uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

Extra money to stay rarely works, the same irritations and frustrations remain.
I think four years in any company is about right.
this is totally true. as a result of your restlessness, you'll just spaff that extra money up the wall on some hobby-like distraction or luxury trip. it'll slip through your fingers like sand and you'll find yourself still in the same place.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I signed a consulting contract today to "ease the transition". $100/hour, no limit on hours. Win win!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Job offer on Friday - taking it.

My current position is pretty dull despite decent pay. I'm taking a small pay cut and an enormous title cut to start at the bottom at a much smaller company. It'll be more exciting and at a company of 800 instead of 80,000 I can go back to feeling like I have actual input into things. I probably don't and I realize that, but it'll be better than knowing for certain I don't.
I've only been at my current job for a year so I feel guilty for leaving so soon, but that's the way it goes I suppose. I took my current position a year ago to get out of an awful job and this wasn't great but it was the perfect hold-over until I found something better... and here I am.

At my current place hard work was not rewarded. With so many people they had rules in place on who could get raises and promotions. I don't disagree with that because with nepotism or just generous managers, some people could move up the ladder but under the radar. Once a company gets big enough they need rules on how often people can be promoted.

With a small company I can show off how hard of a worker I actually am - something every previous boss has told me - so now I can finally make this company better, actually see results, and be rewarded for it. Aside from starting at the bottom I'm excited, but this is the opening they had so I'm going to get in there and impress the shit out of them.

I'll start in 3 weeks.

Last edited by pirana6 (2021-10-10 12:48:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Congratulations.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The continuing education requirements of my job is onerous. They just dropped two more classes on me to complete on top of the two I am taking now. I had just finished another one last week. That is a total of 5 graduate classes in the fall on top of work. This is the minimum I need to take get full credentialed for the subset of education I do.

In order to make up for the lost time of these extra classes, I stopped producing new assignments and am using the same ones from last year. I also do not review any assignments. I just check to see if the adults at the adult education center submitted something and I put a 'complete' for it.

70 adult students x 5 daily assignments = 350 gradable assignments per week. It is manageable if I didn't have to come home to do school work of my own.

The funny thing is that all of this continuing education stuff they are making me do is actually making me less effective. Even funnier: I suspect that now that I reached the threshold of "just put an A on it" I won't go back.

Uzique wrote:

Maybe you should quit if you don't care about the blah blah blah
50% of the people in my field quit after the first 5 years. Maybe the problem isn't 100% me.
uziq
+492|3423
teaching does has a very high attrition rate. but it’s not exactly med school, or even nursing, and the rates are nowhere near as bad as higher-education and employment in the college sector.

plus didn’t you choose this job because of the raft of public pensions and benefits? aren’t you already trying to ascend to some bureaucrat role? i don’t see it as surprising nor fearsome that most people aren’t ‘teachers for life’. it takes a very specific sort of person.

same thing happens in the U.K.  we train lots of schoolteachers on graduate schemes fresh out of university but a great many end up quitting before they reach any sort or career seniority in their mid-30s. mostly people do 3-5 years of teaching because it comes with a nice payoff deal for our student loan system. a few years ago, back in my graduating cohort, they were offering cash bonuses and even Mini cars to graduates with top honours.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Thanks for the pep talk. I was having a really bad day yesterday.

The graduate work doesn't seem too bad. I guess. The extra classes they dumped on me can be converted to full credit courses later.

So if I wanted a M.A.T. in Educational Technology, I would only need 20ish credits instead of 30ish. 20ish credits isn't easy but it is doable. The only thing that would make me not want to do it is the fact that credits are $1000ish each. So I would be looking at $20 to 30 thousand in order to get a degree and training to use 21st century tech in the whatever room.

I guess they need to make credits expensive or people would just keep loading up on classes and inflating their education credentials but it is also not a good thing that it would cost at least $20,000 to become a more qualified whatever.
uziq
+492|3423
$20k is about the same as a one-year postgraduate course here. postgraduate courses can very easily be seen as investments in future earning potential. you could even take a loan and pay it off over 3 years or whatever. your future earnings increase would more than make up for it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I know it is am investment and I am just going about in pity for myself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

pirana6 wrote:

Job offer on Friday - taking it.
Working at a giant company can be pretty dehumanizing. But a place with 2, 3, or 20 people throughout its whole system, stuff can get way too personal, in a bad way. Three figures is when I'd expect proper structure and some measure of stability to be in place.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Feel like I'm comedic relief for one of our quality guys today. Keeps walking by when doing a project like using ferris buellers day off to test an auditorium sound system for an upcoming zoom call or using my face 30 times to trial moving to a digital employee photo board or stealing a speaker for the audio test from another area.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Maybe he wants to date you and this is his way of getting your attention.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
He's got a girlfriend and is like 60
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Amazing self control to make it to 60 and not live life as an open homosexual.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
+45,000 on Reddit
https://i.redd.it/icyq14ki91w71.jpg
Reminds me of the engineer/IT talk here.

IT people think they are the only ones who deal with dumb stuff. I deal with annoying stuff and you don't see me making the kids feel bad about themselves, huffing and puffing, and catching attitudes with co-workers.

Different careers attract different types of people.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
theyre kids not adults
uziq
+492|3423
IT types and engineers tend to be introspective cucked types who think their profession is the only one with ‘arcane’ knowledge. they think they’re scholar-priests of the tech age and the layman just doesn’t get their divine mysteries. keepers of the sacred secrets!

also yeah, you’re right, they notoriously have terrible interpersonal skills. the IT guys at my publishing house always act like they’re doing you a massive favour when they have to reset a password or jimmy an office 365 account. it’s like, shut up you dork, all of our jobs involve mundane tasks too. it would be like me rolling my eyes every time an author asked an obvious question or needed help.

they spend most of their time circlejerking on reddit and watching anime when nobody is looking too. then they pretend they have a really hard job. lol.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't know if he was trying to bait me or dilbert, but honestly mac's one of the last people on this forum who should be complaining about karening in other jobs, when he spends like half his posts here talking about how annoying his students are and his classes are and rules and administration are. "I can't bring my SS cap to class!" And then his Epic Bad Day at the comic book store.

I worked in IT, not all of us were dicks about working on little stuff. I fixed stuff in schools, at college, and at an apprenticeship of sorts. Little IT stuff is probably a little like a dentist having to teach a middle aged man have to brush and floss, again. They probably know how to do it. It's probably been explained to them a hundred times. But they just don't bother.

For computers, at some point I have to guess that it's either a maintained image, or a subconscious block. Cheerfully, "yeah, I don't know anything about The Computer, it's all over my head!" It's one thing if a computer guy snidely rolls his eyes at someone who doesn't know how to enter safe mode and throw down with the command prompt. But like come on, Joyce, you've been using computers for the last 35 years. If you can turn on the office light, you don't need me to walk you through where the power switch is on the back of your computer.

"No, it should be easy, just look behind your computer for the black switch. I-in for on, O for off.
"OK I did it but it did nothing."
"There's a power button on the front of your computer. Give that a poke too."
"OK, it did nothing. The computer is still off. I need to get work done!!"
"Alright, I'm on my way."
*puts 10 other projects on hold, marches across campus, sets the switch on the back of the computer to on from its off position, pokes the power button on front, computer turns on*
*embarrassed* "Wow, it worked for you but not for me!"
"Glad to help, have a nice day."

Doing a very mundane computing task doesn't make you a "geek," and many are far less complicated than swiping the unlock pattern on your phone, People who still remember how to change the ribbon on a typewriter but panic at the thought of taking five seconds to swap a printer drum.

https://i.imgur.com/g9RpAL8.jpg

Gets some people sooooo angry when it's asked. "What, do you think I'm stupid? Of course I tried that!" Not even an insult, sometimes it just works.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That said, yes. Even in my experience, IT types were sometimes a little less personable than people I met in art classes. I don't think it's fair to just assume the stereotype though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
People tend to already be angry when they contact IT support, I'm sure it doesn't help.
Easier to then call the IT guy a dick than admit you did something stupid.
Sometimes they are though, one refused to consider hardware faults could be the issue, another deliberately created hardware faults.

Of engineers I've found electronics and software engineers to be the worst.
They have to be, or should be, rigourous and keep up with technology but otherwise have an easy ride.
Fixing mistakes is easy, rewrite a line of code or rejig a circuit, and its funny how its expected they need multiple iterations to fix schoolboy errors but mechanical, civil etc have to exceed every spec and meet every cost target first time.
I'm not sure how it takes longer to get a simple PCB working than it took to take the P51 Mustang from a sketch to combat. Clearly circuit layout takes much pondering and ego-pampering.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The college IT department I worked in had a really cruel, juvenile (change one letter and it becomes horrible) nickname for one of the teachers whose class I took in later years. She turned out to be one of the nicer people I met on campus.

@dilbert small-scale electronics are super finicky.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Um yes I know, they're still circuits and unless you're doing some tricky analogue thing they should work.

"Oops we got the voltage the wrong way round on those pins, lets try again!"

"We broke all the design rules and didn't use the supplier model circuit, why it doesn't work is a mystery, gonna need a few weeks troubleshooting"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I barely got into all that while throwing together circuits on breadboards. It was amazing what could cause that to fail. Sabotaging other student's projects was an actual class activity, for two of the three major classes. It's like we were all in evil wizard school trying to one-up each other with trolls that would be very unlikely to be found in the wild. I had some of the most successful ones. Particularly proud of the big fat resistor I put in plain sight directly between power and ground, but not on my victim's breadboard.

I don't remember exactly how long he spent poking around with the multimeter, but I do remember a sniggering audience once they were clued into what I'd done.

e: another was a simple print-and-clear loop in the autoexec of a windows startup error. legit sanctioned bullying. 98% sure i mentioned these before, but whatever.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-10-27 21:38:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

From social justice media:

Will probably die in usersub (and I hope it does so I can delete it in the morning because being honest scares me but I’ve got no one to talk to)
I teach math (high school at the moment) and I’m in my tenth year. I wanted to teach since I was in high school myself and I really clicked with math in college. I was always working as a tutor or guitar teacher even before college.But in the ten years since I’ve been doing it professionally I’ve come to hate it. I’ve been in most situations: urban, suburban, rural, public, private charter and some have been better than others but my love of teaching has just been beaten out of me. From admins and leaders that undervalue us and our time (dont get me started on what counts as “professional development” or the unnecessary meetings and form filling) while constantly demanding more and more from us to classes growing bigger and bigger to students who are getting more difficult to *manage* let alone *teach* I’m at my wits end.
I’ve been trying to work up the courage to maybe leave my current school or maybe teaching altogether but I really don’t know what to do. My friends and family are tired of hearing me complain about it because it’s a lot of what I talk about. Idk what to do but I need to make a change.
TLDR Sad teacher is sad

https://imgur.com/gallery/RDYno3O
Sounds quite macbeth. Even has the part about how he'll delete it later (why are teachers like this?).

Mac: is this on your wavelength?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Teachers don't usually take their work frustration out on their students. You never hear someone say "that IT guy believed in me and changed my life" or "you were my favorite IT guy".

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard