Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Should probably just give everyone a year's break, let them read ahead.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
It's all over Facebook that a teen at a local high school died from COVID. 'KiDs ArE sAfE fRoM cOvId"

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2021-02-25 06:12:34)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
948 deaths from pneumonia, covid, or the flu. Yea I'm not concerned about the kids
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Why do you hate children?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
https://frinkiac.com/meme/S07E23/362177.jpg?b64lines=IE9oLCB3b24ndCBzb21lYm9keSBwbGVhc2UKIHRoaW5rIG9mIHRoZSBjaGlsZHJlbj8g
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That's fine and all but why do we have to throw a "handful" of kids under the bus just to brag about getting butts back in seats before the end of the 20/21 school year? Before the vaccines have finished rolling out?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't know, people are stupid?
uziq
+492|3423
dilbert you are high-grade unintelligent in many, many areas.
uziq
+492|3423
4 out of 5 doses of the AZ vaccine remain unused in the EU. it’s a publicity disaster on their government’s behalf.

macron called a vaccine ‘quasi-ineffective’ because there’s a lack of data. a lack of ample data from early trials != proof of ineffectivity. france is one of the most vaccine-skeptical countries in the western world and its politicians are sowing further fucking nonsense.

this is macron who hyped up early ‘miracle cures’ when a french lab posted results from an atrociously designed study, by the way. remember that episode? macron zooming off with haste to the lab where the study was undertaken to be seen shaking hands with scientists and looking terribly interested.

and all that trouble with the ireland border and serious diplomatic rows over their vaccine supply. now 80% of them aren’t even being used.

meanwhile all of the data suggests, just as the scientific principle and regulator’s view had it, that the vaccine is just as effective in seniors. the mechanism works across age groups. 80% reduction in hospital admissions so far across the old and vulnerable age groups.

what a colossal fuckup by the ‘technocratic’ visionaries in europe. now they’re all going to have to roll up their sleeves on live tv to win back their own populations to take a plentiful, cheap and effective vaccine.

Last edited by uziq (2021-03-01 13:57:30)

Larssen
+99|1858
The guideline from the robert koch institute to not vaccinate over 65s was much more influential here. Add on top of that the political row with Astrazeneca. People just don't trust the producer.

The fact that the rk institute opted against the vaccine was because of insufficient data. It's just scientific prudence. The effect this had on the general public was very negative though.
uziq
+492|3423
'not trusting a producer' when a vaccine has been approved by the UK and EU regulatory authorities, by all accounts two of the most respected and august regulatory bodies anywhere in the world.

sure makes a lot of sense turning your nose up at a life-saving vaccine because 'brexit' and 'belgium factory had a poo-poo'.

scientific prudence i can see the merit of – although the calculus here still involves 1000s of avoidable deaths – but spinning it into political headlines and having state leaders say things like 'quasi-ineffective' is a complete and utter disaster. no less risible than trump recommending that people inject bleach. totally scientifically illiterate nonsense and a harm to public health.
uziq
+492|3423
France eases ban on AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s

People in France aged over 65 with existing health problems can be given the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, the health minister said on Monday, departing from Paris’s earlier stance that the vaccine should be for under-65s only.

When the AstraZeneca vaccine was approved for use by European Union regulators, France mandated it would only go to eligible people under 65 because data from trials in older age groups was limited.

The French president Emmanuel Macron was quoted as telling journalists the AstraZeneca vaccine was “quasi-effective” for over-65s. That position contrasted with the UK, which was first to roll out the AstraZeneca vaccine and approved it for use in all age categories.

Since that decision, more data from trials has shown the efficacy of the vaccine, while France has also struggled with a shortage of vaccines from its other suppliers, Pfizer and Moderna.

Speaking to broadcaster BFMTV, the health minister Olivier Veran said:

Anybody aged 50 or over who is affected by co-morbidities can get the AstraZeneca vaccine, including those between 65 and 74.

good luck with that.

COVID-19 infections are increasing in France, with 21,549 new infections reported on average each day. That’s 40% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on November 7.

France has administered at least 4,550,370 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 3.4% of the country’s population.
:x

Last edited by uziq (2021-03-01 15:32:35)

Larssen
+99|1858
I mean it's not the fault of the RK institute that all media in Europe headlined "Germany: Astrazeneca vaccine not to be used on over 65s over concerns about effectiveness". From that point on it started to live a life on its own. That also came after the huge public spat with Astrazeneca, where the company came across as incredibly untrustworthy. Headline after headline about missed targets or the CEO pulling out of a meeting with the EU council last minute to only announce he decided to turn up anyway some 30 mins later.

Reputation is incredibly important. Consumer trust was damaged at that point and it's hard to repair. Especially if a few months later all media underline the doubts over the effectiveness of the vaccine and keep pointing to the low reported protection compared to the biontech or moderna shot. Neither of which suffered PR disasters or have massively missed targets by the way (in fact they're delivering extra ahead of schedule).

Lastly, defending Astrazeneca after the delivery disaster would not have been a wise move politically, with various possible ramifications beyond impact on the person heading the country (less trust in covid policy as a whole, for one).

Now I'll be the first to say that it's quite ridiculous every nation still absolutely insists on their own national checks mechanism with something like the EMA in place. As we can see the resulting national policies have cross border effects and are cause for confusion across the EU.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-03-01 15:38:20)

uziq
+492|3423
how can you blame AZ for ‘destroying consumer trust’? the blame lies solely with the politicians who quickly panicked and turned it into a vituperative political affair.

modern vaccines have highly complex manufacturing processes. they’re not producing widgets or staples. wouldn’t it have been better to explain to the populace that vaccine manufacturing can encounter temporary setbacks and patience is the order of the day?

no i agree, much better to blame evil britain and describe the vaccine as ineffective anyway.

also you have an extremely shaky memory of the same early-stage rollout of pfizer and moderna’s vaccines. pfizer cut off a bunch of its international rollouts to similarly ‘deal with production issues’ (i.e. vaccinating all of israel).

the point being that multiple vaccines have encountered issues or delays which could have been politically managed or spun any number of ways. but for some reason the EU states began queuing up, one after the other, to declare they were turning their back on the AZ vaccine over a number of days. you can’t tell me they all had RK institutes of their own doing highly independent appraisals and research, timely delivering their reports in the same week. it was as much political theatre as anything else. do not fucking bullshit.

like most things in the EU with its 'highly independent member states', france and germany say something and the rest follow.

Last edited by uziq (2021-03-01 15:57:09)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Guys this is like watching hillbillies wrestling each other to win a pig, since Britain and France are in the top five of worst China-Flu responses in the world.

Its hilarious to me that the two snootiest intelligentsia in the world have utterly failed to deal with a simple pandemic when we've had the knowledge since the 14th century in the western world and a good deal longer outside that.

Maybe the French are suspicious as they have a long history of dumping shoddy rubbish on the rest of the world, flammable cladding and Renaults for two.

Meanwhile are the Chinese anal-probing diplomats because they need to or want to?
Larssen
+99|1858

uziq wrote:

how can you blame AZ for ‘destroying consumer trust’? the blame lies solely with the politicians who quickly panicked and turned it into a vituperative political affair.

modern vaccines have highly complex manufacturing processes. they’re not producing widgets or staples. wouldn’t it have been better to explain to the populace that vaccine manufacturing can encounter temporary setbacks and patience is the order of the day?

no i agree, much better to blame evil britain and describe the vaccine as ineffective anyway.

also you have an extremely shaky memory of the same early-stage rollout of pfizer and moderna’s vaccines. pfizer cut off a bunch of its international rollouts to similarly ‘deal with production issues’ (i.e. vaccinating all of israel).

the point being that multiple vaccines have encountered issues or delays which could have been politically managed or spun any number of ways. but for some reason the EU states began queuing up, one after the other, to declare they were turning their back on the AZ vaccine over a number of days. you can’t tell me they all had RK institutes of their own doing highly independent appraisals and research, timely delivering their reports in the same week. it was as much political theatre as anything else. do not fucking bullshit.

like most things in the EU with its 'highly independent member states', france and germany say something and the rest follow.
There is no production chain in the world where it's acceptable to deliver less than 30% of the promised doses (numbering in the millions) with an entire quarter of delay. That isn't simply a hickup because manufacturing is so complicated, that's a business that grossly overpromised to or even misled their customer. This particular vaccine is also based on existing tech and methods in contrast to the mRNA ones that would require a wholly new production process. So no, I don't buy your excuses here.

Nowhere did I blame Britain but you seem to be taking the Astrazeneca spat very personally. I suppose the French aren't the only ones caught in vaccine nationalism.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So anyway, why didn't europe, France etc go full retard on Pfizer when they under-delivered to Europe but mysteriously over-delivered to Israel?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal … SKBN29Q2BX

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl … -successes

I mean, if they wanted the Pfizer vaccine but didn't want the AZ one you'd think they'd go nuts over this.

It will forever be a mystery.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
US and UK peaks seem to be two weeks after Christmas.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Our 7 day average is slightly lower than it was during the 2nd peak in the summer. Nowhere close to being on the backend of the pandemic yet.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Third peak is just around the corner
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
4th?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
lil_droo
+19|1466

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Our 7 day average is slightly lower than it was during the 2nd peak in the summer. Nowhere close to being on the backend of the pandemic yet.
Eh it's pretty much done with. U might see little spikes here and there but nothing crazy. In LA for example almost half the population already had it and now without a lot of ppl getting vaccinated it will only get better.
gang shit
uziq
+492|3423
there is no way half of LA have had covid. there is no city on earth where half the people have already had covid.

jay was saying this 9 months ago after the first wave of new york's endemic. plenty of people have died since then.

widespread antigen testing in cities like madrid, turin, london, etc, after their 'first waves' showed that 5-15% of people had it in those first waves.

covid won't be done with until 2022, in the best-case scenario. there's still countries like brazil who aren't even close to containing it. when a virus can spread freely around a huge and diverse population, it's like an open-air laboratory for breeding highly successful new variants and mutations.
BVC
+325|6666
So, we got a lockdown after some schmuck decided to go to the gym instead of self-isolating.

*shrug* Rather this than being complacent with war-level casualty rates.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The blind spot for the number of people who have been killed by this thing is ludicrous. But some of the criticisms of shoddily-implemented lockdown measures do seem valid. Store (A) selling Product (Y) gets to stay open, Store (B) selling Product (Y) has to close. Also piddling support for people hurting financially from this. I wonder why people are upset …

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard