rancheros9%9% - 1
sandwich0%0% - 0
scrambled36%36% - 4
Total: 11
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

If different breeds of dog have different inherent behaviors, does the same apply to people?
No, to say that would be racist.

Obviously Alsations, poodles and Chihuahuas have the exact same physical and behavioural characteristics, if you disagree you're a eugenicist.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

It's not a bad question but it's a eugenics argument that has actually been made many times before. The variation and diversity among dogs isn't really comparable to people at all. Also, invariably, past attempts at selective breeding of humans never really produced the desired result. Some academic would have to explain or you might want to page uziq to reference an article or two, but the gist of it as I understand is we're entirely different species and the "rules" aren't the same. It's also a slippery slope that usually leads to wrong, pointless and needless racism.
Yes, a few generations of selective breeding can produce entirely different animals, thousands of generations of natural selection in different environments in different corners of the planet can only ever produce exactly the same result.
Larssen
+99|1857
It was to be expected you'd wade into this. Dilbert, if you'd actually want to, it would be incredibly easy to dig up the entire history of the eugenics movement through google scholar. There was a time when it was science fashion and popular. Then came a time when we thought about things more deeply and figured it was misguided.

Just like with for example geocentrism moving to heliocentrism to understanding we're not really the center of the universe.

It's mind boggling how your engineer brain can casually and certainly accept these latter findings but somehow it's literally impossible for you to move beyond your biases in other sciences or fields. You're like the flat earther in a room full of astronomers.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-02-25 14:08:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, societies all over the world over thousands of years separately and independently developed the metric system.

Either evolution is a thing or it isn't - apparently you're the the one in the discussion who believes god did it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

All dog breeds belong to the same species. All human "races" are the same species. They are not segmented along the same lines. Two Africans may be more genetically different than one of the Africans and a European. Two Europeans may also be genetically different, but belong to the same race. Race is a social construct, but breeds are not. Humans have not really experienced the wide level of artificial selection that dogs have. The two are not comparable, and for reasons that have nothing to do with PC culture.

Even if we were to start a worldwide program to measure stuff like intelligence based on (unscientific) race, the intelligence measurements would in their own terms be unscientific due to their inherent cultural bias. Any differentiation in the results wouldn't teach us anything, and would serve to reinforce bias.

How about them eggs, though?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

All dog breeds belong to the same species. All human "races" are the same species. They are not segmented along the same lines. Two Africans may be more genetically different than one of the Africans and a European. Two Europeans may also be genetically different, but belong to the same race. Race is a social construct, but breeds are not. Humans have not really experienced the wide level of artificial selection that dogs have. The two are not comparable, and for reasons that have nothing to do with PC culture.

Even if we were to start a worldwide program to measure stuff like intelligence based on (unscientific) race, the intelligence measurements would in their own terms be unscientific due to their inherent cultural bias. Any differentiation in the results wouldn't teach us anything, and would serve to reinforce bias.

Do you like egg salad?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Yes, actually. One of the good ways to serve a hardboiled egg, preferably sliced or cubed. (the creamy version of this you're probably referring to is also good, though I like it less)

I think I might do a freezer bag omelette today for a very late lunch.
Larssen
+99|1857

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, societies all over the world over thousands of years separately and independently developed the metric system.

Either evolution is a thing or it isn't - apparently you're the the one in the discussion who believes god did it.
You'd be the guy charging galileo with heresy.
Larssen
+99|1857

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Over the last decade or two Dilbert must've read this a million times. He can't bring himself to accept it, because his belief in racial divides has been incorporated as a part of his personality. It's not about facts and never was.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Usage of correct terms was apparently more important when we were lecturing Jay about deck terminology.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

All dog breeds belong to the same species.
And yet different breeds are radically different, with radically different intrinsic behaviour and suitability for different tasks.
Huskies are suitable for high energy continuous activity in a pack but not passive guarding or tracking, Alsations are suitable for passive guarding and tracking but not continuous activity in a pack etc

All human "races" are the same species.
See above.

So anyway, we're going to try Resident Weasel on scrambled eggs and see how he goes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You'd be the guy charging galileo with heresy.
Um no, you see the scientific process is 'observe evidence - formulate and test theory', you're using the process 'ignore evidence - parrot latest woke ideology', they really aren't the same thing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

And yet what? You're not pointing anything out that joins the breed vs. race terminologies. Just reposting the one thing I said they had in common before explaining why they're different.

Did you know that weasels have a war dance?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
[  ] I believe in evolution, races can be different

[  ] I don't believe in evolution, everyone is exactly the same, Chihuahuas and Dobermans are exactly the same and have exactly the same potential and anyone who says different is a racist
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Just finished outlining why they are != and reiterating the unscientific nature of races. Anyway take it to the race thread. This thread's all about
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

If different breeds of dog have different inherent behaviors, does the same apply to people?
No, to say that would be racist.

Obviously Alsations, poodles and Chihuahuas have the exact same physical and behavioural characteristics, if you disagree you're a eugenicist.
oh my god you are fucking illiterate. read a high school biology textbook.

the fact you identify as a ‘man of science’ is grimly funny.

“wow different civilisations invented a metric system; it’s evolution!”.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert doesn't eat animals for I guess ethical reasons (?) but was perfectly fine with his cats terrorizing local wildlife.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

your view of evolution is literally wrong. you’re arguing for something like a telos and ‘end’, a definite ‘progress’ and sense of advance. chronology for you is tied into some metaphysical sense of betterment.

‘all these civilisations upgraded to a metric system at roughly the same time: evolution!’. 

this is NOT the scientific view of evolution. it’s the neo-darwinist, victorian one, tied into imperialist and racist doctrines about ‘the mission of western civilisation’. and for ‘western’ read CHRISTIAN. that’s because telos and teleological thinking is religious and metaphysical, not scientific.

amazingly ironic, really.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Your reading comprehension is failing, obviously countries didn't independently develop an identical metric system any more than races separated by thousands of years and thousands of miles developed exactly the same intelligence and intrinsic behaviour any more than a dachshund would be just as good at hunting deer as a deerhound because race theory says so

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-02-25 15:40:03)

uziq
+492|3422
you make literally no sense. read a book.
uziq
+492|3422
only in a thread about literally the best way to cook an egg could dilbert, in 3 pages, start ranting about dog breeds and the metric system.

ever think you're a little bit screwy? like maybe you actually need help? or to go outside and socialize with human beings a bit?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was Macbeth who started it, and it is you who is ranting.

Anyway, what is the best type of egg to feed a cat?
uziq
+492|3422
i'm not ranting at all, i think you're hilarious, in a kind of adorable two-dimensional drunken uncle kind of way. but i pity you. as ever fear, mistrust and odium seem to be your dominant top-notes. it must be a lonely and exhausting existence.

you're smart enough to read a few books on evolution but you prefer to nurse antiquated pet theories from the era of kipling. also very funny.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Just finished outlining why they are != and reiterating the unscientific nature of races. Anyway take it to the race thread. This thread's all about
Can't do deviled eggs, at least the way most people make them. I cannot for the life of me eat mass-produced mayonnaise, even if it's blended into an egg yolk. My mommy always makes me special deviled eggs when she makes them for large gatherings. God bless her heart.
uziq
+492|3422
cannot stand mayo and it's slow infiltration into everything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard