Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Well according to you spraypainting and burning down neighbourhoods and fighting the police are normal and legtimate parts of protest - if you're not white.
If you're white and you do it then you're scum.
Its a strange worldview.

Erm most of the indians aren't flying back from funerals - doesn't matter anyway, during a pandemic there's no right to travel.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Nobody here is patting anyone on the back for arson. There is a traceable path leading to the stuff that did occur. The maliciousness of police forces and the indolent pettiness of governments can take some of this blame for letting (or urging) it get to this point.

Six year old girls don't need to be sprayed in the eyes with chemical weapons, bystanders didn't need to be curb stomped, and the football kneelers didn't need a mudslinging clampdown from the highest levels.

Instead, we had people only sit up and pay attention when their stupid, fake-memorial statues and not-actually-confederate-flags were in danger. Not hearing a peep from some about police murdering and otherwise quite unnecessarily brutalizing people, but get an earful of it about broken glass at an Autozone by a questionable vandal. Then not a peep again about the Jan 6 riot. Priorities …
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Old man cracked into the pavement, meh. z0mg, SPRAY-PAINTED BUILDINGZ!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Another conservative radio host died of the Rona. Name sounds so familiar. I assume conservative radio host are as ubiquitous as rappers with "Lil" in their name.

Anyhow the section on his wiki regarding his death is pretty damning. You know for a fact some smug wiki editor saw that headline on CNN and decided to put something into public record because "fuck him".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Valentine
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Drop in the bucket. How many times have we seen this headline now? "Covid-denier, anti-vaxxer, gets covid and dies." Young, old, healthy, unhealthy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I wouldn't feel too bad about these shows being shut down and the stations hit with class action suits from various aggrieved parties, including municipalities and drug companies.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
That violates the spirit of the concept of freedom of speech.
uziq
+492|3450
yes, unfortunately dissent and criticism is part of 'good science' as well as part of 'anti-science'. so that idiots like this can invoke galileo and the authority of the church, etc etc, and dilbert can pretend he's actually being a 'true scientist' when he speaks about the 'dangerous AZ vaccine'.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Speaking of vaccines...where is my booster shot?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

If Dominion VS gets to sue conservative news over damaging misinformation, maybe vaccine manufacturers should get to as well.

Protected speech isn't to an unlimited extent. I would like to see these networks and stations held accountable for willfully spreading BS. It should at least be easy to establish that some of them (who did get the vaccines themselves, and sometimes even work at places that require them) know they are in the wrong when they feed a load of crap to their audience about this stuff. People are dying.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Well, well, well:

Trump Tells Alabama Rally Crowd He Recommends the Covid Vaccine, But Then Pivots Back to Talk About ‘Freedom’ After Some Boo
https://www.mediaite.com/donald-trump/t … -some-boo/

lamao
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If Dominion VS gets to sue conservative news over damaging misinformation, maybe vaccine manufacturers should get to as well.

Protected speech isn't to an unlimited extent. I would like to see these networks and stations held accountable for willfully spreading BS. It should at least be easy to establish that some of them (who did get the vaccines themselves, and sometimes even work at places that require them) know they are in the wrong when they feed a load of crap to their audience about this stuff. People are dying.
You think vaccine makers suing the t.v. for damages is going to go over well?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Not alone in the current atmosphere, no, but they're hardly the only people impacted. I understand tort can be prickly, but why shouldn't they be able to complain about libel?

People have sued over twitter comments. Voting companies sue over election lies. Knowing lies out of the (ironically sometimes vaccinated) media about the vaccine are getting people killed.

I know drug companies are no angels, but it would not break my heart at all to see some of these shitty networks and stations at least have to pay out a settlement to them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Spotted on social media:

Teenage daughter of anti-vax parents dies of Covid after they deny her lifesaving intervention
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir … fc005fb681
An ICU nurse has blamed a 14-year-old girl’s death on her parents not allowing staff to intubate her in the ICU.

R.I.P.

Also in article:
“She had refused the vaccines because of the lies about them causing infertility and harming her baby. Liars killed her, her baby and robbed a two-year-old little boy of his mummy and sibling. Not to mention robbing a husband of his wife and child.”

Jessica said it was the first shift since March that more than three Covid patients had died in a single shift, with the oldest being just 45.

She also lambasted notable Covid misinformation spreader Dr Joseph Mercola, former US president Donald Trump and leader of a disturbing anti-vaccination movement in the US, Robert Kennedy Jr.
Speaking of RFK Jr, his group, ironically named, historied-anti-vax "Children's Health Defense," is suing Rutgers over the vaccine mandate. linky
Larssen
+99|1885
I'm increasingly less interested in the 'liars' argument. These people consciously choose to insulate themselves from science and reason, and have nobody else to blame. It's been over a year and they still hold on to these views to their literal death beds
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

If a conman is arrested and put on trial, should he be able to get out of trouble just by saying that his smooth brain victims were stupid? Does a housebreaker get off by saying that the door was unlocked?

More loosely, there's an overturned bucket of herbicide in your front yard, but you blame it on the plants in your garden.

In this case, there is blame that can be apportioned to all parties here. Yes, the facebook moms should get on the level and stop thinking that out of 1,000 scientists, the one voice of dissent out of 999 is the one they should listen to (the rogue voice "who is right when everyone else was wrong" is very romanticized). But that doesn't excuse the peddlers either.

Plenty of regrets from the death bed too. That one anti-vaxxer talk show host who was "sorry." Yeah …

The covid denialism stuff is a bit more than some honest to goodness grassroots movement that started at a backyard BBQ. There's opportunity and money in the misinformation, and the sources of it often turn out to be profit-driven sites. The word "astroturfing" was making its rounds in 2020.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Should television stations be punished for encouraging transgender and gay stuff to kids? Should television be punished for promoting alcohol? Punished for jokes that normalizer marijuana?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

First, I thought you were an ally to the transgender and gay stuff now. Second, "should profits from alcohol advertising be regulated" is actually a good question. Third, marijuana is hardly on the same level as alcohol.

Lastly, what any of that has to do with them intentionally spreading covid and vaccine misinformation, when many of them have gotten the vaccine themselves …
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Whenever a covid-denying or anti-vaxxer politician or pundit gets sick with covid, people are like "good, I hope he dies." But calling organizations to task for covid-denying and anti-vaxxer stuff, even disingenuous, "woah, wait a minute now."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
My point is that at some time in the U.S. (80's), anti-gay groups could have sued a station into bankruptcy under your world view.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

My world view? Explain to me how the covid stuff is like the gay stuff. We already have people comparing covid countermeasures with nazi germany.

Suing Fox News and others over coverage of course would not be easy. With so many people peddling misinformation, how do you specifically prove negligence on a defendant's part? Do they owe duties to their audience any more than movie makers or video game developers (this really does drive home the theme of "news as entertainment")? A lot of it comes down to "reasonable listeners should know better."

Far easier to punch down on the people directly or indirectly suffering due to all this than go after ringleaders, but larssen is tired of hearing about all that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Who is to blame though?

The snake oil salesman?

The govt which decided not to bother forcing the average person to stay in school by law long enough to learn critical thinking so they can weigh up for themselves whether snake oil is worth buying?

There is no right answer.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

A lot of people are to blame. Which I guess means only the people at the end of the chain are to blame.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Big difference between blame and legal liability. I have no love for right wing media but if we really believe in freedom of speech, dummy opinions have their protection too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Then freedom of speech, companies shouldn't get to sue other companies over things in the orbit of defamation, slander, libel. Blah, blah, corporations are people too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard