Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

pc gamer aesthetics are cancer. it doesn't stop with stupid tower chassis, either. peripherals, monitors, gamer chairs ... the whole thing is just full of extruded plastic and garish LEDs. truly some of the most tasteless tat in any consumer market.
Seriously tempted by this.

https://static.designboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/scorpion-chair-gaming-cluvens-designboom-001.gif
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

lol
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lol my arse, you'd buy one.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Even if I wanted a scorpion robot chair, I couldn't fit one at my workstation. Also your embed is broken.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So you've measured up.

Embed works fine for me.
uziq
+492|3422
embed doesn’t work for me on phone or laptop.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

So you've measured up.

Embed works fine for me.
Why do I have to measure up? I've got a small work space with just enough room for a sit and spin. That chair looks gigantic.

It's like I just know I won't be able to fit a giant van in my garage, without needing to get out a fucking tape measure to confirm..
Larssen
+99|1857
It looks like something disgustingly rich people would buy for their kids
Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

pc gamer aesthetics are cancer. it doesn't stop with stupid tower chassis, either. peripherals, monitors, gamer chairs ... the whole thing is just full of extruded plastic and garish LEDs. truly some of the most tasteless tat in any consumer market.
I liked it when I was a kid
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

From a techie perspective I understand some of the origins for the awe over fancy cases and garish LEDs. Cases used to be rather plain (and office-blocky, none of that sleek elegance you see nowadays), and then suddenly companies started offering ones that stood out. Blue LEDs used to be super expensive and really cool if you could get a hold of them, and are now everywhere. I used to have a green cold cathode in my Lian Li, while there was no side window, looked neat when shining through the many faceplate perforations. Turned it off most of the time.

I imagine stuff that people wanted as a kid, they can now get without permission from their parents since they're an adult with a job. Some of the same mentality probably helps boost console sales.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

kids aren't buying $300 chairs or $250 LED towers, though. it's man-children in their neon-lit man-caves.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

From a techie perspective I understand some of the origins for the awe over fancy cases and garish LEDs. Cases used to be rather plain (and office-blocky, none of that sleek elegance you see nowadays), and then suddenly companies started offering ones that stood out. Blue LEDs used to be super expensive and really cool if you could get a hold of them, and are now everywhere. I used to have a green cold cathode in my Lian Li, while there was no side window, looked neat when shining through the many faceplate perforations. Turned it off most of the time.

I imagine stuff that people wanted as a kid, they can now get without permission from their parents since they're an adult with a job. Some of the same mentality probably helps boost console sales.
I actually miss the beige towers of the 90's and early 2000's. Unfortunately no one makes them and they have poor air flow.

I am going to have to agree with your statement about adults driving hobby sales. I started getting into MTG after wanting to replace the stuff I threw away as a kid.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I've always thought "man cave" was a weird concept. Ushered into the garage or basement or whatever because that's the only place in your own house you're allowed to do what you want with? I mean stand up for yourself.

Even stranger when used by single men. "Hey guys I have a new man cave, check it out." Cringe.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I actually miss the beige towers of the 90's and early 2000's. Unfortunately no one makes them and they have poor air flow.
OK so I haven't looked but I imagine you can still find a ton of that sort of thing online. I could probably dig out at least three beige cases if I looked around storage long enough. It almost wouldn't feel right to mod them even for airflow, though I'd feel less bad about it if the case needed a bit of restoration anyway. They probably wouldn't look bad paired with the standard noctua colors.
Larssen
+99|1857
imho it's kinda sad in a way and I feel somewhat sympathetic. The image of a grown man chomping down on cheetos in his blue and green LED lit mancave behind a computer that looks like a transformer signals multiple severe issues. Lonely, probably single, invariably bad health and stuck in a cycle of childlike escapism from the world outside.
uziq
+492|3422
those generic towers with poor air flow don't exist anymore because the form-factor is redundant. now everything is in those tiny, miniaturized docks or media stations. you can fit any sort of home office or media playing machine in those. towers are indeed pretty unsightly and bulky if all you're doing is browsing the internet and watching youtube. better yet: an ipad.

i really like the micro/mini-ATX form factor for my gaming desktop. considering that i play games for maybe 5% of my total computing time, when the big graphics card and beefy PSU and 4x fancy designer fans etc are all needed, i'm glad i don't have a huge light-show tower sitting around for the other 95% of the time.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

imho it's kinda sad in a way and I feel somewhat sympathetic. The image of a grown man chomping down on cheetos in his blue and green LED lit mancave behind a computer that looks like a transformer signals multiple severe issues. Lonely, probably single, invariably bad health and stuck in a cycle of childlike escapism from the world outside.
an incredibly harsh generalization but indeed, if the subreddits dedicated to desktop set-ups are anything to go by, grimly borne out by too much reality.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

What's also sad is the jaggy light show doesn't even have to be like this. Nerd chassis doctrine could use an overhaul to carry it beyond the rut of obnoxiously throwing as much LED in your face as it possibly can, as constantly as it can.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

I feel personally attacked.

I feel about neck beards the same way I feel about sex workers. Regarding sex workers : In a world full of people whose job is to victimize others and make the world worse off, it's bizarre to focus so much derision towards people whose job is to give men a good time. And in a world full of people who go out to spread COVID, date rape at parties, commit gang violence, and generally victimize people in social setting, making fun of people whose worst crime is mouthing off to other homebodies on the internet is misguided.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've always thought "man cave" was a weird concept. Ushered into the garage or basement or whatever because that's the only place in your own house you're allowed to do what you want with? I mean stand up for yourself.

Even stranger when used by single men. "Hey guys I have a new man cave, check it out." Cringe.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

OK so I haven't looked but I imagine you can still find a ton of that sort of thing online. I could probably dig out at least three beige cases if I looked around storage long enough. It almost wouldn't feel right to mod them even for airflow, though I'd feel less bad about it if the case needed a bit of restoration anyway. They probably wouldn't look bad paired with the standard noctua colors.
You can find old ones online but literally no one makes them anymore probably owing to the fact that manufacturing cases is more resource intensive than most other very niche products.

But as Uzique said, they aren't practical. I don't think they even made many with USB ports on the front since the type of cases went out of style around the same time DVD were still cutting edge media.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You can probably resolve some of the front panel connectivity with one of those 5.25 hubs (I've seen them in older style colors). The biggest issue I think would be in cable management and airflow modding. Also you'll probably need a new power switch.
uziq
+492|3422
why on earth would anyone want to go through that much hassle to recreate an IBM or compaq aesthetic from 1998.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Why would anyone want to put so many lights in their computer that it looks like a warp engine? I dunno, I've seen old box done before. I guess it's because it's a pet project, they can, it's ironic, and it looks different from all the transformers and black monoliths we have today.

I've thought about doing it on a lark but nah.
uziq
+492|3422
guys, buy a macbook pro, put on some deodorant, shave that fucking thing off your top lip, and join the real world already.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The real world has covid-19 and people getting their organs rotted out in icu. Let's stay inside and make toasters into nintendos instead.

Anyway it's not something I'd likely do myself, but if I could think of one practical application to a new PC in a brown box it's that someone might be less tempted to steal a computer that looks like it was from the Reagan era.
uziq
+492|3422
covid-19 is a serious problem. i'm so bored sat inside all day that i'm seriously considering buying some shure 846s with my pocket change. it'll be a good investment for all that time on transport over the next year, right? right?!?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard