Larssen
+99|1858
Nah you can't. During the mink thing we figured out even seagulls can carry the rona. You don't need people for infections.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The Australian tennis open has been a disaster, they probably need everyone there a month early and no spectators.

This is going to be a grind - assuming everything goes to plan.
Should be just in time for the next pandemic.

Will a vaccine give us our old lives back?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id … 568e161c4f

Personally I'd like to see an end to grossly excessive animal farming and meat consumption, and the unnecessary level of travel holiday addicts indulge in.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-22 21:26:10)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
So all of the National Guard soldiers are getting COVID. In retrospect bringing in 20,000 soldiers from around the country and letting them all sleep on the floor was a poor idea during a pandemic.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Did Joe hug them all?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
He is vaccinated and we have a vice president available. Let him roll the dice on hugs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Vaccination may not mean you can't infect people, it may mean you just don't get sick, these things are known unknowns at this point.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So all of the National Guard soldiers are getting COVID. In retrospect bringing in 20,000 soldiers from around the country and letting them all sleep on the floor was a poor idea during a pandemic.
We wouldn't have needed a bunch of National Guard crashing in DC if it wasn't for blah blah Trump raids blah blah blah.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A year on Britain is starting to think about quarantining travelers. Amazing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Only one year behind everyone else.

Rishi Sunak backs Covid quarantine hotels for all UK arrivals
PM to decide on tough border curbs tomorrow

Rishi Sunak has thrown his weight behind plans to force everyone entering Britain to quarantine in a hotel to prevent new coronavirus strains jeopardising the mass vaccination programme.

Amid growing support for the proposal among members of the cabinet, the chancellor is understood to have concluded that the economic cost of the move is outweighed by the risks of the present travel restrictions.

A decision on tightening border rules is due to be made by Boris Johnson tomorrow at a meeting of the government’s Covid operations committee. Two senior government sources said that the prime minister was becoming “more swayed” by the need to take decisive action.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coro … -5xnvswnpr

Also

https://i.imgur.com/eQ4KpTU.jpg

Probably would have been cheaper to 'close the borders' than keep them open.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Chicago teachers voted to strike instead of going back to in person. I acknowledge that there are a lot of teachers who are lazy and want to ride out work from home forever. (Macbeth) But we need to have a conversation about how many parents seem to not like their children to the point that they are desperate to unload them on someone else for 6 hours a day. (Jay)

Someone on the NYT board had a retort to the "kids are going to lose a year of learning" argument. He pointed out he was left back while in Catholic school because the nunes didn't think he was mature enough for the next grade. He later got a PhD and also matured. Kids were left behind all the time back in the day. We put up a lot of barriers to kids failing nowadays. The kids who are failing to adjust to virtual very likely would fail to hang back in the day before we made it hard to fail kids.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think society can survive kids schooling from home for awhile. It sucks, but we probably need to work on our resilience against this sort of thing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I think virtually learning has long-term potential. The absence of exhausting "classroom management" and the simplification of paperwork is great. The Chicago teachers probably don't want to go back to schools where the students threaten to fist fight them and don't want to learn. These work from home arrangements can also help alleviate the teacher shortage.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Half of schooling is about learning to turn up on time, learning to get your work done on time, learning to fit in socially.

As an expert on kids I think kids need to learn to do this or we'll have a generation of unemployables - in companies anyway, but then companies as we know them are probably going to cease to exist so I dunno.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

We already have unemployables from across multiple generations, and there are homeschooled kids more socialized than some of the turds in public and private. Suggesting that a major focus of at least American schools is life skills is pretty laughable. Beyond reading, writing, and arithmetic it's mostly very academic. Practical classes are underfunded even by underfunded's standards (our chem lab was sad). I learned how to do taxes in JROTC ffs, and in no other class where it might have fit the theme.

Remotely you still have to log in on time, pay attention, and do your work. As an added bonus you won't have to dodge unpoliced scraps in the hallways. It's a model that's worth exploring, I think, and might help out in areas where schools are strained for money and seats. Kids can still socialize with each other after school.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe you're right, it may be a whole lot better for the future of work, and better for the majority of kids who don't want to have to deal with the cro-magnon throwbacks in the playground.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

One of the arguments is sometimes that school "teaches kids how to deal with bullies." It doesn't, really. If you fight back, or even if you don't, you're suspended or expelled just as if you were the bully. Being involved is enough. Further, I'm convinced that some kids in school learn how to bully there, or do so out of peer pressure, and are very good at manipulating staff into believing their innocence.

Doing things 100% remotely probably isn't the long term solution. It would be interesting though to, barring an active pandemic, to cycle classes in and out maybe every other day. That on top of a shorter school day with longer subjects and with less busywork homework I think would help on focus a bit.

My first logistical concern would probably be for the kids with poor or neglectful parents who rely on school lunches. I haven't really kept up with how that worked in 2020.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Some of the mute and autistic kids are actually better at socializing and interacting online than in person. I remember kids who would sit quietly alone or occasionally get abused are actually pretty talkative through text. The caveat to this is that these kids will eventually need to go into the real world at some point. But then again there are charming date rapist running around too and no one is wondering how the school system failed that person.
Larssen
+99|1858
For all the critique on the UK, their vaccination rollout is very fast compared to everyone else. Doing something right.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Some of the mute and autistic kids are actually better at socializing and interacting online than in person. I remember kids who would sit quietly alone or occasionally get abused are actually pretty talkative through text. The caveat to this is that these kids will eventually need to go into the real world at some point. But then again there are charming date rapist running around too and no one is wondering how the school system failed that person.
I remember there were a lot of thin-substance English classes but nothing really involving effective communication (even in "AP" English) until I got to college. A lot of these extraneous classes can be found in private schools, yet our country can't "afford" these things for public?

It would probably be inconvenient to the upper class having a populace largely able to communicate their grievances, though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
In retrospect college was really something special in life in terms of quality of education. Being in an environment with people who want to learn is such a great thing. Of course we had to make it $15,000 a year in just tuition.
Larssen
+99|1858
I studied for 6 years (undergrad & postgrad) & that got me a total student debt of 32k euros. It not only paid for tuition but was also supplemental income to cover all my living costs/expenses. By EU standards this is still quite a lot of debt, but it was worth it.

I know some unis in the US ask that amount or even more in yearly tuition fees. It's ridiculous.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I remember there were a lot of thin-substance English classes but nothing really involving effective communication (even in "AP" English) until I got to college. A lot of these extraneous classes can be found in private schools, yet our country can't "afford" these things for public?

It would probably be inconvenient to the upper class having a populace largely able to communicate their grievances, though.
My english classes were shit and a complete waste of time, we had some 'communication' classes which were fairly useless, don't kids in american schools at least have show and tell?

Macbeth wrote:

Too much unsupervised time only leads to trouble, that and the failure to stamp on the psychopaths, not laud them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I know some unis in the US ask that amount or even more in yearly tuition fees. It's ridiculous.
There's no reason why a developed economy can't provide free education, there's no reason it should cost a lot of money

My university class size was 200, it should cost around 20 salaries/200, say $10,000/yr and thats still on the generous side.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Should I be worried about the new COVID variants? There is a British, South African, and now Brazilian variant. They said I should wear two mask now too.

Is this just fear mongering? It feels like it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
It has been since the beginning.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard