SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Rogue One is literally the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. Solo is pretty good too. Do recommend.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I did see Rogue One in theaters. I also know lots of people didn't like the fanservice. We'll see how I like it on second viewing
Solo I have not seen but heard good things about
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

RTHKI wrote:

I did see Rogue One in theaters. I also know lots of people didn't like the fanservice. We'll see how I like it on second viewing
Solo I have not seen but heard good things about
Well I look forward to hearing your thoughts on both
[oyuutbe]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67h8GyNgEmA[/youtube]
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Watching It's a Wonderful Life and being overly critical about plot holes and the actions of the characters. It's fun.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I haven't seen it but some critics don't like it so I'm going to rate it 5/10
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

Watching It's a Wonderful Life and being overly critical about plot holes and the actions of the characters. It's fun.
Why do you hate Christmas?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I voted against watching wonderful life
Instead, Planes trains and automobiles, watching with family
8/10
First 5min I wasn't sure if the volume was high enough cause no one talked
Kevin bacon and synth music, very 80s
There's a really slight delay in audio
Airline stewardess reminded me of carrie fisher
It's too risque for my grandma were stopping 15min in

Time to resume
John candy was a treasure
Shots of this train are pretty amateur.
Funny seeing how cheap some of the other effects are. Like other movies HD really hurts them there
The ending reunion scene was pretty awkward

It's not star wars and it's a comedy so I got nothing to rant about
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Blade Runner, 8.5/10
after star wars its weird not having a bombastic opening to go with a text crawl
i know its just a pyramid with the top cut off buuut corporate hq reminds me of the jedi temple, did lucas steal it? why not
some of its so fucking weird, love it
if the replicants were gonna die soon anyway why bother chasing them down? They're slave robots they know the lifespan
not a fan of the slowmo though

Honestly I wasn't sure about the movie the first 15min as that was major b movie vibes but it greatly improved...mostly.
I look forward to watching 2049
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think one of my favorite uses of slo-mo was in the old TMNT movie.

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
interesting that that's the first one you go to.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I watched it a few times as a kid, a lot stuck with me. I enjoyed it more than Matrix later on.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Star Wars Rogue One, 7.9/10, first time watching since the theater. rounded up for imdb rating but 8 is too much
Why do they land so far away. They have a space ship and its a pretty flat farm
I'm not sure the first 8min or so actually adds anything
These planet intros just sound cheesy by the music. The ost is fine otherwise but these lil 20sec bursts are not.
I don't hate CGI Tarkin but it's weird in a movie where most characters are real v say the prequels
Why does that tank have tracks everything in star wars flies or has legs
why are we beating people up with sticks that arent lightsabers or similar. even ewoks had to swarm troopers to kill em with spears
i know a lot got cut but everything with saul, i mean saw, is weird
having the a new hope pilots, gold leader and such, is half pandering but i like it
love the ship ramming. very 40k and it only worked cause the star destroyer had no power. i do wonder why the other star destroyers shields didnt do anything though. plus the rebel transport ran into vaders ship and didnt scratch it

It has its issues. Lots of quick cuts but a fun star wars movie. having family drama added nothing to the movie. better than the sequels but not really close to the OT
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Rogue One was almost perfect as far as Star Wars movies goes. Tight plot, memorable enough characters for a one off, no plot armor, good use of established lore, and more. Genuinely added to the Star Wars lore. I love that you go into this movie already knowing few if any of these characters are going to survive it all.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I contend that the Blue Leader having a mustache is the majority of what it feel like classic 70s Star Wars to me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Rogue One was almost perfect as far as Star Wars movies goes. Tight plot, memorable enough characters for a one off, no plot armor, good use of established lore, and more. Genuinely added to the Star Wars lore. I love that you go into this movie already knowing few if any of these characters are going to survive it all.
That seems fair. I'll contend that the story suffers a bit of Game of Thrones syndrome from trying to tell too many stories and ending them for the sake of shock and abruptness rather than plot advancement. The whole bit with space Ghost Dog could have been done via space-email. The romantic subplot between space French resistance man and the imperial daughter didn't do much for me and could probably have been safely binned. I wanted to know more about Hannibal's mole work. It felt like the payoff was really seeing Vader muck through a bunch of lasers. It didn't feel like he was giving that his all, did it? Like he didn't care for the Death Star and part of him wanted to see the emperor's pet project be compromised. Being raised by the jedi turned him into a force extremist.

But of course, it's Star Wars. Pretty much in the same area as picking apart Radar Men from the Moon.

The cgi actors in it still felt a little bit off and "virtual" to me. Didn't notice it too much on Leia, but on the Tarkin shots it felt more like they were showcasing a model than putting him into a scene.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I loved Rogue One in theater, barely registered how off cgiTarkin looked. Recognized more flaws this time around and lowered my rating but eh
I don't remember space ghost dog..
he's mexican not french but yea i ignored the romance
lil_droo
+19|1465
sounds like i made a good decision by watching rogue one as my last star wars movie. it was cool but not i'm not a big stars war fan in general so idk. i haven't seen anything newer or the mandalorian show or whatever.

tenet 6/10. usually like nolan movies but this shit kinda sucked i wish i could get that time back
gang shit
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
9/10.
fuck it i loved it. 9/10
feel like i have adhd because of social media but i was able to sit through this slow burn movie. i know uzi doesnt care for the original which is the same besides worse effects.
the story is whatever but its all about the visuals and audio
harrison ford doesnt seem to hate this as much as star wars
complete opposite end of tros which failed at style and story. audio is easy with star wars you have 20 previous movies to rip from
fuck jj abrams and disney

also i love ana de armas. didnt even recognize her from knives out

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-01-02 22:36:43)

uziq
+492|3422
i like blade runner, both of them. i just think it has a very very over-inflated masterpiece status. and ridley scott is an over-rated director. he seems to make good movies despite himself. often he can’t tell the difference between a good idea/addition/rewrite and a terrible one. how many director’s cuts, cinematic releases, and repackagings are there of blade runner? that shit elaborating on the white unicorn or whatever is as cringe and unnecessary as george lucas’s habit of repainting the star wars originals with new CGI.

the best part about blade runner and the thing that’s quoted and sampled to death was a last minute improv ffs. ridley scott insisted that harrison ford come back into the studio at the end to give the world’s least inspired (and surely least necessary) voice over work. a director who treats his audience that stupidly cannot be making masterpieces.

i also don’t agree with the characterisation of blade runner as ‘slow burn’ and somehow ‘challenging’, as if it’s our fault and we’re all ritalin-addled social media simpletons. nah. large parts of both movies are just pretty boring. it’s a great world to just hang out in, sure, but let’s not pretend they’re building towards some grand cinematic vision. this isn’t a 9-hour bela tarr movie that is trying to do innovative things with a deep sense of time and tedium. it’s a movie where a bunch of hollywood a-listers wander around nice sets with their mouths pursed, trying to look thoughtful.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-02 22:54:47)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I read about the bad Harrison Ford narration but I don't even know which cut I saw of the original. Actually I watched the first 15min or so of the original then turned it off until the next night. Maybe I would have rated lower if I didn't resume at 15min in.
Honestly don't know what I'd call a masterpiece. I rate SW Ep4 10/10 but that has personal bias, visual impact, audio, music,etc . Maybe LOTR, or The Godfather which I've never seen.

Still, I had issues sitting through the SW sequels without looking at my phone/pc. Much less so with Rogue One and Blade Runner

I liked Rogue One but coming from it 2049 was slow af. Plus I watch a ton of B movies where slow = boring.Really with watching so many B movies it's hard for a big budget movies to get below a 6
This is the second movie by Villeneuve I've seen. The first was Arrival which I also gave 9/10. Really looking forward to Dune now.

Last edited by RTHKI (2021-01-02 23:21:37)

uziq
+492|3422
i liked arrival too. the best dune film will forever be jodorowsky’s unmade one. there’s a great documentary on it which, like the apocalypse now and fitzcarraldo makings-of docus, are great films in their own right.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-02 23:46:14)

Larssen
+99|1858
Villeneuve is a very good director and I guess I kind of agree wrt Scott and Blade Runner? I wouldn't go so far to compare him to George Lucas of all people though. I do think Scott should've just retired some 20 years ago. Most of what he has done since gladiator is just ???.
uziq
+492|3422
the movies have amazing production, costumes, set design, effects, etc., but i mean, can you really credit the director per se for that? i think cineastes and real film fans are quite careful to distinguish (or at least credit) great cinematography from great direction, for e.g. with tarkovsky, where so much of the sublime beauty of the films is actually the work and expertise of his director of photography, vadim yusov.

by extension, can you really credit ridley scott with the entire blade runner vision or the execution of gladiator? these films have entire armies behind them and were made with the funding and imprimatur of the biggest production/studio companies on the planet. i'm just not so impressed that gladiator had cool costumes or blade runner had a great set. of course they do! they're practically small industrial operations.

some people act like by criticizing blade runner or something that you're shooting down one of the centrepieces of cinematic history. ehhh. it's just a good movie, a very well made and very influential movie. the matrix was like that too. is the matrix a faultless masterpiece? was it partaking in some higher order of artistic expression with all that bloated, vague, very 2000s-sounding 'philosophy'? hell fucking no. i swear some people cannot tell the difference.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-03 04:17:13)

Larssen
+99|1858
I reckon his alien film is probably the most influential thing he's created, even more so than blade runner. Its legacy in the horror genre, the character types (esp ripley) and the franchise it spawned are still popularly referenced today. That film and blade runner together really cemented him in the filmmaking & scifi genres. If you contrast these movies and gladiator or thelma & louise you also see he has a very wide creative range.

I don't know if it's fair to with the benefit of hindsight say that blade runner is overrated, it's still a beautiful movie and for the time it was groundbreaking.

As to the influence of the director on the film; it's true that in mega productions that is muted, but at the end of the day he's responsible for assembling the team and executing a vision. Choosing the right people for your set design, cinematography, editing, costumes, is an integral part of the job where many directors fall short.

Edit: posted in wrong thread

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-03 04:34:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Wonder Woman 1984 6/10

Nothing really original, I suppose the point was we all have a bit of villain inside us.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Even the crazy cat lady wasn't much of a villain
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard