uziq
+492|3422
yes, it's a marriage custom and family culture which have very bad effects. europe moved away from it not very long ago. hopefully the pakistani community can too.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Excluding loony german royals most inbreeding occurred out of necessity I'm sure.

Pakistanis are still marrying their cousins out of choice with no sign of moving away.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Not to mention that men in America, etc., can be incredibly pervy about how they interact with women. I wonder how many videos of women are on Mac's subreddit were taken on the sly by hidden cameras or sneaky smartphone angles, or unapologetically upfront. Not quite as far as rape but still deeply uncomfortable.
people stare in different cultures. eye-contact or close physical proximity is not considered as 'rude' or an 'affront'. it's a whole different cultural semiotic. yes, it can make a westerner uncomfortable to be stared at – i get stared at all the time here, and it's not like in the west where one averts one's gaze when eye-contact is made. the stare is held for as long as they want to look.

if you're going to go to an incredibly poor foreign country, you know you're taking risks with your health and safety. but getting stared at by crowds of people, who have likely never seen a rich western person before, is not exactly having a rough time. i don't know anything about the girl who posted that video, frankly i don't care to, but she seems sheltered and clueless. again, bangladesh is not the caribbean.
Yes, the girl in the video really shouldn't be surprised at that for reasons you've already gone over. Apart from tour guides or whatever, why would you not read about the country you're going to visit or maybe talk to someone who lives there for an idea of what to expect.

My point I guess is that not a single person, who takes exception to her being stared at on the beach, lives in a country free of perceived misbehaviors, *ahem* Mac, USA, where there's much worse than staring that needs to be talked about.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Excluding loony german royals most inbreeding occurred out of necessity I'm sure.

Pakistanis are still marrying their cousins out of choice with no sign of moving away.
there is obviously still a social economy and reason for inter-marriage between families in this way. it can be modified like in any other culture which discarded it. alter the external, material circumstances and the 'necessity' drops away. they're not marrying their cousins out of an excess of ardour, after all.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They're marrying their cousins to keep the money in the family.
uziq
+492|3422
thank you for repeating my point. which is exactly what bourgeois european families did for centuries.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bourgeois european families only really stopped when they were shot or guillotined.

Whats it going to take to stop the pakis?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I was talking with someone who used to work in West Virginia. She said she knew a teen girl who was pregnant by her uncle and settling down with him. The uncle was close in age though which raises a lot more questions.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Rudy Guliani married his second cousin
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
So did Roosevelt and Einstein. If you marry your cousin you better do something with your life to make up for it.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Bourgeois european families only really stopped when they were shot or guillotined.

Whats it going to take to stop the pakis?
you really need to read a history book. rich white families' inter-marrying didn't end with the jacobin revolution.

you are honestly the most clueless person i've ever met. why do you persist with this nonsense?

it's fucking funny. you've spent 1500 hours of your life posting nonsense on a forum for a dead game.

when you could R E A D a fucking B O O K.

dilbert, whoever you are, you are a fucking loser my guy. a thick cunt and a loser.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lets assume for the sake of argument you're right.

How does me reading a book stop Pakistanis fucking their blood relatives?
Multiple generations in the west and they're still doing it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Also I was thinking more of the French and Russian revolutions.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Indigenous people in Canada keep burning down Catholic churches. Something needs to be done to protect these churches before the Catholic community takes the situation into their own hands.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://www.facinghistory.org/stolen-li … -apologize

Nations and churches should just own up to wrongs in the past whether or not it's demanded. Unfortunately some equate apology (and "apology tours") with some slight on their culture and respectability, as if it somehow debases the group of people represented by those who extend it. US-wise, I can blame a lot of that on snark from right-wing commentary.

Yes it won't change the past (honestly sick of hearing that, yeah no kidding buddy?), but it can be a prelude to appropriate reparations and measures, society coming to terms with its own history, and finally moving on in a meaningful way.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
All of the people responsible for the stolen kids are dead now. Burning down the local Catholic churches is a hate crime.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's true that torching a catholic church puts emergency crews and the community at risk. It's a pity that people think they have to resort to vandalizing what are sometimes heritage structures to be taken seriously. Perhaps the Catholic church, as rich as it is, could do more to try and right some of its wrongs as best it can so it doesn't come to this.

Brushing off and demonizing groups of people who are rightfully critical of a nation or church's wrongdoings is clearly not working 100%.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
It's been a bit wild with whatever's going on in Canada. I'd never heard of a residential school before a few weeks ago, but I saw some Twitter hot takes like "anyone celebrating Canada Day right now is a heartless bastard", which seems excessive. The institutions can at least apologize for something the current people probably had nothing to do with and then claim it's all square, from the cynical politicking standpoint.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Joe Average Citizen doesn't usually represent their country or their church to the same extent as country or church officials, who can absolutely apologize on their organization's behalf for misdeeds even from before their time. Acknowledgement, recognition, change, meaningful reparation can be enacted by those in power.

Cause & effect, from 1995:

Feds To Pay Weaver Family $3.1 Million Justice Department Settles Suit Over 1992 Killings At Ruby Ridge
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/ … n-justice/

A lot of people thought the Weaver family deserved money for that. Some of those people don't think much of others who ask for a nod to unrelated various wrongs (or genocides). "It's in the past." "Turkey is our strategic ally."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I saw someone on reddit who was highly upvoted for saying 'the Catholic Church should never stop apologizing about its entire history'. That's pretty bigoted. People wouldn't like it very much if Muslims were being asked to apologize over their history.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Funny how its only white people who need to apologise, when are the mongols going to say sorry and pay compensation?

What the Israelis and Chinese are doing is happening today, we need to stop worrying about what happened hundreds of years ago and deal with that now.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
China is the largest site of ethnic cleansing in human history. 1 and a half billion people living in an area the same size as Europe but who all look a like, speak the same language, and follow the same religious tradition?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Weren't "social justice warriors" for the most part happy when Biden chastized Turkey for continuing to sweep the Armenian genocide under the rug? Death marches, mass executions, and Islamization. I see mentions of it swell and recede like tides in social media.

It's a weird role reversal back home. A lot of conservatives I know, I think were opposed to pressuring Turkey on the surface because of the strategic ally thing (finally an opportunity to criticize Biden), but more because knee-jerk reaction. They were usually speechless when I mentioned that Armenians were heavily Christian. Usually Islamic oppression of Christians gets their blood flowing, no.
uziq
+492|3422
what is it with this fucking whatabouttery all the time? china can do bad things and be condemned. israel can too. as can the catholic church.

the role of the catholic church in children's homes and religious schools in ireland, for instance, is a fucking systemic, multi-generational trauma. schools run by nuns with 500 unregistered, undeclared babies buried in sewage tanks in the back. and this was happening in 1980, in a de-facto theocratic state with services ran between the church and local councils, not a hundred years ago in the mists of time.

'but why do white people only have to apologize?' lol fucking okay.

i really don't understand this impulse to detract from an ongoing, relevant, present evil by pointing to another evil.

ironically the CCP and its apologists have finesssed whatabouttery to a fine art. they legitimate (or distract) from everything they do by asking 'but what about the actions of the US imperialists?' etc. etc. ad infinitum.

not very fucking smart folks.

Last edited by uziq (2021-07-01 16:53:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its about priorities, what is happening now, not what happened in the past to people who are already dead.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard