Larssen
+99|1858
It's a wild guesstimate. The first place where it spread having been a wet market, my wholly amateur judgment tells me food is the most likely source. It's the most simple, obvious answer. If it were a lab you'd expect that its employees wouldve been the first victims.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Health writers with their heads more or less screwed on straight have emphasized that we still don't know enough to fully reconstruct the pathogen's journey to pandemic. We should probably take with a grain of salt, researchers who pop out of the woodwork with their own versions of "how things definitely happened."

"I don't know" is probably the more scientific of the "it happened at the food market" or "it was made in a lab" answers people front when pressured to say something.

This pressure for news and politicians to come up with an answer, any answer, probably hasn't done much good (violence against Asian-Americans on the upswing).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

I think the changing political climate in the US is more responsible for these articles being published now than any scientific progress that has been made over the last year.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm not saying that was fully the case, ken, but certainly meme pieces about bat soup, politicians calling it "The China Virus," and a combination of things along those lines are a significant contributor. This has been commented on here at around the same time last year.

Reinforcing biases can probably have an impact on a political climate, no?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
In the posted article it mentions that the most closely related virus to COVID they found was in a cave hundreds of miles from Wuhan while bats aren't long travelers. The fact that there was a major virology center in Wuhan that collected bat viruses is also a major red flag. I will reiterate that I don't buy "Chinese bioweapon" or the idea that they intentionally released it.

I agree with Ken when he said that people are starting to come around to the idea that China had a bigger role in this than they acknowledge due to changed political circumstances in the U.S. It might have been somewhat unfair to Trump for the media to completely sidestep the issue of the virus origins but then again the guy is a monster who wanted to lay all of the blame for his failures on China. Also, even if China accidently let the virus escape from a lab, what we should do about it is a question no one has a good answer to. Americans come together to make the sacrifices in order to cut China off from our economy and the economy of our allies? That'll be the day.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
China deserves a lot of blame, for the lies and cover up at the start.
Just for that I suspect they knew where it came from.

Also
An apparent surge in traffic outside Wuhan hospitals from August 2019 may suggest the coronavirus hit the area earlier than reported, a study says.

Harvard researchers say satellite images show an increase in traffic outside five hospitals in the Chinese city from late August to December.

The traffic spike coincided with a rise in online searches for information on symptoms like "cough" and "diarrhoea".

China said the study was "ridiculous" and based on "superficial" information.

It is believed that the virus first appeared in China some time in November. Authorities reported a cluster of pneumonia cases with an unknown cause to the World Health Organization (WHO) on 31 December 2019.

"Clearly, there was some level of social disruption taking place well before what was previously identified as the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic," Dr John Brownstein, who led the research, told ABC news.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52975934
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
that is based on superficial information. do you know how many new local strains of flu or cold there are every year? even news-making and controversial ones like swine/avian flu? it could have been literally anything.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

that is based on superficial information. do you know how many new local strains of flu or cold there are every year? even news-making and controversial ones like swine/avian flu? it could have been literally anything.
Yeah could have been anything but there is still the clear issue that independent review or investigation is like non-existent in China.
uziq
+492|3423
of course, but let's not muddy the waters and confuse the issue. literally every country in the world suffers from local disease outbreaks, epidemics, and seasonal illness. 'wow lots of people were ill in china in 2019' is not probable cause.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
'Lots of people were suddenly going to hospital in Wuhan' was the point.

No doubt all the evidence has been destroyed and any witnesses silenced so we'll never no.

Whatever happened the world has woken up to China's mendacity, maybe in the long run this will be a good thing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Meanwhile in Australia:

The AZ vaccine is looking flaky, the vaccine rollout plan has been torn up, fuck knows whats happening now.
I'd prefer not to have the AZ vaccine if possible.

Still everyone is desperate to get back to international travel and a talking up travel bubbles and free travel for people who have been vaccinated.
This will deliver a roaring trade in fake vaccine certificates, and deliver vaccine resistant strains.
I'd still like to know how everyone coming in is supposed to have had a negative test yet they're still landing bat-flu positive. No doubt there's already a trade in fake test certificates.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

No doubt all the evidence has been destroyed and any witnesses silenced so we'll never no.

Whatever happened the world has woken up to China's mendacity, maybe in the long run this will be a good thing.
lots of people go to hospital in cities all the time. there are flu outbreaks concentrated in UK cities too, you know. oMg biological weapons leak from porton down!
uziq
+492|3423
The AZ vaccine is looking flaky
lmao careful you actually read some scientific results every once in a while. jesus fucking christ, mr. resident scientist who exists in a tabloid newspaper comment section.

I'd still like to know how everyone coming in is supposed to have had a negative test yet they're still landing bat-flu positive. No doubt there's already a trade in fake test certificates.
because covid has an introductory latency period before it is even detected in tests? hence the entire need for quarantine?

because airports and public travel terminals are hotspots? because airplanes are confined spaces? because many people have layovers in virus hotspots like dubai? because a person can easily go out in public and contract covid during the 72 hours or whatever between negative test and flight departure?

use your fucking head for once in a while, christ. 'fake test certificates'. airlines require genuine certificates with a doctor's signature. they require a lab registration number. many governments only accept tests from a shortlist of approved suppliers.

Last edited by uziq (2021-04-15 07:24:48)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Shot #1 today.
Pfizer.
Will keep everyone updated.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yeah I heard it announced that it was pretty much open season on getting the shots in WA now? I never even got a text from that dumb scheduler of theirs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

lots of people go to hospital in cities all the time. there are flu outbreaks concentrated in UK cities too, you know. oMg biological weapons leak from porton down!
There was a sudden spike, are there many flu spikes in the middle of summer?

A sudden unexplained spike in exotic illness near Porton Down would also be newsworthy.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yeah I heard it announced that it was pretty much open season on getting the shots in WA now? I never even got a text from that dumb scheduler of theirs.
My doctor called me and told me to come in. But yeah I think you can pretty much google it now and find anything that's close.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'll probably go get the jab at some point this week. I've also read though that they hadn't finished rolling it out to people who needed it more, so that sucks.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Jersey City public schools are going virtual for the rest of the year. The district tried to send everyone back without accomodations so the union said 'take a sick day if you don't feel safe'. Too many people called in sick and they didn't have the staff to cover all of them so the district is saying they are staying virtual for the rest of the year.

Jersey City is the second largest city in the state with 271,000 people. This is a big deal for all of the little districts around them.

This afternoon at around 12:52 p.m., Superintendent of Schools Franklin Walker sent out an email indicating that all staff would have to report tomorrow, without exceptions.

“As shared previously, all employees are expected to return to work in person tomorrow, April 15h, 2021, including those that requested accommodations. Accommodations will be reviewed and approved by the building administration based on the District’s obligation to educate students,” Walker wrote.
I am not sure what they expected to happen.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Didn't find this one on my own, but some of the anecdotes in here are Nuts.

Doctors of Reddit: What happened when you diagnosed a Covid-19 denier with Covid-19?
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comm … urce=share
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe if the stupid die out we'll have a Dilbertocracy instead of an Idiocracy

Meanwhile in Australia

National Cabinet has agreed to temporarily reduce the number of incoming flights from India by 30 per cent after a spike in the number of returned travellers testing positive to COVID-19.

The move comes after the Australian Medical Association's NT Branch said the group of leaders should consider the move after an increase in cases at the Howard Springs quarantine facility.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the decrease would apply to both the government-organised repatriation flights and commercial flights into Sydney.

"We will also be limiting the departure exceptions for Australians travelling to high-risk countries," he said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-22/ … /100088608
Larssen
+99|1858

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbertocracy instead of an Idiocracy
same shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Continuing a saga in florida:

Florida Men Indicted for Selling Bleach as 'Miracle' COVID-19 Cure
https://www.newsweek.com/florida-men-in … re-1586153

A 62-year-old Florida man and his three adult sons have been indicted for allegedly selling and marketing bleach as a "miracle" cure for COVID-19 and other ailments.

Mark Grenon was indicted by a federal grand jury in Miami on Friday, alongside his sons Jonathan Grenon, 34, Joseph Grenon, 32, and Jordan Grenon, 26, according to a news release from the Department of Justice. The men claimed that their "Miracle Mineral Solution" (MMS), which contains harmful industrial bleach, was a cure for COVID-19, cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes and other serious illnesses.

The Grenons sold the bleach for many years before the emergence of COVID-19, operating as the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing, a self-described "non-religious church." Court documents allege that the Grenons made over $1 million selling the fraudulent cure through the so-called church, which Mark Grenon admitted had been "nothing to do with religion" and had been formed in an attempt to "legalize the use of MMS."

NEWSWEEK NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP >
In 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning against using MMS, noting that consuming the "dangerous" substance was the same as "drinking bleach" and that there was no evidence that it was effective in treating any illness. The FDA said that for those who used the solution, there were reports of liver failure, severe vomiting, severe diarrhea and life-threatening low blood pressure.

Friday's indictment happened on the one-year anniversary of former President Donald Trump suggesting that injecting "disinfectant" could be useful as a treatment for COVID-19 during a coronavirus task force briefing at the White House. After receiving widespread backlash for his comments, Trump later claimed that they were made "sarcastically."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Once again frigging Indians have fucked up Australia.

West Australian premier Mark McGowan has lashed out at the Commonwealth over an outbreak of COVID-19 in his state linked to transmission from quarantining travellers from India.

With metropolitan Perth and the neighbouring Peel region in a three-day lockdown, Mr McGowan blamed the federal government on Saturday for allowing Australians to travel too easily to India and other high-risk countries, and back.

“It’s just nuts,” he said.
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w … -c-2679076
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That sounds like an Australia problem to me. Over a year and you haven't figured out quarantines.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard