unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

They forgot to mention exposure levels to toxic chemicals on the left, vs on the right. Also body-wearing labor. Guy on the left could probably be quite active in his sixties. Guy on the right might be in a cancer ward or just have several herniated discs.

Whenever I see a meme like this, it's like they start to go in the right direction by saying trades are an ok career path, but then they try and reinforce that by shitting on people paying off college debt like they made a Stupid Decision as a matter of fact.

Who do you want as your lawyer in court? A carpenter by trade? Better call a plumber to do your surgery.

100% of the population can't be in the trades. It's impractical.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I would bet the amount of lawyers who violently die on the job is much lower than linemen.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/FEMA_-_20472_-_Photograph_by_Marvin_Nauman_taken_on_11-10-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg/1280px-FEMA_-_20472_-_Photograph_by_Marvin_Nauman_taken_on_11-10-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg
Thinking over the whole student loan thing...can you imagine the blue collar salt that would be created if the government forgave the Federal student loan debt?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Plenty of people in blue collar trades went to trade school for it. I'd imagine many'd be thrilled if their student loans went away.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I would bet the amount of lawyers who violently die on the job is much lower than linemen.
That is a terrible shame.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
The share of people living in poverty in the United States fell to a record low last year as an enormous government relief effort helped offset the worst economic contraction since the Great Depression.

In the latest and most conclusive evidence that poverty fell because of government aid, the Census Bureau reported on Tuesday that 9.1 percent of Americans were poor last year, down from 11.8 percent in 2019. That figure — the lowest since records began in 1967, according to calculations from researchers at Columbia University — is based on a measure that accounts for the impact of government programs. The government’s official measure of poverty, which leaves out some major aid programs, rose to 11.4 percent.
That's a trip. We pulled more people out of poverty by giving them an extra $600 a week than we have ever been able to do.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

It should have been done much earlier when it became apparent that so many people were especially struggling financially due to the pandemic. Currently, rents and home prices are going up and up. What a disaster.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Getting deeper into the union cultism. Going to events, giving speeches, etc. Leadership program. Macbeth: Leader of Men.  Lol

Something I noticed: Today we had an event that was billed as a meeting to discuss evaluations. Anyhow the first half the event was the national union trying to pitch us a retirement plan. Finance guys in suits from the union came and explained why you should join the plans they have.

Anyhow I thought about this pitch and what it meant. The guys were wearing suits and seeking deductions from our paycheck. I can see how blue collar union workers can come to the conclusion something is rotten in unionism if guys in suits came into coal stained hovels and tried to pitch them to invest in the union retirement plan. I know it is mostly the blue collar people's fault for nursing inferiority complexes but if I noticed that it was a little tone deaf I can see other people taking it the wrong way.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sleazebags see big pile of money and large group of suckers - what happens next?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Yes, it also didn't help that the process was made super easy. You just had to electronically sign a paper and they will "handle the rest".

If you want to get people to want something you need to make it a little hard. That way people will think it is valuable. The catch 22 is that our union members are educated enough to do all of that paperwork in order to sign up for the retirement account program and understand the contours of it. Blue collar workers (beaver people) are probably significantly less likely to understand what an IRA is even if you had someone sit down and explain it to them.
https://www.travelers.com/iw-images/resources/Business/Large/business-industries/construction/onboard_construction_workers_large.jpg
Meanwhile you would probably be able to get a good amount of beaver men to sign up for it if you made them pass a credit check and occasionally declined them. Maybe even make a show of singling out people to not be accepted.

Sorry, the retirement plan is not for you.
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/thoughtful-young-black-african-man-construction-worker-talking-o-thoughtful-young-black-african-man-construction-worker-talking-130657340.jpg
This has some relevance to the vaccination drive. The vaccine shouldn't have been free. When is anything in America free? Of course people thought they were going to be infected with Epstein DNA. They should have had a vaccine for $5, $10, and $20. Make people fight for status symbols of having "the best vaccine". Make charities handle giving away $5 vaccines. Make a big show of "the drug companies ripped the government off. Sold $5 vaccines for $40 each."
uziq
+492|3412
very good essay/overview of the role of traders, merchants and commodities brokers in geopolitics. including the obvious line about neo-colonialism and political influence by other, supposedly post-imperial, means.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n18 … o-get-rich

Traders and merchants have always, willingly or reluctantly, been used as the advance guard for powerful states. The World for Sale starts in 2011 with the late Ian Taylor, chief executive of Vitol, on board a private jet, heading to Benghazi in Libya. Vitol, the world’s largest oil trading company, had been asked by the government of Qatar to deliver diesel, gasoline and fuel oil to the rebels fighting Gaddafi. In lieu of cash payment, Taylor had arranged to receive a shipment of crude at the Egyptian terminus of a pipeline from the Libyan oilfields. Naturally, he had secured permission from the British government for the deal, along with a sanctions waiver from the US. Vitol was lubricating the war in Libya at the behest of foreign powers, but Taylor claimed his actions were not political. This seems to be the mantra of the titans of commodity trading interviewed by Javier Blas and Jack Farchy: ‘We are just here for the money; we are not doing politics.’ I suppose it all depends on what you take ‘politics’ to mean.

The origin myth of today’s commodity trades goes back to the era of decolonisation. But they can of course be traced further back, to the East India Company and other early merchant capitalist enterprises involved in the extraction of resources from the colonies. A starting point might be 1592, when traders from the Venice Company set up the Levant Company in London; Levant Company merchants helped found the East India Company seven years later. There are similar familial connections in the modern era: many commodity trading firms emerged from Philipp Brothers, which started as a scrap and ore dealer and became a global metals merchant in the 1960s. Philipp Brothers begat Marc Rich + Co, and Marc Rich + Co begat Glencore, and Trafigura, and so on.

They aren’t always happy families. Marc Rich was put on the FBI’s most wanted list in 1983, when a young US attorney for New York’s Southern District, Rudy Giuliani, charged him with 51 crimes including tax evasion, racketeering, conspiracy and ‘trading with the enemy’. The last charge was the final chapter in a long story. After the nationalisation of the Suez Canal in 1956 and the war waged by Israel and its allies against Egypt, the Israeli government decided to build a pipeline from Eilat on the Gulf of Aqaba in the south to Ashkelon on the Mediterranean coast in order to bypass the canal. The pipeline, a secret 50-50 joint venture with Iran, was financed by Deutsche Bank in a deal facilitated by the bank’s chairman, Hermann Abs, who had been in charge of the expropriation of Jewish property in Nazi Germany. It was Rich, still then with Philipp Brothers, who ensured the supply of oil to the pipeline, dispatching tankers to lift oil in Abadan, sail around the Arabian peninsula, and unload secretly in Eilat. From the late 1950s until the 1970s, Israel imported 90 per cent of its oil from Iran.

Rich left Philipp Brothers in 1974 and set up his own more aggressively risk-taking firm in Switzerland, continuing to provide Iranian oil to Israel even after the 1979 revolution. Ayatollah Khomeini seems to have been pragmatic about this trade with the Little Satan, just as he would be about the dubious trade in arms with the Great Satan a few years later, which became public as the Iran-Contra affair. In the US, however, Rich’s clandestine deal with Iran to provide oil for Israel was encouraged before the revolution but censured after it, leading to Giuliani’s attack on him. Rich’s mistake had been not to secure a sanctions waiver; Taylor did not make the same mistake thirty years later. Rich was eventually, and controversially, pardoned by Bill Clinton, apparently at the behest of Ehud Barak, partly on the grounds that he had helped provide Mossad with intelligence on Iran.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-16 23:12:47)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
If a Chinese property developer takes out the global economy that will be something new.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If the Chinese economy collapses they'll invade Taiwan as a diversion, then use the sanctions as an excuse for the economy collapsing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

Dilbert_X wrote:

If the Chinese economy collapses they'll invade Taiwan as a diversion, then use the sanctions as an excuse for the economy collapsing.
Hmm, didn't Argentina try that before?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Is the worker shortage a bad thing? I am going to vote no.

We should also strongly be against using immigration to combat worker shortages.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Remember when people were like "nobody's gonna want to work because of that $300 a month" (which you may or may not get).

lmao

Less workers, pay more. Supply/demand, right?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
They need to bring back that extra unemployment. If it discourages work then great. Less workers is good for workers. I hope the shortage in my niche field continues too.

Beaver people being angry at extended unemployment are such cucks. Jealous cucks.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm seeing the same jobs readvertised repeatedly, I may start applying for some of them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
"Hey, snowflakes. She’s ready to have the talk you’ve been needing to have."
https://www.nj.com/resizer/DHZQ-R3YcvcFZvlvPTAxfngAHZE=/800x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/advancelocal/SUITBL345NCYBPPQBT7UZMA2PU.jpg
https://www.nj.com/business/2021/10/hey … utType=amp
Loralyn Mears, whose startup offers basic skills training to entry-level workers, sees a serious divide between candidates hungry for jobs and businesses desperate to find employees.

Employers, Mears said, are seeing too many candidates who lack requisite interpersonal and communication skills, social self-awareness, problem-solving talents and the ability to collaborate.

These tools are rarely taught in high schools, junior colleges and universities, but they are essential to land and keep a job, and navigate the Covid-era hybrid workplace, Mears said.

“They have anxiety about a lot of things and lack the fundamental skills to react with people in real life,” Mears said. “You are thrown into a workplace environment, you have a new boss, you don’t know what to do and you don’t know how to do your jobs.”

Mears calls today’s young adults the “Snowflake Generation” because they so easily devolve into a heap of emotions.

“The littlest, least amount of heat, they melt. They break down into the crocodile tears, the anger, the confrontation. They don’t want to hear it,” she said. “They don’t have the skills, and the skill aren’t just those interpersonal relationship skills. But the skills are also adaptability and resilience.”
It's a good that there is a lady out there telling it like it is to young people.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
That's all drivel, but that's not even what "crocodile tears" means. If they're really breaking down, the tears aren't fake. Ugh.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

She was making good points until mac's highlights.

Her entire business is built around teaching basic skills to people who don't have them so they can get entry-level jobs. She's not looking at the set of other young people who don't need her services.

Schools teach you that if you get jumped in a hallway while minding your own business, you get suspended. If you don't fight back, you get suspended. Huge focus on test scores. Not much focus on things like collaborative effort and critical thinking outside of science class. We don't want a bunch of people who can do critical thinking. Pushing desks together is communist.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-10-25 16:22:12)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

She was making good points until mac's highlights.

Her entire business is built around teaching basic skills to people who don't have them so they can get entry-level jobs. She's not looking at the set of other young people who don't need her services.

Schools teach you that if you get jumped in a hallway while minding your own business, you get suspended. If you don't fight back, you get suspended. Huge focus on test scores. Not much focus on things like collaborative effort and critical thinking outside of science class. We don't want a bunch of people who can do critical thinking. Pushing desks together is communist.
I think people who a signing up for a self-improvement class are like the opposite of soft and weak. I believe the technical term is self-advocacy?

Self-advocacy is a person’s ability to effectively communicate and assert his or her needs. It is an effective tool, and people who self-advocate are more likely to experience success at work, at school and throughout their lives. Teaching self-advocacy to special education students is especially important as they transition to post-secondary education and a competitive job market.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Good point, of the people who might actually be the kind of dysfunctional snowflake she's talking about, these are people coming to her start-up to learn skills they weren't taught at home or in schools. Very negative of her to come down on her clientele like that.

Also there are things outside of individuals' control right now like cost of living to wage ratio, where in living memory it had been nowhere near so absurd. I don't blame anyone for feeling put out. Even boomers are affected by this economy. I know some who don't have anything like a golden nest egg due to circumstances outside their control, and in more or less their own words have resigned themselves to minimal health care (no checkups) because they can't afford insurance or any more medical debt. If they die, they die.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Companies used to provide basic instruction and mentoring, these days managers expect everyone to be 100% job ready when they themselves likely did a long apprenticeship and patient training and mentorship.

Fucking boomers again.
uziq
+492|3412
agree, it's not the young people who are especially lacking. companies used to make deep investment in their workers and train them up into assets. now under-employment is the norm. at some point the management consultants figured out that zero hours contracts and short-term employment was better for the end-of-year balance sheet than employee training and retention.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Job requirement: must have 5 years of experience (in a 3 year old programming language).
Applicant: (the guy who wrote the language).

Or however that meme went.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard