unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Comments suggest that isn't his first rodeo. Claims that he assaulted people while filming it on his own phone? If so, why does he still get to walk around and interact with people? Nobody pressed charges?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
SJW policies that cuddle black criminals also protect white pig men. Just give the store clerk $15 for his trouble.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Larssen wrote:

Nutjob & conspiracy idiots all over are having a collective meltdown. They're likening vaccination to the david stars and are predicting an imminent repeat of the holocaust, also calls for a 'new french revolution'. It's encroyable.
I think one of our nutjobs apologized over that, claiming that visiting a holocaust museum or something enlightened her. She's still a nutjob though, and barely educated.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Surgeon General unloads about all the misinformation nonsense on covid, vaccines:
https://news.yahoo.com/us-surgeon-gener … 08695.html

clip from the end:

He encouraged people to double-check the credibility of sources before sharing information on social media, saying that “not sharing is caring” in the case of scientific misinformation. He also called out technology companies, asking them to “operate with greater transparency and accountability” when it comes to monitoring disinformation being shared on their platforms.

Vaccination rates in the U.S. have become increasingly divided along party lines. A recent ABC News/Washington Post poll found that 93 percent of Democrats said they were vaccinated or would be getting the vaccine, while only 49 percent of Republicans said the same.
We need some sort of new motto along the lines of "loose lips sink ships" for these facebook parasites posting this infectious nonsense. Has some of my family in its grips too. Already lost an uncle to the virus, but "we're just not sure about the vaccine, read so many horrible things!"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I know things got weird during the early pandemic but can we all agree now that in retrospect the "nurses dancing videos" were really bad?
uziq
+492|3449
health workers have had a shit time. stretched to breaking point and basically traumatised for over a year. every time we ‘relax’ things, they have to pick up the tab and work themselves spare.

at the start of the pandemic, work was often deadly for them. poor PPE, poor working conditions, rampant nosocomial infections.

but you find their videos cringey. ok. thank you for your service, work-from-home cheque collecting macbeth.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Predictable conservative furor over the surgeon general's pro-vax, anti-misinformation stuff. "The White House is censoring people!"

Referenced here:

Psaki excoriates criticism of Biden administration work on vaccine misinformation
https://www.yahoo.com/news/psaki-excori … 01635.html
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
https://i.imgur.com/ZcB3Dew.png
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3449
yep, agreed. there’s no need to press ahead with some foolish ‘freedom day’ just because of the newspaper headlines and temporary boost in the polls. mendacious and culpably dangerous.

with our current rates of vaccination we could have this thing licked by september. instead we are setting ourselves up for another lockdown and months of hurt. deaths are way down and successfully mitigated, but there’s so many other risks at play …
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Setting ourselves up for several more years of this at least.

Strange that Israel is overflowing with vaccines, and had first pick of Pfizer, yet the population has chosen to stop at 60%.

At this point I'd have a year of zero international travel and see where that takes us.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Where's Australia at? 'Bout a week ago you guys weren't doing so hot on the vaccines. Not long before that you were saying it was a poison. Now you're all up in it and talking about Israel again.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I hope the new (fake news) variants don't hurt many people. But if people have to be hurt by it then I hope I at least I can get another 6 months of work from home for my trouble.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-14-2015/P9PJvC.gif
uziq
+492|3449

Dilbert_X wrote:

Setting ourselves up for several more years of this at least.

Strange that Israel is overflowing with vaccines, and had first pick of Pfizer, yet the population has chosen to stop at 60%.

At this point I'd have a year of zero international travel and see where that takes us.
how is stopping international travel going to stop the escalation of the pandemic? there's still literally billions of people for it to burn through, mutate within, kill, and re-infect after the immunity/vaccination window. it'll go on forever. international flights are not the sole 'fuel' of this spread. a mutation could happen within a country with its external borders closed and it would still pose a humanitarian crisis for the global community to deal with. 'shut up shop and take care of our own' doesn't work when poor countries and the global south are losing control. i know this is one of your wet dream fantasies, to let the poor people and ethnics get killed off en masse in a grand act of 'survival of the fittest', but that just isn't going to play out here. the global system is dependent on the flow of goods and labour.

we need 70% vaccination levels globally before we can even think about returning to normalcy. a feat but not impossible. governments will have to make difficult decisions, often times ones which trample on liberty and remove 'muh feelings' from the equation.

weird you were so in support of australians' 'civilly disobeying' any requests to get vaccines, on the grounds of personal choice and democratic freedoms, and yet you hold it against israel for topping out at 60% compliance. are you literally this much of a mad fucking hatter, or what? what am i missing here?

Last edited by uziq (2021-07-16 20:28:47)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Restricting new strains to one country and not infecting and re-infecting the whole world is a no-brainer.
Should we have let Ebola run wild because people wanted cheap holidays in The Congo?

People should be free not to have a vaccine if they don't want to, but then they should face restrictions.

Its interesting the Israeli population has stopped at 60%.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

*cough* https://covidlive.com.au *cough*

It'll take you guys awhile to administer the second dose to most everyone, provided most everyone cooperates.

Your second  point is unfortunate. Stuff like:

Swine flu: less scary, easily spread (a billion infections in like 2009/10 est. deaths at under 600k tops, vs. covid-19's 190 mil cases and 4 mil deaths; "swine flu? SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING!")
SARS/MERS: scary, but not as easily spread
Ebola: scary, but difficult to spread

… will of course have a case-by-case approach on the international stage.

Falling back into whining about Israel, Africa. Same old dilbert-ruts, and the width of two horses' asses besides.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We know this virus pretty well now, crimping travel was a no-brainer from the beginning and still is.

Or just let this thing run for 2-10 years and keep playing catchup with vaccines until its really nasty.
uziq
+492|3449
we aren't playing catch-up with vaccines. 2 shots of the mainstream vaccines still give 70-80% protection against the latest variants.

yes, they are nastier, leaner, better adapted to spread and infect many people. but they have not confounded our vaccine tech. our vaccines target the spike protein mechanism, and the mutated spike protein is still covered in the vaccines.

we are developing booster shots with vaccines to tweak their efficacy according to the latest mutation. that is completely normal. not alarmist. every vaccine for a mutable disease needs to be tweaked and revised; many preventable diseases require booster shots to keep the immune system up-to-date. totally ordinary.

travel has been crimped, so far as i can see. travel corridors and visa-free tourist travel are not open. airports like heathrow are still at 6-9% of their usual footfall/traffic. essential travel is the order of the day and, as people here have told you time and time again, you can't just stop people from crossing borders, on a global scale, for 12 months. that's not how life works for the vast majority of people who aren't living with their parents in the suburbs of woollagooong.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
6-9% Is still plenty to continue the spread, I'm sure it could be cut to 1% and add proper quarantine and the impact on global trade would be nil.

Tourism would remain dead so no change there, still better to kill this sooner than let it cycle around the globe for years.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Part of epidemiology is population response to stuff like lockdowns, quarantines, travel bans, etc.

There is a time limit to that stuff before people stop complying and you have to use more forceful means. I don't imagine you would have responded favorably to your family members getting sealed into their own apartments.

Haven't WHO recommended against prolonging lockdown measures as a primary control method? CDC USA recommending for only for specific hotspots? We have very successful vaccine that people are being encouraged to get. A more reasonable response I think than than overusing a solution that will lead to civil strife.
Larssen
+99|1884
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-57866661

Reading articles like this a full year and a half after covid hit is actually just pissing me off at this point. Useless assholes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

When I did my rounds for a month, I was under the impression that I was like the miner's canary for some people in my family. Many still haven't gotten the jab yet. Some have comorbidities, and some have dependents. Among most of these, not one person I know of was buying into the antivaxxer stuff previously.

All the facebook and misrepresentation and sensationalized/tweaked reporting has left people terrified. It should be angering.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-57866661

Reading articles like this a full year and a half after covid hit is actually just pissing me off at this point. Useless assholes.
LMAO Bradford is basically an outpost of Pakistan.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

don't imagine you would have responded favorably to your family members getting sealed into their own apartments.
Not really necessary as come lockdown everyone was well-behaved and stayed at home.

Haven't WHO recommended against prolonging lockdown measures as a primary control method? CDC USA recommending for only for specific hotspots? We have very successful vaccine that people are being encouraged to get. A more reasonable response I think than than overusing a solution that will lead to civil strife.
Here the majority would be fine with simply stopping international arrivals and maintaining a covid-free country, people are fed up with arrivals bringing in Covid and triggering lockdowns.
Many of these are people hopping in and out of the country for no justifiable reason and people are tired of it.
uziq
+492|3449
'here' = australia, a tiny island nation with a small population at the arse-end of the world

surprise surprise, your proposal for a GLOBAL travel ban would play out quite differently in other parts of the world.

note that the people affected most even in the tiny limit case of austraila are the migrant labourers who live separated by great distances from their family and loved ones. how easy it is for you to dunk on indians or any other community: you shit on them when they drive your taxis and you shit on them when they have the temerity to try and visit their loved ones.

you and jay both have serious problems with looking beyond the end of your noses. 'it doesn't affect me/i don't like it, therefore' is your main mode of argumentation.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're selfish and anti-social, you want freedom to travel so you think you should be allowed to travel on a whim and fuck everyone else.

Same with your drug habit, you like putting powder up your nose and don't care about the consequences. There's every chance you contributed to that mexican getting killed and dismembered and a whole lot of other misery.

Sanjeev taking his daughter to India to meet the grandparents during a pandemic and then demanding to travel back is also selfish.
People are tired of it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-07-17 19:10:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard