SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Home prices are out of control. New home construction is low due to construction material inflation.
Pick a housing statistic at random, and it’s probably setting an all-time record. Home prices: record high. Inventory: record low. Percentage of homes selling above asking price: record high. Average time on market: record low.
Yes, it's not the immigrants fault the housing market is such crap but the U.S. has almost 50 million people who are or once were immigrants. Tens of millions more are children of that group are citizens by birth . Maybe it is time to slow down immigration?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Back in 2020, census documented some 17 million unoccupied homes, the story of which is a little deeper than face value.

I've been watching this stuff for years. Homes bought low and flipped high within a short span of time. And something in the mid five figures in the 80s could be a half a million. Sure would suck if you had a lot of health stuff between then and now and are still paying off mortgage.

Maybe if more people could afford to buy homes, there would be more occupied homes and less people living in their cars on Walmart parking lots.

#thingsmillennialsarekliling
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
Home I drive by to work sold within a week. 4.5x the price it was in 2012. 180k for 1.5 acres and 1000 SQ ft, rural
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
How do you all feel about the police? I don't mean the institution but individual police. I don't get nervous or uncomfortable whenever I see a cop on foot nearby but it often makes me mentally groan. They seem dangerous and untrustworthy. I know that is unfair to individual police and pretty much the same reasoning that people make with racism but only one of us has the means to ruin the life of the other so I feel that I am somewhat justified of not wanting to be in the same room with one. You wouldn't want to be in the same room with a bear.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QOXXbrHYBw4/maxresdefault.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I have had more OK interactions than bad interactions, but honestly I would rather have no interactions. I don't feel completely comfortable even standing in line with members of a group of people who will pepper spray a 6-year-old girl or shoot a chihuahua without any qualms. Like how do I know you're not one of the active assholes? There should be less of this kind of unnecessary interaction between the police and the public unless they're not just fucking around.

I have personal and family anecdotes about cop BS but I'm not going to sit here for 30 minutes making bullet points. TL;DR I've personally seen them softened up by Republican bumper stickers, ask people things they have no reason to ask them about on a traffic stop, lie about a stop's reason but still find something to write someone up for, verbally take out their frustrations on a scared woman. And been tailed by a cop for like 15 minutes in a neighboring town until I went into a convenience store.

Is this enjoyable to people? Do they want to be pulled over more? Why are cops defended for unnecessary interactions with the public that don't even result in a verbal warning? Is part of that being grateful you just got a verbal warning? White people: "oh, they're not that bad after all."

Not to detract from them doing things cops should be expected to do, like fill out forms for the court, hunt down porch pirates, find stolen property and company equipment, break up a fight, respond to an amber alert tip and actually save a kid, etc.
uziq
+492|3423
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Weird celebrity gossip. Brietbart ran article letting me know Alec Baldwin's wife is not really Spanish. She apparently has been going around claiming that as her ancestry and giving her kids Spanish names.
Baldwin is of English, French-Canadian, German, Irish, and
Slovak descent.[4] Her paternal grandfather was David L. Thomas Sr. (1927/1928–2020),[12] an "American with roots in the country that pre-dated the American Revolution", and her paternal grandmother Mary Lou (Artman) Thomas was from Nebraska.[7][12] Her paternal grandfather, a native of Ames, Iowa, traveled extensively to Argentina as an auditor for General Electric and at one point lived there.[12][13] He exposed his children to world cultures and raised them to be proficient in Spanish.[12][13] Baldwin claims that she was raised in a Spanish-speaking household and traveled to Spain annually.[14]
The celebrity couple have been married since 2012 and have six children. Their latest addition, daughter María Lucía, arrived via surrogate in March, just five months after the birth of older brother Eduardo “Edu” Pao Lucas.
Hilaria Baldwin was embroiled in a scandal in December over her past claims to having Spanish heritage. It turned out she was born Hillary Hayward-Thomas in Boston to America parents.

“I should have been more clear and I’m sorry,” she said in an apology issued in February.
That's funny. She looks more Spaniard than German but she is probably dying her hair and tanning. Still kind of strange but if she looks Spaniard, speaks the language, lived there and apparently went as far naming her kids Spanish names, I guess she can call herself Spaniard or is that not allowed?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

More from that JCS channel:

Destroyed.
uziq
+492|3423
huge dilbert vibes from this guy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I guess he was a software developer? Why are stem guys like this.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
https://preview.redd.it/44ppo8doj1671.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=3802c97255c42881052877ef0bcc4b2af42685b5
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Juneteenth was already celebrated in some communities. Making it a federal holiday seems like a formality that probably won't fix anything. I don't expect it to be jostling for elbowroom with July 4, and the disunity theorized about here will only happen if people make it happen. Marching into a state to free a quarter of a million people probably should be a momentous occasion acknowledged by all Americans, not folded into the also oft-misunderstood CRT "controversy."

It feels like a superficial patch though. A lazy approach to doing anything other than addressing issues that need to be addressed. "You guys get a holiday and a month. What more do you want?" "Equal treatment in society and under law."

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am against Juneteenth being a holiday because the blacks already have MLK Day. All the white people need to share Columbus day while the Hispanics and Azns don't even get one. Whites get St. Patrick's and Mexicans get Cinco De mayo as small and unrecognized holidays. That still leaves out the Azns, all of them.

Juneteenth should be a holiday but we should have eliminated MLK Day. Also President's day should be on election nights in November.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I got to celebrate the morning of this inaugural federally-recognized Juneteenth by arguing with my mother that systemic racism exists. She seems to think that because some fucking place in New Jersey built a statue of George Floyd and that BLM was written on a street that TOO much has been done for black people. She thinks this performative liberal bullshit matters. Then she bafflingly brought up Columbus as something "they" will want to get rid of next without even knowing people already think he's a piece of shit outside of weird, small Italian heritage organizations.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Did you at least get the day off from work?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I didn't. She actually is a government employee and didn't get it off this year, but said she'd prefer if they didn't have it off but then "half the staff would complain about it [because they're black]". Big yikes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Imagine wanting to go to work so the blacks don't have a day off.

Anyway, blues states are going to incorporate the new holiday in their planning. We are probably going to see endless online debate because some red states refuse to acknowledge it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Having the two dates so close together is going to lead to competition and friction and employers grumbling.

Great forward planning there guys.

Next businesses which remain open will be forced to give blacks the day off but whites will be expected to work.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am against Juneteenth being a holiday because the blacks already have MLK Day. All the white people need to share Columbus day while the Hispanics and Azns don't even get one. Whites get St. Patrick's and Mexicans get Cinco De mayo as small and unrecognized holidays. That still leaves out the Azns, all of them.

Juneteenth should be a holiday but we should have eliminated MLK Day. Also President's day should be on election nights in November.
We could get 30 new national holidays and the time off given to federal employees probably still wouldn't hold a candle to all the breaks top politicians take. Chinese New Year and CDM at least are commercialized here with sales and advertising like a lot of white holidays. May is Asian/Pacific Heritage month still, isn't it? We can have a Juneteenth and a MLK day and a black history month. Who cares. I still think it's an empty gesture when used to avoid doing anything substantial (actionable police reform, better minimum wages and pay oversight for overtime workers, more vacation time, sick days that people aren't afraid to take, concessions for small groups and individual actors competing with corporate giants, affordable housing, affordable health care, better coverage for dental, mental).

Moving Presidents Day to election day is pointless. Not even everyone gets the day off, so what does it matter. Why should Americans have to stand in a 7 hour line to vote, so inconsistently inconvenient from district to district. Let people vote by mail in every state. If the Republicans want to whine about it, they should change their platform so that people will vote for them in areas they need to win. Running candidates people want to vote for would help too. It shouldn't be difficult.

Notice how all the Presidents Days fall on a Monday? That was an intentional change to give people who actually get the day off more three-day weekends. But if you're one of those guys who works 7 full days a week and holidays, I guess you're just more American.

e:

Cinco De Mayo is probably bigger here than in Mexico. Down there, it commemorates a victory in a war they lost. Mexican Independence Day is actually Sep 16. There are tons of holidays more important than May 5.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I would put election sites at the top of hills with no vehicle access so fat and lazy people are excluded from have to work harder to vote.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That would also hinder your furry friends. Imagine hiking in a fursuit in Australian heat?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A full fur-suit is unnecessary, ears and tail are enough
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Do Australians have to stand in line for 10 hours to vote? Imagine arresting someone for passing out bottled water to people who are actually dying.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No of course not, Australia is an actual democracy.
uziq
+492|3423

DesertFox- wrote:

I got to celebrate the morning of this inaugural federally-recognized Juneteenth by arguing with my mother that systemic racism exists. She seems to think that because some fucking place in New Jersey built a statue of George Floyd and that BLM was written on a street that TOO much has been done for black people. She thinks this performative liberal bullshit matters. Then she bafflingly brought up Columbus as something "they" will want to get rid of next without even knowing people already think he's a piece of shit outside of weird, small Italian heritage organizations.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard