Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
The last sentence is always the best "What will they do next, TAX AIR?!?!?!?!??!?!"

We have local ads thankfully, which I don't watch.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Oh no gender neutrality. I couldn't care less about any of this but was disturbed at the strong defense of toy guns and kids playing with them at 2:50 and elsewhere. It's obvious pandering and more unfortunate linking of guns to masculinity that is so common in America. Also they mention a study about giving trucks and dolls to monkeys but they didn't mention anyone trying to give a monkey a gun. What's up with that? Maybe monkeys would prefer soft dolls to cold glocks. Makes you think?

Also neutrality
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
What's wrong with toy guns

I know someone who has a toy gun at 30

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-05-14 09:34:20)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We shouldn't link fundamental aspects of male childhood to tools of violence. Nothing good will come of it. I am saying this as someone whose reddit.com/saved is a horror show of gun violence.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

A toy gun seems like a good way to get your kid ratted out by a neighbor and shot by police. Probably not the best climate for them these days.

Then again, all it takes is a toy truck.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
or a poptart
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6683|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

We shouldn't link fundamental aspects of male childhood to tools of violence. Nothing good will come of it. I am saying this as someone whose reddit.com/saved is a horror show of gun violence.
We had kids in the mid ages playing swords with sticks. Firearms have replaced swords as the weapon of a soldier, I see no issue with toy guns for kids.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's arguable that chopping each other up wholesale wasn't a psychologically healthy activity either. Living in an environment where you're considered old at 30, no thank you. I'm partly with mac on this one, and as a shooter besides. Guns and gun-like objects shouldn't be considered children's toys, something a number (but not 100%) of vets I've talked to, ranging from WW2 on, seem to agree with.

Ever see a kid go to pump a shotgun like Doom guy? Harrowing.
War Man

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's arguable that chopping each other up wholesale wasn't a psychologically healthy activity either. Living in an environment where you're considered old at 30, no thank you. I'm partly with mac on this one, and as a shooter besides. Guns and gun-like objects shouldn't be considered children's toys, something a number (but not 100%) of vets I've talked to, ranging from WW2 on, seem to agree with.

By that logic, we shouldn't have violent videogames.

Kids are kids.

Last edited by War Man (2021-05-17 19:59:26)

uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

this is a huge misconception about the middle ages. people were not considered 'old' at 30. infant mortality and dying due to disease or accident were relatively very high, which skews the average life expectancy. you can find any number of medieval graveyards or burial sites in europe of people who are 'old'. the sense that life was 'nasty, brutish and short' is more apposite for pre-hobbesian societies without an organised state, not medieval kingdoms and the era of knight gallantry. 

as regards the bad comparison to 'children playing with swords': young children in the middle ages didn't have access to real weapons. there were no 'mass slayings' in public places by troubled children. it's a totally silly comparison. youngsters playing with toy swords and pretending to be arthurian knights or heroic adventurers were doing just that: pretending using a wooden model or a stick or a branch. there was no weapons cache or gun safe in the corner of the family home containing a readily accessible real weapon. derp.

Last edited by uziq (2021-05-17 22:31:38)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Who is this directed at, zeek?

- "At 30," for the sake of color. If everything went well you could still be expected to live into your 60s and 70s blah blah, I know.
- Yes, I totally think the average kid had access to a full on swords and battle armor. /s
- I think guns at home are a huge danger, derp. And not just from accidental discharge. A significant number of gun deaths are suicide.

@warman Video games with guns are probably inappropriate for children and parents should probably avoid buying them. Not because of some dubious connection to aggression, but because I believe it gives them the wrong message about guns. This doesn't mean I think that violent games should be banned. That seems to be the counter a lot. "Well then I guess we just ban violent games." lol no

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 143111.htm
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

We had kids in the mid ages playing swords with sticks. Firearms have replaced swords as the weapon of a soldier, I see no issue with toy guns for kids.
In the middle ages, there were often laws that prohibited the ownership of swords to non-nobility. In Japan specifically for instance, it was a death sentence.

I too have watched movies where in the middle ages kids played with sticks as swords in fields. I think that might be a Hollywood invention. Aside from the fact that children had little time to play back  then since subsistence farming requires child labor, swords were not as ubiquitous as people think. Spears were the most common military weapon. And warfare back then was nothing like Hollywood shows it where people with swords fight 1 v 1 in fields surrounded by other people doing the same. How would a rural farm boy even know what a medieval battle looked like considering photography didn't exist?
War Man

SuperJail Warden wrote:

War Man wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In the middle ages, there were often laws that prohibited the ownership of swords to non-nobility. In Japan specifically for instance, it was a death sentence.

I too have watched movies where in the middle ages kids played with sticks as swords in fields. I think that might be a Hollywood invention. Aside from the fact that children had little time to play back  then since subsistence farming requires child labor, swords were not as ubiquitous as people think. Spears were the most common military weapon. And warfare back then was nothing like Hollywood shows it where people with swords fight 1 v 1 in fields surrounded by other people doing the same. How would a rural farm boy even know what a medieval battle looked like considering photography didn't exist?
I am well aware of the swords rarity to a spear, pike, or axe for a common militia. I just said sword to simplify things with one weapon and not mention several at once.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

War Man wrote:

Kids are kids.
Off the beaten track for a moment, I'd sort of like to comment that phrases like this are a great way for adults to shirk responsibility as guardians. Ex: "oh, well. Boys will be boys!" Kicking someone's shit in or getting your shit kicked in should not be some inviolable rite of passage, and crap like that has probably contributed to the creation of a number of psychopaths. Also in some cases, small town attitudes about fisticuffs don't generally play well when your family moves to a community where kids are carrying knives.

"Looks like that Dahmer fellow's up to his old tricks, huh?"
"Oh, men and their hobbies."
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I've found out that apparently there's very contentious discussion in the LGBT community about whether or not kink shit "belongs" at pride festivals. The most frequent example is seemingly leather dudes, which I found odd because it is like stereotypical gay guy attire since at least the disco era. There's argument about whether things are sexual and therefore make the event less "friendly" to everyone, but others insist that it isn't *for* everyone, and it's more important for certain people to express themselves since they aren't normally able to in society.

It's interesting to see because most of my previous exposure to LGBT has largely been monolithic (even though I know they're not because what group is). That said, Twitter people are crazy and need to experience more of the actual world they live in.
uziq
+492|3422
i prefer my gays kinky.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think it's ok for people to be embarrassed by people in or in the orbit of their community whether the offenders are trans Gamestop Karens, lewd leather fetishists, or lascivious furry conventioneers.
uziq
+492|3422
there has always been a divide within the gay communities between two tendencies/doctrines, call them radicals and reformists.

some want to be 'loud and proud' and to make pride/stonewall/etc an unapologetic celebration of gay identity. others just want for gays to be accepted in mainstream, bourgeois, nuclear-family-style society.

the same thing happens in feminism too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Some years back a Jew "complained about a Christmas tree at an airport," so the airport took it down. This was how it got presented, and it became a local hot topic. Context:

Seattle Airport Removes Christmas Trees
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seattle-ai … mas-trees/

All nine Christmas trees have been removed from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport instead of adding a giant Jewish menorah to the holiday display as a rabbi had requested.

Maintenance workers boxed up the trees during the graveyard shift early Saturday, when airport bosses believed few people would notice.

"We decided to take the trees down because we didn't want to be exclusive," said airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt. "We're trying to be thoughtful and respectful, and will review policies after the first of the year."

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, who made his request weeks ago, said he was appalled by the decision. He had hired a lawyer and threatened to sue if the Port of Seattle didn't add the menorah next to the trees, which had been festooned with red ribbons and bows.

"Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season," said Bogomilsky, who works in Seattle at the regional headquarters for Chabad Lubavitch, a Jewish education foundation.

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn't have time to play cultural anthropologists.
So he "didn't mean it like that," but he was ready to sue over holiday decorations, and I guess the airport didn't feel like dealing with any of it that year. Damage was already done, anyway. More fodder for the War on Christmas.

Where this fits into people feeling embarrassed over the actions of people in their community, is a Jewish radio host I sometimes listened to at the time was really critical of the guy, saying his actions hurt the Jewish community. The sentiment was shared by other Jews, and I do think it spurred area anti-semites.

"They've darkened the hall instead of turning the lights up," said Bogomilsky's lawyer, Harvey Grad. "There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch."

Craig Watson, the port's chief lawyer, said Bogomilsky had threatened to file the lawsuit if the port didn't make a decision by the end of last week.

"It just wasn't going to get done before the threatened lawsuit was filed. They said they were on their way to the courthouse," Watson said. "We're not in the business of offending anyone, and we're not eager to get into a federal lawsuit with anyone."

Port commissioner John Creighton said he'd hoped the trees would come down "quietly." Instead, airline employees called Seattle television stations. Creighton said he's received several irate e-mails.
Fast forward years later to 2021,

Israel Arrests 2 for Burning Christmas Trees
That’s right, the Jewish state hunted down those who would dare desecrate the symbols of Christmas
https://www.israeltoday.co.il/read/isra … mas-trees/
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The menorah is a hate symbol. It shouldn't be displayed anywhere.

I'm half joking. I mean you can definitely see someone saying that with all of their heart but also Judaism isn't like Christianity at all when it comes to being inclusive. The menorah is a ethnic symbol like the Kwanzaa thing.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JKLvaql9Xvg/maxresdefault.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I actually like candles, but I don't like the extra risk of my house burning down.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I like to burn incense but I have heard that there is a cancer risk added to them. I am saying that as a person who vapes until their chest hurts though so whatever.
uziq
+492|3422
imagine being so cucked that you perceive the menorah as a threat to your identity. you see menorahs in windows or living rooms all over the U.K. and europe. a ‘hate symbol’ lmfao.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

At face value it seems like the airport wasn't given much time to respond if the lawsuit was already kicking off. I don't blame them for taking down everything in to head that off. If he had just asked nicely, I don't see why they wouldn't have put one up.

At the same time as avoiding the lawsuit, I think it can be read as a masterful act of trollish passive-aggression. Someone in all that had to have been aware of the possible backfire.

I don't really hear people talking about menorahs much in the PNW, and certainly not paranoid at an attack on their identity. For a lot of people I guess it's just another decoration sold alongside Christmas things. The War on Christmas stuff in this incident was focused on the tree removal, and sadly Jews.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard