SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Please enjoy
"Upset Karen inturrupts class to complain about her son watching a school approved video"
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … ain_about/

Frankly, I am surprised and disappointed there hasn't been more of these videos though I have heard stories.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Can people who hold PhDs can themselves doctors?
The editorial page editor of The Wall Street Journal accused strategists for President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. of instigating a coordinated response to an op-ed article published Friday evening that called on Jill Biden, Mr. Biden’s wife, to refrain from referring to herself as “Dr. Biden” because she is not a medical doctor, but rather holds a doctorate in education.

After earning two master’s degrees, Dr. Biden received her doctorate in 2007 from the University of Delaware. She also taught English at a community college in Virginia, and has said she hopes to continue doing so while serving as first lady.

“The Ph.D. may once have held prestige, but that has been diminished by the erosion of seriousness and the relaxation of standards in university education generally,” Joseph Epstein wrote in the op-ed item.
Dr. Jill Biden is a teacher. I would call her Auntie Jill if she pushed to have some bullshit or another passed for the teachers. Trump's prostitute wife never did anything good for anyone.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I remember when a teacher at my grade school earned her PhD in education. One year she was Mrs. Teacher and the next year she was Dr. Teacher. 11 year old me was able to understand the difference from a medical doctor. I never thought I would be reading some old boomer complaining about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

A good number of PhDs, including researchers in the orbit of medical fields, feel embarrassed or too intimidated to use the title or hear it used in reference to themselves. Like their accomplishments don't really warrant it.
uziq
+492|3422
she can use the title as she wants, that article was the most ridiculous bit of snob fluff. who opens a newspaper article by publicly addressing someone as ‘kiddo’? that epstein guy is another mediocrity who thinks he’s tom wolfe or something because he wears a bow tie.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
There's nothing more offensive to a Republican than someone who can think.
Its far worse if its a woman.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

pot-kettle, dilbert

uziq wrote:

she can use the title as she wants, that article was the most ridiculous bit of snob fluff. who opens a newspaper article by publicly addressing someone as ‘kiddo’? that epstein guy is another mediocrity who thinks he’s tom wolfe or something because he wears a bow tie.
It really was cancer, wasn't it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I have a friend who got his PhD, he checks into motels under 'Dr.'

To be fair I'd probably do the same.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
"Florida Anit-Maskers & Vaxxers Freak Out During Florida School Board Meeting"
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … ut_during/

Some of these people seem lovely. You keep doing you Florida.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

"Awakened a sleeping beast" could be considered a self-own in this context. Rofl, Nuremberg. How much GTA have you played again, have you ever listened to that parody right wing radio show? Some of that stuff is tame compared to reality.

necro-reply @dilbert's phd friend, seems a bit awkward. letterheads, signing your emails, sure. signing into a motel, who are you trying to impress. imagine staff wasting their time trying to get a hold of you while someone is having a seizure.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well I told him its stupid for that reason.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've heard a number of people say they're kind of embarrassed to list or be referenced by those titles. Some who don't think they're particularly smart, and may even have low-key impostor syndrome. I suppose I wouldn't know what I'd do in their place, unless I was in their place.

But if it gives you confidence to do so, then eh whatever. Far less awkward than people losing their shit over """DR.""" Jill Biden. People who haven't gone through any of it, making the judgment calls. lol
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lots of actual doctors get tired of every acquaintance expecting them to solve their medical issues.

I think I'd get bored with "Yeah, sorry, I'm not a medical doctor so I'm not looking at your rash" quite quickly
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've got Strong Opinions about the tendency of people to angle for free inspections/consultations/services when they find out their friend/relative/neighbor Does a Thing for a Living. Especially being volun-told/volunsuggested as a go-to to go do that stuff.

Maybe the roofer next door doesn't want to spend his weekend crawling through your gross attic. Maybe your nephew doesn't want to be passed around the entire family fixing their computers for free. Maybe your daughter doesn't want to make free logos for the local, small doctor's office because it would be fReE eXpOsUrE (yes I suppose this is what I asked for, but can I get a fifth iteration full of new tweaks?).

Of course this extends to normal contract work, the clients who try to whittle someone down while the work is in progress or long after the bill is past due. Nobody wants to work for those guys, don't bring that shit into your family or friendships.

Doing stuff off the books, or verbal agreement stuff and all, some risk factor I assume for medical doctors as well.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I do a lot of things for a lot of people, its always lawyers who won't return a favour.

Next time a lawyer asks for a favour the answer is going to be:

Aha, so you're asking me to take a look at your car/gun/house and give you some advice?

OK, the fee to put you on my books is $950
First consultation is $1250 for an hour or less
If you'd like me to attend to actually look at anything that'll be a $5000 per diem fee.
Then I'll have to read into the issue, lets say $850/hr
Write up of any report will be at the same hourly rate, $850/hr.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Years back, I cut the family-computers-for-free thing off before it could take off into full swing. One of the computers was becoming a routine house call. Being a computer technician isn't even like being an artist. There is no stereotype need for "free exposure." That said, my rates were reasonable. I think I suggested like $30 to travel out to nearby locations for an inspection, $20 for cleaning if needed, and $50 if I could repair it on-site. Gas and time, ya know. I guess they valued their viruses more, lol.

At the company I'm currently at, estimates for clients are usually free because we usually get the work. That said, if we feel like someone is shopping us, we will float out the notion of consultation fees.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Stupid old neighbour kept fucking up her TV so I got volunteered to go round and fix it, repeatedly.

Did she leave me her house when she died?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Now and then people try the "could you design something for me, also send all the drawings and specs, then I'll see if I want you to do the work, like today?" gag.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Damn I would have left you the TV. Hugely lost opportunity for post-mortem humor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Speaking of wills and teachers, who is macbeth leaving his gundams and mtg boxes to, I wonder?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Men are abandoning higher education in such numbers that they now trail female college students by record levels.

At the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5% of college students, an all-time high, and men 40.5%, according to enrollment data from the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit research group. U.S. colleges and universities had 1.5 million fewer students compared with five years ago, and men accounted for 71% of the decline.
Via NYT

It might be a result of the pandemic but keep in mind in '08 college enrollment spiked as people went back to get better work credentials. Some worry this could be a long term trend of men dropping out. On the same NYT frontpage it mentioned that there is a shortage of skilled workers which means infrastructure projects could be slower and more expensive.

Where are all the men going if they aren't going into trades or college?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
@Newbie, how do you feel about mainstreaming special education kids? How do you feel about special education devouring school budgets?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm fine with it. If it costs more, then put more funding in. More teachers, more assistants, more incentives, training campaign. Modernize facilities, streamline expansion. If one school has less local funding than a school in a richer area, we should be able to compensate for that too. I'm sorry, but it all sounds like very common sense stuff and it's frustrating to see the country sit on its thumbs.

At the same time, work on other areas that will help decrease the number of special education kids in time (child hunger, child poverty, child abuse, substance abuse). Just dumping money in to schools alone probably isn't going to solo-fix the areas where the US is getting its butt kicked in education.

If a special ed kid is high functioning, adaptable enough, and can be effectively worked with, I don't see why mainstreaming them into regular classes would be a huge issue. some of the special ed kids probably wouldn't be much worse than some of the kids mainstream classes already have to deal with.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Depends how disruptive they are.

My sister has worked in education and heard multiple accounts of one child taking all the teachers time so the other 20-30 get nothing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard