unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

'Extremely traumatising:' Student's warning after energy drink habit led to heart failure
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/ex … r-BB1fLd9v

A student in the UK who drank four 500ml energy drinks a day developed heart failure, a report by the British Medical Journal says.

The 21-year-old spent 58 days in hospital, including time in intensive care due to his two-year habit.

In the report the student called for energy drinks to be treated like cigarettes and have health warnings on them.

Before he was admitted to hospital, he suffered from shortness of breath and weight loss for four months.

He also developed severe biventricular heart failure and severe renal failure.

The student had no past medical history, was an ex-smoker and did not take illegal drugs. 

"We report a case of severe biventricular heart failure potentially related to excessive energy drink consumption in a 21-year-old man," the report says.

"Energy drink consumption, specifically consuming an average of four 500 mL cans per day for approximately 2 years.

"Each can contains 160 mg of caffeine in addition to taurine and various other ingredients. Retrospectively, the patient recalls occasional symptoms of dyspepsia, tremor and a racing heartbeat but without seeking medical review. In the 3 months prior to admission he was unable to continue his university studies due to his lethargy and feelings of ill health."

The report says energy-drink induced cardiotoxicity was the most likely cause for the heart failure.

"This case report adds to the growing concern in the literature about the potential cardiotoxic effects of energy drinks," it writes.

The patient contributed to the report in order to raise awareness of the dangers of drinking too many energy drinks.

"I think there should be more awareness about energy drinks and the effect of their contents.

"I believe they are very addictive and far too accessible to young children. I think warning labels, similar to smoking, should be made to illustrate the potential dangers of the ingredients in energy drinks," he says in the report.

He described the 58 days in hospital as "extremely traumatising". He suffered from delirium and memory problems.

"I was constantly scared because I was struggling to move or speak, this eventually led to insomnia; I often would not fall asleep until early morning.

"Finally, I often became frustrated when I couldn't think of the words to say when I wanted something and this often led to me becoming overwhelmed with emotions such as anxiety and depression."
I don't know how you could drink a half a gallon of the stuff a day without feeling the effects sooner. One day of that would probably wire me for several and make me regret everything.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I've never used energy drinks, but arbitrarily have limited myself to 1 canned beverage in a day just because it felt right. I had a daily visit to Dr. Pepper in college that I've since weaned to only be a weekend treat, but if you're opening 4 cans in a day, it seems like something isn't right in your life. I take the same approach to people drinking a sixpack of beers in one day. It just sounds like there's better ways to reach your goal.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Pops would wreck my fitness efforts, and sometimes water is just too bland. I compromise with green teas.

I may grab a singular energy drink for a long drive.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
I have about one canned beverage a month, maybe two or three months.

I've seen people at the recyclers with complete ute trays full, people of Walmart with trolleys full.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I know a few guzzlers. Cans and bottles will just accumulate around them and they'll act surprised later. It's like a background activity in their brain.

Soda can be refreshing I guess but it doesn't do much to actually quench my thirst. Probably not what plants crave. Pizza night, definitely some coke or pepsi. A bit of ice and water added and it actually tastes better to me.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You mean rum.

Nerds get excited over the strangest things

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I assume the cool thing about it is that there exist enough atmosphere on Mars to sustain rotary flight?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well the cool thing is they achieved it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
UFOs are being talked about again in the U.S. I read some debunking of the newest ones that basically boil down to sensors and instruments creating optical illusions or malfunctioning.

I am not a believer in aliens visiting Earth. One thing about UFOs I do find interesting/weird is that people default to 'curious aliens' instead of other just as plausible wacky possibilities. Like angels 😇. Maybe UFOs are angels. Why is that an crazier than saying aliens.

Also, no one ever answered this important question.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

How far do I have to dig in my backyard until I hit bedrock? What would the bedrock look like?
This is important.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Where are you exactly?
uziq
+492|3423
there were more UFO sightings in the peak-1990s mania than there ever are today, when everyone has a 4k camera in their pocket.

there's better footage of 9/11, in the pre-smartphone era, of people with VHS cameras in the street on a given day, than of any UFO.

bit of a no-brainer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Most likely aliens were visiting in the 50s and 60s and gave up on us, no reason to come back since.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I like to think that if any E.T. UFOs are buzzing around in our atmosphere, they're basically piloted by a bunch of edgy alien teenagers violating space law like some of our morons do when decide they're going to go chill with the Sentinelese.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most likely aliens were visiting in the 50s and 60s and gave up on us, no reason to come back since.
yeah i agree, 'most likely' that aliens were visiting at the same time as jet propulsion, missile technology and the space race was really taking off. really make you think. all those unidentified objects and new technologies must surely have been aliens.

even if aliens came from the nearest solar system and travelled at 13,000 mph to get here. it would take them thousands of years to arrive. but, yeah, they turned up in the 1950s and 1960s. neat coincidink.

just think, if they hadn't stopped for space drive-thru near alpha centauri, they would have turned up in time to see the jews take possession of their rightful lands. maybe the burning bush was a crashed saucer?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Flying here at sub-light speeds through real space seems like a waste of time. Sci-fi is full of alternate travel. I would much rather fold space than have to go into cryo for 20,000 years.

I remember posts in the aughts from people saying we'd be medically immortal in 50 years, so could just sit on our butts and wait to get to the next star. Very optimistic, but I'd hope the colony ship would have some reading material.
uziq
+492|3423
amazing that aliens have figured out how to fold the matter of the universe and travel along its super-symmetrical creases or whatever the fuck and yet they still can't set their onboard GPS location to a place on earth with activity or something to see. always turning up in the high desert or over the pacific. what, are they burning their nuclear fuel to travel lightyears to visit whales? they can find a tiny pale blue dot in the vast emptiness of the solar system but they can't find city lights or signs of electrical activity?

i'll be interested when 100s of witnesses film a UFO over an actually populated area with a camera that isn't a potato connected to an aperture.

Last edited by uziq (2021-05-23 00:40:48)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Probably more interesting to visit whales tbh
uziq
+492|3423
we've had numerous incidents of people filming rocket boosters burning up in the upper atmosphere, or people sighting elon musk's satellite network or the space station or whatever. amateur astronomers, plane spotters, star gazers, or just random people with a smartphone seeing something neat in the sky at night.

we've filmed meteorites hitting the earth using modest car dashcams in fucking sub-arctic russia ffs. corroborated and linked with multiple CCTV, eyewitness and satellite data. the rarest instances of things turning up from the outer solar system, even in relatively sparsely populated areas like russia. we've captured it.

but we're meant to believe aliens keep dropping by, out of sight, with not a single samsung galaxy or apple iphone nearby. O K. i guess they really did come in the 1960s but haven't liked the music since or whatever. maybe when the next beatles revival is being broadcast over our airwaves, they'll come tap-tapping along.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Nuclear bombs going off probably brought them the first time.

After they probed a bunch of people and lost a saucer at Roswell they probably decided it wasn't worth it.
uziq
+492|3423
yes i’m sure a very small scale nuclear detonation in the early 1950s really stood out against the noise and radiation of inter-stellar space. it’s not like every solar system doesn’t have, er, objects in it which are many orders of magnitude more radioactive and explosive. called ... suns.

dilbert: religions and ideas of god are stupid.
also dilbert: there are aliens watching over our every progress like benevolent guardians.

Last edited by uziq (2021-05-23 00:49:18)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't think anyone really gives a shit about the Beatles, they weren't that good.
uziq
+492|3423
i don’t like the beatles. i’m lol’ing at your notion that the 1950s were auspicious not just for western societies but on the scale of the milky way.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
First nuclear detonations were in the 40s, first h-bomb in the 50s, learn to history.
uziq
+492|3423
there are single atmospheric phenomena on jupiter that are many times bigger than the earth. huge storms generating immense amounts of electrical activity.

but a bomb being set off in the pacific brought an alien race across the light years.

lmao ffs
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

amazing that aliens have figured out how to fold the matter of the universe and travel along its super-symmetrical creases or whatever the fuck and yet they still can't set their onboard GPS location to a place on earth with activity or something to see. always turning up in the high desert or over the pacific. what, are they burning their nuclear fuel to travel lightyears to visit whales? they can find a tiny pale blue dot in the vast emptiness of the solar system but they can't find city lights or signs of electrical activity?

i'll be interested when 100s of witnesses film a UFO over an actually populated area with a camera that isn't a potato connected to an aperture.
Who are we to judge what aliens find amusing. Maybe they just do all that just to fuel hilarious earthling movies. Independence Day might be a cult classic in the Andromeda Galaxy for all we know.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard