Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Not sure how we got from Aluminium panels to Israel but anyway.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
why haven’t you posted about the tragedy and travesty of grenfell before now? it’s one of the most shameful stories in recent british memory.

why does it need a euro angle?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It already has a euro angel?

If the the British govt had voted to use bulldozers to push people into Grenfell, then positioned snipers to prevent them getting out and dropped JDAMs on it then your comparison with Israel and the Palestinians might be apt.

Its an example of a very long chain of responsibility in which every link of the chain has failed, the first being the honesty of the French company which developed, tested and supplied the parts.
Long chains with shared accountability seem like a great idea but often they aren't. Individuals assume someone else will pick up a problem so they can slack off. I've seen many things where all the paperwork is in place, its been audited repeatedly and its still garbage. Scratch at any part and it turns out to be tissue.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Meanwhile in mac's corner of the country:

Maryland middle school teacher’s aide will not face charges after being seen masturbating during Zoom lesson
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl … 07998.html

A teacher’s aide in Maryland will not face charges after he was filmed masturbating during a Zoom call with a class of eighth graders.

Marc Schack, an assistant for special education students at Shady Grove Middle School in Gaithersburg, Maryland, was placed on administrative leave on Monday after the footage that was filmed at the end of a history lesson was shared online.

The 13-second clip allegedly showed Mr Schack looking at the screen, before standing up, turning away from his laptop and beginning to masturbate.

Mr Schack’s name was on the screen as the host of the Zoom call, but seconds after he stood up, another name appeared replacing him as the moderator.

The teacher’s aide told Fox 5 that he was unaware of the video when he was placed on administrative leave, as he claimed he was informed that the school had “misplaced his background check file.”

Mr Schack added that he only discovered the reason for the action when he was contacted by reporters on Wednesday.

The teacher’s aide, who has worked for Montgomery County Public Schools for 21 years, also runs Pirate Magic, a business that throws “pirate parties” for children in the area.

continues
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I still follow Sammy the Bull's youtube channel and podcast. I am starting to feel repulsed by the whole thing like Dilbert does. There are a lot of cases of mobsters killing people over petty reasons. A guy's wife overdoses so he murders her friend who got her the drugs in front of the girl's boyfriend. A guy is jealous of his girlfriend talking about potentially going on a date with another guy so they shoot her after she shows up to hang out with them. A mobster murders some drug dealers and is afraid a door to door salesman is really an assassin so he chases him down and kill him. All sorts of sad stuff like this that wasn't in the Godfather.

What I find most perplexing is how people lived in these silly bubbles where you have to show deference to people who could barely read or are in and out of jail for petty crimes. I mean can you imagine throwing you life away on the orders of these fatties?
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/07/13/17/30717318-0-image-a-48_1594659421311.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Putting psychopathic peasant gangsters on a pedestal is one of the stupider things the west has done.
uziq
+492|3423
'the west' has hardly put mafia on a pedestal. it's a fucking hollywood movie genre and a topic of true crime books. people are always interested in crime, secret societies, the underworld: it's a timeless and perennial interest. any country that is properly 'moral' has this inverse fascination with transgression.

as with almost everything cultural, your analysis is insipid and shallow.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I have seen Italians in real life scream "my uncle/cousin/grandfather is in the mob and will get you" when upset.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3423
yes, gobby italians in new jersey are surely synonymous with 'the west'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Someone should make a three part feature film about their lives, their loves, their wins, their losses, their complex emotions.

https://www.featureshoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Jonathan_May_04.jpg
uziq
+492|3423
putting white supremacists on a pedestal is one of the stupidest things the west has ever done.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59caa9f03e00bea7158a12e4/5b4a4d211ae6cf6f42f5dd1a/5be769814d7a9c5e1ee8933b/1554668779311/amX-thumbnail+1.jpg?format=1500w
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Because there are so many films and tv series promoting white supremacism and so few pushing the message that brutal mobsters are ordinary guys trying to feed their family.
uziq
+492|3423
even the sopranos, the most domestic portrayal of the mob, makes clear that all of the main characters are sociopaths. i don’t see any unthinking celebrations of the mob in hollywood or television. let alone to say ‘the west’ has ‘put them on a pedestal’.

what the fuck are you going on about? i think the chance to be a cultural critic might have passed you by.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure the subtleties are lost on the average moron, all they see is tough guys having a great time.

Now after decades of fawning portrayals in film and TV we have a generation of wog kids aspiring to be sociopathic gangsters - monkey see monkey do.

Just like black kids want to be gangsta rappers.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-03-25 14:36:32)

uziq
+492|3423
it’s encouraging to know you still get your cultural commentary from the frogspawn top layer of tabloids.

i’m pretty sure portrayals of the gangster lifestyle in contemporary shows are a little more nuanced, complex, and provide more shades of negative than, say, 1980s action movies with their glorifications of violence and machismo and single-layer political allegories. why aren’t you concerned about your generation who were raised on rambo and arnie frag fests? omG the WeSt puts violence on le DaIs

Last edited by uziq (2021-03-25 17:00:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

To be fair, First Blood was at least a little nuanced by the standards of those movies. Damaged veteran looking like a hobo, mistreated by town, lashes out. I guess he was portrayed a little more heroic in the movie than in the novel, though, and the character got to live.

Apparently Stallone feared a bit for the impact to his career and decided to make Rambo more sympathetic.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

They drew first blood!

I actually am in the process of chewing through the Sopranos again. I can't fucking stand the broken Italian they speak. It triggers me actually. My extended Italian family eats it up though.  Buncha finooks
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i’m pretty sure portrayals of the gangster lifestyle in contemporary shows are a little more nuanced, complex, and provide more shades of negative than, say, 1980s action movies with their glorifications of violence and machismo and single-layer political allegories. why aren’t you concerned about your generation who were raised on rambo and arnie frag fests? omG the WeSt puts violence on le DaIs
Um because none of those films promote vicious criminality as a lifestyle choice?
Really they're just John Wayne films with better weapons.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

At least some of them promote police brutality, but there's always a bad guy at the end to "justify" the rest.

The Terminator also shot up a cop station. I don't know if it's possible to classify a robot as a criminal, but it would have definitely been criminal activity if committed by a human.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Um because none of those films promote vicious criminality as a lifestyle choice?
Really they're just John Wayne films with better weapons.
most mob movies have happy endings where the mobsters die or get thrown in jail. True crime films, especially those around drug cartels and such, tend to have this stream of clarity running through them where the characters acknowledge their destiny is either 6 feet under or in jail. Have you never seen one of these movies from beginning to end?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sure, now we have a generation which wants to live fast and die young and doesn't care who gets hurt along the way.

Good job chaps

https://dsosebee.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/6/2/28628611/4771674.gif
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Surely there can be no other (ahem-economic-ahem) reason for social unrest than rap albums.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I bet you think rock and roll is the devil's music too
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The hip gyrations of Elvis is the reason Vietnam declared war on us.

Realtalk though, some of the boomers and gen x who can't stand the "nastiness" of rap listen to some pretty dark music themselves.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't know, is there much in rock and roll or Elvis about killing and robbing people?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard