uziq
+492|3450
Lo! I show you the Last Man.

"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?" -- so asks the Last Man, and blinks.

The earth has become small, and on it hops the Last Man, who makes everything small. His species is ineradicable as the flea; the Last Man lives longest.

"We have discovered happiness" -- say the Last Men, and they blink.

They have left the regions where it is hard to live; for they need warmth. One still loves one's neighbor and rubs against him; for one needs warmth.

Turning ill and being distrustful, they consider sinful: they walk warily. He is a fool who still stumbles over stones or men!

A little poison now and then: that makes for pleasant dreams. And much poison at the end for a pleasant death.

One still works, for work is a pastime. But one is careful lest the pastime should hurt one.

One no longer becomes poor or rich; both are too burdensome. Who still wants to rule? Who still wants to obey? Both are too burdensome.

No shepherd, and one herd! Everyone wants the same; everyone is the same: he who feels differently goes voluntarily into the madhouse.

"Formerly all the world was insane," -- say the subtlest of them, and they blink.

They are clever and know all that has happened: so there is no end to their derision. People still quarrel, but are soon reconciled -- otherwise it upsets their stomachs.

They have their little pleasures for the day, and their little pleasures for the night, but they have a regard for health.

"We have discovered happiness," -- say the Last Men, and they blink.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
OK, you carry on trawling over the past over and over while I create the future.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Sorry dill I don't believe in your robot
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
There is a difference between pop history and academic history. The world doesn't need another pop history book by Bill O'Reilly about pig person Patton for example. Books written by academics on niche subjects that no one will ever read are harmless though.

At some point supply and demand affects those niche academic books too. It will still be awhile before we stop getting world war 2 books. Meanwhile the controversy around Guelphs and Ghibellines probably doesn't get written much about even though people were murderously devoted to their side. Life moves on.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Short of the fall of human civilization, I don't see a situation where WW2 fades from publication. Very destructive conflict that precipitated the Cold War, the thing that nearly resulted in global thermonuclear war on a number of occasions. The world wars are a stark underscore for that century. Even the footage will continue to go through remasters and restorations as technology advances.

I imagine that even if we had video and audio recordings of political discord in the HRE, it still wouldn't be quite as haunting as that one timeline video mapping nuclear weapons tests worldwide.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

Sorry dill I don't believe in your robot
My robot is real and shall be connected to Skynet just as soon as its finished.

https://i.imgur.com/A9MMLoJ.jpg

(Would have made much more sense to buy a new one but never mind)
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, you carry on trawling over the past over and over while I create the future.
creating the future one pipe manual at a time. literally beyond parody at this point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm actually doing it though.

The pipe manual was for fun.
uziq
+492|3450
i literally publish cutting-edge, new scientific research at the forefront of physics. i don't know how you can construe that as 'trawling over the past'.

i'm not an historian. i didn't do a classics degree. i never wrote anything on cicero. deeeerp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You publish other people's work, amazing.

Was any part of your lit degree forward looking?
uziq
+492|3450
are you seriously denigrating the value of editors in publishing academic research or books? you do realize everything you've ever read has been worked on by teams of people in collaboration, right? but go on. explain to me how editors are useless in scientific research. laughing out loud.

what is it with future prognostication with you? is your CAD work forward looking? are you really 'engineering the future' in your shitty two-bit company in australia? you are a deluded cuck.

human knowledge and intellectual endeavour has always involved wisdom and 'backwards looking' as much as it involves forward looking. you seem to think that artists create in a void and that scientists are sui generis geniuses.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShK6jg3y8g3KulqUOfqjvJjfOaTIgHH7r1envf4M-c1-vOD2y0hMC63D1pwqhFs3DSxdY&usqp=CAU

but i guess you know better than ... newton.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think Sir Isaac was referring to other scientists, not the lackeys who cranked the printing press.

Anyway, my pipe report was a masterpiece, I traced the origins right back to the definition of an inch being three ears of barley laid lengthwise or the width of a Scotsman's thumb - you would have loved it.
uziq
+492|3450
i never said he was crediting his editors then, but it's a codified and reproduced body of knowledge, isn't it? you do realize newton himself started and presided over several scientific journals and bodies? evidently scientists understand that, to have new insights and generate new knowledge, a fair amount of 'looking backwards' is required. derp .

you're not exactly working in quantum computing or semiconductor research, are you? creating the future by working with CAD and pipes? seems like you're rehashing old ideas to me, wholly derivative. you and your company are practically history!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People read each others papers as they're published, completely different to endlessly going over ancient history for no real purpose.
Doe we need to go back and re-read papers on transmutation of elements and write more books about it? Probably not.
Newtonian physics is close to redundant these days.

Actually I've done plenty of R+D in silicon-optical hybrids etc, developed an optoelectronic system for the latest destroyers.
If the company decided to put a imaginationless vegetable in as GM its not my fault. "Lets market products our competitors stopped making 30 years ago" genius.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If you're so capable, go make your own company to manufacture galvanized bolts for warships or whatever. Why are you letting MaNaGeRs walk all over you? The might engineer brought low. You'll still be clueless about history though, and you'll never learn why because you don't value it and block out any explanation.
uziq
+492|3450
everything is always someone else's fault in dilbert land. amazing, isn't it? can't change company, can't buy his own lot/house two doors down from mummy. but CAN fabricate some pipes!

People read each others papers as they're published, completely different to endlessly going over ancient history for no real purpose.
i'm guessing you haven't read a scientific paper recently. they literally have 'background' sections in which they cite the history of the subject and summarize work in the field – sometimes going back decades or centuries, depending on the discipline. physicists are still citing einstein regularly in their work, dipshit.

Last edited by uziq (2021-07-24 20:17:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Einstein is still relevant, but beyond his actual equations scientists don't spend time digging through old papers from hundreds or thousands of years ago to see if there's any nuance that no-one cares about thats been missed up to now - dipshit
And technologists just use the equations.

At this point I've created and achieved plenty and comfortable with coasting while I work on a few other things for fun.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-07-24 20:37:49)

uziq
+492|3450
historians don't do that either ... you honestly have no idea what historians actually do. another in an interminable series of pointless arguments.

dilbert knows bestttttt
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Ah yes, the (famous) paper caves from 60,000 years ago.

Historians sure like digging through that.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Escape from the Ordinary by Julie Bradley

Jumps around a bit and not 100% cohesive, but overall a good book. Definitely my life goals of [getting rich] selling everything and just cruising around the world on a sailboat. She chose a 30-something footer and I have my eye on a 80', $8 million dollar cat, but if it's my dream I may as well go big.
uziq
+492|3450
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I read his book series on the long 19th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_nineteenth_century
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3450
a truly great thinker. i admire him.
uziq
+492|3450
the presentation is pure shit but this is prescient. listen to it as a podcast. a wise man.

Last edited by uziq (2021-08-16 10:53:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Last Hope Island - Lynne Olson

Nice idea, I expect a bit better than "in his book Max Hasting said" TBH.
Its literally cobbled together from maybe 10 other books, some actual research would have been nice.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard