unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

More recent news for the Carolinas:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - A sophomore student at Hawthorne Academy High School was suspended late last month after reporting being sexually assaulted by a male classmate.

[…]

“The school did their investigation, gave me a phone call, and said, ‘Hey, look, unfortunately, it looks like there’s no evidence that shows that what your daughter saying took place,’ the mother said.

[…]

In addition to suspending the female student, CMS is also making her attend a class called “Sexual Harassment is Preventable.”
https://www.wbtv.com/2021/11/01/cms-stu … tType=apps

Assuming for the moment that she did lie: why would the school make her take a class on how to not be sexually harassed if the she wasn't attacked? They should make her take a class on "honesty" instead according to their assertion, and offer her male victim support in seeking legal retribution.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Not the first time for stuff like this, obviously.

Aug. 17, 2011— -- A special needs student who was suspended and forced to write an apology to a boy she accused of raping her is now suing the school because she was raped a second time when she was allowed to return to school.

The seventh grader in Republic, Mo., was suspended a second time when she accused the boy of raping her a second time, according to court documents.

A police investigation later substantiated her claims and the boy confessed to the assaults, court papers state.

Nevertheless, the Republic School District in Missouri responded to the suit on July 29, calling the allegations "frivolous" and having "no basis in fact or law."
https://abcnews.go.com/US/special-stude … d=14325659

Moving to the American south sounds like something that should definitely up there on someone's priorities list. At the very least, I'm assuming your parents aren't planning on raising more children?

I would have to be desperate to downsize to move to a state where Trump lead Clinton by 14% (slightly more in Missouri) just for slightly cheaper prices on overpriced homes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I don't get what goes through the head of admin when they punish accusers like that.

I am not sure what the whole procedure for that is but at what point should you involve the police? I don't think the police even have special units to deal with juvenile cases like this. The cops that have shown up to take statements from schools are typical beat cops. Urban commando uniforms, pig behavior and mentality.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Not the first time for stuff like this, obviously.

Aug. 17, 2011— -- A special needs student who was suspended and forced to write an apology to a boy she accused of raping her is now suing the school because she was raped a second time when she was allowed to return to school.

The seventh grader in Republic, Mo., was suspended a second time when she accused the boy of raping her a second time, according to court documents.

A police investigation later substantiated her claims and the boy confessed to the assaults, court papers state.

Nevertheless, the Republic School District in Missouri responded to the suit on July 29, calling the allegations "frivolous" and having "no basis in fact or law."
https://abcnews.go.com/US/special-stude … d=14325659

Moving to the American sounds like something that should definitely up there on someone's priorities list. At the very least, I'm assuming your parents aren't planning on raising more children?

I would have to be desperate to downsize to move to a state where Trump lead Clinton by 14% (slightly more in Missouri) just for slightly cheaper prices on overpriced homes.
Both parents are in their fifties. My mom is already retired and has her NJ state pension. My dad is also looking to retire. They are going to buy a small place and patiently wait for death I guess.

You know moving to the south to retire is basically a Northeastern U.S. tradition? It's like salmon going up the river. You go to the south to retire.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Doesn't make any sense to me. Would you order a student to take a class on how to avoid the thing that "didn't" happen to them? Also sounds like a class that maybe all students should take as a matter of fact, if there's any merit to it. And not just the one student you think lied about being raped in the first place.

I dunno, what do your admin classes have to say on this sort of thing?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I would probably want something to do during a 50s "retirement," other than rot in front of endless soap operas. The extra spending money would be nice. Making stuff to sell on etsy at the very least.

Plenty of people working in decades beyond.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
My mom is too sick to work. She has MS. My dad could and probably will keep working but much less than before.
Larssen
+99|1857
Both sides of the family my grandfathers ended up 90+. I'm not sure if my parents will get there, but it's possible. Personally if I can't find anything to do I'll probably off myself in retirement. Fuck being old and useless for 30+ years. Seeing old people who are not only in physical but obvious mental decline is just sad to me. Many do indeed end up 'waiting to die'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

Both sides of the family my grandfathers ended up 90+. I'm not sure if my parents will get there, but it's possible. Personally if I can't find anything to do I'll probably off myself in retirement. Fuck being old and useless for 30+ years. Seeing old people who are not only in physical but obvious mental decline is just sad to me. Many do indeed end up 'waiting to die'.
Offing yourself when you get old...very cucked. I look forward to old age in order to experiment with dangerous drugs. I want to try some crack, meth, heroin, and whatever new stuff Gen B invents. Also video games.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I've read some articles saying that millennials are more likely to die prematurely due to suicide than previous generations. One of the things cited is economic downturn, money woes, reduced career opportunities. Something to keep in mind the next time a millionaire, comfortably well-off, does a narcissistic interview where they tell anyone listening that money doesn't matter or bring happiness. OK, give it all away then. I'm sure that sentiment would work on a landlord as well. "Bro, money won't help you find peace."

I'm sure you're not making fun of suicide victims, anyway.
Larssen
+99|1857
Actually I believe there's several articles which state that money contributes to happiness up to a point. Once you can live in reasonable comfort, any more won't make a difference. Material possessions give a momentary, fleeting high at best.

That bar of 'living comfortable' depends on the area, but generally if you can pay for your own appartment, food, a vacation or two a year, some leisure activities - you're there. The milennial suicide increase has a lot more factors in it than money.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Yes, yes, more factors.
one of the
Anyway, the hot takes from rich people long divorced from inability to meet material need, if they were ever there to begin with, is one of the things I have little time for.

Not to discount their instances of depression and other mental disorders, or interviews where they're frank about that stuff. But at least they can afford treatment and never really have to consider "depending on where you live" in terms of affordable cost of living for themselves (and their family, in addition to the legs up they can offer to succeeding generations).

"I'm so bored stuck in my giant mansion because of this coronavirus!"
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

Actually I believe there's several articles which state that money contributes to happiness up to a point. Once you can live in reasonable comfort, any more won't make a difference. Material possessions give a momentary, fleeting high at best.

That bar of 'living comfortable' depends on the area, but generally if you can pay for your own appartment, food, a vacation or two a year, some leisure activities - you're there. The milennial suicide increase has a lot more factors in it than money.
the issue being that a vanishingly small number of people coming up today, without intergenarational or inherited wealth, even have much hope of reaching this modest-sounding bar.

home ownership is by far the main thing. what good is it being able to pay for an apartment each year and take a few vacations if you're unable to make long-term financial (meaning family) planning? this is literally the main correlate with reduced birth rate. people don't have children when they live in rented, often times shared, short-term accommodation at the whims of their landlord. the picture is doubly bad if you don't have that inherited wealth or (grand)parental stability in the picture. grandparents used to be integral to raising children in large or financially stressed families. well, many gen-z'ers today can't take having that stable parental picture for granted: their own parents are gen-x'ers, not monied boomers. a lot of them are really out on their own and the chances of becoming a homeowner through individual effort and pulling-up-of-bootstraps is vanishingly small.

major news story in the UK press this week is that deep reforms to the social care budget in the UK means that many modestly homed pensioners will have to sell their homes and assets in order to fund their old-age care. that is dire. work your entire life to become a home-owner and save something for your kids; be forced to liquidate all of your assets because you rock up in a dementia home that costs £30,000 a year for the last 7 years of your life. thanks for playing!

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-23 18:51:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Being poor was no fun whatsoever.

Still not sure why the renting class should have to pay out of their taxes so some old person can transfer their house to their kids - isn't that exactly what you were just arguing against? Try to maintain some authenticity.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
there are already large inheritance taxes, which is their function: to ensure that dynastical piles aren't amassed and the wealth gap doesn't grow out of all proportion (not that inheritance tax alone can stem the way that tidal wave is flowing).

what's the incentive to work all your adult life to become a modest single-home owner, when you have to sell it all in old age because the state healthcare/pension – to which you've contributed your whole life – won't cover your social care costs? rentiers, who by definition own property portfolios, and who speculate, leverage their wealth, arrange further mortgages against their tenants' rent incomes, and no doubt utilize canny and expensive financial advisors, etc, are not in the same position at all.

a much criticized aspect of these reforms is, like the poll tax, they will disportionately affect those at the lower-end of the income/property scale. rich, propertied people aren't blemished by things like this because capital accrues capital (read piketty already, it's 2021).

families already pay a decent amount of this burden in the UK, as our social care system is all-but-semi-privatized anyway. my family spent a fortune on my grandfather's dementia care, even pre- these current reforms to the system. most dementia care homes are private-sector-adjacent or only covered in part by a small and nominal NHS grant. as is just considering, you know, your average worker pays into the national insurance/tax system for their entire lives.

if you're talking on behalf of the renters themselves, and accusing me of bad faith, then i'm not sure i follow your argument here. quite apart from my own circumstances, i don't want to live in any society that's so unequal and divided that 'hardworking families' (that tabloid phrase) have to give up their homes during an already tragic enough process of end-of-life care.

Being poor was no fun whatsoever.
your generation had literally no early-life debts, free university, and an easily accessible dole system for the unemployed NEETS. ok boomer. please stop comparing your hardships to everyone else's and making it seem like you're the most hard-done-by, heroic little fellow ever. at least i had the grace to talk about gen-z'ers and people even younger than myself, who are no doubt in a worse position.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-24 02:07:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Inheritance tax kicks in at GBP325,000, many countries don't have it.

You've rambled off. Put simply - why should someone renting and on the breadline effectively subsidise someone to keep their wealth and transfer their house to their kids tax-free?

Most people don't pay enough tax in their lifetime to fund their end of life care, certainly not years of dementia treatment, most people pay no real net tax to fund their normal lifetime service.
Apart from compulsory extreme sports for old people no-one has a real solution.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The Bond villain at Amazon would probably agree with you. "Yes, no real solution. Dunno what to do, so tragic!"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard