Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

Sometimes Simpsons tries to be woke but ends up insulting people anyway. From popular slave labor couch gag,

South Korean Cartoonists Cry Foul Over The Simpsons
http://content.time.com/time/world/arti … 68,00.html

Shin was disappointed. The satire, he and other animators have since argued, gave the impression that Asian artists slave away in subpar sweatshops when, in fact, they animate much of The Simpsons every week in high-tech workshops in downtown Seoul. "Most of the content was about degrading people from Korea, China, Mexico and Vietnam," Shin fumed. "If Banksy wants to criticize these things ... I suggest that he learn more about it first."

It's no secret that the animation work for many American and European cartoons is doled out to low-wage studios in developing nations. At its height in the 1980s and '90s, South Korea was known for its work-for-hire agreements in which artists animated the storyboards that foreign clients sent to them. But even though South Korea's wealth keeps wages high by regional standards, the country's animators still make one-third the salaries of their American counterparts — earning the South Korean industry a reputation for pumping out episodes on tight deadlines at reasonable prices.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675
Alone 3/10

Stopped about 30% of the way through the movie.

It is an American adaption of a Korean zombie movie 'Alive' which I would give 8/10

The issue with the American movie is that the protagonist is a whiny, melodramatic, man child. He is unlikable. Okay, I personally identify more with the computer nerd than I do with the surfer/rocker. But the computer nerd had a much more fun and interesting reaction to the whole thing than the American who immediately goes into melodrama/despair/smashing things and screaming.

There is probably some commentary there about the American mindset that made the Alone producers think it was a smart move to get rid of the lovable loser computer nerd and replace him with an angsty manchild covered in tattoos. In the American version the literal first scene is of the main character attempting to commit suicide by hanging himself. In the Korean version IIRC it starts with the guy getting up to play video games while the apocalypse happens in the background. Wildly different framing of the same story. A big bad change.

I am not alone in this thinking.

Alone (IMDB 4.9), (RT 25%), (SJW 3/10)
#Alive (IMDB 6.2), (RT 88%), (SJW 8/10)
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

At least they don't share a name.

There's some pretty cool flicks from South Korea. Also, I was rewatching some clips from Taegukgi, and found this Chinese movie in the suggestion bar:


Might give it a watch.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,733|5062|eXtreme to the maX
Death of Stalin 6.5/10 - Certainly a weird concept
#FreeBritney
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,711|5693|Oxferd Ohire
Robot jox, 5/10. A sort of fun B movie. Bits really drag in the middle and the lead kinda sucks.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675
Zach Snyder's Army of the Dead was released today on Netflix. 8/10



This movie is 2 and a half hours long. It needed to be trimmed. I know Zach Synder has a reputation of making his movies overlong and this is no different. What is frustrating about this movie is that the run time is bloated due to the inclusion of more plot twist which only undermine the story. But it is a fun movie nonetheless. It's also not so much a Zombie movie as it is an action movie with zombies included.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
There is one big plot twist that totally negates the entire plot of the movie. So the premise is that a super Zombie from Area 51 got loss near Las Vegas. The government then puts Vegas under quarantine. A half assed quarantine. I mean there are very few soldiers around enforcing the quarantine. Anyway, a casino owner hires a former soldier who was part of the military effort to rescue the secretary of defense from Vegas during the Zombie outbreak. He tells the guy he has $200 million in a vault under a casino, could you go get it for $50,000,000? So the former soldier puts together his team like any other heist movie. The casino owner makes the team take his sketchy head of security guy along on the trip. They manage to literally walk through a tunnel into Vegas. The tunnel was in a refugee camp on the border of Vegas. People had actually been using the tunnel the entire time to go into Vegas, scavenge money, and buy their way out of the refugee camp. Again, no sense at all. But whatever, heist movie.

To complicate things, the government is going to nuke Vegas in 24 hours. This is the start of a series of plot twist which detract from the movie rather than add. Like Snyder keeps adding plot twist because he doesn't think the tension of Vegas Zombie heist movie is enough. Okay so a little yadda yadda later the group that literally walked into the worst quarantined city in the world reaches the casino and finds bunch of bodies with the same blueprints they have. So they figure that the casino owner had been sending other teams to go get the money and this is his last ditch effort to get the money. Okay a pretty good twist. Here is where it goes off the rails: it turns out the whole thing was a trick to get the soldier to escort the sketchy corporate guy into the city to get a head off of a zombie to create a bioweapon. The head is "worth 10 times the vault". If all you wanted was a head from a Zombie, why didn't you just create a team to go get a head instead of complicating the whole thing with a casino heist? If the U.S. government was a part of the operation to retrieve the head, why wasn't this a more sophisticated/better trained and armed operation? If all you needed was a head from a single Zombie, why did you need to send at least two teams? Why does the U.S. government need a Zombie head if they created the T-virus or whatever? In the entire war to quarantine Vegas, the U.S. government and nobody else managed to get a few heads out of there? This makes no sense at all.


There is more to complain about it but whatever.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

I watched some clips and feel that between those and the stuff you wrote that I can be spared watching the thing from start to finish. Thanks.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675
Just watch the open titles and call it a day.

It reminds me of the Wolverine movie in the fact that the opening sequence seemed more interesting than the movie we got.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

What's up with the zombie who looks like he's in deep thought at 1:20 on the titles? Why are there paratroopers being dropped into that mess?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,733|5062|eXtreme to the maX
A Quiet Place II 6.5/10

Filled a couple of hours, not much in it which hasn't been in Walking Dead over and over, or Mars Attacks.

Emily Blunt is nice though, and her bottom seems to be filling out.
#FreeBritney
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What's up with the zombie who looks like he's in deep thought at 1:20 on the titles? Why are there paratroopers being dropped into that mess?
That is Zeus. He is the original Zombie and the one that started the outbreak. He is fast, and smart. He can create other smart and fast 'supervisor' zombies.

'If he is so smart why hasn't he figured out how to get out of the quarantine zone?" Good question...
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What's up with the zombie who looks like he's in deep thought at 1:20 on the titles? Why are there paratroopers being dropped into that mess?
That is Zeus. He is the original Zombie and the one that started the outbreak. He is fast, and smart. He can create other smart and fast 'supervisor' zombies.

'If he is so smart why hasn't he figured out how to get out of the quarantine zone?" Good question...
That still doesn't explain the paratroopers. Seriously, what the heck.

Of course the little kid ran towards the horde for a hug. So manipulative on the movie's part.

You'd think the first thing they'd do after dropping that section in place is get everyone from the main wall so that they could fill the perimeter with landmines, barbed wire, and drone gun oversight and surround that with another wall. I guess there's still the nuclear option, though?

Makes me think of Andromeda Strain where atomics are actually a bad idea. The '71 movie I think left more of an impact on me as a kid than any zombie film. A sequel to the original book was released in 2019, though I don't know if Daniel Wilson went off of Crichton notes or did his own thing though. Yet to read it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What's up with the zombie who looks like he's in deep thought at 1:20 on the titles? Why are there paratroopers being dropped into that mess?
That is Zeus. He is the original Zombie and the one that started the outbreak. He is fast, and smart. He can create other smart and fast 'supervisor' zombies.

'If he is so smart why hasn't he figured out how to get out of the quarantine zone?" Good question...
That still doesn't explain the paratroopers. Seriously, what the heck.

Of course the little kid ran towards the horde for a hug. So manipulative on the movie's part.

You'd think the first thing they'd do after dropping that section in place is get everyone from the main wall so that they could fill the perimeter with landmines, barbed wire, and drone gun oversight and surround that with another wall. I guess there's still the nuclear option, though?

Makes me think of Andromeda Strain where atomics are actually a bad idea. The '71 movie I think left more of an impact on me as a kid than any zombie film. A sequel to the original book was released in 2019, though I don't know if Daniel Wilson went off of Crichton notes or did his own thing though. Yet to read it.
I already mentioned that the military stuff 🪖🎖️ around the movie doesn't stand the logic test. The paratroopers just looked cool to get killed under a parachute.

I think a bigger problem than the military stuff is the issue regarding overstuffing the movie with new plot twist and stories. This movie could have been better if they kept a tight and simple "Zombie Vegas Heist" instead of adding 'fast zombies, smart Zombies, robot zombies, zombie babies and marriages, rescue mission, corporate espionage, father daughter reconciliation, border/refugee/police drama etc."

I never watched either Justice League but whoever edited the first one was probably right to cut down all of Zach Synder's bloat.

Also there is going to be a prequel anime and maybe a sequel. Netflix is going all in on this IP..
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

There are overdone and repetitive memes about how overdone and repetitive heist movies are, and all that subversion of expectations stuff.

A zombie outbreak in the middle bank robbery could be an alright cult zombie flick. I could imagine the robbers, clients, staff having to barricade the place to survive. One of the polite robbers could turn out to be a True Villain and turn on everyone, and the scary-looking robber you thought was the real bad guy could have a heart of gold and get eaten as a part of his redemption arc. The audience would never expect that!

Bonus points if it's in the old west or something.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There are overdone and repetitive memes about how overdone and repetitive heist movies are, and all that subversion of expectations stuff.

A zombie outbreak in the middle bank robbery could be an alright cult zombie flick. I could imagine the robbers, clients, staff having to barricade the place to survive. One of the polite robbers could turn out to be a True Villain and turn on everyone, and the scary-looking robber you thought was the real bad guy could have a heart of gold and get eaten as a part of his redemption arc. The audience would never expect that!

Bonus points if it's in the old west or something.
Your idea reminds me of In Cold Blood.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
The murders were all committed by the nice and gentle of the two robbers. The other one that talks big of murder and violence throughout the novel turns out to have been just an accomplice. You don't learn this until the very end though and assume the violent talking one is the real killer.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

Coming up with unique ideas for heist movies is getting to be like coming up with unique ideas for Simpsons episodes.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,711|5693|Oxferd Ohire


you don't have to watch it mac but these nerds are the only reason I go to youtube

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-05-25 14:48:45)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

Red Letter Media is one of the treasures of youtube. Just seeing that thumbnail makes me chuckle thinking of their coverage of that one alien movie with the rolling circle ship.

e: skimmed through this one. lol at 31:56, side-by-side with American Werewolf. Pretty blatant-looking.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+459|2675
The last time Star Wars was cool. 2016

Also I can't take Vader as a villain seriously anymore. Too many Vader memes and parodies over the years.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,896|5727|USA

It was a cool scene, but he's probably moping about his dead, murdered wife somewhere in the back of his mind while gutting rebels.

Notice how in A New Hope the stormtroopers were sent in first? I mean the plans still escaped, but it would be funny if there was a repeat of him inefficiently killing rebels, giving a smaller starship time to pop out and go into light speed with Leia aboard.

I think he wanted to see the Death Star fail. He was still kind of Jedi-snobby about Force superiority.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard