Larssen
+99|1857
Ok so vaccine effectiveness drops from 90% to bout 11%?

Reading beyond the headline it seems the new variant is resistant to antibodies made by people who suffered 'original covid'. This doesn't say anything about vaccine effectiveness yet and seems a tad alarmist. I've read other articles which state vaccines are still likely to remain effective.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-21 01:21:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
The vaccine is presumably against 'original covid'. Vaccination gives the same benefit of having the virus and developing the defences to the virus without the hassle of actually having the virus.

Could also be 50% to 6%, not really ideal.

In summary, no-one knows at this point.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
how about you stop reading articles and start reading (peer-reviewed) research?

data already exists that suggests quite strongly that new mutations thus far are still covered by existing vaccines.

weren't you the one advocating all of 4 posts ago abandoning lockdowns and accepting that fast-spreading covid was a 'fact of life'?

now you're like a headless chicken because you read a news stub somewhere? 'omg getting covid multiple times might be really bad after all?' ffs figure it out.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-21 01:47:20)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

We can argue about whether 4-6 hours is 'rapid', it certainly wasn't available back in last march when I'm pretty confident Korea etc did 'close their borders'.

These 'rapid' tests have already been shown to not be anything like 100% sensitive, numerous people coming into Aus taking the test overseas then testing positive when they arrive.

There's no real question Britain should have done the same thing at the same time, now it literally has the worst infection and death rate in the world.
a PCR test is 99% effective. please stop pettifogging. they are rapid turnaround because many countries have lab facilities adjoining their airports or travel stations.

you're likely talking about antigen testing.

please stop arguing when you don't know what you're talking about already.

standard procedure is to take multiple PCR tests because of the timeline of covid in the body. this obviously becomes relevant when you're transiting for 12 or even 24 hours. it's not the tests themselves that are faulty.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-21 03:40:07)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And the latest, non-peer reviewed DATA suggests otherwise.

Dilbert_X wrote:

In summary, no-one knows at this point.
uziq
+492|3422
vaccines need updating every single year to maintain protection against any number of diseases.

it was ALWAYS assumed that vaccines would have to be updated in the medium to long term to protect against covid.

this is the literal reality with flu vaccinations worldwide.

why are you being so alarmist?
uziq
+492|3422
literally from the article.

An eight-fold drop in neutralisation is the threshold the World Health Organization uses to decide when updates are needed for seasonal influenza vaccines, though the two infections are not directly comparable.

If the results from South Africa are confirmed, the risk of the variant spreading more widely would justify planning for a “potential strain update” this autumn, said Trevor Bedford, who works on immunology and virus evolution at the University of Washington.

“I’ll be getting the vaccine as soon as I’m able,” he tweeted. “We have an amazing vaccine now that works against currently circulating viruses. And if it becomes necessary, this emerging situation can be dealt with through a forthcoming vaccine update.”
we're DoOmED!!!!

Dilderpus wrote:

Vaccination gives the same benefit of having the virus and developing the defences to the virus without the hassle of actually having the virus.
thank god we've got an engineer in the house who can explain this stuff to us. i feel safer knowing there's a *checks notes* scientist posting on bf2s.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-21 01:58:58)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

why are you being so alarmist?
This has been a perpetual argument I've had to sit through every time some coronavirus permutation was discovered in 2020. Always kickstarts the conspiratorial and pessimistic.
uziq
+492|3422
don't get me wrong, i am in support of lockdown and social distancing measures to curb the virus's spread.

that's because we don't need to encourage mutation at this still incredibly high-risk time.

widespread antigen testing in the population suggests, at best, that still only 10-15% of people have had covid thus far. that's in heavily hit countries like the US, UK, spain.

the vaccination rollouts we have for the currently remarkably effective vaccines is still at < 5% worldwide.

we need to sit on our hands for a little bit longer. it is prudent. but talking about having to update the vaccines for new strains 'next autumn' is not the fucking end of the world and a 'told you so' for people who are arguing we should be under house arrest 12 months a year. this is an entirely foreseeable and planned-for situation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

If I understand it correctly mRNA vaccines simply introduce a protein to your body so your immune system learns to recognize that part of a virus and cripple its means of reproduction. A far cry from being paranoid about getting jabbed with a weakened virus that will magically reactivate, I think. Or hypocritically sending uncontrolled plague lollipops through the USPS because you don't want to vaccinate your child for chicken pox.

But the damage is being done to the new vaccines regardless.
uziq
+492|3422
the same anti-vax crowd will also deny that covid is lethal up until their dying breath.

i don't think you can appeal to reason or evidence to sway these people. they don't 'believe' in vaccines just like they don't believe 400,000 americans have died. 'but WhY aRe thErE nO fLu deAthS tHis YeaR?'

fuck them.
Larssen
+99|1857
A non insignificant part of humanity is just too stupid to get along in the 21st century, it's that simple. They can't cope with the complexity of politics, media, science, let alone viral infections and vaccines. In their confusion and helplessness they desperately kick around like a toddler who can't yet swim. I feel sorry for them in a way. I guess I despise them more.
uziq
+492|3422
i'd say these people are free to remove themselves from the gene pool at their own behest, but it's hard to be so sanguine when they're an active danger to other people and nullify public efforts.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

A lot of very cool things are in store for mRNA vaccinations in the future. I kind of feel bad for the people who have been duped into the antivax movement, but at the same time annoyed at them for believing quacks and conspiracies over learned knowledge. People are afraid to admit to ignorance on a topic like it's an assault on their person, and will fight or flight when presented with general consensus. Political thinktanks of course aren't ignorant of this tendency and have no qualms about exploiting it.
uziq
+492|3422
mRNA is cool but hardly affordable so long as it's tech in the hands of private pharmaceutical companies.

definitely a promising avenue for future vaccine tech, but has some pretty considerable logistical and economical problems, too.

it’s an epidemiological commonplace that poorer populations, communities, regions, etc, are impacted far more than richer ones. a vaccine tech that requires -70 degree transport temps or whatever it is does not bode particularly well for the majority of the world’s population who aren’t in well-developed nations, and who are by default staring down a much longer barrel when it comes to endemic or pandemic crises. but that’s by the by.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-21 04:03:29)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My company has a -86C freezer, struggling to get the GM to show any interest in loaning it out.
Then to cross barefoot the room full of lego that is negotiating with govt on who to loan it to, who will sign for it and take responsibility, how we will get it back.
Should easily be done in a 12-18 month timeframe. Might as well order another one now as we'll never see it again.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
https://i.imgur.com/oy2mTMi.png
Daily deaths totals still trending up. Why did Joe Biden do this?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
With that in mind, Biden said he will sign an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to accelerate the production of supplies needed to test, vaccinate and protect Americans.

“This is a wartime undertaking,” Biden said.
day 1 and biden is taking federal charge of this thing.

also introduced tests before flights and quarantine upon arrival, similar to other countries with OPEN BORDERS that have done well.

remember how many months jay spent arguing that the federal government wasn't suited to this, and it was best left for state-level governors to respond 'dynamically'? ROFL. half a million dead americans later ...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

With that in mind, Biden said he will sign an executive order invoking the Defense Production Act to accelerate the production of supplies needed to test, vaccinate and protect Americans.

“This is a wartime undertaking,” Biden said.
day 1 and biden is taking federal charge of this thing.

also introduced tests before flights and quarantine upon arrival, similar to other countries with OPEN BORDERS that have done well.

remember how many months jay spent arguing that the federal government wasn't suited to this, and it was best left for state-level governors to respond 'dynamically'? ROFL. half a million dead americans later ...
But why didn't Biden do anything before 400,000 died? <-- Literal argument from some right wingers
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yeah, the democrats had EVERY OPPORTUNITY to take out Trump with a suitcase bomb under the table.
Cowards.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So my uncle's most pressing issue is getting his tablet working again, and he believes the China Bat Virus originated from Saddam's NBC weapons program.
He still hasn't been tested and apparently trying to navigate the UK health system and get a test done is so hard you'd think it was deliberate to discourage people from getting tested.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Psaki fielded another question that's gotten play on social media: Why Biden and his family did not wear masks on federal land in walking in to the White House right after he signed a mask mandate?

"He was celebrating a historic day. He signed the mask mandate as a way to send a message about masks saving lives. We take a number of precautions including getting tested," she said.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

So my uncle's most pressing issue is getting his tablet working again, and he believes the China Bat Virus originated from Saddam's NBC weapons program.
He still hasn't been tested and apparently trying to navigate the UK health system and get a test done is so hard you'd think it was deliberate to discourage people from getting tested.
we're testing 640,000 people a day.

you can get a test kit in the post via request, go to your local doctors or pharmacy, or go to a major testing centre.

perhaps your uncle is just as bad at managing life as an independent adult as you are, and the problem isn't 'the UK health system'?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well he's not exactly the brightest button but from what I can see if you don't have symptoms you can't get a test.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus … ing-tested

Most other countries have contained their outbreaks with mass testing, contact tracing and isolation of asymptomatic carriers and their close contacts. He's been given no advice at all.
Maybe its too late or unmanageable for the UK now.
uziq
+492|3422
current PCR capacity is 850,000 per day. we are doing 640,000. that’s a lot of spare tests your uncle is struggling to find.

you can get tested publicly or privately. i can find 20+ private options in my immediate area with a google search, if the NHS is failing him so badly.

this is funny:
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1 … 89314?s=21

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard