Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Whatever, they don't want the police messing with their drug supply.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Republicans are in some casye in favor of defunding the police only to remove another line in government budgets so they can further cut taxes. Trump was going along with this until the BLM thing of the early summer which is a cruel irony.

I don't support defunding the police. I think all communities need more policing but also better policing. Part of that better policing includes letting people buy and consume drugs as long as they don't do so in public. Home raids over petty drug use is an abomination.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

uziq wrote:

Finray wrote:

lol, the city I live is a great litmus test for how bad things have gotten. we finally got some public demonstrations of covid hoax protests!

https://old.reddit.com/r/dundee/comment … _in_force/

we even had a BLM protest in the summer
i wouldn't really conflate BLM with the weird anti-vaxxer/flat earth/david icke/'patriot independent free thinker' movements. BLM actually has an actual point. whether or not dundee is a hotspot for death in police custody is sort of besides the point. you can march in support of a cause.

the anti-vaxxer lot seem to tap into a weird subterranean underworld of facebook groups and 'public, community news'. you notice that a lot of the pizzagate/Qanon people are basically like suburban/small town mothers, who get dragged into the deep end of crazy with stories about 'child abduction', which sounds fair enough. but madeleine mccann it fucking ain't. i don't think they realise how quickly they start to lose grip of reality.
nah I wasn't comparing them at all, we just never get any public demonstrations at all really so whenever there's something, you know it's a hot topic on the world stage is all
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

10,000 people aren’t queuing up outside the oxford camera to take part in the test dilbert. these are huge trials undertaken in multiple countries over many months. mistakes can be made. that’s why statistical transparency in the results is important. and that’s why i said the media are semi-responsible for immediately running with ‘vaccine is 90% effective’ lines.

read the lancet article next week. maybe then you’ll sound less clueless.
Seems its a manufacturing error, not a field error, and they put out a misleading press release
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-28/ … d/12928128
uziq
+492|3422
no question the press releases before proper release of data/paper publication is stupid behaviour. i said that above, and it invites criticism. that's part and parcel of this whole unique covid situation. the norm in science publishing is actually press embargoes or timed release-day publicity.

whatever a 'manufacturing issue' means doesn't change the fact that the trial/results can still be adapted and still show great promise.

your much-bullied 'oksferd' aren't manufacturing the vaccine, either.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-27 14:45:48)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Most of California's hospitals are projected to be over capacity by mid December.

It's very hard for me to sympathize with people who do not give a fuck about other people and instead see a mask mandate, or bar/restaurant closures as an affront on liberty. I think about the very real possibility of never seeing my grandma again and it brings me to tears. It's very hard to suppress the anger I have for selfish people who refuse to do the bare minimum for the collective health, whether it's a personal decision not to wear a mask, to advocate for "business as usual", or to force underpaid employees to choose between working to live and potentially exposing themselves and their family.

I've never been more ashamed to be an American than I am right now.
lil_droo
+19|1465

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Most of California's hospitals are projected to be over capacity by mid December.

It's very hard for me to sympathize with people who do not give a fuck about other people and instead see a mask mandate, or bar/restaurant closures as an affront on liberty. I think about the very real possibility of never seeing my grandma again and it brings me to tears. It's very hard to suppress the anger I have for selfish people who refuse to do the bare minimum for the collective health, whether it's a personal decision not to wear a mask, to advocate for "business as usual", or to force underpaid employees to choose between working to live and potentially exposing themselves and their family.

did u guys shut down all dining? LA county banned all outdoor dining last week and also closed card rooms again. idk how to feel about the restaurant thing. ppl are still allowed to get haircuts and shit but u cant eat outside? i can feel for some of those restaurant owners. a lot of them jumped through a lot of hoops trying to make their place safe and following protocols and they get shutdown again. that shit kinda sucks especially when the government isn;'t handing out anymore aid
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Some people (one of whom used to post here) would call you selfish for not wanting to see your elderly family not suffer death by a horrible disease that could be avoided.

It's not like I'm not upset about the money lifelines of small restaurants, nail salons, etc. shuttering and driving people into poverty and bankruptcy. It's just that you'd think the UNITED STATES (and Republicans who care soooo much about small business) could help bolster the people who need it the most, while they need it, and keep America ready to get back on its feet.

lil_droo wrote:

did u guys shut down all dining? LA county banned all outdoor dining last week and also closed card rooms again. idk how to feel about the restaurant thing. ppl are still allowed to get haircuts and shit but u cant eat outside? i can feel for some of those restaurant owners. a lot of them jumped through a lot of hoops trying to make their place safe and following protocols and they get shutdown again. that shit kinda sucks especially when the government isn;'t handing out anymore aid
Stuff like supermarkets (albeit with lanes of traffic, social distanced lines all the way to the back of the store, and obsessive cleaning) allowed to stay open with no occupancy modifiers, while small marts with maybe two customers at a time have to be boarded up is problematic. Without explanation, people are just going to figure that those in charge of this policy making don't really know what they're doing.

cont'd, groceries: My dad beat the Thanksgiving crowd bulk on the day before by maybe an hour or two. I'd suggested that he shop earlier in the week to avoid crowds altogether, but he's a grown-ass man I guess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
All this can be dealt with intelligently at reasonable cost. Australia currently has a total of 61 active cases. If we hadn't continued letting in stranded citizens - and all their dependent relatives - we'd have 0.

"But Australia has lower population density"

90% Of people live in cities as dense as most places.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
After this winter of pain hopefully we will be close to the end of this thing. The U.S. government put up $8 billion to buy doses of vaccine. If the vaccines are even half as good as the drug companies say they are we should be able to start to fully reopen by the summer though we should continue to take safe measures by masking up and continuing remote work and even in some cases learning.

In less optimistic predictions, it will be a complete shit show getting people to take a vaccine and generally distributing it. I still predict we should get to 500,000 deaths before we manage to get this all under control. We are nearing 300,000 at it is.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"The vaccines are a device for Bill Gates to plant 5G virus-generating tracking devices in your children and Sleepy Joe will do nothing to stop the decimation of the White Race!"
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
Can I just take a second to say how excellent I think it is that "sleepy joe" is an actual slur used by the right? It's so perfectly childish and ill-formed. Really sums up the whole thing well, really.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-12-01 17:55:18)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The funniest one I heard from a QAnon person was that the vaccine was a way for the satanic child eating pedophiles to inject you with Jeffrey Epstein DNA.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Pochsy wrote:

Can I just take a second to say how excellent I think it is that "sleepy joe" is an actual slur used by the right? It's so perfectly childish and ill-formed. Really sums up the whole thing well, really.
You'd think, but that it spread so easily I guess makes it a successful slur perfectly tailored towards its audience. I just don't think it's a particularly insulting one?

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The funniest one I heard from a QAnon person was that the vaccine was a way for the satanic child eating pedophiles to inject you with Jeffrey Epstein DNA.
I'd be willing to believe that half the stuff on QAnon is written by trolls laughing their #*@ off.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You have to be ready to sacrifice for freedom Ken.
If it means sacrificing the odd high school to a mass shooting or the entire boomer generation so young people don't have to wear masks is that really too much to ask to maintain the greatest country in the world?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

No HBO miniseries about covid-19 in America would be complete without a bunch of fake characters muddling the actual history of those responsible.

Larssen Jr. will log onto bf20s to remark about how much it taught him.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
No HBO miniseries about covid-19 in America would be complete without a bunch of fake characters muddling the actual history of those responsible.

People in the future who didn't live through Trump would think the writers made up a bunch of stuff when they have him being a dummy in the show.

So the daily death toll just peaked for the first time since the spring outbreak. The amount of people hospitalized is double the amount hospitalized in the spring. And we are still a week away from being 2 weeks out from Thanksgiving Day.
Larssen
+99|1857

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Chernobyl was a fantastic series and I stand by that assessment
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

It's 2 weeks until Winter so naturally there is another fire evacuation in orange county. The county is in the "purple tier" as designated by the state authorities, which severely limits indoor gatherings. So far I think 5,000 homes have been evacuated. Usually local high schools and civic centers are turned into makeshift shelters for the evacuated. I cant help but worry about the potential for more super spreader events as a result of this.

Edit: I just checked, and because of covid they aren't opening up the usual evacuation sites and instead are advising people to go to hotels or friends and families.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Media needs to stop talking about covid in terms of how many 911s it is.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Larssen
+99|1857
What is it in terms of pearl harbours?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

What is it in terms of pearl harbours?
The correct measure is london buses, or maybe olympic swimming pools.
Larssen
+99|1857
Ah yes or football fields for our american friends.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard