unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I bought a $499 500 piece craftsman tool set half a decade ago from Sears. Used special offers and sales to get it down to like $350. Absolutely no complaints from it. I only use it for home stuff. I assume a lot of complaints about the very real decline in Sears parts quality is due to people not understanding the market Sears is pitching to. If your livelihood depends on your tools, buy tools from a business like Snap On. Don't buy tools from the store that also has the Martha Stewart home collection down the aisle. You wouldn't buy a TV from Sears either.
Sears has a lengthy history of catering to many needs. It failed for a lot of reasons.

Digital Transformation and the Downfall of Sears
https://www.cleo.com/blog/downfall-of-sears

Among tool buyers, there was a perception that Sears was going to crap, and not because of clothes, or TVs, or the overpowering perfume aisle you had to brave when exiting the store into a mall proper.

wiki wrote:

Warranty

Most Craftsman hand tools are advertised as having an unlimited lifetime warranty.[27] This lifetime warranty program was instituted by Sears when they began selling the Craftsman line in 1927.[28] This warranty program requires no receipt or dated proof of purchase. If the owner takes the item into a local retail store, it may be replaced or repaired free of charge.[29]

The full text of the warranty is as follows:

If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.[30]
Wide-eyed wonder from boomers, gg, in the twilight years of that. Policy that transformed into, anecdotally, "if you want to stand in line for 45 minutes to get your claim scrutinized by skeptical checkout clerks." Contrast to anecdotes about how you'd go into the store with a broken wrench and leave with a new wrench and sometimes a box of sockets or something at no charge. Sears Auto also experienced a failing reputation, mentioned in the above reasons link.

Similarly, another business I hear commented on a lot is Ernst and its visible decline "at around the time it began diversifying into cheap furniture and other junk."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Hom … s_lawsuits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Hom … rs#Decline

There's also entire youtube channels devoted to this sort of thing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

October 9, 2021, 3:22 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
September 23, 2021, 1:17 pm
Departed
BEEF ISLAND, VIRGIN ISLANDS BRITISH
I've had less wacky shipments from Europe. That said, I have ordered items that shipped out of my state into centers at two other states, and then back into my state. Pretty funny to track.

Overseas shipping right now is a little wack. Staffing issues.

e: An item I ordered from Russia once showed up like a year or so later covered in various stamps. Who knows where all it's been. I probably have the envelope somewhere still.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Someone on Reddit posted their package doing a weird grand tour of the U.S. in the complete opposite direction of where the package needed to go. Like it originally needed to go across the state and instead ended up zig zagging across the other side of the country for weeks.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Someone on Reddit posted their package doing a weird grand tour of the U.S. in the complete opposite direction of where the package needed to go. Like it originally needed to go across the state and instead ended up zig zagging across the other side of the country for weeks.
I like it when it finally shows up in your state and then departs again.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I think in one workplace I watched as a package circled the world twice.

This one is firearm spares, springs and pins, and the company was dumb enough to put 'guns' on the package, that always helps.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

When your gun parts are more well-traveled than you.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Sometimes everyone needs a little love.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-10-11 18:16:34)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
My ancestry DNA test came back and I'm 27% Scottish. How do I move on with my life now that I have this knowledge?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wow thats a hard one.
uziq
+492|3422

Adams_BJ wrote:

My ancestry DNA test came back and I'm 27% Scottish. How do I move on with my life now that I have this knowledge?
do you really think thoroughbred english gentlemen peopled australia? like america’s rednecks and hillbillies, you guys were the off-cuts of the british isles.

could be worse. you could be dilbert. he’s majority welsh and thus ginger.

Last edited by uziq (2021-10-12 17:46:28)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

Adams_BJ wrote:

I think you have to explode a condom of combustibles on your face.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

DesertFox- wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I think you have to explode a condom of combustibles on your face.
Damn shame that happened before the age of TikTok
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

I'm barely 1/4 welsh and the welsh aren't even ginger.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

tl;dr wrote:

DNA of the nation revealed...and we're not as 'British' as we think
- Study looked at the nation’s ethnicity dating back 500 years from 26 global regions[i]
- Reveals the genetic make-up of the average UK resident, and variations in English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish genetic make-ups
- Average UK resident is 36.94% British, 21.59% Irish and 19.91% Western European (French/German)
https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/inte … s-we-think

Who knows, maybe uzique is mostly Irish. A ticking time bomb.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The question that should be on everyone's minds is whether or not adams will opt for a clan tartan or just a regular matte kilt.
Adams_BJ

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The question that should be on everyone's minds is whether or not adams will opt for a clan tartan or just a regular matte kilt.
I am willing to be swayed either way
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you wear a kilt like the proper scotsman you are you will be swaying both ways.
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

tl;dr wrote:

- Study looked at the nation’s ethnicity dating back 500 years from 26 global regions[i]
- Reveals the genetic make-up of the average UK resident, and variations in English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish genetic make-ups
- Average UK resident is 36.94% British, 21.59% Irish and 19.91% Western European (French/German)

i mean what even is ‘british DNA’? utterly daft analysis. nobody even in britain considers themselves a ‘brit’ by genetics. even in fairly recent history there’s a clear breakdown into normans, anglo-saxons, danes, etc. this is medieval history not the long evolutionary eons. wrf is ‘british’ blood?

in recent history lots of irish migrated to scotland and northern industrial cities like liverpool. would be fairly well known about if anyone in the extended family had this link.
Adams_BJ

uziq wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

do you really think thoroughbred english gentlemen peopled australia? like america’s rednecks and hillbillies, you guys were the off-cuts of the british isles.

I am 10% Welsh. Would explain my affinity for sheep. I just assumed it was a bleed over from NZ. 63% England & ne Europe whatever that means. The rest is Scottish. Whitest boi on the block.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

tl;dr wrote:

i mean what even is ‘british DNA’? utterly daft analysis. nobody even in britain considers themselves a ‘brit’ by genetics. even in fairly recent history there’s a clear breakdown into normans, anglo-saxons, danes, etc. this is medieval history not the long evolutionary eons. wrf is ‘british’ blood?

in recent history lots of irish migrated to scotland and northern industrial cities like liverpool. would be fairly well known about if anyone in the extended family had this link.
Link defines it as "Anglo-Saxon," so possibly some recent hodge-podge anywhere from the origin of that on, mentioned in one of the tables. I agree that it's a little generalized.

The people who voted to Brexit probably have strong opinions about their "British blood."

Maybe you're part redcap or hobgoblin.
uziq
+492|3422
a vast number of british people aren’t anglo-saxons though. like a great number of northerners and most of the southern elite.

‘british DNA’ is a silly concept. britain is an historical and political alliance, not a genetic branch.

and, yes, nationalism based on ‘race’ is a 19th century invention and makes no scientific sense. just as there isn’t a ‘korean blood’, though the concept drives much of their nationalist fervour and sense of identity today. it’s fake news and pseudo-science. ‘blood’ in that sense is strictly in the german nazi sense of ‘blood’ (and soil).

Last edited by uziq (2021-10-13 03:58:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, identity is in large part affiliation based on geography and perception.

We'll make a scotsman of you yet.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Windows update fucked my GPU. I have to send out a bunch of work emails to take a sick day today. The PC has my work/graduate files on there. I either need to hope it decides to start working or yank my SSD to get to my files.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I can't do this today. I don't deserve to have my PC bricked over a Windows update.
uziq
+492|3422
try just running one monitor off your onboard graphics with the GPU disconnected.

does that fancy over-spec motherboard of yours have POST beeps or an onboard LED? the beep noises or lights on the motherboard should act as a basic diagnostic tool when the computer is booting through the ROM. it should tell you what, if anything, is wrong.

Last edited by uziq (2021-10-15 04:30:49)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard