unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I like that I have a lot of options in English. To my EFL bias, I enjoy being able to make slight changes to a sentence for subtle effect or to suit context. Saying the exact same thing but the slightest change can completely alter the overtones.

I've been skating on the barest surface of polyglotism for years, and am stunned at how basic some of the basics of other languages can be (if that makes any sense). Like, I didn't think they wouldn't be since kids have to learn them, just that I would have had a harder time picking it up.

As a kid, Hebrew and Hangul were enormously easy to get the alphabets down for, though I'm sadly out of practice. People are always calling Hiragana easy, though haven't tried (apparently there's a game for it on Steam). More recently, Cyrillic was an easy study, though I had a Russian friend on Steam helping me out on stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to get that back.

I was looking at the French language for like two weeks but never really followed through. Same with German. In face-to-face landlocked America, you pretty much have to go out of your way to find something that isn't English or Spanish. I think retention requires more than passing interest and the rush you get from native speakers gratified of your bumbling attempts.

To this date, I have never been mocked for a non-English error.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
The news says it has been 17 years and is time to be invaded by billions of cicadas.

Hopefully we've killed nature enough to slow them down
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You are probably going to drive into a bunch
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Hold a frying pan out your window as you drive, then form whatever bug goo is stuck on the pan into a patty and fry it in some oil.
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I like that I have a lot of options in English. To my EFL bias, I enjoy being able to make slight changes to a sentence for subtle effect or to suit context. Saying the exact same thing but the slightest change can completely alter the overtones.

I've been skating on the barest surface of polyglotism for years, and am stunned at how basic some of the basics of other languages can be (if that makes any sense). Like, I didn't think they wouldn't be since kids have to learn them, just that I would have had a harder time picking it up.

As a kid, Hebrew and Hangul were enormously easy to get the alphabets down for, though I'm sadly out of practice. People are always calling Hiragana easy, though haven't tried (apparently there's a game for it on Steam). More recently, Cyrillic was an easy study, though I had a Russian friend on Steam helping me out on stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to get that back.

I was looking at the French language for like two weeks but never really followed through. Same with German. In face-to-face landlocked America, you pretty much have to go out of your way to find something that isn't English or Spanish. I think retention requires more than passing interest and the rush you get from native speakers gratified of your bumbling attempts.

To this date, I have never been mocked for a non-English error.
i mean, there’s a bit more to being polyglot than learning a few alphabets. that’s not even a beginning. by polyglot i mean comfortable thinking, living and working in several languages. not ‘i can do the russian a-b-c’. i can read and parse and compose in french with a bit of effort but i’m in no ways ‘fluent’ like a polyglot. 

never been mocked for a language error? visit paris.

Last edited by uziq (2021-02-24 15:36:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's kind of why I said I was on the barest surface. Mentioned awhile back that patching up my Spanish would qualify me as functionally bilingual, but I don't consider myself a speaker of any of the others mentioned at all. Of course alphabets and a couple words don't really count, there's nothing we disagree on there. Picking them up from time to time is just a hobby of mine and one I wouldn't mind expanding into something more usable.

In my experience, French online was very forgiving. A gaming buddy helped me out a bit there, and his circle was receptive. I've never been to France, faced with something like asking for two watermelons because I'm too embarrassed that I don't remember how to ask for one.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You haven't been past the rocky mountains. Visit NYC before you go to France. I will teach you to speak NY.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

If I'm going that far east, I might as well leave the country.

At this point we're probably lucky there are any New Yorkers left alive. It could have been a dead language.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

re: languages

Funny thing Youtube recommendations, totally unprovoked:

uziq
+492|3422
seems like the definition of dumb clickbait. look at david blaine over here with the fucking chop-suey.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Of course it's clickbait. The video is a part of the youtube recommendations rabbit hole. There's an art to it. It's just that it's barely like a day since I was talking about languages here and all of a sudden youtube is throwing this stuff at me. Hilarious, and still spooky in 2021.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Funny thing Youtube recommendations, totally unprovoked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njn6krU3tQ8
That reminds me of a time I was at a dive bar with my sister. There was some ginger talking fluent Spanish to some Hispanic guy who might have a day laborer. The ginger even had the whole "speaking with hands" thing down. We asked him where he learned such good Spanish and he said he lived in the Dominican Republic for a while. He was like Uzique but not a weeb.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Of course it's clickbait. The video is a part of the youtube recommendations rabbit hole. There's an art to it. It's just that it's barely like a day since I was talking about languages here and all of a sudden youtube is throwing this stuff at me. Hilarious, and still spooky in 2021.
I've seen that in the generic YT sidebar recs for months if not years (never clicked it so dunno when it was posted).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

That reminds me of a time I was at a dive bar with my sister. There was some ginger talking fluent Spanish to some Hispanic guy who might have a day laborer. The ginger even had the whole "speaking with hands" thing down. We asked him where he learned such good Spanish and he said he lived in the Dominican Republic for a while. He was like Uzique but not a weeb.
Uzique could swallow his pride and make a youtube video that gets like 5 million views easy. People apparently eat up those "white man goes to asian country/restaurant" videos all the time. He cold order beef bulgolgi in passable Korean and the camera would zoom in on the reactions of other patrons. Easy material.

Or the algorithm could be fickle and nobody would see it.

DesertFox- wrote:

I've seen that in the generic YT sidebar recs for months if not years (never clicked it so dunno when it was posted).
It's from last June, though sometimes I get stuff in my sidebar from like 2008.

Other videos like it have definitely appeared in my recommends for a long time.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Funny zthing Youtube recommendations, totally unprovoked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njn6krU3tQ8
aren’t weebs for japan? don’t you collect gundam dolls for little children?

i’ve literally never expressed any cringe fascination with asian culture or it’s products. you couldn’t even find me gushing about asian music in 180 pages of ‘what are you listening to’.

meanwhile you’re living in your parents’ crawl space in junkyard new jersey, a place you’ll never leave because you’re a health risk and a DSM-V exhibition ... putting together gundam dolls.

some self-awareness with your trolling, pls.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori
you feeling ok bro?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Huh. Today I Learned how to say "neckbeard" in Japanese.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm sure they have a fancy noun for 'spends hundreds of dollars on tacky boxes and nerd collectible cards' as well, but i'm not that well-versed in japanese.
lil_droo
+19|1465
So ruptured my spleen skiing last week. Tried to 720 off a jump i retardedly didn't scope out and realized mid air was not gonna clear it so not much of an option just kept my rotation hoping to at least land 7 and case. Well skis smash first and my body gets thrown hard on the knuckle. Felt like shit but actually skied a few more laps. Thought maybe a broken rib or bruised organ and didn't think much of it. Feeling worse me and my friend call it for the day and start driving home almost passing out twice on the way before I decide to go to the hospital. Wait for over an hr almost passing out again several times. Rushed in for surgery and also determined I lost around 4 pints of blood thru internal bleeding. Done for the season and now got an ugly ass scar on my body

Apparently now I gotta worry about getting sick and shit since the spleen handles some viruses I guess. Shit sucks, never had surgery or bad injuries before
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Geez man, that sucks. Take it easy for awhile.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Was a team of elite microsurgeons able to re-attach your balls?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

4 pints of blood is rather an awful lot, though survivable. I'd think there would be a transfusion involved at that stage. Hemoglobin levels couldn't have been good?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

FWP, listening to someone talk about their facebook drama like as if I can relate to facebook drama is actually kind of draining.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
This is my facebook drama

https://i.imgur.com/AYTvUrm.png
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lil_droo
+19|1465

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

4 pints of blood is rather an awful lot, though survivable. I'd think there would be a transfusion involved at that stage. Hemoglobin levels couldn't have been good?
Did and was in the hospital for 4 days, had a splenectomy. Also I can take showers now so that's nice. Feel a lot better, actually excited to start life as a cuck with no spleen
gang shit
lil_droo
+19|1465

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

FWP, listening to someone talk about their facebook drama like as if I can relate to facebook drama is actually kind of draining.
Legit same no one i know uses Facebook anymore except older people. It's funny how serious they take it too. A lot of them were the types that hated kids being on MySpace and thought technology was the devil lol
gang shit

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard