SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
How does it make you personally feel knowing that your children and your loved one's children aren't going to get the best education possible because of structural reasons outside of anyone's control?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

I agree that teachers should be more of a connection point than a driver for resolving a student issue to that degree. There are of course like 30 other students and their parents to deal with. "ThAt'S wHy We PaY yOu ThE bIg BuCkS!" The answer, and I think a lot of people would scoff at it, is more staff. We probably don't need like 50 extra people in a building twiddling their thumbs with mostly nothing to do each day, but school is such a large part of people's lives as they grow up, it would pay to be a bit more than minimalistic about it.

Getting rid of excessive homework would probably reduce the workload for everyone involved.

A math PhD would probably be wasted in high school.

Also, didn't you want to graduate to an administrative position.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

I was happy enough to cultivate good will, flexibility, and a de facto good grade for the office/computer stuff out of sheer bulk extra credit. Teachers were happy to offload some of the mind-numbing reports and presentation stuff. If I had been born a bit later, it would have been considered a rather Slytherin arrangement in terms of aughts pop culture.

I'm aware that at this point that anecdote is a little "did I ever tell you the time when," but the point is the reports seemed unnecessarily time-consuming to me. The overall presentation, while a success, was like one of those things where a boss briefly glances at the work you spent like a week or so putting together and says "ok fine let's do that then." At once gratifying and "why did we have to go to this length, again?" I'd think teachers would have better things to do.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
There are so many semi-interesting stories to share that I just can't. Hate it.
In Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker is activating the National Guard to help with the shortage in bus drivers. In North Carolina, legislators are hoping to ease a cafeteria worker shortage by giving districts federal funding to cover signing bonuses for new hires. And some Missouri districts are wiping away some of the requirements to become a substitute teacher to attract more applicants.

Across the country, school districts are desperate to fill jobs. Some are struggling to retain counselors, teachers and principals, but a more urgent need seems to be for employees who have traditionally operated behind the scenes — cafeteria workers, bus drivers and substitute teachers — according to Chip Slaven, interim director for the National School Boards Association.

Many relatively low-paying industries, like restaurants, are facing worker shortages because of the pandemic. But school districts have for years struggled to recruit and retain workers, according to Mr. Slaven, because of the low pay, sparse benefits and erratic schedules
More worker shortages. Worse for schools due to license requirements. Can't hire an ex-cons to fill these positions like you can hire them for line cooks.

Pay is too low for subbing. It has traditionally been a feeder role into contracted teacher positions. You can't make a career out of it. As the teacher shortage becomes worse, it makes sense that the JV position will have a shortage.

The solution would be to hire "relief teachers". Basically teachers fully contracted whose job it is to be a pro-sub. Maybe give them an office to store class work activities they can take off the shelf. They would even have the training to implement full lessons.

But we don't live in the sort of country to do that. People would prefer we stay in Afghanistan instead so that Biden won't get credit for ending the war.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
Maspeth High School created fake classes, awarded bogus credits, and fixed grades to push students to graduate — “even if the diploma was not worth the paper on which it was printed,” an explosive investigative report charges.

Principal Khurshid Abdul-Mutakabbir demanded that teachers pass students no matter how little they learned, says the 32-page report by the Special Commissioner of Investigation for city schools, Anastasia Coleman.

“I don’t care if a kid shows up at 7:44 and you dismiss at 7:45 — it’s your job to give that kid credit,” the principal is quoted as telling a teacher.
https://nypost.com/2021/09/18/maspeth-h … rinted-on/

A lot of thoughts about this. Will update later.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-09-20 09:24:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard