DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6674|United States of America
Seems strange to me if it really was surprise for you. Unless they kept that shit on lockdown, one would think there would be some outward indications. My dad got laid off a few years ago and had enough to coast on fumes into retirement, but my mom is still working (she's also 7 years younger) and clearly resents the fact that she has to work and he doesn't. Accordingly, she's "jokingly" mentioned getting a divorce several times even though it would be a pretty terrible financial move.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

Parents need to stop unloading that (joking or otherwise) on their kids, grown or otherwise. As if a lot of them would listen to the feedback. They just want to vent. I think it's sometimes understated what kind of lasting emotional complexes and weird stresses and inability to cope that can cause in some children.
uziq
+492|3441
i've postponed my korea flight. the whole world is losing its mind over this september covid strain and the barriers to travel are up everywhere.

visa entry expires in march. have rescheduled for the end of feb and will just have to hope the picture is more stable and promising then.

pretty confident korea won't shut its borders long-term. it hasn't done so all year thus far.

it will be a mild bummer if entering on this visa doesn't work out. it's the ideal one for my current work patterns. i don't feel like finding an employer visa sponsor in korea (or japan for that matter). the work culture is naaaaat good.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-28 12:29:41)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6674|United States of America
What sort of barriers? My friend who moved there had to do like 2 weeks quarantine in seemingly a military barracks when she arrived, which seemed fairly reasonable.
uziq
+492|3441
that's been standard for the whole year. long-term visas can do it in a private accommodation of their choice.

UK flights have been cancelled to pretty much everywhere and will likely remain that way until mid-january. bit of an over-reaction considering the strain is already all over europe and most of the rest of the world, but there we are (the uk has the highest serology/sequencing activity but that's all much of a muchness).

every country is basically going to get as close to critical as possible in january, what with festive season and midwinter and all. this is the final covid bulge before we start to realistically get on the home straight of this thing. it's a bad time to travel and my best made plans are being slightly laid to waste.

UK arrivals now have to be tested beforehand, tested upon arrival, quarantine for 15 days, and tested before leaving quarantine. that all sounds reasonable to me, too. problem being they've cancelled flights, first until jan 3rd, now until jan 10th. korea detected their first examples of the 'uk' strain today so the alarm is high. could probably see flights being pushed back into february and march. by which time my visa will be running out.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6611|Little Bentcock
That unfortunate, sorry that happened to you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6095|eXtreme to the maX
Probably need to wait at least six months.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1876
Eh that sucks.

Were you going on a tourist visa?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6621|949

Year long work permit
uziq
+492|3441

Dilbert_X wrote:

Probably need to wait at least six months.
not possible, visa is a one-off.

nobody is cancelling flights for six months. did that even happen to your beloved china in the peak hysteria?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK hope it works out.
uziq
+492|3441
not the biggest deal if it doesn’t, but a fun opportunity missed yeah. looked like a great exit strategy from all the covid lockdown misery.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-28 22:35:21)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which visa do you have?
uziq
+492|3441
it's a H-1, working holiday. they're for age 24-30 people so if i miss this moonshot, i can't reapply in the future.

korea haven't banned flights in toto for the entire covid crisis, so that's one thing. but obviously the ground is constantly shifting, and if they lose control of their own case numbers (currently 1k per day steady) then, of course, it's their prerogative to shut down international travel. thus far their policy has seemed to be to keep international flights moving and to implement a pretty water-tight (not to say lucrative) quarantine process.

they've banned visa-free access to a number of countries throughout the year. again, no qualms from me with that. short-term tourists and holidayers should probably be kept away. but they've not banned returning nationals/long-term visa holders yet (aka 'the japan option'). japan seems very fond of totally shutting its borders on a dime, and doing so for months at a time. korea hasn't taken that route yet and i doubt they'll start doing it unless they become properly imperiled by a third-wave. there's probably a small amount of national jostling involved in the fact that they're 'not doing it like japan' tbh.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-28 23:54:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I thought you were doing remote working, can't you get a longer tourist visa?
uziq
+492|3441
tourist visas are 90-days and you're strictly not allowed to make an income as a tourist. obviously.

a long-term work visa, an E-type, would mean i am beholden to a korean employer. no thanks. i wanted a year to be my own boss and work as little as i wanted. H-1 officially gives you permission to work up to 20 hours a week, excluding some controlled/sensitive industries (e.g. entertainment and night-life).
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe you'd be better of spending 90 days in a few different countries, if you're remote working and not really working locally I don't think thats an issue in most cases. Short stay accommodation is pricier I guess.
If you're not up to no good repeat 90 day visas can be done.
uziq
+492|3441
it's a good plan B, yep, you're right. thanks for the suggestion. i have thought about that previously.

several problems in that much of the desirable locations in the region are not exactly visa-free traveller friendly at the moment, and i doubt they will be for most of 2021. japan, as noted above, is basically totally closed. if it's not a good time to move somewhere to settle for long-term, it's an even worse time to be transient and essentially backpack.

there's some popular visa flipping routes, busan->fukuoka in japan for one, but the border guards are pretty wise to it. you might get away with it once but they're not going to stamp you for the visa free entry on the third time.

some other personal ambitions/reasons meant i'd prefer to stay fixed in space, too. i'm intending on taking about £3k's worth of audio hardware, field recording microphone, sampler, etc, to continue my music-making out there. i don't really feel like carting around lots of very expensive and fragile audio gear from country to country. it's just nicer to have an apartment somewhere as a base.

the H-1 working holiday visa is a multiple entry one, i.e. i can use korea as that base and go off wherever i want, for however long i want.

anyway. most flight bans at the moment from various countries are until mid-january. let's see how it plays out.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-29 05:00:10)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I was thinking for after the point you're no longer eligible for a working holiday.
uziq
+492|3441
that'll be march 2nd assuming the nice kind lady at the republic of korea's embassy doesn't fancy giving my entry window an extension.

not sure what the reasoning is for a 3-month-from-issuance rule but hey ho.
uziq
+492|3441
the very kind lady told me in her learned bureaucratese that i am, as they say in the foreign office, shit out of luck.

so the hard deadline is early march. 8 more weeks in covid world. a lot can change. tune in next week for the next exciting episode ...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

You could always go stay in Dilbert's basement instead, unless he's occupying it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You can go pretty well anywhere for 90 days visa free, I don't know the process for getting a 6+ month tourist visa.
I think most places would be relaxed about remote working, as long as you're not displacing a local worker.

I wouldn't be carrying around cherished equipment, not with the risk of it getting lost or stolen in transit of from accommodation.
I know plenty of people who have had stuff stolen by luggage handlers, I think I lost a pair of headphones, gunboxes opened and guns messed with or stolen - the Australian Federal Police aren't even mildly interested.
Some airports here are wide open, carousels literally 10 paces from the access road so people can dart in and grab a case and be off. Fuck knows what asia is like.
At least get a pelican case with integrated locks and put it inside a battered old suitcase.

Otherwise there's always my basement.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6621|949

I had my house and car keys stolen by a luggage handler at BKK. The person helping me at the ticket counter prior to said theft even warned me to lock my bag and not put anything important into it.

My bag came down the carousel completely opened, with documents and some of my belongings trailing behind like a comet.

I remember one time at Heathrow I was being hassled by customs and afterwards I came to the baggage claim area and my bag was sitting alone on the ground. It had probably been there for over one hour.

I ordered a 70qt pelican cooler at the start of December, but it won't be here for another two weeks. Probably all the preppers ordering food storage containers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Anything important needs to go in a shoulder bag.

One time baggage handlers put the entire state teams gun cases with 'FIREARM' tags on the public carousel when they should go through a separate claim system where they check ID before handing over the bag, often they don't bother asking for ID.

One person I know had the locks cut off his gun box, guns taken out of their pouches and thrown back in to rattle around which caused a lot of damage.

The Pelican cases with padlock holes are fairly useless, the padlocks get torn off in normal baggage handling, they need to be thoroughly taped down and better put inside another case.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard