unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's just the description ties in so well with what I expect from zombie films. Either boarding up or traveling to another place to board up. I guess in a way CoD Zombies got it somewhat right.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Come to think of it I would probably make a good hoarder since I have watched so much 'board up the windows with furniture' footage.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Remember to not put the boards on straight. Get them crossed somehow like a lumber basket weave.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Also I should throw away my hammer and instead use some other solid object from the home.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Another board. Also don't forget to leave a bunch of nails sticking out and bent. As long as they're obviously not hammered fully in, it's good.

Project Zomboid lets you toss a sheet over a window and hammer boards into both sides. You can create the Fort Knox of barricaded paranoia homes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The Courier 8/10 - Great work, would have rated it higher but then it would be level with Cats.

Maleficent 1 and 2. 2 wasn't as good as the first, too much turgid exposition and injection of wokist characters.
The fan video does make me tear up a little bit, more so than the film TBH

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Do you have any examples? Apart from the graphics, nothing about Maleficent, fan-fic fare that it is, stuck out that much to me. I certainly don't remember it being "woke" or anything like that. A flying goat-fairy queen doesn't seem like it's going out of its focus group way to meet some corporate diversity quota.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm confident the Sleeping Beauty story probably didn't have black or overtly LGBTQI characters for instance.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's the thing standing out to you? The story is already different than Sleeping Beauty. Its whole schtick was casting the villain in a sympathetic light. There was this whole cloudburst of fairytale retellings of that nature for awhile.

Denzel Washington played Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing without damaging the integrity of the production. You read like someone still salty about Samuel L. Jackson in the role of that Marvel g-man.

Honestly I thought you'd be more mad that the white king is a bad guy.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's the thing standing out to you? The story is already different than Sleeping Beauty. Its whole schtick was casting the villain in a sympathetic light. There was this whole cloudburst of fairytale retellings of that nature for awhile.

Denzel Washington played Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing without damaging the integrity of the production. You read like someone still salty about Samuel L. Jackson in the role of that Marvel g-man.

Honestly I thought you'd be more mad that the white king is a bad guy.
Are you talking about casting choices in Shakespeare's movie adaptions?
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/021/relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

I have no strong feelings about black Don Pedro. It was a weird inclusion since he is the only black guy in the movie but a black guy in Spain at least makes more sense than putting black people in medieval Poland like the Witcher. I also feel there is a difference between 'woke for the sake of woke' and 'expanding viewership bases'. What that difference truly is in is the eye of the beholder though.

For instance the Leonardo DiCaprio Romeo and Juliet is the best film adaption of the play ever in my opinion.

In the movie several characters were made black and Hispanic and it didn't hurt the story at all. The makers of that movie wanted their modern adaption to feel modern and putting in a cast of characters representative of 90's LA/NYC fits that. This adaption of the play is what almost all English teacher reward their students with watching after finishing the play. I think in a rapidly demographically changing America, the fact that this adaption didn't go for an all white cast is going to help it stay mainstream forever. Further, the movie's inclusion of nonwhite's actually made sense in the story. The Hispanic and black characters are Capulets. Juliet is still white but in the original play and movie Tybalt and Mercutio are her cousins. So it actually makes sense that the non-white Capulets would have issues with the white Montagues even if the movie doesn't plainly address it. It makes much more sense than sprinkling black people into both families. If the movie was made today I am sure people would be upset that it is WoKe but whatever. The movie is way more fun than seeing over dressed British people shuffle around sunny northern Italy. 

Ok now onto the fun stuff: ZoMbIeS

Dawn of the Dead (1978) Remastered Directors Cut
10/10, First 10 out of 10 movie I ever listed here. You can watch the whole 2 and a half hour movie in 1080p on youtube with the link below.

This is actually the first Zombie movie I have ever seen. So all Zombie movies by Romero are mentally classified as 'Dawn" instead of 'Night' for me. This movie is just perfect. I could go into it in more detail if you like buy discussing the racial politics of Shakespeare has exhausted me.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Romeo + Juliet is one of the only movies I've ever walked out of during the middle of the screening. It was so so so bad.

Complaining about trans people in a movie with faeries and chimeras is what finally made me realize Dilbert is on some absurdist comedy posting spree. Well done, 10/10.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The idea of a black LGBTQI Chimera is what is absurd here Ken.

Also does the I stand for Incel? I hope it does, incels need friends.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't really pay attention to any of the complaints about black people in the Witcher. It's a fantasy series, in a fantasy version of the world. That I haven't seen it makes the complaints even less relevant to my interests.

One issue with off-casting character race, sex, w/e for all that comic book or fantasy junk, from a SJW point of view, is there's sort of a message to that stating "we can't make any roles suited to you directly, so why don't you play this normally white male character." I can see its point, but I don't think it holds water most of the time. What matters I guess is that the character and actor are treated with respect even if it is a cornball shapeshifting gay fairy or whatever.

I liked '96 R&J, but I don't watch it often. Maybe twice since it came out, seemed better the second time.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I look forward to seeing a white man cast as Martin Luther King.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's not really comparable to a fictional character, is it. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cast a Chinese person as Henry Ford or an American Indian as Custer, would it.

They could easily make Bruce Wayne black in one of the versions of Batman since being white is not really its core trait, but Black Panther wouldn't really work for a white guy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Just to rephrase, a person cast to play a historical role in a feature film should look somewhat like the actual person they're playing, especially those in living memory or with well known portraiture (exceptions for cases like local stage productions obviously, where you use the troupe you've got). But who cares if Star Girl or whatever is black or orange? Much less a bunch of third-hand characters in a revamp of an already Disneyfied fairy tale.

See also: the ridiculous griping about poc in Star Wars movies. It would be a miracle if humans spread throughout the galaxy living on different worlds still looked the same after however many thousands of years apart, much less in a galaxy where some some intangible, magical will apparently manipulates lifeforms as a hobby. "ZOMG a slightly brown imperial in a video game!" Alert the presses.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
In the original Star Wars we never see a Storm Trooper take off their helmets. Disney could decree that the Empire was running a vast colonial army led by white British officers and it would actually not contradict A New Hope.

In the newest Star Wars movies, didn't they mention that the New Order or whatever they are called was abducting children to make as soldiers? A token black imperial officer would actually make sense since slave soldiers often became powerful within societies that created such institutions. It would actually make an interesting back story for an evil character. "LaToya was so evil she was the only black they let run a Star Destroyer".
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Meanwhile people of whiteness aren't allowed to play anyone else in a cartoon.

Still funny that its only the Indians who got butthurt over a cartoon in which every single character is a mildly offensive stereotype.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I could see Indianapolis getting fed up with Apu references after 30 years. That said I don't know how anyone intends to fix the situation without going all the way in the wrong direction. Can't have any Indians unless they are ubermensch now to make up for Apu? Yuck. How about you get rid of Dr. Hebert because he is offensive to black doctors?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Does Apu reference the capital of Indiana a lot?

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-05-06 16:03:05)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I could see Indianapolis getting fed up with Apu references after 30 years. That said I don't know how anyone intends to fix the situation without going all the way in the wrong direction. Can't have any Indians unless they are ubermensch now to make up for Apu? Yuck. How about you get rid of Dr. Hebert because he is offensive to black doctors?
All the white anglo-saxon characters are lazy and stupid - they need to go.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

RTHKI wrote:

Does Apu reference the capital of Indiana a lot?
Not Apu or Indianapolis, but...
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S17E17/392183.jpg?b64lines=IFlvdSBpZ25vcmFudCBBbWVyaWNhbiwKIHlvdSBoYXZlIGNvbmZ1c2VkIEluZGlhCiB3aXRoIEluZGlhbmEsIEluZGlhbmEKIHdpdGggSWxsaW5vaXMsIGFuZCB0aGUKIEN1YnMgd2l0aCB0aGUgRG9kZ2Vycy4=
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Are there actually any whites in Simpsons? They're all yellow or brown.

I can't believe that a cartoon from the 1990s is still relevant enough to be a point of consternation among disgruntled whites who never gave Apu a second thought until the Apu drama.

A white person voicing a non-white person should be fine, but within the constraints of a TV show known for pushing stereotypes it DOES get a little problematic by today's standards. Have any of you ever been around white people who imitate black American dialect in exaggerated, denigrating humor? Deeply uncomfortable stuff.

Cast members made like 400 grand an episode at the height of the pay raises. Pity them not.

e: hank azaria's net worth is 80 million
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
lenny = white = yellow
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Grimey is forever the best Simpsons character

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard