Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Now I wish I had three legs.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

And there's exactly nothing 'fast-fashion' about these.
sure. but they exported their manufacturing to india. they don't do that out of the goodness of their hearts. they do it so they can get cheap labour, without unions or legal representation. for someone who seems so concerned about supply chains and unethical consumer behaviour, you sure do change your mind when you spot a bargain.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
"fast fashion" is a bit of a mean phrase. People who can only afford cheap clothes shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
it's a phrase that criticises the fashion industry responsible, not the poor consumers who don't have much money.

and dilbert has plenty of money to buy a decent pair of shoes that don't involve indian labour. all of my shoes in the last decade have been made in the UK/USA/europe. it's not exactly a hard thing to do. there are new balance factories in the west ffs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Someone should start a poll to find out if Dilbert has the biggest feet on the forum.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am a size 11 which is above average. I am 5'9 which is the average male height. I was cursed with Donald Trump hands though.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/021/605/trump_small_hands.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

And there's exactly nothing 'fast-fashion' about these.
sure. but they exported their manufacturing to india. they don't do that out of the goodness of their hearts. they do it so they can get cheap labour, without unions or legal representation. for someone who seems so concerned about supply chains and unethical consumer behaviour, you sure do change your mind when you spot a bargain.
Still better than China - aren't you using an Apple right now?
uziq
+492|3422
i'm not the one who tries to call people out continually over their unethical supply chains, and who furthermore makes it a matter of personal choice.

i've always maintained that meaningful change must be top-down and structural, whether we're talking about 'the war on drugs' or tech manufacturing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, manufacturing and illegal drug supply are exactly the same

When was the last time someone died because their stomach exploded smuggling iphones?
Is Michael Dell taking students into the jungle and beheading them?

Your selfishness has distorted your brain.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You are being a little cucked here Dilbert. Violence is awesome. If I could shave a few points off my monthly expensives by using violently acquired labor, I would.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wonder how many more miners would die extracting resources for the tech sector in shitty illegal mines if mining was illegal. I wonder how many people would get hurt and killed over alcohol-related organized crime if the prohibition was still in effect.

Comparing tech to illegal drugs is kind of silly, I think. Some drugs being highly illegal is probably causing more problems than it's solving. It would probably be safer for everyone involved if stuff like MDMA were legalized, regulated, reliably packaged/dosed, and distributed with more safeties and control. It would be an informed decision to take it. Just like drinking is an informed decision even though there are people who say "it's good for you, in small amounts!" (questionable) and therefore drink excessively.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Do I have to post the brain scans of people who use MDMA again?
MDMA isn't remotely safe.

Anyway, I shall enjoy my shoes, fuck you all.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Alcohol has well documented effects on brain physiology as well. Stages into poisoning, coma, and death. Memory disorders, cognitive decline, permanent brain damage tied to alcohol abuse. Never mind what it does to the rest of your body. But you shrug that all away and say you enjoy drinking.

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Light drinking has no measurable effect though.

This still has nothing to do with my shoes.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, manufacturing and illegal drug supply are exactly the same

When was the last time someone died because their stomach exploded smuggling iphones?
Is Michael Dell taking students into the jungle and beheading them?

Your selfishness has distorted your brain.
the war on drugs is a disaster. but the scale is not even comparable. tens of MILLIONS of people are living in misery and working in sweatshops, being exploited for their labour and continually undercut and flogged by western buyers.

if drug users are meant to feel bad about people suffering for their supply, why do you get to gloat over your ‘bargain’ made-in-india shoes?

furthermore, to consume fashion ethically is EASY. you reach into your pocket and pay a fair price. if i could buy drugs legally and ethically, i obviously would. durrrr.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

any amount of alcohol has a bad effect. any amount of alcohol increases the risk of cancer. you are consuming a toxic carcinogen. the risk might be very slight from ‘small amounts’, but it’s an increased risk nevertheless.

we have been over this dozens of times with umpteen citations and meta-studies. good job, egghead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elvaramire … in-health/

here’s oxford university. not a single david nutt in sight. i just told you in extensive detail only two days ago how the ‘good for you in moderation’ line was shilled but the alcohol lobbies and their oleaginous PR men, pushing selective data to physicians to recycle to their patients.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-09 19:49:05)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do I have to post the brain scans of people who use MDMA again?
MDMA isn't remotely safe.

Anyway, I shall enjoy my shoes, fuck you all.
both MDMA and alcohol lower serotonin levels and receptivity in the brain, in the long-term, with continued use. both stimulate serotonin activity in the brain when you consume them - that’s the buzz or high, durr. both have a noticeable ‘comedown’, as the brain (and body, in the case of alcohol) are physically depleted.

but ‘what goes up must come down’. what do you think an alcohol drinker’s brain looks like after years of continual use? you do realise that alcohol is directly neurotoxic, and destroys brain dendrites, right? and why do you think people who drink a lot end up feeling lost in a cycle of depression? alcohol is a depressant; it affects your brain’s neurochemistry!

MDMA won’t give you cancer, won’t pockmark your liver, and won’t lead you to violence or aggressive behaviour. gee, i wonder why ecstasy is being researched for medicine and alcohol isn’t? if only one of them are brain-rotting .. ?

you are hopeless at biology. stick to balancing beams.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-09 20:27:34)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LMAO you don't actually know what beam theory is.
uziq
+492|3422
and which one of us spends half his life stubbornly digging into arguments on topics about which he knows nothing? have i been lecturing you on beam theory for 4 years?

you seem to have a lot of very entitled opinions about alcohol/drugs with seemingly no understanding. just frightful-sounding nonsense like ‘MDMA ruins your brain!’ you say as you sip on a neurotoxic, serotonergic poison. LMAO.

Last edited by uziq (2021-09-09 19:56:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Seems like my shoe supplier is fairly ethical.

Josef Seibel plans shoe factory in Africa
31 July 2020

Josef Seibel Group plans to open a new shoe factory in Ukunda, Kenya, in autumn 2020. It is a humanitarian project by the German company’s chief executive, and president of the Federal industrial footwear and leather goods’ association HDS/L, Carl-August Seibel. He had already financed and built a primary school ...
https://www.shoeintelligence.com/csr-an … 67.article

The project represents a modern-day form of development aid aiming to facilitate education for people in Kenya as well as to help provide an economic foundation for living in the country. The action being taken is seeking to improve the social situation by means of long-term and sustainable investment. Josef Seibel Africa Ltd is being set up as a complete system that includes everything from material sourcing and production to distribution/marketing within Kenya and Africa.
https://www.imove-germany.de/en/news/Se … -Kenya.htm

Now do the same for your illegal drug supply chain.
uziq
+492|3422
companies washing their blood money profits by ‘building schools’ is not exactly new. one can’t help but feel that you want to be duped by this exercise to abet your conscience.

if apple were building ‘tech colleges in guinea’ you’d be rather more cynical about it.

just think: they could employ skilled german craftsmen, stop exploiting indians, and maybe even still give to charity abroad with their profits!

i’ve had no problem buying shoes made in the U.K. or europe for my entire adult life. i know australia has many native brands. but you wanted a bargain and you can’t live with the fact that your shoes were made by an untouchable in india.

haven’t you expressed disgust at the caste system and inequality in india before? come to think of it, isn’t it a bit sadistic, making indians work like dogs on leather shoes? aren’t cows sacred over there? no wonder that german CEO can’t sleep at night and is planning his charitable works.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not making Indians do anything, its just a pair of shoes.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm not making mexicans do anything, either (?).

amazing the mental gymnastics you're capable of when the shoe is on the other foot!

you're rich enough to afford ethically manufactured fashion. just admit you hate brown people.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Brown people hate brown people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Very traceable path in the discussion that led from criticism of sweatshop shoes, to criticism of the illegal drug industry, to criticism of the war on drugs, comparisons to prohibition, comparisons between informed consent in drugs and alcohol (a drug): suggestion that regulated drugs would probably be better for society than being mired in the illegal drug industry and the war on drugs, effects of alcohol on one of many parts of the body it affects from light to heavy drinking, physiological and psychological, in response to the DARE-fare "ecstasy puts holes in your brain so it should remain illegal" stuff. "WhOaH WhErE dId ThAt CoME FrOm!" Pfft.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard