pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
It's funny Roe v Wade is about the governments right to intervene on an abortion. It wasn't directly saying women could have abortions, it was saying the government couldn't decide. The SC decision was that women have a right "without excessive government restriction".
Overturning Roe would turn that back into government having the right to restrict women.

State? Federal? Whatever. Conservatives want to overturn something so the government has power to choose something for you.

Last edited by pirana6 (2021-05-19 01:35:04)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

re state/federal power, I think it's funny hearing conservatives cheer at state governments bringing the hammer down on local mask mandates.

what about muh cities' rights?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Not sure how the Christian right deal with the cognitive dissonance of believing abortion is bad but knowing that restricting it will lead to more black and non-believer kids.

Maybe with their heads permanently on the point of explosion is what makes them so angry.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
They are quick to point out stats about who gets abortions and pretend to care with the claim that those durn librulz are genociding black people via abortions.

They're keeping all their options open of shaming the choice to not have a child one can't support or saying women should keep their legs closed if they do have a child.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas signed into law on Wednesday one of the nation’s most restrictive abortion measures, banning the procedure after six weeks of pregnancy and thrusting the state into the advancing national debate over reproductive rights.

The legislation, also known as the “heartbeat law,” amounts to an outright ban on abortion, as many women are not aware they are pregnant at the six-week mark. It also would allow any private citizen to sue doctors or abortion clinic employees who would perform or help arrange for the procedure.
I am so glad my state doesn't take part in culture war stuff like this.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not sure how the Christian right deal with the cognitive dissonance of believing abortion is bad but knowing that restricting it will lead to more black and non-believer kids.

Maybe with their heads permanently on the point of explosion is what makes them so angry.
the funniest thing to me is that they're also always pro-death penalty and normally anti-gun control.

and of course it's a commonplace to observe that the christian right care more about an insentient ball of cells than they do about, er, real people. not much christian charity or fraternity is extended to the urban poor, blacks, latinos, etc. but when it comes to foetuses they're all saints doing good works and sparing no sympathy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's a vast wall between that kind of observation and their cognizance.

"How can you be pro-death penalty but anti-abortion, if all life is sacred? Why do you want to pack enough firepower to mow down a shopping mall?"

"*something about the founding fathers, jesus, and gays*"

"You don't trust the government with simple regulation, but you welcome an all-powerful police force and trust the government to make life-and-death decisions about a US citizen?"

"I'll take these criminals out back and shoot them myself! Even pay for the bullets!"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As I've said before - Old Testament Christians are the most conflicted.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Texas valedictorian gave an unapproved speech at her HS graduation blasting her states new near total ban on abortion. The video has. Ow gone viral.
“I have dreams, and hopes, and ambitions, every girl graduating today does, and we have spent our entire lives working towards our future. And without our input, and without our consent, our control over that future has been stripped away from us,” Paxton said, which elicited cheers from the audience.

“I am terrified that if my contraceptives fail, I am terrified that if I am raped, then my hopes and aspirations and dreams and efforts for my future will no longer matter,” Paxton added.
If Rush Limbaugh was alive today he would call this girl a slut. But Rush is instead burning in hell and cannot talk
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/47/IHaveNoMouth.jpg/220px-IHaveNoMouth.jpg
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Do pro-choice women think they are guaranteed to get raped? It's weird the mentality of some of these pro-choice arguments I hear.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

War Man wrote:

Do pro-choice women think they are guaranteed to get raped? It's weird the mentality of some of these pro-choice arguments I hear.
Do pro-gun people think they are guaranteed to get into a shootout? It's a weird mentality yadda yadda
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

Do pro-gun people think they are guaranteed to get into a shootout? It's a weird mentality yadda yadda
I like to go out to the range and shoot guns, not expecting to get into a shootout. I haven't even bothered with a concealed carry permit and only carry if I am going to the range or just bought a firearm.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I mean, there's a few dice rolls that have to fall a certain way for a woman to be in that situation, but I expect having that option in your back pocket instead of "tough shit - unplanned pregnancy messing with your life in addition to being assaulted" is a small comfort. It's probably maddening to know that in that situation, you'd have avenues technically available to you to give you back control, but aren't allowed to use them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

I like to go out to the range and shoot guns, not expecting to get into a shootout. I haven't even bothered with a concealed carry permit and only carry if I am going to the range or just bought a firearm.
You are special and I hope you know that
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

I mean, there's a few dice rolls that have to fall a certain way for a woman to be in that situation, but I expect having that option in your back pocket instead of "tough shit - unplanned pregnancy messing with your life in addition to being assaulted" is a small comfort. It's probably maddening to know that in that situation, you'd have avenues technically available to you to give you back control, but aren't allowed to use them.
I'm sorry for injecting race into this discussion and making light of human suffering but the whole thing is somewhat comical when you think about it. I mean there is some white girl going to a fancy college in the south who is going to get date raped by some white guy on a swim team and is going to have to have his baby because some Republican was elected to office on a platform of stopping Black Lives Matter after seeing it on the news two states over.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

Isn't the right to abortion is like the right to guns. Both are tools to defend a person's person from unwanted harm.
uziq
+492|3422

War Man wrote:

you are an idiot and i sincerely hope you accidentally get a girl pregnant so that you’re lumbered with a pair of twins as dumb as you are.
Larssen
+99|1858

War Man wrote:

Coming from a place where abortion has been legal forever I can't for the life of me understand this perpetual argument you all in the US have over life at birth.

There are various situations in which it would be a good decision for a woman to get an abortion. It is also plenty clear the experience of unwanted pregnancy and abortion is extremely stressful, even traumatic, for women. Most importantly you let them have the choice, and let them have control over their bodies. It's an intensely personal decision that shouldn't involve you. What makes you think you have a right to decide this for others?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Something-something, only caring about the fetus, once they're born they're on their own.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Larssen wrote:

War Man wrote:

Coming from a place where abortion has been legal forever I can't for the life of me understand this perpetual argument you all in the US have over life at birth.

There are various situations in which it would be a good decision for a woman to get an abortion. It is also plenty clear the experience of unwanted pregnancy and abortion is extremely stressful, even traumatic, for women. Most importantly you let them have the choice, and let them have control over their bodies. It's an intensely personal decision that shouldn't involve you. What makes you think you have a right to decide this for others?
A large part of it is a performative display of opposition to Hollywood, liberals, independent women and feminism. A lot of pro-life people want attention and to be a part of something. You can see this when right wingers talk about how they are 'the forgotten man' and 'silent majority'. People out enjoying their lives, having sex, and having fun won't pay attention to these people and this is how they get back at them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A lot of the right wing seems to be about sticking it to someone, never mind what makes sense or is productive.
Larssen
+99|1858
Then I suppose the issue is that women have an out if they decide to stick it to them, literally
uziq
+492|3422
so, after years of hearing alarum calls about the ‘dangers’ of CRT, anti-racism, cultural marxism, etc, brainwashing young americans and undermining democratic freedoms …

… now the state of texas is encouraging citizens to police each other’s bodies with one of the most medieval abortion laws in the western world.

i swear the whole left-scare politics is essentially an elephant frighting at a mouse. meanwhile the slow inexorable gains of the right-wing continue apace.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Abortion is only a right wing issue in America because of our two party system. If we had a system where many small parties had a role in government there would probably be a spectrum of different positions.

Anyway, I think this will work out to a "be careful what you wish for" situation for the happy right wingers. Poor people and minorities are going to be the ones who won't be able to book a flight to California for an abortion.
uziq
+492|3422
it's just funny that your right-wing media get apoplectic over pronouns and the 'risk to american freedom', but are sanguine about legislation that literally lets neighbours rule over other's bodies.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard