uziq
+492|3463

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

LMAO
didn't your own daddy go to a public school and enter into civil service? did he not subscribe to LMAO ideas like 'duty' and 'public service'? you've talked about him with those big tear-filled eyes of yours enough to give the impression that you put some stock in the idea.
No he went to a grammar school. Duty and public service somewhat, it was just a job at the end of the day.
how terribly déclassé.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX
People are the root of all evil, its why we need religion.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

how terribly déclassé.
He thought it hilarious he had Oxbridge double-firsts doing his filing when he didn't even go to university.
uziq
+492|3463
well, facetious or not, there’s a grain of truth in all that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Religion is the enabler of truly epic evil though.
uziq
+492|3463

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

how terribly déclassé.
He thought it hilarious he had Oxbridge double-firsts doing his filing when he didn't even go to university.
yes, but they got to go to boodle’s and white’s after work.
uziq
+492|3463

Dilbert_X wrote:

Religion is the enabler of truly epic evil though.
i don’t know, a bunch of self-avowedly secular-atheistic societies in the 20th century pretty handily committed genocides, caused famines, and embarked on global mechanised wars easily enough.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-21 04:11:58)

Larssen
+99|1899

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Under most systems its the most corrupt, venal and effective at knifing people who reach the top of politics.
Capitalism isn't unique in that.
correct. under any system based on economic classes then.
Any system you can think of will automatically develop a ruling elite. Read something after marx pls
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i don’t know, a bunch of self-avowedly secular-atheistic societies in the 20th century pretty handily committed genocides, caused famines, and embarked on global mechanised wars handily enough.
Yes, it may not look like progress but it is. Although the world came full circle with the Israelites enacting a pogrom today.
uziq
+492|3463

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i don’t know, a bunch of self-avowedly secular-atheistic societies in the 20th century pretty handily committed genocides, caused famines, and embarked on global mechanised wars handily enough.
Yes, it may not look like progress but it is. Although the world came full circle with the Israelites enacting a pogrom today.
progress in the scale and efficiency of the mass murder, i guess.
uziq
+492|3463

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Under most systems its the most corrupt, venal and effective at knifing people who reach the top of politics.
can you show me a classless society, outside of the Kingdom of Heaven?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Progress in that armies no longer by default put every man woman and child to the sword, and don't usually fight for some fictional nuttery.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6786|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

can you show me a classless society, outside of the Kingdom of Heaven?
nope. haven't seen one yet. does that mean the end of history (c)?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Larssen
+99|1899
Until we develop an AI that rules people we'll be stuck with dirty politics
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Why couldn't a true AI play dirty politics as well?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6786|Moscow, Russia
whatever you say. just stop bullshitting me with fairytales about accountability, resignations and apologies, k?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3463

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Progress in that armies no longer by default put every man woman and child to the sword, and don't usually fight for some fictional nuttery.
errr, before the 20th century it was incredibly rare for professionalized armies to wage war on the citizenry. look at the great wars of europe. soldiers razed food supplies and billetted in people's houses, but they didn't 'put women and children to the sword', only in exceptional circumstances. 'total warfare' was an invention of the industrial epoch.

atheistic-secular societies had no problem burning hundreds of thousands of women and children into sooty dust or glowing radioactive particles, however.
Larssen
+99|1899
Shahter if you want a system that's well governed, western Europe (not UK) is about as good as it gets. Power is divided along many constitutional lines and there's multiparty democracy + an independent judiciary.

It's much harder for demagogues to usurp power there or for people to fraud the system. And even if certain unsavory individuals attain power anywhere, they will be sufficiently checked by bureaucratic/legal/parliamentary constraints.
uziq
+492|3463
the UK’s constitutional system is much older than the european commission. please jump down off that dick.

‘much harder for demagogues to defraud the system’, LMAO, yes, because they’re not fucking elected in the first place and many major decisions take place behind closed doors of ‘consensus-making’. huge improvement chap.

have you read van middelaar’s triumphalist account of europe’s formation? probably the only political science book of recent times in which the term ‘coup’ is repeatedly used with approval and approbation.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-21 04:28:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Until we develop an AI that rules people we'll be stuck with dirty politics
Douglas Adams had the best idea, find the person who least wants to be ruler and give them the job.
Anyone who wants it is automatically disqualified.

Hence someone who lived with his cat on an otherwise uninhabited planet was deemed galactic ruler.
Larssen
+99|1899

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

errr, before the 20th century it was incredibly rare for professionalized armies to wage war on the citizenry. look at the great wars of europe. soldiers razed food supplies and billetted in people's houses, but they didn't 'put women and children to the sword', only in exceptional circumstances. 'total warfare' was an invention of the industrial epoch.

atheistic-secular societies had no problem burning hundreds of thousands of women and children into sooty dust or glowing radioactive particles, however.
Ehhhh no. The reason for the large amount of soldier deaths vs civilians in world war I was the dynamics of slow moving trench & (horse drawn) artillery warfare. Once blitzkrieg took over, things changed.

Many other wars saw their fair share of pillaging. In fact it was a pretty regular thing to do. Pre-napoleonic warfare was extremely brutal. The napoleonic wars also saw roughly the same amount of civilian deaths as military ones, like in WW2.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

And even if certain unsavory individuals attain power anywhere, they will be sufficiently checked by bureaucratic/legal/parliamentary constraints.
LMAO
uziq
+492|3463

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ehhhh no. The reason for the large amount of soldier deaths vs civilians in world war I was the dynamics of slow moving trench & (horse drawn) artillery warfare. Once blitzkrieg took over, things changed.

Many other wars saw their fair share of pillaging. In fact it was a pretty regular thing to do. Pre-napoleonic warfare was extremely brutal. The napoleonic wars also saw roughly the same amount of civilian deaths as military ones, like in WW2.
professional armies did not routinely massacre civilian populations. rape and pillage are constants of warfare, sure. but the military objective was not to decimate civilian populations. that came with later phases of warfare in which the workers and 'non-combatant' population were classed as part of the industrial war-making effort, and hence legitimate targets.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

That and they often didn't actually kill people directly, they just took all their food and slaughtered all their animals.
uziq
+492|3463
right. that's what i'm getting at. civilian populations were not targeted and murdered on a mass scale like they were in the firebombing of tokyo.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard