unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That small business owners can be tyrants doesn't really set them apart from other groups of business people. Property owners, property managers, district managers, accountants, etc., can be a pain to deal with.

Running a small business should not be punitive as the default state of things. The Republicans can easily snap these guys up because it sucks and all they have to do is blame Democrat taxes, red tape, and oppressive imposed admin overhead. Which is arguably a valid point in some relentless cities and states.

Starting a business doesn't automatically make you a bottomless well of time and money to do and pay stuff. The idea persists into social media as well, people thinking all small biz guys get to take off for half the year jet skiing or whatever. Please, with these recessions and the pandemic, people have been dipping into their personal accounts and taking out loans just to stay operational.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That small business owners can be tyrants doesn't really set them apart from other groups of business people. Property owners, property managers, district managers, accountants, etc., can be a pain to deal with.
Correct but no one runs ads during the Superbowl telling people to support small landlords or support your regional manager.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

A small grocery selling local produce or a small timer doing maintenance work for construction equipment is a slightly different matter than a slumlord living comfortably in a gated community in another state, leeching huge profits from barely-qualifies-as-flipped properties. Don't you think?

It sounds like your mechanic job pissed you off. Get some perspective.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
And what of the small grocery stores with poverty wages for employees? Are we supposed to sing them a sad song too?

All I am asking is to not get guilt tripped.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That circles back to the exact thing you quoted from me. Even small business owners can be jerks. Read the next stuff, though. I don't feel like you got the full gist.

The atmosphere to grow a small business in shouldn't be adversarial with the government just because one in however many small business owners are like those problem adult-children from Restaurant Nightmares who pocket tips. Loosening unnecessary grip can at least give small biz the breathing room to, once away from the brink, offer competitive wages and actual benefits packages. Ones that don't can then be dissected in the BF2S court of public opinion.

Additionally, Democrats making more of a point to be small-biz friendly would steal some votes from biz-focused Republicans who don't care about gay marriage or all the abortion stuff, which is coincidentally a lot of my Republican contacts. Voting Republicans out of office is a thing of interest to me. Also not having both a sales and an income tax in Washington (all for an income, just forever abolish the not-progressive-at-all sales).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
What specific policies does the government enforce that hurts small business owners aside from sales tax? I am skeptical of big business deregulation for what it is worth. Flammable faucet water and subprime mortgages etc.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I know not every small business owner is a kitchen nightmares episode. And I know that big businesses ultimately can do more harm than the pizza place down the street from me.

But the main difference between vast sums of small business owners and corporate cocaine monsters is a matter of size. Same mindset among both groups. Many small businesses would cut their employees throat as fast as Jack Welch would.

And the thing that mostly annoys me is the "support small business" and how it dovetails with republican identity politics. A lot of small business people go around with "self made man" views of themselves and I don't need to explain how screwed up all that is.

My comparison of it to "support the troops" and "support the police" I think is pretty spot on. Of course not all American troops would commit My Lai and not all American cops would shoot you in a hotel. But I really don't like how people are guilted into showing concern for what are basically economic/professional groups.

Finally, as for myself. Yes, my professional group also has a "Support X" thing going for it that makes me roll my eyes since I know that not all small theater companies 🎭 are full of good people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Kitchen Nightmares, right. Gordon has like a billion shows, doesn't he.

Gosh, where to even begin. High operating fees, licensing fees, local permits, renewals of these, government delegation of "collections" duties to people who run businesses (enjoy being the "bad guy" processing withholdings and having to explain why; also why should the boss know about an employee's child support?). Papers, papers, papers. The paper pushers giving you all that stuff to do seem to think you have all the time in the world to do it. Or you get to hire accountants and tax attorneys to take care of it, yet another expense. I'm not talking about being allowed to empty industrial byproduct into a wildlife sanctuary.

I'll concede that the "support small businesses" message from Republicans is often empty, disingenuous pandering, with about the same unenthusiastic momentum of a commercial celebrating pandemic health care workers. But I don't feel that it's quite up to the level of the unconditional thin blue liners. And certainly not the reflexive "thank you for your service (but screw off and die underneath an overpass)." I am told by some business contacts that the Republicans "saved them" in the past, but they can't seem to explain how. The Reagan 80s must exist in some quantum prison.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

RTHKI wrote:

Like, you know mechanics can look at a car and see damage
Yeah, they have like x-ray vision with micron accuracy, they can look inside an engine and see the wear well before it starts making a noise.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Missouri abandons voter-approved Medicaid expansion
Less than a year after Missouri voters approved a constitutional amendment expanding Medicaid coverage, Gov. Mike Parson (R) said Thursday he will drop plans to implement the expansion after legislators refused to provide funding.

Parson sent a letter to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services formally withdrawing plans to expand MO HealthNet, the state’s Medicaid program. He said the legislature’s refusal to fund the expansion threatened the entire program’s fiscal solvency.

“Although I was never in support of MO HealthNet expansion, I always said that I would uphold the ballot amendment if it passed. The majority of Missouri voters supported it, and we included funds for the expansion in our budget proposal,” Parson said in a statement. “However, without a revenue source or funding authority from the General Assembly, we are unable to proceed with the expansion at this time.”

I mean not since innocent people are going to die early deaths related to preventable blah blah. But the state votes red and this is what you get. Get fucked
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
"Florida becomes 23rd state to prematurely end $300 unemployment benefits"

Florida became the latest Republican state to announce that it will opt out of a federal program that boosted unemployment benefits by $300 a week amid a growing debate about whether the sweetened aid is deterring Americans from returning to work.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming have also said they will drop out of the program this summer.
This is really excellent news for two reasons: It is genuinely novel to see states purposefully economically sabotage themselves for identity politics and the midterm elections. I do appreciate being surprised by new things. Secondly, get fucked red state people. I know the most vulnerable and innocent will be most affected but that is still their state's problems while blue states get pseudo UBI.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of thought that went into this strategy is to create worse conditions for their people, and then blame the Biden administration. Of course it will all be worth it if McConnell can reclaim majority.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of thought that went into this strategy is to create worse conditions for their people, and then blame the Biden administration. Of course it will all be worth it if McConnell can reclaim majority.
I figured that is their plan and the Governors themselves believe they will get voted back in just by being republicans in their red states. So whatever, you get the government you vote for.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's not like Democrats can't nurse their own wastelands, but it's pretty egregious to cut off benefits your people actually want. A hundred years ago and Pinkertons would be marching people to the factories at gunpoint or something.

"Trust in trickle-down theory!" *some tax money trickles back* "No, wait!"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's not like Democrats can't nurse their own wastelands,
Disappointed agreement.

I think democrats are making a mistake with defund the police and keeping schools and a lot more closed to the point that they are. Put everyone out of work and then fire all the police? Good lord...

That said at least we still get extended unemployment. Please send blue states moar stimulus.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Republicans hate our gov now after Covid idk if he wants to continue after that harassment
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am interested in seeing how the gubernatorial election in Michigan goes. I can see both sides sinking a tremendous amount of money to get Whitmer out of office because culture war.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I was curious what sort of info you get from our broker service when selling company shares through our employee share plan at work and wanted to realize some of my gains that have basically doubled in value from when I purchased them, so I just had an order filled selling about 20% of my shares. I get to put long-term capital gains on my taxes next year!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
According to New York Times, the eviction moratorium ends on Saturday. They put together a really interesting infographic map thing on their website.

We desperately need to think up a euphemism for the word 'landlord'. "What about the small landlords who can't pay their mortgages?" Sorry I can't help but imagine landed gentry when people talk about landlords.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

rent-seeker.

fuck them small landlords who couldn't pay off their mortgage that they could only pay to begin with because someone else was actually paying it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"Property owner" is the running euphemism.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

According to New York Times, the eviction moratorium ends on Saturday. They put together a really interesting infographic map thing on their website.

We desperately need to think up a euphemism for the word 'landlord'. "What about the small landlords who can't pay their mortgages?" Sorry I can't help but imagine landed gentry when people talk about landlords.
they're called a rentier class. landlords are seldom really 'landed' and certainly not 'gentry'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

rent-seeker.

fuck them small landlords who couldn't pay off their mortgage that they could only pay to begin with because someone else was actually paying it.
Thats how renting works, it allows for a mobile workforce, its not a bad thing if its managed properly.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Screw the slumlords but also screw the destructive, asshole renters.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Why can't we just build out more?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard