SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Going to see the Sopranos movie on Sunday. Very excited. Not sure if I should get high beforehand or not.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Keep us updated.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I will write a detailed review. Do you plan to see it?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Mm not unless your review makes it look better than the trailers do.

I'm still chewing my way through my rewatch. Currently on the last season. I completely forgot about that dream episode.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Dream episode was too long
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
One criticism I already have is that I can't link/recognize characters.

No matter how much the kid looks like his dad I still can't make the connection to this
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I know it is not good to put all your eggs in one basket but I really wish movies streaming exclusively on HBO Max or Disney Plus were instead just available on Amazon. I really rather pay for the movie upfront than have to subscribe to a service I will literally immediately cancel after I am done. Splitting content between half a dozen services makes pirating appealing again. I rather pay someone to download the movie for me on their computer than have to go through HBO Max.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Schrödinger's library, exists yet does not. I recently brought up my disdain for Gates' classic dismissal of physical copies of media. I can see where he's coming from in that even ten thousand $30 movies would amount to a hill of beans for a billionaire. But as I understand it, buying a digital movie on Amazon doesn't really put it in your possession, and their license to stream something could be revoked. I get that discs too have a limited life expectancy, but at least that seems fair.

My simple solution for the army of subscription services it to miss out on the shows they have to offer. I was tempted by the Star Wars show for a moment, but it's passed. Plenty of spoilers on stuff to read up on if you really have to. There are wikis up to their ears in garbage TV lore.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I was thinking of watching the next Potterverse movie to see if they do anything with Rowling's gay Dumbledore reveal. As the forum's foremost expert on gay issues, mac, what are your predictions?
lil_droo
+19|1487
Haven't seen too many new movies lately but

Free guy 8/10 this was actually surprisingly good. Honestly came into the theatre with low expectations

F9 8.5/10 all the fast n furious movies are legit and a big part of my childhood
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I have low expectations as well. I'd be surprised to see another Roger Rabbit or Coolworld out of any of these types of movies.

Was "free guy" some sort of regional thing or gen-xer talk? I usually just heard "extra life" or "1-up."

I barely remember any FF movie except the youtube clip of the tank chase, which was pretty rad I guess.

(e: 60% sure i've posted this before in a similar discussion)

see also james bond, indiana jones
Larssen
+99|1879
Dune 8/10

Without having read the books I can't help but feel that, while well made, the story echoes Seven Pillars of Wisdom/Lawrence of Arabia and possibly some white saviour tropes. Some of it is really a 1950s depiction and fetishisation of 'desert cultures', complete with the invocation of nonsensical tribal laws and immediate religious reverence to the newly arrived white guy who we all just know is the messiah/mahdi. They literally even say 'mahdi' at some point.
uziq
+492|3444
in dune's defense (the original rather than the movie; haven't seen it), it's pretty unique to consider 'humanity' and 'human cultures' from a non-western perspective. the heavy influence – orientalist though it is – of middle-eastern cultures is certainly something different from other sci-fi fare. reading authors like heinlein or asimov today is like processing through a gallery of bad 1950s white conservatism.

a lot of the ecology/gaia stuff does get pretty hippy in a sort of 'motorcycled through afghanistan in search of good hashish in the 1970s' kind of way. it's part of its charm imo. and i like that future worlds in dune don't all conform to a sort of sterile, western scientistic view. having desert cultures makes a lot of sense.
Larssen
+99|1879
The movie is worth a watch, most people who read the books seem to love it. Villeneuve is also a fantastic director & his sets are visually very impressive.

The depiction of the Fremen might in a way be intentional as the first part is from the pov of these atreides guys. They're the 'desert savages'. They don't get a lot of screentime in the film, but the little they do get, immediately fits the late/post-colonial conception of 'the other' to a T. I've seen and read similar stories so often now, it mentally makes me groan. After the first hour, you already know all the major themes in the next few films.

On that note.. here's an interesting comparison

https://www.tor.com/2021/06/02/lawrence … erts-dune/

Last edited by Larssen (2021-10-04 03:27:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

official soundtrack:

sketchbook soundtrack:

Like with Avatar, safer music choices strike again, I guess? OST probably fulfils the role of a movie soundtrack finely (I haven't seen it yet), but it would have been interesting if something like the sketchbook had been rescored to the film. I don't think the score used is bad, just maybe less daring sounding. I'm glad the sketchbook was released though. I wish more like that would be (again, Avatar).
uziq
+492|3444
couldn't spare a single shit for hans zimmer and his schlock. very unadventurous. there are far better modern composers working in movies. a movie like dune could have had a really adventurous OST. reminds me of what happened with blade runner and their dropping johann johannsson (he scored an amazing score for villeneuve's arrival previously, which is a good example).

dune should have a weird and alienating soundtrack. hans zimmer is so fucking meh.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

(e: dune is a sci-fi)

Does he do much outside of movie scoring? I've been considering always doing movies to be a bit of a creative bottleneck, especially in recent decades. People going "wow that's really creative and unique, but can we add more of a European flavor and get some horns in? Maybe make it forgettable so it doesn't overpower the stories and characters?" Pirates was safe, but I suppose was allowed to have some personality within those constraints.

First video has a really safe score that I guess fulfills the requirement that music takes the most background position it can without falling off the stage. I kind of miss music as its own character, though. One of the reasons I still rewatch spaghetti western sometimes is Ennio Morricone's more legendary scores.

Games like Dune 2000, Emperor, I think were allowed to be more lively than Dune '21:

Emperor: Battle for Dune Soundtrack, David Arkenstone / Frank Klepacki / Jarrid Mendelson, 2001
https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/sound … oundtrack/

Things were more interesting on the music side of things. Emperor: Battle for Dune featured the same three factions as Dune 2000 had a few years earlier: House Atreides, Harkonnen or Ordos (the latter a non-canon addition to the Dune universe which allowed the developers to add some variety to their games). And as on Dune 2000 – and of course the Command & Conquer titles – RTS game music superstar Frank Klepacki was drafted to write the soundtrack. However, this time Westwood requested a distinct style of music for each house. That effectively tripled the workload, so Klepacki brought in additional composers he had worked with in the past – David Arkenstone and Jarrid Mendelson. Arkenstone had collaborated with Klepacki on Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny and Lands of Lore III, while Mendelson had made crucial contributions to one of the Command & Conquer franchise’s most unusual entries – Tiberian Sun.
Something for everyone.

love mendelson's ordos, great RTS fare. here's another:

arkenstone's easter egg track for dune 1984 fans (see 1:44)

klepacki's straightforward orchestral synth
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
Zimmer did some of Crysis 2s soundtrack. That's all I know. Probably doesn't count cause they wanted a movie like score.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Never read Dune or saw any of the movies. Still awaiting everyone's review of Many Saints.

Regarding Hans...

A OST with orchestra music is meh in 2021. I am sure many major universities have graduate students in their music department who can make a OST with orchestra music that would be indistinguishable from any other OST with orchestra music.

An OST with vocals tracks, many vocals tracks, is more impressive. That is why it is almost always Disney movies winning best OST every year.

Did you know Disney rewrote the entire movie Frozen because of the Let It Go song? Elsa was originally going to be the villain. After the executives heard the song though they decided that it was too beautiful for a villain and they had to rewrite the script. Christians weirdos complain about Let It Go being a song about being gay never realizing the song was originally about being evil.

Although unintentional, the song's composition was pivotal in the film's characterization of Elsa.[37] Although Elsa was originally written as a villain, co-directors Chris Buck and Lee gradually rewrote Elsa into one of the film's protagonists after "Let It Go" was composed.[38][39] About that, Lee later explained, "the minute we heard the song the first time, I knew that I had to rewrite the whole movie."[22] Buck further clarified: "Jen had to go back and rewrite some pages in the first act to build up to that scene..... You have to set it up well enough in advance so that when the song comes, the audience is ready for it and there's an emotional payoff."

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-10-04 08:59:19)

uziq
+492|3444
hans zimmer already has hordes of young music graduates who work with him. it’s a factory.

there’s still interest in orchestral scores. check out mica levi’s astonishing work for the scarjo movie ‘under the skin’. she also did anime OST work too.

there's already been at least one dune-themed electronic album. amazingly well-produced and super evocative.

Last edited by uziq (2021-10-04 09:15:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I skipped the first one because of reviews, didn't occur to me to check out the ost.

Tleilax in that Roly Porter album is really uncomfortable to listen to and I love it in sci-fi game backgrounds.
uziq
+492|3444
the live performances are incredibly fucking LOUD. like physically loud. it was a great album, i remember when it was first released.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

That screen, definitely not for the epileptic, lol.

I also recall Geidi Primes, "regretfully" Dune-associated. From wiki:

Grimes did not expect that the album would be successful and so assumed that no one would ever hear it. She quotes this as being behind her reasoning for the album title and track names, though has since mentioned that the "decision has kind of haunted me".[3] She has also stated that she now feels that the album was "naïve".[3]
uziq
+492|3444
i danced with grimes once. i have no intention of ever listening to her music.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Wiki said the album got generally favorable reviews. The track that stuck out to me most was the one I posted. It's definitely not Roly Porter stuff, but still a little spooky in its own right.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard