unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

One could argue that it's morally bankrupt to dismiss this stuff as just "things going on on the other side of the world" as if location makes it less relevant.
It is, but then again they don't care what happens on our side of the world, and if they could they'd turn our side of the world into a shithole dictatorship with them in charge if they had even half a chance.
Bluh? "Country X thinks what Country Y is doing is unethical, but Country X should base their ethics on what Country Y thinks of Country X. Country X also shouldn't dismiss horrible things going on in Country Y."

Dilbert_X wrote:

If we could we'd all be one race by now.

tHiNk AbOuT iT
race as a social construct, been over it before, so exhausting. blah blah
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I said it was morally bankrupt, but then they are morally bankrupt.

Leave them alone is the best option, maybe in a few thousand years they'll die out or grow their own democracy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You've illuminated your position on this more than a few times in the past. "We should do bigotry because tHe AsIaNs think bigoted thoughts about us anyway." So twisted. Like, I suppose you want to chop your taxi driver's arms off because that's a thing that happened to people in Rwanda?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think you've jumped the shark now.

What we shouldn't do is keep putting more bigoted people ahead of us or try to change them.

Whatever we do the Chinese aren't going to become proper members of the global community, Indians aren't going to stop being racist, Africans aren't going to become civilised.

Wrecking our own world in pursuit of a pipe dream leaves us nothing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The road is paved with sharks when it comes to getting into this repetitive stuff with you. What else am I supposed to jump? It's also not that extreme of an example. "Shit stuff going on in other parts of the world, let's be shit too." What the actual f.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Shit stuff is always going to happen, 36 years after live aid ethiopians haven't figured out they should stop fighting and try farming.
Nothing we do will help them.

How does letting racist indians into the country make it less racist?

Lets ignore them and keep them out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

lmao
Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wrecking our own world in pursuit of a pipe dream leaves us nothing.
How is development aid and diplomacy wrecking the world. Even from a practical leave-me-alone point of view it's a good idea to keep talking to other people and engage with them.

It's like you fancy yourself a medieval aristocrat holed up in his castle, believing the peasants will leave you alone if you ignore them enough.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Iraq and Afghanistan worked out great

For how well aid works see every african country.
Larssen
+99|1857
HDI has risen everywhere and starvation/poverty is less prevalent than it was some 30-40 years ago. I'd say aid does help communities get on their feet.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"Bombing them didn't work. Better shut down Doctors Without Borders."
Larssen
+99|1857
I don't know if dilbert realises his cruelty in saying development aid is a waste of time. It literally implies shutting down organisations like doctors without borders, save the children, oxfam etc.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
In retrospect all of that aid and capital we sent to China hurt us more than helped. The cheap consumer products wasn't worth a reinvigorated People's Liberation Army and COVID.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Larssen wrote:

I don't know if dilbert realises his cruelty in saying development aid is a waste of time. It literally implies shutting down organisations like doctors without borders, save the children, oxfam etc.
Dilbert speaks from a position of relative comfort, working a cozy job, living with parents. Apparently secure in about every basic way. Nothing can be a legitimate problem until it affects him somehow. If caught in some overstep, then he was just torlling.

I'm actually surprised when I hear him snark about what Republicans are doing on the other side of the planet. If he had immigrated here, he'd probably be one.

"I guess I need /s tags now." Yeah, ok. I suppose I overuse sarcasm myself from time to time, but if you use it all the time then it just becomes tedious to cut through, y'know.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

If we could we'd all be one race by now.

tHiNk AbOuT iT
race is an invented construct. and we are, to a significant degree, intermixed genetically now. what's the difference between a mongol, an evenki, a native american and a peruvian? the answer is not much, because of the migrations of human populations many many thousands of years ago (i.e. asiatic people moving down into south america). (hint: nations are recently invented constructs, too, political rather than sociological, and you'll find similar confusions if you try to parse the fundamental 'difference' between, say, belgium and the netherlands; or how you could understand the role of, say, magyars in the plural identity groups of hungary, and so on.)

Dilbert_X wrote:

Africans aren't going to become civilised.
we've had this conversation before. africans have had civilization in the past, with extensive cities, palace compounds, masterpieces of art, trade and war relations, etc. all the usual characteristics of a 'civilization'. you wanted to insist that 'they only built a barn' because it was the only picture you could find on wikipedia.

In​ February 1897, the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, a British expeditionary force sacked the ancient city of Benin. They exiled the oba, or ruler, Ovonramwen, and carted away more than four thousand pieces of sculpture, known collectively as the Benin bronzes. The attack was prompted by the killing of several men belonging to a British expedition who had tried to enter Benin the previous year. The aim of their mission, headed by a British deputy commissioner, was ostensibly to remind the oba of his obligations under a new treaty allowing the Royal Niger Company a monopoly on trade throughout his extensive kingdom, notably in palm oil. By then, a number of punitive expeditions had already been undertaken in the ‘protectorate’ that was shortly to become southern Nigeria. Ovonramwen knew there was little point in resisting: three years earlier, the town of Ebrohimi – roughly a hundred kilometres from the city – had been razed and looted by the British because its chief, Nana Olomu, objected to the price they had offered for his palm oil. Nana was forced into exile, just as King Jaja of Opobo had been in the 1880s. Jaja, a former slave, had developed a network of palm oil trading houses along the River Niger but in a fit of overconfidence he had attempted to bypass the Royal Niger Company and sell directly to merchants in Liverpool.

The oba, a deity in the eyes of his people, ruled an area the size of Scotland, and the splendour of his court was a challenge to the colonising power. The earliest description comes from a Dutchman, Dierick Ruiters, who visited the city at the beginning of the 17th century. He was impressed by ‘a great broad street, not paved, which seemeth to be seven or eight times broader than the Warmoes street in Amsterdam’. The oba’s palace was ‘of vast Extent ... so large, that you can feel no End; for when you have walked till you are tired (throughout) you see another Gate, opening into a larger Square’. Ruiters found the people ‘sincere’ and ‘inoffensive’ and had no fears for his safety; anyone who harmed a foreigner was ‘executed, their body cut into four parts and left to the wild beasts’. The oba himself only appeared twice a year, on which occasions he displayed ‘all his Grandeur, appearing attended with above six hundred Wives, though not all are legitimate’. Another Dutchman, Olfert Dapper, who never visited the city but published a description in 1668 based on secondhand sources, claimed that Benin had ‘thirty very straight broad streets, each about 120 feet wide’, with large, handsome, single-storey houses. The royal quarters were ‘easily as big as the town of Haarlem and enclosed by a remarkable wall ... [with] beautiful long galleries about as big as the Exchange at Amsterdam’. One of these galleries, resting on wooden pillars, was ‘decorated from top to bottom with cast copper’, depicting ‘deeds of war and battle scenes’.
are you determined to be wholly ignorant when it comes to race 'science' as well as modern history? it's like you're a naughty delinquent schoolboy who wants attention from his teachers. did boarding school mark you so badly that you're still crossing your arms and puffing your cheeks when someone points you towards a book?

Last edited by uziq (2021-08-09 22:07:23)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
"Young mom is harassed & assaulted by couple in grocery star parking lot over 'Abolish Ice' sticker on her car"
https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … couple_in/
Imagine ruining your life in defense of ICE.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's probably important to get these videos out there but at some point I guess third and fourth party sharing becomes more of a voyeurism than concern. Didn't watch the whole thing, was going pretty much where I expected. Took a quick glance through comments, and this caught my eye.

I saw someone road raging the other day because they saw someone driving a car alone with a mask on. Stopped at a light and a guy in a truck rolled down his window to start yelling at another guy sitting at the light to take his mask off. Then of course when the light turned, the guy in the truck had to peel out to emphasize his point. All because someone else was sitting alone in their car wearing a mask.
I do this, wear a mask when alone in the car. I leave it on because I'm in between errands and don't want to put it on the passenger seat, glove box, dash, or car pocket. It doesn't bother me because I have a pair of functioning lungs and tolerable breath.

Do I have to worry about getting road raged at by the anti-masker police now?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I read comments on National Review about how angry it makes someone when they see people driving with face mask on or see someone walking down the street with one on. I don't get it. Most times I will put on the mask before leaving and just not think about it. If I am hot or carrying groceries and away from people I will let me nose out.

I think the mask are pretty cool. I can get why people working in a hot kitchen would hate them but they have a lot of utility for the rest of us. Sun glasses, face mask, and a hat are a pretty good way to let people know you don't want to be bothered or hide the fact you are really high.

The face mask also gives you another way to display your individuality. I went to my state's flagship university and have a reusable university facemask. I wore it to the grocery store and the cashier who works there started talking to me about it since she attends the same school too. I have a reusable American flag mask for national holidays and events. If I am in the building on Valentines Day maybe I will get one with hearts. Etc.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1155/5346/products/rainbowmask_grande.jpg?v=1591329906

I think you have to be somewhat internally miserable or a NPC to get angry at a stranger wearing a mask. Also a certain lack of creativity to not find a way to make the whole thing fun/work.

"My child HATES wearing the face mask "
"Okay did you give her one with a Disney princess on it?"

"Only pussies wear face mask"
"Did you know they sell ones with military bullshit on it?"
https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/search/flat/face-mask/images/artworkimages/medium/3/vietnam-veteran-lloyd-deberry.jpg?&targetx=0&targety=71&imagewidth=704&imageheight=352&modelwidth=704&modelheight=495&backgroundcolor=52551D&orientation=0&producttype=facemaskflat-large&v=5
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

My dad has a USMC mask. Laughed at him to his face about it. I think my little bro was saluting him.

I wear a mask or chin diaper almost all the time. I like hiding my unshaven face behind it. I would start laughing if someone said something to me about it while i was in my car.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's hilarious to me that people don't think schools could enforce masks. Schools enforce dress code policy about clothing and hair cuts/length all the time. If a school can send a black kid home for having kinky hair, they can send a kid home for refusing a mask.

I've heard the argument that "it's hard to get special needs students to wear them." OK, and that applies to the rest of the school population how.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I have a friend who is a special needs teacher.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkK7JM-V4AAgbCb.jpg
Schools can make accommodations for special needs kids if they are having mask issues. This has been Federal law for decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individua … on_Program
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wearing a mask in your car isn't actually so stupid. Putting your mask on and taking it off with contaminated hands, the mask itself can be contaminated.

Putting it on and taking it off every five minutes without sanitising your hands is actually stupid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Major victory just getting people to take the grubby things out of their pockets to put on before face-to-face or walking into a store in the first place. Lecturing about sanitations and contaminations is just more than they can bear.

I'm willing to bet some of the challenged students who just CaN'T bE fOrCeD to mask up (so let's ban the school from requiring it at all) might do a better job of it than some of these supposedly functioning adult lackwits.

You were part of the problem, dil. But glad to see that after your exhaustive scientific research, you ruled in favor of getting vaccinated.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Pig people would seriously argue you are one or a combo of cowardly, mentally ill, or gay if you wash your hands often.

"I bet you use hand lotion too!"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Tissue boxes on feet so you can spend one last passover with your parents.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard