SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
What is your work/school email etiquette? I always include polite "good [time of day] , [Mr. Blah] . Hope you are well"  and finish with "Have a great rest of your day or weekend!". After that I don't have to respond back to "have a great weekend too!" with anything right? I know some people would respond back with an email with just "thank you!" at that point but I don't. Is that okay? I can see it very annoying to get an email alert for a message that is just "thank you!".
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Hi XXX

This is what I want from you

Thanks

DX

Its a given you don't have to reply to platitudes.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
One of my major work pet peeves is being copied on a reply-all "thank you" to a group of people. When I send them, it's only to the actual person involved unless there's follow up in terms of a "TY for this info, but also...". I get enough emails that don't really concern me directly that those are just the icing on the waste of time cake.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What is your work/school email etiquette? I always include polite "good [time of day] , [Mr. Blah] . Hope you are well"  and finish with "Have a great rest of your day or weekend!". After that I don't have to respond back to "have a great weekend too!" with anything right? I know some people would respond back with an email with just "thank you!" at that point but I don't. Is that okay? I can see it very annoying to get an email alert for a message that is just "thank you!".
No need to respond to your example. No need to respond when people reply "thank you".

The "hope you are well" only comes out when it's someone I
have a working relationship with that i haven't corresponded with in a while.
No email signature, just a thank you and my name.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Business correspondence, I usually keep as short and to the point as possible. Ungarnished except for the automated signature with the standard name, company, position, contact info. If there are attachments I will append an itemized list of filenames with brief descriptions of the contents (this also helps me go back and find stuff I've already sent when I get those "we never got it, can you please send it" messages). If I can save someone a minute, I think it's a minute worth saved.

I only add anything else if responding to an email that took that step first. 'Thank you' if an out-of-company contact, less-formal 'thanks' if in-company and usually just my name at the bottom.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

No need to respond to your example. No need to respond when people reply "thank you".

The "hope you are well" only comes out when it's someone I
have a working relationship with that i haven't corresponded with in a while.
No email signature, just a thank you and my name.
I type "I hope you are well" to co-workers and supervisors. Parents don't get that unless I email them often. I don't have a custom email signature set up.

I usually sign my emails at the end  "-Mac". If it is a parent or student I will sign it Mr. Beth. I really don't care for being called Mr. Beth. I wouldn't be bothered me if the parents and students called me by the first name on the regular actually but the school might think it was weird.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
4 months after leaving my previous job that I absolutely loathed, I am currently hating my new position. Luckily it's for a completely different reason and I hate it slightly less. The last place I was ready to walk out any day and go without healthcare during covid, this one is at least manageable while I start up the resume-shuffle yet again.

I promise it's not me. My last job was frankly AMAZING until we got bought out and my position morphed into the new companys version of the same position. The job before that I was in for 6 years was also great and I only ended up leaving because I had sorta maxed out my progression there.

This one? I was told directly and indirectly a few times to ask fewer questions. Yes fewer. Now don't get me wrong, I hate the people that absolutely inundate you with questions and I try not to be that person. There's nothing I love more about a job than being in a state of working independently, without directly relying on others, to achieve whatever hourly/daily/monthly goal you're working on. If I can get to the point where I can identify weaknesses in our team and company and take the initiative to fix them, without direction from others, I'm sitting pretty. That is what I had achieved at my previous company and was subsequently promoted well before many people who had been there for years longer than myself.
but in order to get to that point, you're going to need help, and in order to get help, you're going to need to ask questions... And trying to start a new position during covid is going to result in even more questions than normal. And since we aren't in an office where I can turn around and find the person who can best give me the answer, I need to ask directly over IM. Without knowing if the person I'm asking is busy or not.
Anyway, they're basically convincing me to sit down, shut up, and collect a paycheck. Maybe if I was 64.9 years old, sure, but I'm trying to learn and become an asset to the team so I can do the above-listed independent-initiative stuff. Also to learn and advance my career.
Anyway, sorry I just wanted to rant.

tldr: New job sucks 4 months into it. Need to find a new one.

edit: forgot the best part. I don't get PTO until I've been with the company for a year.
There's 4 tiers:
"Unlimited PTO - Management"
"Normal PTO - Management"
"Full time hourly"
"Variable hourly"

I should be 'full time hourly', like nearly everyone else. Instead I'm variable hourly, which is the tier they give the 18 year olds just out of high school on their first job that work 15 hours a week. I understand that tier for that age and went through it myself, but for someone now? wtf

Last edited by pirana6 (2021-02-26 17:42:42)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I came to the conclusion I'm going to hate every job so there's no point getting too invested.
I enjoy the challenges and the learning, dealing with creepy assholes who wouldn't blink if you dropped dead in front of them and care less about customers not so much.

Eventually I'll have a business on my own, making some things and distributing some things.

Right now is actually not bad, I'm casual so paid more than ever and zero notice so I can walk out at the drop of a hat.
My manager is on two strikes, if he's snide or stroppy again he's going to be told, if I get the wrong response I'm out of the door.

Last time he was grizzling about a historical project which wasn't perfectly documented, it was a one off and a rush job and we made it up as it went along so no, it wasn't perfectly documented. He has no clue about the time and effort we put in so he could sit on his fat ass doing fuck all in a different dept.

In other news the GM has just noticed there's a factory attached to his office and ~six months in maybe its time he had a walk around and found out what is going on.
Also they've completely failed to replace my colleague and customers are pissed so he's being re-hired - I hope he fucking rapes them. When he left I asked if he'd come back on double the salary and he said nope.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-02-26 21:11:07)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My bad, my colleague isn't being rehired, his work is being dumped on one of the three people in the building who currently does useful work.
They still need a process engineer for that unit. That was my original role but everyone seems to have forgotten and I'm fucked if I'm reminding them.
Its tedious but a complete doddle. Maybe I'd take another 50% on top of my contract rate.

The CEO of our top customer has had a chat with our GM to 'detail his concerns' about the fact we've failed to deliver various projects and there's little prospect we'll keep to any timescale in the future, which fucks up their plans for offloading the work onto us and clearing the decks for their core business which is going gangbusters. He's begged for a realistic, concrete timetable aaaaaannnd the GM can't give him anything.

This seems to have caused the GM to finally wake up, now he's whinging about how hard it is to find good people. Well I guess he shouldn't have insulted 90% of the people in the building in his first presentation. The CEO went one better - insulting everyone in the global company, its hard to fathom what these people are thinking.

Another key person has taken a week off, and while away asked for another week off. Now everyone is shitting themselves as if he walks the company is beyond fucked.
We share the same manager, it may be coincidence but he was snippy and rude to the guy a couple of weeks ago. The GM also finally set foot in that area around the same time. He's a total twat so it could be that too.

One of my colleagues has 20 weeks leave in the bank, he's also critical. I've suggested he take a couple of weeks break and switch off his phone so people notice his existence. Otherwise he'll also just grind away forever in his forgotten hole.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-03-11 01:19:00)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Interesting series. Please continue.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I have the luxury of making sure our tvs stay on and up to date. There's a 75% chance someone will stop by and say why not turn netflix on. Some of these people have been repeat offenders. Now I know how cashier's feel when items don't scan
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I heard from a friend that another pharma company nearby is going on a hiring spree and pays a pretty decent wage (which it should considering the location). Had a look at the jobs and one posted just today is basically my job, even using the same systems. I am intrigued, as it seems like a way out from how my current role feels like a ticking time bomb.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
We make plastic sheets and we offer accuracy down to the 64th of an inch for some reason. Someone ordered down to the 64th on a sheet that is already over 50inches wide. I don't understand it. It's stupid.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whats stupid is that you're still using inches.

We have a customer who puts literally hundreds of dimensions and tolerances on a part which is going to be laser cut by a third party.

There's no way I'm going through hundreds of tolerances and stackups to convert their tolerances to supplier tolerances. I just take them all off and send out the file - no complaints in ten years.

Either order standard or premium which gives you a positional tolerance and work out your design from there. Expecting the impossible is the path to disappointment.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
We offer metric but only one customer uses it. And they only go the the half cm
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What the actual fuck is a 'half cm'?

https://i.imgur.com/XSGCUQl.png

https://i.imgur.com/JAs392q.png

https://i.imgur.com/y8o3nWI.png

Literally all of it completely redundant.

Who could have imagined an engineer could be autistic?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Our system has cm only for whatever reason so it says 60.5 cm instead of 605mm

We ship it in mm though. Again it's stupid
Larssen
+99|1857
Why not just use mm's in that case
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
The system has 5 unit of measure of options.  Indicated by a single letter.
Cm
Meters
Inches
Feet
None

It's 25 years old and no one wants to put time into it. And M is taken by meters
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's literally impossible to please some metric users. State something in inches and they lose their minds. State something in fractions of a cm and they still lose their minds. I thought part of the big sell was easy mental math, what's so cringe about using cm over mm? Just move the dot.

Same thing over and over again, if I slip up and say what my local temp is in F on voip that becomes the conversation for like the next fifteen minutes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, I'm 1-55/64m tall.

So easy, I don't know why everyone doesn't use this system.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

OK I didn't mean like a literal fraction display. They make sense for US measurements because there are tools to those measurements. I would rather ask for a 7/16 than a 0.4375. Obviously going into 1-55/64 m or 1.859375 m are not as easy to say as 6'1. Why don't you just round it to 1.8 m? Oh sorry, 1800 mm. Oh sorry, 1859 mm, we want to be exact.

But the point still stands. If it's so easy to convert metric measurements, why are people getting upset with something being displayed in cm over mm.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I'll start using metric fractions to annoy engineers
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I will find you and I will spank you.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf