unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You can't tell me that engineers won't cloak documents in technobabble at times.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am really nitpicky about making my papers 'readable'. I mean by avoiding repetition, avoiding using "in sum/in conclusion", never use "in this report". I also hate it when group partners use language that is too casual and conversational in the stuff they give me to edit so I guess that is something I avoid too since I notice it in others.

But in a report I am doing now on some boring topic I might just end each section with "in sum", "considering the evidence", "in total" "in conclusion" etc.

Can I do that? I mean this paper's requires it to be broken into sub headers 1. topic 2. overview 3. research 4. use in class 5. summary. I feel you can get away with ending subsections like that since this isn't like undergrad papers on history topics which aren't supposed to be broken down into sub headers but instead are meant to be read like short chapters or articles.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Good question for uziq, at least he didn't quit for real. This is his time to shine since he chased all the homework bots off the forum.

We were discouraged from putting things in dithering terms and to not overdress our work in technical writing as well.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Good question for uziq, at least he didn't quit for real. This is his time to shine since he chased all the homework bots off the forum.

We were discouraged from putting things in dithering terms and to not overdress our work in technical writing as well.
Uzique is the homework highlander. There can be only one.
uziq
+492|3422
there is nothing wrong with sign-posting phrases in academic or expository writing. it acts as a reader's aid and demonstrates clear, logical argument and structure. especially in scientific or technical writing, phrases such as 'in conclusion' or 'in sum', which might make one cringe and come across as cliché or exercise book-like, are actually incredibly useful. researchers who are scanning through 30 or 40 papers for a piece of work don't want highly original writing and brilliant turns of rhetoric. it's fatiguing. just keep it simple and sign-post away when your argument/paper actually does progress (or digress).

when sign-posting and other para-textual stuff becomes a problem is when it's thrown in, pell mell, in a circumlocutory manner, merely to 'sound' academic, and doesn't actually serve the argument at all. that goes for archaic writing like 'heretofore', 'herewith', etc, too. in the right usage, it makes sense; but all too often it's thrown in merely to add an air of elevated thought to a rapidly deflating argument.

i think there's a sweet spot between creative writing and technical writing, in the right place. homework or university assignments can have a little bit of flair because it's a bit of a dance with your teacher/advisor, trying to show off what you know: brilliant argument or fancy phraseology can show that you're totally at home with the subject. but for actual academic research, the model is more one of dry objectivity and transparency. by that point you're a professional writing for professionals, not a student trying to score marks.

Last edited by uziq (2021-04-18 20:11:32)

Larssen
+99|1857
I understand your point, but the articles/chapters I can still remember and reference immediately were not the ones written in a (too) formulaic manner. There's a sweet spot between creative storytelling and conveying information without compromising on structure and flow. I reckon that this is an especially important quality in works written in the humanities. Nobody wants to read dry and dull articles about topics in history or philosophy. It's incredibly difficult to pull off and I'm unsure if I ever have, but were I a teacher I think I would always motivate students to try it.
uziq
+492|3422
he's writing a paper not a book monograph. authors who write their own books obviously have much more latitude to develop a personal style. papers submitted for work or as part of journals do not require a highly individualistic style or virtuoso performance. they will be bundled with 20 or 50 or 100 other papers. (not saying it can't happen, but it tends to be for top-tier writers-academics.)

'papers' or journal articles are where new academic theses are presented or new data shared. they are one step on from conference papers. a published book is a whole other project and has a different set of expectations. an entire book written in a flat, impersonal tone would have obvious problems. i would copy-edit out too much repetitious material in the 'in this chapter, i will ...', 'in sum ...' vein in a book-length manuscript.

also, not to state the obvious, but when you read 'chapters' in a postgraduate seminar you are reading a pretty canonical selection from the forefront of a field, be it classic thinkers or contemporary authorities on a subject. we are talking about homework. this isn't 'dead poets society' and you are not going to inspire a 15 year old to start writing like karl kraus or herbert marcuse.

Last edited by uziq (2021-04-19 00:44:05)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
How do you feel about citation styles? I realized I have been using only APA for years. Haven't done a MLA paper in 5 years.

Do you have a preference? If you were a college professor and someone used the wrong citation style would you be angry? How angry? I haven't done graduate work in history but I remember tenured professors telling us "just use whatever system you want as long as you cite it."
uziq
+492|3422
consistency is key. i can do just about any citation style or style guide (how to cite things is only just the beginning of an accepted academic style).

in my work i’ll pivot between any number of style guides. a scholarly society in the united states might have different preferences to a U.K.-based university press, etc.

as we are essentially talking about homework and school exercises here, it comes down to what i said above: it’s a performance between pupil and teacher rather than professional ‘work’. you need to demonstrate you’re capable of adopting a citation style rather than there being an actual practical reason for doing so. just choose one and make it consistent.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Still waiting on your guys' cuck story collab.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Found a way to use 'embiggen' in my latest technical document, having squeezed 'cromulent' into the last one.

Skipping through other Simpsons made up words I'm struggling to find a candidate.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Anyone taking classes at the moment?

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-07-14 08:16:03)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
What is a doctorate program like? How are those funded? I have heard some people get grants for them?

I just finished a MA in SpEd. I am a third of the way through one for Secondary Education. Once I get the years I need to apply for it, I will get into the MA in Ed Leadership.

At that point I might as well apply for a Doctorate program. 3 MAs should make it easy to get into one? Is it all reading and writing papers/reports? I guess workshops and stuff too?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What is a doctorate program like? How are those funded? I have heard some people get grants for them?

I just finished a MA in SpEd. I am a third of the way through one for Secondary Education. Once I get the years I need to apply for it, I will get into the MA in Ed Leadership.

At that point I might as well apply for a Doctorate program. 3 MAs should make it easy to get into one? Is it all reading and writing papers/reports? I guess workshops and stuff too?
depends where. PhDs and masters by "research" in aus is publicly funded and you also get a living stipend. why the fuck do you have 3 MAs lmao. its just basically heavy research but uziq would know more than me.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

wow you are woefully underprepared and clueless.

a doctorate is self-directed research. you need a topic/project. you cant just amble into a programme and get a doctorate by turning up. you need an actual idea before you even begin.

do you have special needs?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Be careful, you're talking down to the future nobel prize winner for advancements in cuck theory.
Larssen
+99|1857
Do they hand out MA qualifications in the supermarket there
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

wow you are woefully underprepared and clueless.

a doctorate is self-directed research. you need a topic/project. you cant just amble into a programme and get a doctorate by turning up. you need an actual idea before you even begin.

do you have special needs?
Thank you for the insults. Next time you eye fuck a pair of white women running shoes I will chime in to let you know that how strange that is. A white guy with an English accent running around South Korea dressed in women's shoes. You sound like the start of a murder podcast.

Anyhow I assume a doctorate in Education is much different than doing a doctorate in the liberal or fine arts. This is the description of the program I want to someday do.
The primary aim of the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) with a concentration in Educational Leadership is to prepare current district and school administrators, educational leaders, and classroom teachers to take on district leadership roles in K through 12th-grade settings. Specifically, this concentration promotes the development of leadership skills via systematized practice, examination, and research. The prime focus of the program is on real-world problem solving and practical application. With these facets in place, the educational leadership program will stand to produce empowered leaders who are inclined to promote the success of all students and possess a dedication to serving their entire school community.
https://www.saintpeters.edu/academics/g … education/

Yeah, so I don't think I will have to come up with a theory about 19th century gay lit or whatever it is they make you do for an English PhD. It's a professional degree.

Do they hand out MA qualifications in the supermarket there
MATs are professional degrees. You need a MAT in order to teach anything in most states. You also need 20ish special education credits to be SpEd certified in NJ. You do an extra 15 and you get a MAT. I'm not doing these because I enjoy them. They are just the courses you need to take in order to advance through the system.

This isn't like liberal arts and social sciences where you have people struggling to get university teaching jobs and going nuts over their college rankings.

Anyhow I suspect neither of you are going to be helpful if I have to explain all of this.
Larssen
+99|1857
as a euro I know exactly 0 about US education, so yes, in this I am fully useless.
uziq
+492|3422
lmao at macbeth's absurd defensiveness.

it's quite simple, people who do doctorates generally have a pretty solid idea of the area they want to research. normally it's an expansion of their MA-level work.

'a white guy with an english accent' - scorching insult there! wowsers. i am feeling chastened.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Okay so you also have no idea what I am talking about but still decided to be rude
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It is a very weird comeback though mac. NB makes and markets shoes with gendered sizing and category once you get out of various children's sizing.

Here's a men's 990:
https://nb.scene7.com/is/image/NB/m990gl5_nb_02_i?$pdpflexf2$&fmt=webp&wid=472&hei=472

Here's a women's 990:
https://nb.scene7.com/is/image/NB/w990gl5_nb_02_i?$pdpflexf2$&fmt=webp&wid=472&hei=472

If a dude sized up the women's 990 to wear around, would you even be able to tell the difference? If you somehow had the supernatural means to, would that make you as fashion-headed as the very men some people on this forum think are so gay for it? Even if zeek was some metrosexual fashionisto, you've already claimed that you've grown as a person and are supportive of people who break gender normative.

Some of you here espouse fairly liberal values at times, but add a wifebeater and a couple decades and you'd be pretty indistinguishable from those boomers who are all like "how can they work those washing machines? So many buttons, I have no idea what I'm doing, just can't. Must be a woman to figure it out."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sure there are some differences between a US education-focused PhD and the sort of faggy waste-of-life euro-PhD uziq is talking about.

Just think, Dr Macbeth PhD will be smarter than uziq.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It is a very weird comeback though mac. NB makes and markets shoes with gendered sizing and category once you get out of various children's sizing.

Here's a men's 990:
https://nb.scene7.com/is/image/NB/m990gl5_nb_02_i?$pdpflexf2$&fmt=webp&wid=472&hei=472

Here's a women's 990:
https://nb.scene7.com/is/image/NB/w990gl5_nb_02_i?$pdpflexf2$&fmt=webp&wid=472&hei=472

If a dude sized up the women's 990 to wear around, would you even be able to tell the difference? If you somehow had the supernatural means to, would that make you as fashion-headed as the very men some people on this forum think are so gay for it? Even if zeek was some metrosexual fashionisto, you've already claimed that you've grown as a person and are supportive of people who break gender normative.

Some of you here espouse fairly liberal values at times, but add a wifebeater and a couple decades and you'd be pretty indistinguishable from those boomers who are all like "how can they work those washing machines? So many buttons, I have no idea what I'm doing, just can't. Must be a woman to figure it out."
Huh? The men's and women's shoe are the same shoe. Therefore, it is a woman's shoe.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-12-19 18:30:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Everyone is gay now, none of this matters.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard