uziq
+492|3422
don't build a new computer. it's such a senseless waste of money. what would really be the point? you're dragging a bunch of storage media with you from one place to another and necessarily buying new top-end mobos each time. didn't you spend weeks bragging about how your computer was 'future proof' and 'had vast upgradability'? now you're saying you don't have a good enough PSU and your GPU goes into BSOD conniptions every time you try to play something? lol who made the 'smart' consumer decisions again? what was the fucking point in buying a fancy motherboard and an advanced CPU when you cheaped out on the fucking PSU?

your CPU and mobo are assuredly very fine and will not throttle that new GPU. just buy a nice modular platinum-rated PSU that will cover you for the next 5-10 years. it's a worthy investment, just as worthy as buying your dream case or that fancy motherboard with three gens of life expectancy.

it's not unusual to have to buy a new PSU to deal with a graphics card, especially the monsters out nowadays with very demanding single-rail voltages. it's an extra $200 expense, which isn't the biggest deal. especially in comparison to buying an entirely new PC.

using your current PC with a 12-core ryzen and an overclocking-level motherboard or whatever as a media HTPC is just such a stupid idea. you can put together a media streaming machine for $300.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-05 08:43:03)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I do have a fancy PSU.
https://i.imgur.com/IMebAbg.png
I just need an even fancier one apparently. Some people have said that the 650w is enough for a RTX 3080 though.

Either way this is all just silly speculating. The GPU I want will be sold out/priced insane for at least a few years. The 1080ti is still priced 25% over MSRP on Amazon.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i'm still, as before, a little dumbfounded why there's this gold rush on the GPU. yes, it's good and a significant upgrade ... but for what?

the same mentality obtains with the new M1 apple silicon macbooks. everyone is going crazy about what a significant upgrade they are to previous intel/amd tech. this is undoubtedly true and the geekbench benchmarks bear it out in striking detail; but who actually needs it in use-case scenarios right now? lots of apple fans are rushing to sell their 2019 macbooks in order to have the latest striking technological breakthrough ... to sit on reddit all day loading webpages. meh.

in 2-3 years time when your system genuinely has matured, there will be even better GPUs utilizing the same tech. probably more power and thermal efficient, too.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I think the gold rush on this GPU was warranted since this is the first time in forever that there was a big leap in GPU power even if that leap best showed itself in numbers in the corner of the screen rather than in actual game content.

also for the first time in forever:
uziq
+492|3422
same situation in benchmarks with the apple silicon macbooks. it is a complete paradigm shift and their performance smokes intel/amd builds in almost every way. it is actually astonishing. but, still, they've piloted the tech on their smaller 13 inch laptops, and which is still pretty much useless to me. there's benchmarks/tech innovations and then there's actual user use-cases.

just as in 2021/2022 there will be a second generation of 16 inch macbooks, imacs, mac pros, etc. with the new silicon chips, and much better integration with software, so there will be many beautiful children of the new nvidia generation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

My Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 is "reserved for shipment" with an estimated ship date of Jan 7. It's Jan 8. I'm patient but if it's like that for another week I'm going to start feeling a little twitchy.
uziq
+492|3422
there's a thing called a pandemic going on and you ordered them, what, 2 days ago?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Well yeah obviously. I waited for like two years for a custom hardcover book, before the pandemic, and was fine with that. I just hope I don't have to wait until July to get something (even if just a status update) for my $200.

I think I've made myself perfectly clear about my thoughts (and recently personal experiences) on the pandemic in the past year, so you can put away your tiki torch. "There's a thing called a pandemic," get fucked lol.
uziq
+492|3422
haha sorry, that was curt of me.

i ordered some records 2 weeks ago and they haven’t been despatched yet. even when the store is online only for its very survival at the moment. it’s probably safe to bake in a certain level of wait for just about anything that isn’t amazon level.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Amazon is completely absurd. It's nice to be able to get same day shipping on "critical" stuff you need yesterday, but ffs give your packers a break on knickknacks and shampoos. I don't mind buying from third-party sellers on there. Pleasant notes from east Asia, or extra console cartridges I didn't specifically order but were tossed in as a thank you. Cool beans.

A day late on a status update from drop doesn't even qualify as FWP thread content.

One of my favorite offline stores has to be Music & Arts. I kept running into the same manager at different stores, having being transferred in between my visits, and we'd shoot the shit for awhile. Haven't been at all in 2020, and I do miss the more personalized shopping experience. Would usually pick up some spare strings or picks if I didn't find sheet music I was specifically interested in. I know they have an online catalog, but meh.

Small computer shops? Man, I can never read those guys. They're like on a completely different wavelength.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I like Microcenter. It makes me happy letting them put little stickers on expensive stuff.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I like Microcenter. It makes me happy letting them put little stickers on expensive stuff.
Wish I had a Microcenter up here. IIRC I'd have to drive to California or Colorado. I've got a Fry's about haflway up to Seattle, but w/e.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
The Fry's in Renton used to be the PLACE to go in high school. More to hand in that huge parking lot rather than to actually shop, but 6 of 1...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I haven't been in years. For shopping purposes, it's the only place I can think of to go buy electronic components in-person, but my need for that is rather low. I haven't touched my breadboard and test power supply in years.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

My earbuds have arrived. That puts it ahead of some of the numbers I've seen in reviews of post-massdrop drop, so I'm happy.

They've gotta be way better than the AKGs that came with the s10. Those sound like they came straight from a Gameboy.
uziq
+492|3422
enjoy.

those ones should sound decent out of just about any power source. take a little care to use high-definition source files though. bad mp3s will always sound hollow and lacking detail in the low and high end.

important to find the right size tips and right seal with IEMs too. remember a wrong tip will mean all the bass escapes.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-16 23:06:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The AKGs felt snug, but the sound was a little anemic. I can't really complain though since I specifically got a phone and those just came with it. Call me silly but I want a good first impression, so before I try the new ones out, I'm throwing together a playlist to work through sometime this week.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I need a good desktop webcam for meetings. Please advise.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You want widescreen? 4k? Price range?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
No frills. I am only going to use it for meetings. $100 or there about.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Some fairly vanilla options from various tech chats and AV articles.

0.$ - AUSDOM 1080P HD Webcam ($45 @ amazon)
$ - Logitech C920S ($70 @ logitech)
$.5 - Logitech C930E ($120 @ walmart; wider field of view?)
$$ - GoPro Hero 8 ($350 @ amazon)
$$$ - Insta360 One R ($430+ by feature; easy setup firmware-as-webcam feature)

I know GoPro made a bit of a splash as a zoom cam last year.

Anyway, I'd look for color correction, reliable frames, and a decent sounding mic if you don't already have one (make sure you have that set up correctly and the way you like before going into a meeting). Also look for where you want to mount it and make sure it's able.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Also need a mechanical cover so when you get those blackmail emails you can plausibly deny it to yourself.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Speaking of, a way to record and compress these meetings might be worth considering as a way to cover yourself. In case anyone tries to pull any revisionist BS, you can just pull up the file.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Good thinking, I had Evaer for skype when I needed it and couldn't find anything else but I think its some flaky chinese shitware, I've set it, and skype, to not start at startup, I should probably uninstall it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I should probably hasten to add that depending on the "political" situation over there with school administration, they might want to know the meetings are being recorded. Might make it seem less like some sort of covert op to them lol. Just say for review or something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard