SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I can see why people might be looking for a way to emigrate from Facebook apart from partisan politics. There has been a lot of punitive, unexplained moderation from staff including account and group shutdowns for minor reasons, inconsistent to accounts and groups allowed to stay open. Abuse of reports, ex: trolls getting away with finally getting someone to react and then getting them removed for it. Getting back on once you've been removed involves a lot of hoop jumping, and nothing's stopping them from removing you again without explanation. The company treats members like sack-of-garbage, unpaid employees; a bonus for Facebook being that they have no employee rights. A little appreciation for the people who help make the company money could go a long way. I would like to see them continue to exist as a social media company with no membership.

I find Twitter leaving fact-checks to be way more funny than just deleting posts.
Facebook just isn't fun. Probably stopped being fun when they let people not in college sign up. Social media was best when you could post ratchet stuff like drug abuse and sex without some authority figure seeing it or a Jay trying to report you to the authorities.

Posting politics to social media is cuck shit anyway. You aren't going to change the world by posting Trump propaganda to facebook. You are just going to alienate friends and family. I have stopped following people on FB when they got into MAGA. I only like seeing and posting happy stuff to facebook. Pets, children, accomplishments, selfies, etc. Keep the doom and gloom on reddit.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-11-15 18:57:45)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Any window for my participation has long since vanished. I've got a placeholder name with a bunch of misinformation in the bio so I don't get doxxed or junkmailed, and that's about it. I've been bombarded with horror stories about dealing with Facebook people and Facebook issues. I don't know why I'm apparently the guy to dump that on, maybe it's because I'm like the third party separate from it.

I've got a more real account on linkedin, but I don't used that either. I don't see that any of my business contacts there use it for a lot of business stuff either. I've probably also avoided wearing yet another hat ("social media manager," blergh) for my company as well. I can predict nothing good from getting a bunch of boomers brain dumping a bunch of non-company related stuff onto a "business social media platform." Already had to coach some of the more combative ones (usually the Facebook users) to stop looking for random negative feedback to fight with online. Well rated enough without possibly sabotaging everything by opening that can of worms.

Imagine calling a meeting where half the people in the room are 10-20 years older than you to lecture them on how to, for the betterment of the company, keep their mouths shut online. Would need some antacid recommendations.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Any window for my participation has long since vanished. I've got a placeholder name with a bunch of misinformation in the bio so I don't get doxxed or junkmailed, and that's about it. I've been bombarded with horror stories about dealing with Facebook people and Facebook issues. I don't know why I'm apparently the guy to dump that on, maybe it's because I'm like the third party separate from it.

I've got a more real account on linkedin, but I don't used that either. I don't see that any of my business contacts there use it for a lot of business stuff either. I've probably also avoided wearing yet another hat ("social media manager," blergh) for my company as well. I can predict nothing good from getting a bunch of boomers brain dumping a bunch of non-company related stuff onto a "business social media platform." Already had to coach some of the more combative ones (usually the Facebook users) to stop looking for random negative feedback to fight with online. Well rated enough without possibly sabotaging everything by opening that can of worms.

Imagine calling a meeting where half the people in the room are 10-20 years older than you to lecture them on how to, for the betterment of the company, keep their mouths shut online. Would need some antacid recommendations.
Does your company have an issue with people hitting "reply all" on announcement emails?

Also I will be greatly annoyed if I discovered you were secretly Jeff Bezos and never squashed Jay with your wealth.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Does your company have an issue with people hitting "reply all" on announcement emails?

Also I will be greatly annoyed if I discovered you were secretly Jeff Bezos and never squashed Jay with your wealth.
Thank goodness no.

As for the second, it would be an abuse of power. I guess that precludes me from being Bezos.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

https://twitter.com/kate_m_proctor/status/1328406683094315009?s=21

more noble heroic engineers !!!!
Looks like the accountants and marketing people fucked things up.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
yes the accountants were setting up the test rig that day and doing the tests.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The engineer reported the test results, the marketing people went off on their own and misrepresented them.
uziq
+492|3422
no, the people doing the testing on the day purposefully introduced an extra anti-flammable element that they knew would not be in the final product. they cheated the test.

so do you have the most difficult job ever where you’re given huge amounts of responsibility on your first week, or do you have a job with zero accountability where everything is the accountant’s fault?

pick one. engineers were involved in this testing and malfeasance. was there a gun to their head? no engineer in these companies realised they were cheating health and safety regulations for RESIDENTIAL CLADDING? i thought engineers were super smart?

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-17 01:05:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, they tested it in a certain way, it was then marketed it as being suitable for different untested situations.

If its my error its my error, if someone else takes a dumb decision outside my control its not my responsibility.

This is why its important to document every communication, make sure people are fully informed when they sign off - and make sure they do sign off - and why when the CEO and the marketing weasel tell you to stop using email and use the telephone and skype instead you know your ass is on the line.

In this case the engineer probably didn't do enough and his career is toast - a situation you'll never be in as you'll never do anything of significance or with any degree of risk.

Its not easy being a junior engineer in a big company surrounded by greasebags, as I tell every young engineer who asks - the most important skill you can learn is to tell people to go fuck themselves. This guy clearly didn't learn it early enough.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-17 01:19:51)

uziq
+492|3422
another completely blameless, naive, poor, set-upon engineer! and meanwhile 80 people are dead. oh well, they're mostly not white. best not be too mean with this holding-responsible stuff.

In this case the engineer probably didn't do enough and his career is toast - a situation you'll never be in as you'll never do anything of significance or with any degree of risk.
b-b-b-b-but i want to burn 100 people alive so that me and my friends can cash-in on under-the-table council deals for cheap cladding :'(

oh i'm so sad my career will never be this illustrious!

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-17 01:46:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, engineers set out to kill people. Maybe whichever moron decided the building needed a makeover to look prettier was culpable?

So anyway, how far into their prison stretches are the editor and publisher of Charlie Hebdo?

I'm guessing the graphic artist who actually drew the pictures had his degree and chartership annulled and was personally bankrupted?

I mean, a child would have known publishing that crap for a few francs and a bit of notoriety in the hipster community would have inevitably led to multiple deaths.
uziq
+492|3422
charlie hebdo's readership are 'hipsters'? do you know what that word means, grandpa? you're still toting it like it's 2012. it's almost quaint how confused and nonsensical you sound. charlie hebdo is more like private eye than a hipster youth magazine, you dipshit.

is everyone else supposed to think their jobs are small and unimportant because they don't involve risk of lethal fire? strange reasoning you have. then again, you think you're some sort of brave hero for, er, getting a bachelor of science without shooting yourself.

centre-stage in your own drama as the handsome leading man, no doubt.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Call them what you like, I look forward to seeing cartoonists jailed for manslaughter.

I still don't know why we didn't just put Salman Rushdie on a plane to Iran - didn't we have an extradition treaty?
uziq
+492|3422
do you lose sleep at night over the fact that authors and writers are people whose opinions are generally respected and read with interest? whereas you're a crank bloviating on an internet forum? you can't win them all, dilbert. you can't be the unacknowledged hero of society, tightening the nuts and bolts without being thanked, and also be the super-duper-most-interesting cultural commentator.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And a lot of them no-one gives a shit about except their fellow pseuds.
uziq
+492|3422
probably safe to say quite a few people have read and thought about salman rushdie's words.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its incredibubble, yeah well done Salman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pakistan 'to boycott French products' over cartoons
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54971409

When are the Hebdo people fronting a government inquiry.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Where did I say neoliberalism was leftism?

The point is the elite left has never given a shit about the average person and the country any more than the elite right has.
Would Obama or Biden have started to stick it to China the way Trump has? I doubt it.
rip DG

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
China has strongly rebuked the UK, the US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada after being accused of a concerted effort to silence critics in Hong Kong.

The countries, which form the Five Eyes alliance, criticised China's imposition of new rules to disqualify elected legislators in Hong Kong.

They urged Beijing to reverse course.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman warned countries to stay out of China's affairs saying: "They should be careful or their eyes will be plucked out."

"The Chinese never make trouble and are never afraid of anything," Zhao Lijian told journalists in Beijing on Thursday, saying it did not "matter if they had five or 10 eyes".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54995227

If we could just be nicer to them they will evolve into a liberal democracy.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Zhao Liljian is a troll. He's basically what would happen if Roger Stone or Steve Bannon managed to work their way into the state department- a lot of bluster so he can look good for the boss man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Except the Chinese govt really is starting border skirmishes with India and using trade as a weapon.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

The west often uses NGOs like the IMF and World Bank to impose their neoliberal policies, but they aren't immune to directly using the almighty dollar as a cudgel to make people play by their rules.

"Trade as a weapon" is sadly a standard in diplomacy these days, and often used to replace traditional colonialism in the west. I touched on this viewpoint before.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No fuck off.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for a "global mechanism" that would use QR codes to open up international travel.

"We need to further harmonise policies and standards and establish 'fast tracks' to facilitate the orderly flow of people," he said.

The codes will be used to help establish a traveller's health status.

But Human Rights advocates warn that the codes could be used for "broader political monitoring and exclusion".
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55039662

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard