Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Massive windows update.

Now Dropbox is fucked up.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Depending on how messed up things are you might want to do a system restore.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Presumably its just done the printnightmare fix so probably I'll just set dropbox to manual sync, or uninstall and use a memory stick like I'm an early millenium peasant or something.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If you google it you'll see dropbox issues with windows updates from years before. They just won't stop, lol.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

or uninstall and use a memory stick like I'm an early millenium peasant or something.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Make sure you have a boot disk on standby.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
For uninstalling dropbox?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Not specifically, but you never know when it'll come in handy. You still have a 3.5" diskette drive, right?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure I put a boot CD somewhere, maybe a USB stick.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
After about a zillion windows updates things seem smoother but Office has lost its templates both at work and at home.

At least screensaver is working again, going to leave dropbox off for the time being - I don't want to push my luck.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I would say some of this stuff is timed to drive enthusiasm to switch to Windows 11, but 10 has been pockmarked by this kind of annoyance for a very long time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK screensaver doesn't work.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Windows 11:

kotaku wrote:

TPM, or Trusted Platform Module, is basically a secure cryptoprocessing chip on your PC or laptop motherboard. For the most part, TPM chips kick in when you computer starts up, ensuring that your PC boots with a trusted combo of hardware and software until Windows is fully loaded. That’s not all TPM is useful for, though. It’s been used before as an anti-cheat mechanism, Windows Domain logins, BitLocker disk encryption, or in some implementations of DRM.

Unless you’re running something from the Windows 98/2000 era, chances are your PC already supports some form of TPM. Most motherboards from the last half decade or so all support TPM, and everything from the decade before that supports TPM 1.2. (Importantly, while the Windows 11 specs say you’ll need TPM 2.0 for the OS to run, Microsoft’s own technical notes say future Windows 11 builds will support TPM 1.2, according to AMD’s technical marketing director.)

asus wrote:

How to check if your system supports TPM 2.0

TPM 2.0 is the minimum requirement recommended by Microsoft. TPM 2.0 was introduced back in 2015, and all ASUS motherboards feature version 2.0.

To check, press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box. Type in "TPM.MSC" to open the Windows TPM management tool.
In all motherboards since then, I think they mean. Anyway, useful instructions, finally. If it can't find it, check to see if it's disabled in the bios.

Why Windows 11 is forcing everyone to use TPM chips
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/2255 … t-security

Microsoft announced yesterday that Windows 11 will require TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chips on existing and new devices. It’s a significant hardware change that has been years in the making, but Microsoft’s messy way of communicating this has left many confused about whether their hardware is compatible.
Poor communication is pretty much expected from Microsoft. I can't imagine how many thousands if not millions of manhours they've wasted with unexpected, mandatory, and sometimes unnecessary updates that scramble your UI, fail, and brick your boot process.

It also didn’t help that Microsoft originally had a second webpage with contradictory information, one which it changed a couple hours after we published this story. According to the original version of the page, the true minimum requirements were TPM 1.2 and a 64-bit dual-core CPU that’s 1GHz or greater, but the new page now clarifies it requires TPM 2.0 and a processor that Microsoft has explicitly certified as compatible — which might mean everything before an 8th Gen Intel Core and AMD Ryzen 2000 won’t work.
Shen Ye
@shen
·
Jun 24
Thanks to Windows 11, people are scalping TPM2.0 modules as well now.

$24.90 ➡ $99.90 in just 12 hours
Wonder if it can be emulated.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

fwp:

So I actually browsed a bit of the Microsoft Store, while brainstorming ideas to refresh the look of my desktop.

First impression: why is their store program so bad? There's only six filters for themes, and I have to click expand to see more than three. There are no search options that I can see for lights, darks, colors, style, medium, or even resolution. The search bar resets you to "all departments" every time you create a new search, and I have to click through two pull-down menus to narrow results every time. Flaccid effort for such a large company.

Some of the top-rated themes seem fairly mediocre with mismatched slideshows. "Here's a photo, oh let's switch to a painting, and now an edited photo, and now a completely different style of painting." Are these official, or is "Microsoft Corporation" just a matter of fact?

Is this really what Minecraft migrated to?

e: default app mode dark is a hot mess
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I did a Windows refresh in order to try to clear some driver issues blah blah blah.

Interestingly, they changed the windows install process. There are a lot more questions about activating personalized services like weather, news, etc. I turned off all the telemetry except the weather app which I find helpful.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Windows tried to get me to buy a codec to play a video I recorded on my phone for $0.99. I downloaded VLC and it plays the video fine.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Between discontinued functionalities and being soundly outshone by VLC, Windows Media Player seems like a bit of a sad program. I can't even play bluray on it, with my bluray drive. Gotta launch PowerDVD or some such.

I don't think I've used WMP's library features, preferring Media Player Classic with its minimal clutter.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Windows Feedback Hub has asked me twice in two adjacent days how likely I am to "recommend this windows pc to others." Like, it's custom built from 2010-ish, so not very? Why is it asking me a second time? It's not like I popped out my drive and stuck it into a rig built in 2020.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I kind of wish that they wouldn’t have made the Feedback thing such an integral part of Windows outside of people who are in the Windows Insiders program.  I guess it’s part of their efforts to slowly “mobile-ize” the experience, by harassing you with review requests in much the same way that mobile apps do.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I thought I'd turned that stuff off years ago. Must have come back in an update.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
MS ended Win 8.1 support Jan 10 2023
MS ceased direct sales of Win 10 Jan 31 2023

Motherfuckers, pretty well no Win 8.1 PC can take Win 11
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
i'm hesitant to upgrade to windows 11 because I worry how much RAM it consumes.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Is there a single good reason to upgrade to Win 11?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bill Gates needs more money

I thought Win 10 was going to be forever upgradable, apparently fucking not.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard