Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Two of my PSUs have been making high frequency pulsed noises for a while, when the PC is off. Meeeep Meeeep Meeeep just within the audible range and very quiet.
Are they about to die?
Could be resonance. Unplug it from your components and see if it still makes a noise. Then from the power source and see if it still makes a noise. If out of warranty and you feel safe opening it up (you're an engineer, so you know everything), try pressing on various components with a non-conductive material and see if that addresses the issue.

I do know that there were a ton of faulty capacitors made in the 00s. See "capacitor plague" if you don't mind reading a bit of history. Replacing a busted or worn capacitor is certainly within my knowledge, though it's not something I'd generally bother with.

Pochsy wrote:

I checked out that Drop site discussed above. Some really nice things there. Hilarious that there's a hobby market venn diagram overlap between mechanical keyboards and headphones. I think there's a lot to unpack there. I mean, I'm in that section of the diagram myself...but man, it's never been presented to me so starkly.
It's hilarious to me that you can replace a key with a jabby triceratops head if you feel so masochistically inclined.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
Thanks, I've only electrocuted myself a few times, I'm sure I'll be fine.
#FreeBritney
uziq
Member
+393|2367

Pochsy wrote:

I checked out that Drop site discussed above. Some really nice things there. Hilarious that there's a hobby market venn diagram overlap between mechanical keyboards and headphones. I think there's a lot to unpack there. I mean, I'm in that section of the diagram myself...but man, it's never been presented to me so starkly.
that's wholly unsurprising to me, really. that's why i was trying to explain to larssen above why many, many people are interested in buying nice wired earphones/headphones for home listening, as opposed to hi-fi systems. a lot of coders, gamers and subreddit moderators who sit in front of a screen all day and want to listen to music at a quality beyond 'bluetooth gym buds'.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-06 02:18:54)

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thanks, I've only electrocuted myself a few times, I'm sure I'll be fine.
One shock was enough for me. Backlash from twisting the frayed cable of a small black & white TV in the 80s without knowing I should discharge it first. Scary stuff, super careful/proper around that it since. I wonder if that TV is still lying around somewhere, wouldn't mind replacing the power cable and firing it up for nostalgia value.
uziq
Member
+393|2367
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Obviously not the engineers' faults. Blame it on artists and businessmen.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
OK, if you all hate engineers so much feel free to not use technology.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

I don't hate engineers, but I do think some need to reevaluate. They're not perfect master race people and they can't solve all problems.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
Maybe you need to reevaluate.
#FreeBritney
uziq
Member
+393|2367

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, if you all hate engineers so much feel free to not use technology.
ok if u hate writers so much feel free 2 stop writing posts and uzing languege
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
Erm that all evolved fine by itself.
#FreeBritney
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
Anyway, you don't need technology to write, you can use a rock to scratch your thoughts into a tree.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Nobody's hating on technology and the comforts it affords. Just on the engineers who need to take it down a notch. You lot are a TV trope.
uziq
Member
+393|2367
i don't hate engineers. obviously. i don't hate any profession en masse, unless they're snake oil salesmen or child traffickers or something.

dismissing all engineers is about as stupid as dismissing all humanities graduates. i'll leave that blue-faced puffing to auto-cucks like dilbert. the rest of us are in the real world, laughing and dancing and singing and having a great good time.

the video is amusing. the guy talks in an engaging way. it's funny hearing about the apple product that had a speaker next to a hard-drive.

the end.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
If an engineer is happy why not leave them alone?

Having spent many years designing products, packaging electronics I'll explain how it works.

The engineer may have fucked up.

Equally likely the whole process was a shitstorm - here's how it works

Marketing - "We designed and styled the product, released early images and performance specs to the public and started the marketing campaign - all you smelly nerds need to do is design the electronics, get the software working, fit it all in the box we've designed, tool it all up and start shipping products on the drop dead date"

Engineering - "Um you know if you put the speaker grill there the speaker will have to go next to the hard drive and thats going to cause trouble?"

Marketing - "WE'VE DONE ALL THE HARD WORK ITS TOO LATE NOW JUST MAKE THE FUCKING PRODUCT YOU STUPID NERDS"

If you ever want to see the difference between marketing led and engineering led companies put a Ford and a Toyota side by side and open the bonnets.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Nobody's begrudging engineers happiness. Unless that happiness involves shitting on other professions. Then it's open season. Endemic STEM snobbery is not much of a help to you guys.

Also when an inexcusable #*&-up can be traced directly back to them and they don't say anything, eyebrows should be raised. Shoving it all back on marketing when stuff happens is dishonest.

e: The pencil-pushers may have been the ones who wanted to save a buck, but the public shouldn't find out about a very basic issue only after a series of fiery fatalities, catastrophic data loss, etc. There's a weight on your shoulders.

Not to discount that sometimes things are simply an engineer's fault and nobody else's.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-01-17 17:07:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX
Who knows what the truth is in that particular fuck up.

Personally I've had endless similar situations where an issue has been raised early on, the decision is taken not to fix it, it goes wrong in the market and then the whining and finger pointing starts, everyone denies all knowledge and responsibility and blames engineering.
I've learned to put everything in writing and keep all my emails.

My company has two marketing people I'm dealing with, both have lied to management and customers and blamed other people to cover up their fuckups, one is being fired, the latest fuckup - failing to send information to purchasing which will likely delay a submarine refit - may see the end of the other.
"We should have ordered a custom chip six months ago"
"Oops, you should have told me six months ago"
"Can you just go on the market and see if you can source any"
"LMAO They're custom chips on a six month lead time - you knew that"
"Can't they just make some today?"
"The IC industry is overwhelmed with demand at present, now they're on a 12 month lead time"
"OK, I'm going to tell management and the customer its your fault"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-17 17:21:38)

#FreeBritney
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

e: The pencil-pushers may have been the ones who wanted to save a buck, but the public shouldn't find out about a very basic issue only after a series of fiery fatalities, catastrophic data loss, etc. There's a weight on your shoulders.
Um no, management take commercial decisions based on cost and risk, engineers advise them of cost and risk, its their decision.
If engineers don't advise them its on engineering.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Um yes. If engineers know there's a problem and a product is released anyway, then they are morally responsible to leak the issue to the press (and regulatory authorities). You can't just blame it all on management or marketing or whatever even if they were the ones that pushed.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Who knows what the truth is in that particular fuck up.

Personally I've had endless similar situations where an issue has been raised early on, the decision is taken not to fix it, it goes wrong in the market and then the whining and finger pointing starts, everyone denies all knowledge and responsibility and blames engineering.
I've learned to put everything in writing and keep all my emails.

My company has two marketing people I'm dealing with, both have lied to management and customers and blamed other people to cover up their fuckups, one is being fired, the latest fuckup - failing to send information to purchasing which will likely delay a submarine refit - may see the end of the other.
"We should have ordered a custom chip six months ago"
"Oops, you should have told me six months ago"
"Can you just go on the market and see if you can source any"
"LMAO They're custom chips on a six month lead time"
"Can't they just make some today?"
"The IC industry is overwhelmed with demand at present, now they're on a 12 month lead time"
"OK, I'm going to tell management and the customer its your fault"
Keeping stuff in writing is an idea that serves many more facets of business than just engineering. Anyway, this is just one facet to engineers needing to get out of their own skulls and stop being such dicks. You guys really don't have the best reputation when it comes to being "people persons." See your endless ranting about humanities graduates for ex.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Um yes. If engineers know there's a problem, a product is released anyway, then they are morally responsible to leak the issue to the press. You can't just blame it all on management or marketing or whatever even if they were the ones that pushed.
The press would literally be overwhelmed with engineers complaining about flaky management decisions, and the engineer will never work again while the management creep will continue jumping from job to job as the issue is hushed over.
Then the company will just hire a yes-man engineer who gives them the answers they want.

And it invariably comes down to marginal decisions which would make for very boring reading in the papers for a public who aren't interested anyway.

"Engineer puts his job on the line to say a safety margin of 2.54 is appropriate, management say 2.53 is adequate - Congress not interested"

There are occasional issues like the 737Max but I am 100% sure thousands of emails and hundreds of meetings would have done this to death and the chain of command at Boeing would have been fully aware and fully responsible.

And for every 737Max there's always an engineer who says "you know, I've been trying to raise this with the press and congress for a decade now but no-one is interested."

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-17 17:34:19)

#FreeBritney
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Anyway, this is just one facet to engineers needing to get out of their own skulls and stop being such dicks.
How so?
You guys really don't have the best reputation when it comes to being "people persons."
So what?
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

I'm sure the press would be pretty interested in a severe problems likely to result in consumer injuries and fatalities. If they don't publish, then at least regulators should be made aware. You can also post it to tech forums too.

But there it is, from your own mouth. More concerned about the job than public safety. Stop acting like you're all such #*$-ing saints.

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Anyway, this is just one facet to engineers needing to get out of their own skulls and stop being such dicks.
How so?
I could sweep through years here for examples from you alone. Also from college anecdotes in or in the orbit of STEM.
You guys really don't have the best reputation when it comes to being "people persons."
So what?
Big mystery why people snap back, huh.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX

Dilbert_X wrote:

management take commercial decisions based on cost and risk, engineers advise them of cost and risk, its their decision.
This is how production works.
#FreeBritney
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,888|5686|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

management take commercial decisions based on cost and risk, engineers advise them of cost and risk, its their decision.
This is how production works.
For the umpteenth time, you are evading a moral responsibility if you don't whistleblow, especially on issues that could hurt or kill people. You like to pretend that engineers are god's gift to Earth but you can really you lot can be about as selfish as it gets.

Coming to no surprise that you get butthurt about an amusing video from Apple's history.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,730|5020|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I could sweep through years here for examples from you alone. Also from college anecdotes in or in the orbit of STEM.
Thats not really relevant, internal company communication is usually simple and blunt.
#FreeBritney

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard