Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
+1,937|5893|USA

Not specifically related, but a few years back wargaming disabled all chat in-game in part to take a bite out of World of Tanks' toxic environment. By my observation and others I've talked with, team chat became noticeably more toxic. Everyone missed being able to exchange niceties with the enemy team. "Nice shot, good kill, gg."

Later, team damage was disabled.

Outdated Mechanic

Team kill is a game mechanic that was a part of World of Tanks for a long time. Its main purpose was to immerse players into the game atmosphere. However, with time, negative sides of this mechanic became apparent, like the domino effect, when allies start exchange fire with each other. It resulted in bans and fines, but the game is not about that.

To make gameplay more comfortable we decided to rework the damage system by removing team damage by shooting or ramming.

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general … am-damage/
Trolls compensated for this by abusing physics. Pushing teammates onto their sides, getting them irretrievably lodged into alcoves, troll platoons that would corner you for up to 15 minutes. Victims have no recourse. Can't shoot back. If you leave the battle early, you're penalized. No word back on whether or not reports do anything apart from placebo satisfaction. I'd prefer just being taken out by a troll platoon and be sent back to the garage.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
Voice chat is super helpful in tactical shooters. A team communicating with each other can give a big advantage. People screaming into the chat is a downer. I am okay with servers auto kicking people for being obscene in the text or voice chat.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+1,937|5893|USA

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Voice chat is super helpful in tactical shooters. A team communicating with each other can give a big advantage. People screaming into the chat is a downer. I am okay with servers auto kicking people for being obscene in the text or voice chat.
Voice chat via stuff like Teamspeak or Discord was literally the most toxic thing in World of Tanks. The game spams events to keep people engaged, and everyone's on edge, burnt out, and screaming at each other over every little thing. Trolls are a step up from that.

I dropped out of an off-and-on top-ten clan from inactivity after a particularly hoarse screamfest between the leader and various other officers. Was contacted a couple months later for some of the winter stuff because they were low on players. I might have actually flipped a coin on that one. On one hand, prizes. On the other, intrusive thoughts about the one time a guy missed a 1-in-20 RNG shot and turned the whole clan into a bunch of angrily shrieking chimpanzees. Yeah, pass.

I think what sealed the deal sometime later is when they totally revamped tank configurations and I'm faced with learning the new system or just discontinuing for good.

I play stuff like Satisfactory and House Flipper now. I think in some ways the whole e-sports stuff, personal rankings (stats r lyfe), and speed-run dramas have made gaming a little worse. I don't know if it's a net negative, but man.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
Are internet clans still a thing? I can't imagine getting online and acknowledging a teen as a "clan officer". Motorcycle clubs...paying dues and hazing, fuck that. I don't want to be put into any situation where a pig person has power over me. Especially for a hobby. I do events with my union but that has legitimate benefits and there are women there.

The biggest obstacles to me starting a new game is learning how everything works. I don't want to learn new controls, meta, etc. If a game totally redid their interface etc. I would quit. I haven't played Stellaris after they changed the ways populations worked. I don't want to have to learn new systems. I saw Paradox announced Victoria 3. I haven't looked at a single developer diary. Zero interest in learning a whole new system that will just get changed on me sometime again.

Maybe the Paradox executives wouldn't need to keep changing fundamental game systems if they didn't scare all the women off.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021 … rimination
unnamednewbie13
+1,937|5893|USA

Never been super heavily into that scene. The most recent involvement I've had with that sort of thing (in WoT a couple years back), most of the members also viewed it as a bit of a throwback. Side note, I've never been in a clan on the Steam platform.

I don't care about acknowledging some teen as a strategy guy or a caller if they know their stuff, but my interest in competition wanes if they have a meltdown. The meltdown bit applies to everyone, though. And for the most part, younger player there seemed more chill than toxic old farts and 30-somethings.

To wot's credit, some of the clans did have female players and there was far less of the kind of 90s/aughts chat harassment than I'd have expected.

In recent years I had some steam friends really trying to get me into ark, rust, and early into its life, fortnite. Bullets dodged.

e: if the paradox offices are as tiring as the paradox forums, it doesn't surprise me to hear that there's bullying.

e2:

The biggest obstacles to me starting a new game is learning how everything works. I don't want to learn new controls, meta, etc. If a game totally redid their interface etc. I would quit.
Pretty much what put a full stop on my WoT gameplay, and made me take several breaks from Path of Exile.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-10-05 15:22:21)

uziq
+426|2573
it's weird that we used IRC, in-game chat, VoIP software like teamspeak/ventrilo/etc in the early 2000s but without anything like the toxicity. sure, there were inter-clan 'dramas' and rivalries, but that was part of the fun and community engagement. players 'betraying' their clan and going to a competitor, as if it was major league football or something. great fun.

i don't even recall bf2-era gaming being all that toxic. certain games like counter strike had very elitist communities, and a high learning curve, but there was never anyone screaming over the microphone or caps-spamming the chat that you should fuck off and die, etc. what was the worst bf2 had, troll clans like TOP?

weirdly, in those days total anonymity was the norm, too. no XBL gamer tags or persistent accounts. you could change your in-game handle and reconnect to a server the next day and nobody would know you were the same person. much lower accountability and yet a generally higher level of courtesy and comms.

Last edited by uziq (2021-10-05 18:19:10)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
YouTube has removed two of R. Kelly's channels following his sex trafficking conviction last month.

The singer used his status to sexually abuse women and children over 20 years, a jury found.

YouTube's taken down RKellyTV and RKellyVevo, saying the decision is "in accordance with our creator responsibility guidelines".

The singer won't be able to create any new channels, but his music will still be available on YouTube Music.
Oh no. Where else will I listen to the Ignition remix?

But seriously I don't like this. Kelly is a monster but we can't memory hole him. Social Media groups have a right to decide who they allow on their platform but there needs to be an transparent process.

Social media and our government too plays this game of selective freedom of expression.
unnamednewbie13
+1,937|5893|USA

re: zeek - If I had to guess I'd say that award incentive event spam and very detailed persistent records on static profiles is a large contributor to gaming stress. Your grinding towards a goal and it's going to take you a couple of weeks to reach the top on just one branch, or complete a task that's highly RNG, so you're on edge.

A larger stretch is that growing up playing angry over voice unchecked created a subset of teen and younger adult gamers who play angry over voice that's just not as present in gamers who grew up playing stuff split-screen or whatever.

Highly anecdotal of my recent experiences anyway, other people might disagree. In past years I thought it was weird seeing people just switch over to flying or driving sims or casual, single-player games, and now I can see why they do.

I miss the anonymity in older games. IIRC BF1942 didn't even have an account, you just set your name and went. Changing it around, very whimsical and I did it regularly until I found one I really liked. Side note, really miss the artillery mechanic that made use of a scout's binocs and let you long-range from like the corner of the map. Way better imo than BF2's arty strikes.

Also related to old vs. new:

I miss having "hacker battles" against other hackers in Jedi Knight. Real matrix/dragonball stuff, exchanging a bunch of nonsense in mid air before exiling the enemy through the walls of reality (noclip screens were really messed up and it was kind of hard to find your way back onto the map). I wouldn't dream of doing that in today's gaming without a deep understanding of the game and policies. Even then, EULA/TOS changes whenever a company wants, and not even single player is guaranteed safe or private. Install something from even Nexus Mods, risk getting a permanent mark on your account. Games where single player data is tied to a multiplayer element, just avoid modding entirely.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
Right wingers defending Facebook now. The facebook lady that was on the news yesterday is a liberal. So therefor right wingers believe she is part of a conspiracy for liberals to take over or take down Facebook. Pretty amazing turnaround.
unnamednewbie13
+1,937|5893|USA

Don't right wingers already have their own social media? Why do they care so much about facebook still.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
Big news regarding Twitter changing CEOs. Will be interesting to see if he trees to get Twitter to change direction. Ellen Pao
uziq
+426|2573
it's interesting how the tech sector and silicon valley/venture fund culture tends to create companies oriented around CEO cults-of-personality, which quickly run out of control. the same pattern repeats always: single person with a controlling stake in a tech giant becomes a global gazillionaire, loses all ability to control a company of said size, and then only serves to destabilize the board and produce wild swings in stock valuation and forecasting.

'twitter jack' was a liability to the company for some years, just like good 'ole elon is to so many of his ventures now. "fanboys love him ... investors dread him... !'
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+510|2841
How was Jack bad? I only see complaints about him from partisan media.
uziq
+426|2573
pretty much the apotheosis of 'woke weird billionaire' type.

he was the CEO simultaneously of two huge ventures, twitter and some private payment platform he developed at the same time. that's enough work for 5 executives, and he wasn't particularly attentive to either of his businesses, by the sounds of it.

he's spent a large amount of the last half-decade 'finding himself' in thailand or cambodia or something. a while back he announced he was moving to africa to go off-grid for 6 months. that's generally not a good thing for the main CEO of a global tech corporation to announce. it makes shareholders nervous.

twitter jack was also responsible for flip-flopping wildly on their communications policy, particularly with twitter politics. banning trump from the platform might have seemed like a 'win' to liberals and right-thinking individuals at the time, but it left some unsavory implications for all the other political ideologues that twitter jack didn't mind hanging out on his platform. hence why there's now about 15 failed/failing 'far-right twitters' incubating all sorts of nastiness.

like zuckerberg, he has mostly not wanted to engage with the serious ramifications of his pet-project on democracy at large.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,757|5227|eXtreme to the maX
Yes, he's only worth U$12bn, what an incompetent idiot.
#Freed Britney !
uziq
+426|2573
i never called him incompetent … ?

i said he was seen as a threat to the board and future of twitter, which is literally why his own company’s senior execs have been urging him to move on for a long while … ?

when he announced his little africa trip – which, by the way, i thought you were strictly against selfish westerners shooting around on private jets to stare at their own navels? – the stock value of twitter dipped by like 10% or something. i believe that’s what they call ‘a liability’ in MBA schools.

also, lol at the idea that any tech billionaire’s estimated wealth is some concrete valuation of their ‘genius’ or ‘ability’. you sound like some 14-year-old incel who confuses elon musk for tony stark.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-29 18:27:31)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard