uziq
+492|3422

lil_droo wrote:

uziq wrote:

you seem very confused. abortion, like recreational drug use, is a personal choice. let people do what they want with their own bodies, so long as it doesn't impinge upon anyone else. that's liberalism, not 'one-eyed and unhinged'.

speeding laws, and drink-driving laws, are there because speeding kills innocent people. it's not 'let people do what they want with their own bodies'. it poses a huge and present risk to er, everyone else sharing the highways.

people taking MDMA at clubs or experimenting with hallucinogens CAN do so safely and in a way that doesn't harm anyone else. speeding a car whilst blitzed out of your mind, not so much.
Technically ppl that are pro-life don't think abortion is a personal choice cause it involves a human life/baby. That's the whole point, not saying i 100% degree but u can't compare abortion to drug use. Plus a lot of "personal choices" can have impact on society. Heroin addicts robbing people to get their fix.
i'm talking early-term abortion only.

i've never said heroin should be legal or anything but a highly controlled substance. speaking of which, isn't america already flush with a perfectly legal opioid epidemic? how's all those drug laws working out for you?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Legal opioids sounds great on paper. Wash down a pill with beer. See you tomorrow. See you tomorrow?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
anyway i actually loved norm macdonald. watching that guy's youtube videos, talk show interviews, podcast episodes, etc, would brighten any day.

guy kind of affected the 'holy fool' trope, but was razor-sharp in his intelligence. incidentally the holy fool is very popular in russian culture and and norm was an expert in russian literature.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Same here. Like I said above, I absolutely love the way he subverts cheap comedy tricks. I still quote a norm mcdonald bit I saw 20 years ago.
uziq
+492|3422
crazy that for the last 10 years he's been making cancer and 9/11 jokes and it all almost came to a head on THE goddamned day.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-14 21:26:15)

uziq
+492|3422
uziq
+492|3422

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-20 20:43:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
So this guy is miserable and boring, helpful to know.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Maybe it's just you.

Anyway, nuts that he died like 3 days after 9-11, the national tragedy.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

He was funny but he also aligned himself with the right in the last decade+ of his life.

Of course you shouldn't judge the totality of his life by his late politics but at the same time nobody is required to mourn anyone else.

To his credit, I doubt he would care about me or many others opinion on his life.
uziq
+492|3422
he was hardly right wing. he just connected a few people who were metoo’d and continued telling 1990s jokes. he didn’t explicitly support trump, instead flirting with liberal pieties.

he actually said living in political times is terrible for comedy. all the jokes are one note and unfunny. he was basically an apolitical comedian who was out of fashion. a bit of a stretch to call that ‘right-wing’.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

yes because as we all know, musicals about cats are the apex of entertainment.

maybe you’re the one displaying a consistent lack of a sense of humour?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

he was hardly right wing. he just connected a few people who were metoo’d and continued telling 1990s jokes. he didn’t explicitly support trump, instead flirting with liberal pieties.

he actually said living in political times is terrible for comedy. all the jokes are one note and unfunny. he was basically an apolitical comedian who was out of fashion. a bit of a stretch to call that ‘right-wing’.
I will take your word on it but I remember him on Bill O'Reilly's show a few times. Speaking of #MeToo...Bill O...amazing collection of giving women bad times.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I felt like they were kind of taking shots at each other (and Fox) in that even if it was for the bit.

"Guy who voices Bart," did I hear that right? News to Nancy Cartwright. Come on Bill, are you really that old? Boomers are supposed to love Simpsons. Cancelled.
uziq
+492|3422
'he was on bill o'reilly, he must be right wing'.

i mean, i can kind of see where you're coming from, but isn't that sort of tribalism and reductionism part of the whole problem? he was a canadian comedian, not an american pundit.

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
R. Kelly is going to be found dead soon. He seems like the kind of guy to do it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

re: videos

"Bulletproof to fascism" is a bit of an, as some people put it, "oof." I don't think I predicted back then that Trump would point a mob of angry protestors towards a government building and go "sic!" to interrupt the democratic process either. Granted it didn't work out for the protesters, but "there was an attempt."

I remember a lot of fence-sitting, or self-identified-but-not-really-fence-sitting, defense of Trump pushing the "he's playing a character," "it's his TV persona," "he's not really like that" notion. Even if true, still very ghastly and undesirable of a leader.

Norm still doesn't come across here as someone specifically on Trump's side, though.
uziq
+492|3422
those interviews were also at the very start of the trump presidency. norm was a fixture on the new york entertainment circuit, from SNL and so on. trump was just another media clown in those days. i think some of norm's comments, from that perspective, are pretty astute. norm grasped that trump was essentially a narcissist and an entertainer, desiring the stage ... which, of course, to some degree so was benito mussolini ... but norm's province was entertainment.

he grew up in the boonies of canada and was raised on a farm. his naive simple child thing wasn't just, or only, comedy schtick. he genuinely didn't care much about politics or have any serious ideological convictions. he's very hard to pigeonhole in that regard. even his interest in christianity (or, say, russian literature in the high tragic and existentialist mode) marks him out as a pretty unusual comic. definitely not another working hack working routines about 'owning the libs' or 'fuck trump'.

when he spoke about topics like 'identity politics' or 'trump', i feel like he was approaching it in a very arrestingly genuine way. not point scoring.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-28 08:15:28)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

he grew up in the boonies of canada and was raised on a farm. his naive simple child thing wasn't just, or only, comedy schtick. he genuinely didn't care much about politics or have any serious ideological convictions.
What animal would that make him? Pigs, rats, beavers, and birds have all been claimed.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

capybara
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I will acknowledge Norm was smart for realizing early on that Trump "playing the halls", as he said, would be his downfall.

I was watching some people give speeches a moment ago for an event and I remembered what Norm said. It is really amazing how badly someone can ruin whatever message they are trying to put out there by their opening remarks or their tone. One guy in particular...I agreed with his message but his tone and opening remarks makes me hope I get to see on him on reddit getting hit by a bus. A major fail if you end up not only annoying your enemies by also alienating the people who agree with you. Spent too much time in right wing media to think offending people is the way to go. Can you imagine giving such a poorly thought out speech that people that actually agree with you end up hoping you die for it?

So Norm was not a pig man. He was capybara. The smartest capybara.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I will acknowledge Norm was smart for realizing early on that Trump "playing the halls", as he said, would be his downfall.

I was watching some people give speeches a moment ago for an event and I remembered what Norm said. It is really amazing how badly someone can ruin whatever message they are trying to put out there by their opening remarks or their tone. One guy in particular...I agreed with his message but his tone and opening remarks makes me hope I get to see on him on reddit getting hit by a bus. A major fail if you end up not only annoying your enemies by also alienating the people who agree with you. Spent too much time in right wing media to think offending people is the way to go. Can you imagine giving such a poorly thought out speech that people that actually agree with you end up hoping you die for it?

So Norm was not a pig man. He was capybara. The smartest capybara.

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
David Letterman, what a throwback. Crazy how the world just moved on from Jay Leno, David L. and the whole thing they did.
uziq
+492|3422
i think david letterman is still pretty influential.

norm's act on the final ever letterman show is legendary. it made me love him.

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

His roast of Bob Sagat where he told jokes out of a shitty joke book is my favorite.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard