DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Had to get a work phone and took delivery of an iPhone 12 since that's what they use. Now so get to learn how Apple phones work as my coworkers inexplicably called me a hipster for not having an iPhone previously.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I didn't realize people still cared what phones others have.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I have an iPhone 12 for work too. I technically had an iPhone 8 for my last job but I did not use it at all so I'm not up to date with the OS. Last one I had before that was a 4S
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

People are still called hipsters?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've never seen a reason to immediately rush out and buy the next gen of phone. Have any of the feature sets been that radically improved from one version to the other?

My replacements come as a phone breaks or out of some other necessity. I've got precisely zero time for the ad-packed environment of android apps. If I could, I'd still be using my old blackberry.
DesertFox-
I do the same approach. I was awed they spend the money to buy previous-gen iPhones for a sizable amount of employees. My personal phone is a Galaxy S10 that I upgraded from a perfectly functional S5 last summer. I was also surprised to learn that you can only swipe up to open it as opposed to any direction on the lock screen. Isn't Apple supposed to be the cutting-edge company? Either way, I started uninstalling some of the bloated crap it comes with since it's only gonna be my work phone. Apparently some people will use their personal Apple accounts and sync things to it but I don't want those worlds colliding.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

RTHKI wrote:

Do you still have a pixel?
Phone upgraded to Android 12 now.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've never seen a reason to immediately rush out and buy the next gen of phone. Have any of the feature sets been that radically improved from one version to the other?

My replacements come as a phone breaks or out of some other necessity. I've got precisely zero time for the ad-packed environment of android apps. If I could, I'd still be using my old blackberry.
i buy new phones in 3-4 year waves. i tend to skip the latest-and-greatest for the more significant 'generational' upgrades.

the iphone seldom reinvents itself. it does get quite a lot more powerful and, well, nice every 3-5 year cycle however.

i've never rushed out to buy the latest phone because i'm normally on a 24month contract. once that expires and i've bought out the phone, i normally keep using it for another year or two. as i've said elsewhere, i generally don't need the most advanced camera sensor or biggest screen. but i think the phones do justify their new price every couple of revisions. my current phone is just about at the end of its life and is noticeably 'old' now.

i was tempted once to buy one of those hipster 'anti-smartphones'. you know, the repackaged and re-released razr or nokia 3310 equivalent. but it's nice being able to videocall home and have a colour screen.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If I could get away with it, I would swap to an old style flip-phone or something like a 3310.

tl;dr, skippable

TBH, my opinion of cellphones as we use them borders on hatred. I don't think I'm being luddite about it or anything. I get their practicality, and as a 90s Simpson episode made a big saccharine push for, usefulness for emergencies. But I watched my dad's free time bleed away from being able to do stuff like hobbies and extended recreational periods to always being always reachable on his cellphone even during sleeping hours (I've made it clear in business that the best way to reach me is through email first, land line second, during office hours, and have avoided the trap of taking extra calls to lighten the load on higher ups). I also dislike the way cellphones have insinuated themselves into popular culture. Books, movies, the lot. Opening scene: woman at table smiling down at her product-placed smartphone. Barf.

("You've Got Mail" 1/10 just because it was bad enough hearing that line from your computer)

Android-wise, I dislike the clunky interface. I don't like the updates that mess with my settings and navigations. I don't like that it once overshot my data limit because I didn't tell it to not update when not connected to wi-fi (why isn't that default?). I don't like the ad-infested apps. I don't like the app-store (or the Windows app store for that matter), and dislike having yet another device to police for malware, and having to install apps to do that. I don't like that I can't minimize a window with the audio still running, out of the box (damn you youtube). I don't like having to navigate through a bunch of stuff to text or make a call. I don't like that there's no tactile feedback and I have to check the screen to make sure I'm inputting the right stuff. I don't really like texting. I don't like the "typing" interface. I don't like reading and writing emails. I don't like the file transfer interfaces and having to use stuff like google drive for shit (I've sometimes just snapped a photo of my monitor to get a picture I need when in a hurry). I don't like the new interface program that pops up when you connect it to a windows device. It all feels very half-assed and I feel like this stuff could've been designed a whole lot better.

Of lesser importance, I loathe the hypocrisy of how it's fine to play mobile games on your phone, but dedicated systems like a DS or a PSP, with games that don't constantly ask me to buy pay-to-skip crystals or some other garbage, are considered "too kiddie." Fuck off, ima play Zelda or Castlevania or Street Fighter or some shit. You have fun with your $300 investment into Bungle Boggle 3.

I've been slowly coming around to the note aspect of my galaxy note, but that too is flawed. The screen is soapy-gloss, which makes for a really unsatisfying surface to write on. And since the screen wraps around the edges, it's not a very good surface for a protector that might have a bit more texture (if I ever try to apply one again, I'll have to try cutting some some width from the edges, as the sharp wrap-around is a huge point of failure for the seal). So I still carry pens and a notepad.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
If I don't feel like answering my phone I don't.
Most things can wait.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

But do you have a moment to watch an ad about Raid: Shadow Legends? Enter the code below and you can get a limited-time only shotgun hobo and 4,000 (4,000!) kumquats!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Why don't you like texting? Texting has improved my quality of life. Same with Facebook. It's easier to keep in communication with people when you use texting and Facebook. I assume all of the people on Reddit who hate Facebook are upset their sad and/or nerd shit doesn't get likes.

Also, I know I just defended Facebook but it also just popped up on my screen with the birthday of a friend who died in 2018. Thanks, Facebook.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Overall, I prefer texting over phone calls. I don't get sucked into excessive niceties on what is supposed to be a practical phone call, or have to be a captive audience to the latest unrelated anecdotes (especially in areas with other people where I shouldn't just sneak it on speaker and set it on my desk while I do something else).

But I don't like the interface, and find thumbing or scribbling a message to be way more tedious than typing out an email on a keyboard. Also I don't like being glued to my texting app for long periods of time when I'm talking with someone who would interpret a 40 minute delay between responses as disrespect. At least with email, I could get back to someone in the morning and it wouldn't seem exceptional. Also text-only communication has its flaws. Easy to misconstrue what people are saying, especially in the curt, abbreviated style of texts. Attaching pictures still feels clunky in 2021, but is pretty useful.

I've mentioned before that I keep a hollowed-out facebook account as a name placeholder. But I don't use the service, zero cares for facebook likes. They have groups if you want to do nerd shit on facebook, but the website is tyrannical, unpredictable, and abusable.

Imagine voluntarily participating in a social media that might ask you for a current picture to confirm a new account after your old one was canceled by report-trolls. Super pass on joining any groups or ever making comment on something political.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am not going to defend Facebook though I think it is minor league compared to the more problematic social media things like Streamers.

"Streamer who maced unsuspecting African American man and then yelled that he had a gun did the same thing two days ago to another man before yelling that he was touching a girl"
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … _american/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

People are still called hipsters?
Wait, people who don't have iphones are hipsters now?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I would like to own an iphone someday.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-10-21 19:59:46)

DesertFox-
That's what struck me, too. In their minds, with iPhone being the majority of the market share, the only reason you wouldn't have one is because you're trying to be different and cool. Idk. It's dumb and wrong, but they're like 24 year olds at most.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Iphone has majority market share in like 5 countries anyway. They are the ones that are in the minoritt!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
https://asset.msi.com/resize/image/global/product/product_8_20190527092823_5ceb3d37db42c.png62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/1024.png

Can I stream 4K video from a NAS through that USB Type C port to my PC?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Theoretically with USB-C as the slowest link, you could stream 400 4k videos at the same time via USB-C.

Direct from the NAS via USB-C to your machine? Yeah probably. If you're going from the NAS to your local router to your computer? Still almost assuredly but a shitty router or ethernet cables from the 90s or bad wiring could all put a damper on that.

The real question is do the videos on the NAS need transcoding? Or are they direct play? I don't know how many NAS's have the hardware to transcode 4k videos on the fly. Some 720p DVDs sure, but 4k is hard on them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Sorry if my follow questions are derp derp derp.

pirana6 wrote:

Theoretically with USB-C as the slowest link, you could stream 400 4k videos at the same time via USB-C.
So the SS-10 USB C is good enough to stream 4K? Great.

Direct from the NAS via USB-C to your machine? Yeah probably. If you're going from the NAS to your local router to your computer? Still almost assuredly but a shitty router or ethernet cables from the 90s or bad wiring could all put a damper on that.
Going to run straight from the NAS to the PC via USB-C.

The real question is do the videos on the NAS need transcoding? Or are they direct play? I don't know how many NAS's have the hardware to transcode 4k videos on the fly. Some 720p DVDs sure, but 4k is hard on them.
What is transcoding? The files are MP4.

In other news...the new nvme drive for my PC is a noticeable upgrade in speed.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What is transcoding? The files are MP4.
Transcoding is on-the-fly conversion from whatever their current format is into whatever you're playing on. It would be necessary if you had them in, for example, .m4v and were watching them on an iPhone elsewhere in the world and they needed to be .mov. It takes a bit of computing power (especially if they're 4k) so you'll often need a nice computer to help. Since you're directly playing them as their current format AND on your locally connected computer, all you're sending over the USB-C is the raw data.
You'll have no problem at all.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Android 12 has randomly generated theme colors based on background color. Kinda like it. My background is randomly generated so I never know what color my theme will be. ATM it has a purple tint.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3422
dropped into the apple store here last week to look at the much-awaited M1 Max/Pro models (i.e. the full-sized 16 inch macbook pros).

i was possibly holding my time to get one of these last year but, considering 'rona delays, and the fact they weren't released until almost 1.5yr after the appearance of the original apple silicon 13 inch, i feel kind of glad i didn't.

the new top-end models with apples' chip architecture are ferociously fast. let's just say that. i think it's probably one of the best-performing laptops ever. the new apple silicon chips with their integrated CPU/GPU/RAM w/ machine learning ability makes the day-to-day use of this thing, to say nothing of its rendering/design/crunching ability, absolutely top end. bravo to apple for driving the moribund market forward away from being shackled to the flabby and tardy recent gains of Intel/AMD.

the new screens are apparently industry-leading. but i can't labour that here as i was in an overlit apple store and, uh, talking about how a screen looks via text ... very nice i guess.

but oh my god ... they look fucking hideous. the new case/chassis feels plasticy and very thick, almost like the mid-2000s plastic macbooks, and with a huge, rubber-feeling keyboard, too. it's honestly like leaping 15 years into the past (i had a thick, black-matte, plastic macbook at university, so i'm not altogether averse to them; but still). the recent run of razor-thin MBPs with sleek metal designs blow them out of the water.

now, the good about this decision: finally they've reintroduced much-needed connectivity. SD card readers, several non-Lightning ports, etc. hoorah for actual design professionals. no more dongles and splitter wires. i must, say, though, that some of the reintroductions seem mystifying. after 5 years of pushing the industry towards USB-3/thunderbolt monitors, we now have a HDMI port again. when's the last time anyone used a HDMI port? wtf?

it's also great for the (at this point much-needed) airflow. the latest-gen cool appropriately at high loads now, whereas for the last few years the Intel CPUs have experienced sometimes pretty merciless throttling under constant load. it seems apple has finally refocused on performance over pure design ... but, oh my god, did the new compromised design have to be quite so ugly? it's heavy, thick/bulky, plastic-feeling ... all in all doesn't feel like a $3,500+ product.

https://www.xda-developers.com/files/2021/10/MacBook-Pro-M1-Max-2021-XDA-ssdffeffke289900099-1024x683.jpg

oh and they got rid of the touch bar. meh. it was a neat feature but which probably needlessly added to the cost of the thing. they've also finally updated the front-facing webcam to their newer face-recognition sensors @ 1080p. neat but way overdue.

think my next apple purchase will be an iphone 14. safely sticking with my current 16" MBP for the next 4–5 years. i'll let apple silicon bed-in as a technology and hope they meanwhile sort out the god-ugly design aesthetic of this first generation.

https://www.cnet.com/a/img/q9r1_uUf7UwupfHHA1IOIXoriqk=/940x528/2021/10/23/3f7efb9e-d587-45ff-a0a8-056d81bc102e/macbook-pro-2021-cnet-review-21.jpg

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-06 17:49:07)

DesertFox-
*quickly glances around for anyone else who also uses HDMI all the time*

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard