uziq
+492|3422
this youtube channel is very, very good on popular music.

my interest and liking for country music extends about as far as john prine, the maestro.

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Sturgill Simpson is a good modern country singer. Really captures the folk aspect of it.

That debate above was exhausted to it's godawful death when Old Town Road came out and hit country charts.

White people appropriating black culture is as American as Apple Pie.
uziq
+492|3422
really nice selection here, for RTHKI and co. who like to cruise.

uziq
+492|3422
uziq
+492|3422

I brought this home with me and played it. My mother came into the room asking me what it was.  She loved it..  Then she visited those little parties with me...  She asked the DJ for XTC..... she meant this song.  When she passed away in 2000 this was the song played at her funeral. It took me a while even listen to this but now i can even enjoy it.. What a masterpiece......
fuuuccckkkk!
many years ago at a big party just outside Cambridge - that wasn't entirely legal - I met my girlfriend who became my wife while out of my mind dancing to this track!
'It's going hard and going deep now, just like me!!!' I shouted deliriously!
'you wish!' she laughed!
we lived happily ever after, and with the magic of youtube I can remember those nights again.
This was an absolute monster track and the DJ's used to make it last about 1/2 an hour! lol
We're all grown up, children of our own - both in professional jobs - but now and then we like to come to you tube and dance in the living room after several glasses of red wine!!
Joey Beltram Brooklyn Dj !!!  I remember first hearing this track on a Friday night at the Sound Factory back in Dec 1990 and Joey Beltram was sitting on the bleachers and just looking amazed at  how his track blew everyone away on those amazing speakers of the Sound Factory. This was not Techno form Detroit it was a new and dark sound from Brooklyn. This track sent Techno into a whole different direction
Walked into the madness that was "RainDance" 1990 in East London and this was playing, i cannot describe that feeling.. Anyone who was lucky to experience those times 1987-95 back in England will know what I'm talking about...
I feel blessed to have witnessed the whole scene unfold, absolute carnage at times but truly life changing...
the youtube comments on early rave tracks are one of my favourite micro-genres of the internet.
Larssen
+99|1857
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

Seen clips of it throughout the week but never actually listened until now.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Heard the radio edit of this song on the radio. The chorus is catchy as hell.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

heard it for the first time a few days back and had to buy the album. Where was I when this (mixtape?) came out? I'm 16 years late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu-Tang_M … ie_Culture
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Fuck.
uziq
+492|3422
lol are you just discovering that now? this definitely confirms you as a boomer.

he's been a frequent face on the experimental music scene since the mid-2000s. very popular in the UK magazine music press for his projects.

i have a few of his records, none from the 'everywhere ...' series (they are fucking expensive; were repressed recently and immediately sold out again), but he did similar dementia-based pieces in the 2000s under different aliases. i have a great soundtrack he did for a w.g. sebald biopic, 'patience, after sebald', which works with old schubert recordings. great stuff.

so weird how he has attained a sort of worldwide fame because of a tiktok meme. literally gen-z'ers started listening to that album series as some sort of social trend. this was aroundabout the time that a bunch of 13-year-olds were circulating communist memes on tiktok too. what a wild, wild world we are living in.

that album has 20 million views, which is pretty unheard of from that corner of experimental musics. the only other release i can think of with a similar breakout story is william basinski's 'disintegration loops', which are also about 6 hours long, and instead based on watching the towers come down on 9/11.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-28 08:08:36)

uziq
+492|3422

1981, drummer/vocalist from yellow magic orchestra.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I posted a video I was "listening to right now," as per thread title. That doesn't mean it's the first time I've heard (parts of) it, but it's the first time I've attempted to background a whole 6-and-a-half hour compilation of it during a gaming session. Such a strange thing to have to defend against.

I've probably posted stuff here over a hundred years old that I first listened to 30 some odd years ago.

I don't participate on tiktok or give the platform much attention. Much less pay attention to what the 13yos up to. I didn't know it was A Thing there, but I guess that explains why it popped up on my sidebar.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah it’s totally unheard of for an experimental drone album to have 22 million listens on youtube! it became a firestorm and a ‘tiktok challenge’. kids were making memes of themselves listening to it and facing their own mortality or something, lmao.

no need to be defensive, i’m hardly attacking you. i think it’s wild that such a niche corner of music went global.
uziq
+492|3422

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-28 09:04:11)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Relax, it's bf2s. Burnzz would have sent you like 10 pms by now.

I was really surprised to see it pop again tbh. Conscious of the subject matter, this probably wouldn't be my first choice of tiktok meme challenges if I was a kid who lived around fading, elderly family. Speaking from experience, a family member who had a whole battery of cancers, including brain. But then I did grow up without an ipad and had a buffer zone between my developmental years and when the internet really took off.
uziq
+492|3422
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Cringe. Oh well, according to the description the artist at least seems hopeful that it'll some message reach young people.

Anyway, it set a good tone for a fallout-style wasteland for about a couple hours before I began to jump back and forth to more appropriate spots for what was going on. More indie games seriously need some sort of jukebox mode to where you can make your own settings for dynamic music selection, off of weblinks or your own files.
uziq
+492|3422
i read and work to music like the caretaker/william basinski a lot.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've gotta be in a particular mood for super long listening sessions with just music, but pretty easy to compartmentalize it when doing other stuff. Still usually silence for novels though.
uziq
+492|3422
try reading a cormac mccarthy novel like blood meridian to a morricone soundtrack. it'll change ya life.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Funny you should mention that when James Franco came up recently, he was apparently going to direct an adaptation before that project fell through. I do wonder how violent whoever gets to do it, if ever, will make it.
uziq
+492|3422
james franco has for a long time owned a movie production company that makes absolutely fucking terrible adaptations of literary classics. and, surprise surprise, he casts himself in the starring role of all of them. notably he has produced several william faulkner novels from the yoknapatawpha county books ... and he's the main lead in all of them.

guy is a grade-A asshat and was enabled for so long. he was even given a creative writing class at NYU, i think, as well as being admitted for a PhD in literature in yale. if you read the guy's poetry books (lol another venture), you will know he has absolutely no fucking business teaching writing or researching at yale.

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-28 11:21:27)

uziq
+492|3422
also:

https://twitter.com/leylandkirby/status … 17193?s=21

streaming and normie culture absolutely sucks for these artists who are trying to scrape a living.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

he was even given a creative writing class at NYU, i think, as well as being admitted for a PhD in literature in yale.
Lol so he is way better than you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard