SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Schools are forcing kids to have a negative test result before they could come back to school. One kid came back, and said his uncle died (!) so he needed to get three test before he got a clear one to come back. Those poor uh poor families getting expensive test for their free childcare.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-12-15 18:40:44)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

lol at your last paragraph. they’ve already started offering PCR tests in the U.K.  it wouldn’t surprise me if amazon eventually offered an entire line of climate change and global disaster related products. truly the snake at the end of capitalism eating its own tail.
I had to go to a local pharmacy yesterday. They have covid test kits for sale at the front desk. $50. Exploitative.
at the start of the pandemic a bunch of tory MP's mates quickly set-up testing businesses with zero prior experience in the industry. the conservative government then made it a rule for the first phase of the pandemic that anyone who wanted a 'non-essential' test, i.e. who wasn't symptomatic, had to go to a private company and couldn't rely on the NHS's resources. that sounds fair enough and all, until you realize how much money these politician's mates were making, hand over fist. i paid almost $400 for 2x tests before i flew out to korea. fair enough in my case, but a lot of people probably had to pay a ridiculously high rate in more pressing circumstances.

plenty of controversies have arisen about politicians 'fast-tracking' these companies through the procurement and contract phase. in the name of a 'national emergency' apparently regular protocols for government contracting didn't need to be abided by. if this happened in a third-world nation, we'd call it what it is: rampant corruption.

totally exploitative. this pandemic has been an occasion to print money for a certain segment of the elite.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Parents shouldn't have to pay for a mandatory covid test so their kids can go to their mandatory school. That should just be free.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Parents shouldn't have to pay for a mandatory covid test so their kids can go to their mandatory school. That should just be free.
fark you guys pay for tests? they're free here in aussieland and you get a result within 24 hours. my exp had 12 hours at most and 6 hours at quickest.

then again you guys can go bankrupt for getting too sick

Last edited by Cybargs (2021-12-16 01:26:24)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The answer to that is it depends? Where/when you test, whether or not it was free of charge or you're due reimbursement, etc? Supposed to be free, to some, I guess? To all? Insurance? No insurance?? Just follow the signs to "free covid testing," but from what I've read, those have been scaled back in some areas late last year. I don't really see it on display during my errands. Honestly couldn't tell you if I could go into a pharmacy and ask for a free test, and then get one.

This country's response to the pandemic has been so messed up. Poor communication further muddled by all the Trump stuff, feet dragged by state authorities.

e: See D&ST chat for another joyful American health anecdote.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-12-16 01:38:32)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The answer to that is it depends? Where/when you test, whether or not it was free of charge or you're due reimbursement, etc? Supposed to be free, to some, I guess? To all? Just follow the signs to "free covid testing," but from what I've read, those have been scaled back in some areas late last year. I don't really see it on display during my errands.

This country's response to the pandemic has been so messed up. Poor communication further muddled by all the Trump stuff, feet dragged by state authorities.
the only paid testing in aus is for when you need to fly and that's an airline thing cos they want the "certificate from a private clinic".

what if you get the coof, is the govt still covering it or out of pocket now?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yes, but no, but maybe yes, also no? The vaccines were pretty straightforward once I was eligible. Other services are all over the place. It's supposed to be free, but sometimes people still get billed and don't know they can contest it. Heck, I've been billed for an unrelated doctor's appointment I've never been to, halfway across the state. I had to call to get them to investigate their own system. Got one call back saying they were escalating the investigation. Never got another call back, but also no more letters.

Who’s going to pay for Covid-19 treatment?
https://www.advisory.com/topics/covid-1 … -treatment

The federal government has already passed legislation requiring private insurers, Medicare, Medicaid to cover testing for the novel coronavirus and coronavirus-related doctor visits without any cost to the patient.

However, when it comes to the question of who’s going to pay for Covid-19 treatments, the answer is murky. For the majority of people who get Covid-19, symptoms are likely to be mild to moderate and can be treated by resting at home, but for those who require hospitalization, the costs could be very high.
COVID-19 Care for Uninsured Individuals
https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/covid-1 … index.html

What services are covered at no cost?
COVID-19 testing (both diagnostic and antibody)
Testing-related in-person or telehealth visits
COVID-19 treatment and therapeutics
Treatment-related visits at an office, via telehealth, in an emergency room, for inpatient or outpatient/observation, at a skilled nursing facility, or for long-term acute care (LTAC), rehabilitation care, and home health
Use of medical equipment (e.g. oxygen, ventilator, etc.)
Ambulance for emergency transportation and non-emergent transfers
Have you been billed for COVID-19 tests or treatment? You may be due a reimbursement
https://news.yahoo.com/billed-covid-19- … 00389.html

"We tell people to call all the time just to make sure. And a lot of times, insurance companies are good at telling you where to go to get it covered 100%. A lot of people are just scared to call their insurance company," Smith said. "Get the name of who you talk to in case you get the wrong information."
Americans are often scared to call their insurance for stuff out of fear of punitive rate hikes. Completely cowed. This country is so shit in some ways. All this Star Trek healthcare and people sometimes just can't afford it without financial ruin.

I know guys who won't even call for scratch & dents because of rate hike fear.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-12-16 01:50:25)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

An Amazon driver was told she would be fired if she stopped delivering packages during tornado warnings: report
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-d … 25229.html

lmao

bullet points:

-The driver was told she'd be fired if she returned to base amid tornado sirens, Bloomberg reported.
-Returning would "end with you not having a job," the supervisor said, according to the report.
-Amazon said the driver's supervisor didn't follow the standard safety protocols.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Consumers are to blame mostly, few people need their frippery absolutely same day.

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Er, Amazon defaults to the shortest possible delivery time. I think they used to do a thing where you could opt into a longer period for credit to your next purchase, but I haven't seen that in a bit. For Prime users, longer delivery times actually cost more money than taking free Prime shipment.

Amazon needs a bigger workforce, better work environment, and an overhaul of their corporate culture. Other warehouse jobs are pretty horrible too, but Amazon has a special place in the spotlight. Boycott x isn't going to accomplish much on its own without unions or legislation forcing reason down the throats of greedy companies.

As your spring made circles around the Caribbean, do you think the workers involved were living their best lives?
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Consumers are to blame mostly, few people need their frippery absolutely same day.

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down.
LOL this bullshit again. ‘consumer power can change the oil companies’ and, also, evidently bring down amazon now too.

if only people decided to have a coffee and buy a hardback at their local book store once a fortnight, maybe amazon would have ended their rapacious practices 10 years ago?

dilbert: OMFG why is my spring taking so long to come.
also dilbert: it’s the iDiOcRacY, everyone needs to be patient and wait, get some patience people.

i’m sure all the delivery drivers, warehouse distribution staff, customer support lackeys, etc, involved in your spring debacle were paid extremely well and not exploited at all. nope. it’s not like your own consumer choices ever contribute to this state of affairs. nuh-uh.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-17 20:51:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If people didn't want Amazon Prime super-express delivery I'm doubtful they'd offer it.

Thanks to an uncanny ability to forward plan it didn't matter at all that my spring took ~2 months to turn up.

If 2-5 day delivery is the price to pay for van drivers not offing themselves or pissing in bottles then lets go with that.

Same argument for 30 minute pizza - as long as its warmish I couldn't give a crap if its 30 or 60 or 90 minutes and I'll be happy to pay the same, not see the crestfallen look in some guys face as I smirk at him and point to my stopwatch which shows 30:23 and getting it half price comes out of his wages.
uziq
+492|3422
it's not expectations of fast delivery that crushes these people, it's the sheer volume and the obvious fact that businesses want to cut their costs and shave their efficiencies as much as possible.

good luck explaining to your new business philosophy of 'lente, lente' to companies in highly competitive industries. 'just take your time with that pizza, man, don't worry about the 125 other pizza stores in this city that will smoke you into closure'.

you're a genius.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't particularly "want" the super fast delivery. I can afford to wait on a lot of stuff. But why would I switch my order to a $14.99 shipping fee when I already have Prime? Amazon's problems don't necessarily stem from fast delivery. It's the way the company treats people. By the way, the way a lot of companies treat people.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
Amazon warehouses should have a “work will set you free” sign at the front of the warehouses.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Unless there's a tornado warning.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Then the tornado will set you free.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

rofl

This popped up in my playlist for some reason I don't know, so I gave it a look to see what the video thought was good money. Some stuff in there $8 and $10/hr, lmfao. The cheerful music too, I can't. The comments, please stop. "My parents are struggling to make rent so maybe I can do one of these things to help out!"

Do better, world.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Back during virtual last year we had a problem with some kids soft dropping out to work at an Amazon warehouse. Many of them were doing so to support their families. We were told "we can't accept that. We have to do what we need to keep the kids engaged in learning". Honestly questionable response there. No good options.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I have been saying that the inflation and worker shortage is fake news. I finally have proof.

"Southern States Hit Hardest by Inflation as Consumers Flee Northern Covid Restrictions"
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/red … trictions/

In October, the Atlanta metro area led the nation with 7.9 percent inflation. Inflation in both Dallas-Fort Worth and in St. Louis was at 7.5 percent, while the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale inflation rate was 7.1 percent in October. Those are all higher than blue-state cities like New York (5 percent), Boston (5.3 percent), Washington, D.C. (5.8 percent), San Francisco-Oakland (3.8 percent), and Chicago (6 percent).

Economists who spoke to National Review pointed to the general openness of Florida’s and Georgia’s economies throughout the pandemic as likely reasons why inflation has been so pronounced in Tampa and Atlanta. Both cities became popular destinations for people looking to relocate from more locked-down, cold-weather Northern states, and that flood of new residents put intense pressure on the local housing markets.
See the inflation is only happening in southern states. So it isn't even real. The same way the pandemic wasn't real in March 2020.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Nothing inflated is still fuck all.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
They found the Girl Boss Elizabeth Holmes guilty. She faces a of maximum 20 years. They should put her on suicide watch. Look at her eyes. She seems like the desperate type.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
New Jersey Department of Education documents provide an itemized breakdown, as well as laying out the early plan, for the $241 Hoboken school expansion plan that will be on the ballot on January 25th.
The expansion plan, which includes a football field, ice skating rink, pool, 27 general classrooms, and 11 specialized learning rooms, would cost roughly $644 per square foot – or about a $496 tax increase per household – and has drawn strong opinions from both sides.
This is an outrage. About $6 million per classroom? Hoboken might be right across the river from NYC but surely real estate and labor can't be that expensive in the NYC area? Also, an ice skating rink? School should be about learning and not ice skating. The ice rink can be self sustaining by charging the public fees to use it? But the kids will also be skating around doing TikToks and not listening to dad rock. The school will be there for the next 100 years? I won't be here for another 100 years. The school shouldn't be built. I don't want my taxes to be higher. I am a NJ taxpayer. Even though I talk about how much I hate it here and want to live with Ron DeSantis in Florida, I still should have a say in the future of the state. /sarcasm
uziq
+492|3422
sounds great. $6 million per classroom - great for the schoolchildren of new jersey.

and a steal, too. about the cost of a cruise-guided missile.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I wasn't exaggerating when I said the school will be there for a 100 years. There are many schools in region that old or older. While many people will wince at the idea of kids being taught in 100 year old buildings, as long as upgrades and maintenance take place the buildings will be fine.

So $6 million over the course of a minimum of 50 years is only $120,000 per classroom per year.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard