uziq wrote:

korea
Don't sneeze

completely unrelated comic
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

about leaving the UK: almost piteously easy. despite constant statements from politicians that 'leaving home or going on holiday is now strictly illegal'
Amazing how there's a chasm between rhetoric and implementation. Its as if they have no experience of doing anything.

the level of tech involved in their test+trace is scarily good. for historical reasons, south korea has its own in-depth GPS and mapping software - they basically locked google maps out of the country for most of the 2000s on this score. as a result, the quarantine app i must use knows my location to a very high degree of accuracy. the maps app (naver) actually contains detailed room-size dimensions for almost every building; they know the exact floorplan and layout of my apartment, thus they know if i ever leave it. i have to self-report my symptoms twice a day on the app, morning and evening, and which app permanently uses the 'GPS track' feature of the phone (your phone has to be rigged to a charger almost permanently as a result, it's a bit of a battery burner).
Considering the UK has spent GBP12 billion you'd think they'd have something more impressive than an excel spreadsheet, and a .xls in compatibility mode at that, by now.

Still don't understand why you didn't go to one of the many nondescript multi-racial melting pots you're always espousing, still, I hope you have a fun time.

(IIRC I spent about three days straight awake on the trip to Aus. Fun times.)
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
i honestly don't understand for a second what you're driving at with your 'why didn't you go to a multicultural country if they're so great?' rhetoric. you're implying that i find it desirable to go to a monocultural place by dint of the very fact that it's monocultural. as if i'm drawn to a country with racial purity or something for that reason. how does that benefit me, as a white westerner who will always and only be considered a 'foreigner'? it's going to make me more prone to staring, more prone to racial discrimination, liable to be banned and denied entry to restaurants, bars, gyms, etc.

why is this some innate strength and virtue of a society to you? of all the reasons to travel to asia, their monoculturalism and lack of diversity is not exactly high up on the list. i want to experience another culture, of course, but there's many facets to a culture, it's mix of ethnicities and religions only being one of them. as a visitor, i'm not particularly interested in the skirmishes of korean cultural conservatives' about the presence of workers from indonesia, the phillipines, or the influences of russians/kazakhs/turkmen in business dealings, etc. why do you think this discourse interests me in the fucking slightest?

furthermore, how are you taking my trip abroad as a 'rejection' of multicultural cities when i own a fucking apartment in one? lol. a year's working holiday must represent my rejection of multiculturalism, and a tacit admittance of its failures! it can't at all represent one's interest in other cultures and the plurality of said world cultures, can it? derp derp deeeeerp.

in any case, seoul is a major cosmopolitan hub with plenty of cultures. areas like itaewon are full of turkic and muslim people, americans/canadians, europeans, etc. i'm hardly 'going native' in a small town in the countryside and opting for total immersion in an alien culture. seoul has starbucks, parisian patisseries, and irish bars ffs.

https://www.koreaexpose.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/14049143006_4f4324b5d1_k.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Seoul-Yongsan.gu-01.jpg

between newbie's 'lol mid-life crisis' reading (living abroad for a year or two, learning another language, experiencing new sights 'a mid-life crisis' for a childless, unmarried, 30-something, i mean fucking really) and your idée fixe about races mixing, i really fucking pity you both. the sheer lack of imagination and general curiosity on display is borderline fucking autistic.

Last edited by uziq (2021-02-17 01:32:15)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

lol I didn't mean to strike a raw nerve. You're supposed to be "retired" from the forum anyway. If you don't want people poking exaggerated fun at you, stop being such an insufferable shit sometimes and taking every off-hand remark so exhaustingly seriously, time and time again. How much of the music thread was monopolized by your little war with Larssen?

Not being that enamored of your specific adventures in SK may be more indicative of a disdain for you than for travel.

The earbuds sound great by the way. Thanks for the tip, asshole.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
You are not fooling anyone, Uzique. We all know why you are really in Korea. The Koreans all know why you are really there.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1857
Ya went to experience the fine culture of korean pussy uziq. Go find yourself some kpop idol on tinder.

I do hope they stare less in Seoul than China. It's fun for about a week.
uziq
+492|3422
there are asians in the UK, you know. nobody goes 9,000km and uproots their life to find tinder dates.

a mere perquisite, i tell you ...

that said, being in a country where open coffee shops, bars and partying are still 'a thing' is a huge draw. the UK won't be reopening its night-life sector or pubs until june, being charitable. forgive me for not wanting to spend another 4 months staring at this forum everyday and doing little else.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

mmmf mmmf mmmf
ok my guy. have you ever left the united states even for a vacation?

you and dilbert are easy to argue with 'exhaustively' because you are exhaustively autistic. isn't it amazing how much bile and bitterness dilbert wants to spout onto a totally ordinary 'young traveller' experience, whilst sitting on a forum all day moaning about his job? but wait, being an engineer is the best thing ever, remember, and a total life achievement. just look at the guy living at home into his 50s, who is fearful of foreigners/strangers, and hasn't had a new experience or adventure since that time he took part in a shooting tournament as an undergraduate. but remember: engineers are the pinnacle of human achievement and if you aren't one, you're wasting your life!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I left the United States on vacation. As a dick measuring contest, this angle kind of sucks. "I sat my ass down on a plane and showed up in a different contry, booyah." Gold star.

Imagine making fun of people for years for posting redditisms, while calling everyone who isn't you "autistic." Find a new line, dude. Probably plenty of awkward material out there that probably wouldn't come across as callous and insensitive to some. If this is like the only place you can Talk Like A Gamer, maybe you shouldn't have retired.

I can see though that this is more of a jay ragequit without the rage.
uziq
+492|3422
who is raging or ragequitting? i redirected the 4 hours a day i was putting into this forum's shitposting into organizing a year-long trip and taking language courses. where's the rage? did i quit in frustration or exasperation? no. i had more pressing things to do. how are you so confused?

good for you that you've been abroad. i know it's not the norm in america. slightly weird that you frame travel as a 'mid-life crisis', though. it's a normal thing to do. the only 'crisis' aspect, if you want to put it that way, is the very real covid crisis, which has indeed changed work patterns radically, including my own, and opened up a glimpse of permanently rearranged working circumstances. one small upshot of covid, for me, is that not going into an office has now been a successful 12-month proof-of-concept. i can live and work from anywhere in the world -- so i'm trying it.

how's your mid-life going by the way?

Last edited by uziq (2021-02-17 18:50:06)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I can't wait to travel again. I let my passport expire last year for the first time since I was 17.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wouldn't mind finding some new skiing destinations. I have about perfect motion recall from Snoqualmie and Crystal. Skiing all day or night and I was definitely recreating the sensation of all the bumps and transitions back at the lodge or on the way home.

There's a number of Euro sites I'd consider for a trip out, though I've also been eyeballing Whistler. The Christmas lights there would be fun to see.

uziq wrote:

who is raging or ragequitting? i redirected the 4 hours a day i was putting into this forum's shitposting into organizing a year-long trip and taking language courses. where's the rage? did i quit in frustration or exasperation? no. i had more pressing things to do. how are you so confused?

good for you that you've been abroad. i know it's not the norm in america. slightly weird that you frame travel as a 'mid-life crisis', though. it's a normal thing to do. the only 'crisis' aspect, if you want to put it that way, is the very real covid crisis, which has indeed changed work patterns radically, including my own, and opened up a glimpse of permanently rearranged working circumstances. one small upshot of covid, for me, is that not going into an office has now been a successful 12-month proof-of-concept. i can live and work from anywhere in the world -- so i'm trying it.

how's your mid-life going by the way?
lmao

I said ragequit without the rage. All in part of poking light fun at you. But of course you couldn't resist taking it up. Likewise, bad read on my mid-life crisis remark. You'd figure someone who uses "autism" (you like that word a lot, though sometimes act the part) as a meme insult would know when someone's yanking their chain. I could just picture you taking a glance the wrong way and verbally laying into a defenseless grocery store clerk, then leaving feeling all fuzzy and satisfied that you ruined someone's day.

I can't complain about my mid-life at the moment. I live in a plague nation with crappy health care. My head's still above the water, and my business, which is soon relocating closer to home, is still steaming along. I had a panini and a fruit salad for dinner, and my $150 steam cart that I didn't really want to buy expired and cleared itself. Thanks for the genuine concern.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

in any case, seoul is a major cosmopolitan hub with plenty of cultures. areas like itaewon are full of turkic and muslim people, americans/canadians, europeans, etc. i'm hardly 'going native' in a small town in the countryside and opting for total immersion in an alien culture. seoul has starbucks, parisian patisseries, and irish bars ffs.
In South Korea, a variety of different Asian people had migrated to the Korean Peninsula in past centuries, however few have remained permanently. South Korea and North Korea are among the world's most ethnically homogenous nations. Both North Korea and South Korea equate nationality or citizenship with membership in a single, homogenous ethnic group and politicized notion of "race."

The common language and especially race are viewed as important elements by South Koreans in terms of identity, more than citizenship.

South Korea is one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world with an absolute majority of Korean ethnicity who account for approximately 96% of the total population. However, with its emergence as an economic powerhouse, demand for foreign immigrants increased and in 2007 the number of foreign citizen residents in South Korea passed the one million mark for the first time in history, and the number reached 2 million in 2016. Of those, 1,016,000 came from China, with more than half of them being ethnic Koreans of Chinese citizenship. The next largest group was from Vietnam with 149,000 residents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph … outh_Korea

LMAO 
I mean, would you have travelled half-way around the world to find yourself back in Bristol?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

just look at the guy living at home into his 50s, who is fearful of foreigners/strangers, and hasn't had a new experience or adventure since that time he took part in a shooting tournament as an undergraduate.
LMAO You have no idea what I've done, I was on the British Olympic squad, I've been state Champion, beaten a Commonwealth Games Gold medallist, came within a whisker of beating our local Olympian at a recent state titles (same person, I load his ammo for him, we're good friends) and thats just my weekend hobby.

but remember: engineers are the pinnacle of human achievement and if you aren't one, you're wasting your life!
Engineers are the pinnacle of human achievement, I think its fairly obvious that autistic engineers are the next step in evolution - no doubt War-Man will outbreed you.

Anyway, out of the two of us who has devoted hundreds of pages to reeing about whose beep-boop music is valid?
Seems like you're the autist if you're devoting four hours a day to that.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-02-17 23:21:52)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

In South Korea, a variety of different Asian people had migrated to the Korean Peninsula in past centuries, however few have remained permanently. South Korea and North Korea are among the world's most ethnically homogenous nations. Both North Korea and South Korea equate nationality or citizenship with membership in a single, homogenous ethnic group and politicized notion of "race."

The common language and especially race are viewed as important elements by South Koreans in terms of identity, more than citizenship.

South Korea is one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries in the world with an absolute majority of Korean ethnicity who account for approximately 96% of the total population. However, with its emergence as an economic powerhouse, demand for foreign immigrants increased and in 2007 the number of foreign citizen residents in South Korea passed the one million mark for the first time in history, and the number reached 2 million in 2016. Of those, 1,016,000 came from China, with more than half of them being ethnic Koreans of Chinese citizenship. The next largest group was from Vietnam with 149,000 residents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph … outh_Korea

LMAO 
I mean, would you have travelled half-way around the world to find yourself back in Bristol?
isn't that the whole fucking point? you go somewhere different.

so because i'm not travelling to a mirror-image of a multicultural british city, that means ... multiculturalism must be a failure?

do better.

and yes, south korea is an extremely homogeneous society. most of east asia is that way. but a foreigner can still live in a seoul or a tokyo and be surrounded by expats, or frequent european cafes and british bars, and shop at global corporate chains and franchises. they are modern cities and major international hubs. your statistics are describing the ethnic make-up of the population, not the vast numbers of transients and short-termers (like me) who come and go from their capital cities and major tourist destinations. dumbass. there's over a million foreigners in south korea, roughly, and most all of them are concentrated in seoul.

Last edited by uziq (2021-02-18 00:49:11)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, you're leaving a multicultural paradise to visit an overtly racist monoculture for, er, cultural reasons and already singing the praises of their efficiency.

But my point is once everywhere is a multicultural barf there'll be no point travelling anywhere.
uziq
+492|3422
singing the praises of their pandemic response means i am disavowing multiculturalism? wow you really are a fucking bizarre man.

you have a strange notion of what 'multiculturalism' even is, but i don't give a fuck about your views on the subject. shut up, you mong.

has 'britain' stopped being 'british' and attracting tourists because it has pakistanis in bradford? i'll let you puzzle it out from your all-seeing roost in shawumba wumba.
Larssen
+99|1857
I just had a ridiculously busy week and spent today writing all sorts of shit from 8 am to 7 pm no time for even a lunch break. On a friday. Hope this month is over soon cos my brain is fried now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

My last two weeks have been super chill bc of CNY. I was able to catch up on a lot of stuff I was pushing to the back burner.

At least it's Friday. Reward yourself with a bottle of wine and a nice block of cheese.
Larssen
+99|1857
I ordered a massive hamburger and fries. This weekend I shall binge netflix.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Watch The Little Things and Judas and the Black Messiah on HBOmax. The Little Things was better than I expected. Judas and the Black Messiah was ok but a little slow to develop, and a bit sensationalized for my liking, but still an interesting look at Fred Hampton. The guy was the face of the Black Panthers and was assassinated at 21 years old.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Called a Professor to clarify due dates for an online graduate class. The guy doesn't like email for some reason and wants to be called. I said "Good afternoon Mr. Name". And he corrected me "Dr. Name". I apologized but internally I
https://media2.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif
Also
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

You should have flexed on him and asked him what type of patients he sees.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I made some hard-boiled eggs over the weekend and I didn't have the heat turned up high enough on the burner. Now the whites are all soggy which is making them hard to peel. It's really fucking annoying. Luckily I only had 7 eggs to boil and I'm down to 2 left, so next batch will be back to normal.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I think putting them into an ice-bath immediately after boiling helps? Honestly I can't tell which permutation of 15 different "life hacks" actually help with peeling, but something does. Sometimes you get the peel-in-two-piece-of-shell eggs and sometimes you pull off so much white with the shell that you end up just holding the yoke and get pissed off.
My condolences.

Peel under running water though, that shit helps get all the residual shell off.

Last edited by pirana6 (2021-02-22 18:54:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Spin on countertop to test hardboil (stable is good), roll under palm to loosen shell. Should come right off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard