Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

big news from the UK parliament today.
Great so the govt will pour billions down an open drain.

Black women have high mortality in childbirth everywhere in the world.
It must be racist doctors and nurses bumping them off.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
'they've had equal rights for 100s of years! what are they complaining about!'
Larssen
+99|1857
Dilbert it's quite understood by now that people of different races can, as a population, have different reactions to disease, medical issues and can have symptoms that may look different.

This is not an indictment of 'racist doctors', but of the fact that medicine as it is does not properly account for these differences. If a black person suffers from a developing skin condition for example, warning signs may be missed by a doctor who was trained through classes and textbooks that only showed the condition on white people.

It shouldn't be a controversial issue that people of all races need to get the same quality of care when they go to the NHS or a health provider in any other country.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-12 03:23:53)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Now poor American women will not know if the bearded UPS person at the door is a real delivery person or an imposter. Welcome to Newbies America.
Rapist Brock Turner of internet infamy alone is clean shaven. How many criminals are beardless? Your association of long hair and beards with criminality is utterly dated and imbecilic.

Spending so much time suspiciously side-eyeing the mountain man at the bar with his strawberry drink that you miss the actual sex offender creeping on you sounds like terrible advice. I know like half of the time you're just trolling and shit but ffs macbeth.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I understand what is going on here. You have a beard and you are personally offended by my suggestion that people who interact with the public shouldn't be allowed to grow copious amounts of facial hair.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
What did Santa do to you?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's more like that it's an inane argument. "Oh no UPS allows beards now all the bearded criminals are going to dress in brown and swoop in on the womens" /facepalm

RTHKI wrote:

What did Santa do to you?
He's roleplaying as a sexually frustrated 50-year-old right now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Mac's probably just mad about not being able to grow a beard that doesn't make him look like a scraggly cave troll with a collection of (missing) dog skulls in various states of polish.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There is some poor lady who is going to get attacked by a bearded man posing as a UPS driver that could have been stopped if the no beard policy was well known and followed. Soon tattoos will be allowed too which is the next step in the never ending path of social justice degradation. Never trust a person with a lot of tattoos.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Didn't you shrug off cop tattoos in an older post, or was that Hollis? Anyway it's still a dumb argument. "UPS allows beards so all the ZZ Top looking rapists will crawl out of the woodwork from absolutely nowhere to rape you," .

Also you can grow a beard. You can't really grow a tattoo. One's not a body mod. One is. Not perfectly comparable, are they. That said I wouldn't care if my UPS driver shows up nose ring and stretched lobes. I just want my package.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Hollis was okay with cop tattoos. I think tattoos should be automatically disqualifying for jobs in public safety. Tattoos say a lot about a person and it is almost never good.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If a tattoo doesn't tie them to hate groups or anything like that, I don't care. Of course I think it's less tacky if able to be concealed under a uniform, but that should be a decision made on a department-by-department basis.

Cop can look like Gimli for all I care as long as he exercises power justly, but of course a shaped beard would look better on a uniform.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert it's quite understood by now that people of different races can, as a population, have different reactions to disease, medical issues and can have symptoms that may look different.

This is not an indictment of 'racist doctors', but of the fact that medicine as it is does not properly account for these differences. If a black person suffers from a developing skin condition for example, warning signs may be missed by a doctor who was trained through classes and textbooks that only showed the condition on white people.

It shouldn't be a controversial issue that people of all races need to get the same quality of care when they go to the NHS or a health provider in any other country.
Maybe they get the same quality of care but the outcome is different?

White people die of skin cancer at higher rates, when is the govt going to do something about the sun being racist?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Honestly dilbert that's pretty dumb. Medical training not completely going over what skin conditions look like on different races have had a measurable effect on the quality of care. Nobody's sending the sun angry/critical letters except for Count Dracula.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

big news from the UK parliament today.
Its OK, the Met Police now have to recruit 40% BAME, that'll fix it.

Glad I'm not a white person trying to get a job with the met.
uziq
+492|3422
i thought you hated the police anyway because you were involved in a tom clancy spy plot with them involving pedophile rings and nuclear codes?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No nuclear codes, of course I don't hate all Police, just the corrupt ones.

Anyway, we more than fucked them up, bad luck for them.
Larssen
+99|1857
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 … -artefacts

Good article and has been on my mind recently in the wake of all the protests on BLM and colonial legacy in general. It's sure to appear again in the future: alongside removal of statues also the question whether or not museums should be emptied of all their artifacts imported in imperial times.

Personally I really don't feel very comfortable with efforts to systematically erase or dismantle the colonial era from our histories and untangle cultures to retroactively construct some fantasy of separated peoples and 'pure' ethnic-cultural environments to which historic outside influence is only considered a problem.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-21 04:34:28)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Museums should probably return their artefacts - to be smashed to dust or sold to the highest bidder - because thats what will happen to most of them.

Most of the world is in a much better situation than it would have been without colonialism, people should remember that while they're dismantling it.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Most of the world is in a much better situation than it would have been without colonialism, people should remember that while they're dismantling it.
for you and your family, you mean?

i suggest you do some reading on the concept of 'economic underdevelopment' and its political economy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Museums should probably return their artefacts - to be smashed to dust or sold to the highest bidder - because thats what will happen to most of them.

I do support returnism, but not necessarily mindless returnism. Obviously, not every country an artifact gets returned to is going to bash it into powder. That they would is an argument used to justify ongoing historical injustice of war and peacetime looting.

But while we're hashing over countries stable enough to return priceless human heritage to so that they can be the producers of their own history, a lot could be done to bring museums up with the times. They could, for instance, stop depicting non-western people as primitive and unchanging. Maybe remove all the African skulls on display. A little #*&@ respect, maybe?

I can't imagine that many Americans, for instance, would be pleased about the Chinese raiding the ruins of an old west ghost town, digging everyone up, stealing everything they can, and then creating a macabre display in Beijing with a heavily propaganda'd bent. Eastern thought echo chamber!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i suggest you do some reading on the concept of 'economic underdevelopment' and its political economy.
I have been to Wales, I have relatives there (on the non-Norman side obviously)
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am pretty meh regarding artifacts at all. Museums already don't have the space to display all of them. Once they are cataloged just put them in a bomb proof cave like the Nazis did.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

I have been to Wales, I have relatives there (on the non-Norman side obviously)
so was colonialism good for india? which part, exactly? was it the giant forced de-industrialisation of their booming textiles industry, so that british mills could gain foothold?

why might an imperial order or global capitalist system want to keep vast areas underdeveloped and poor, in the same way that the market ideally desires an amount of 'surplus labour' to be unemployed or systematically under-employed, for its effects on wages? why might metropolitan and industrial centres benefit from a ready-made workforce of poor migrants with relatively little legal rights or union protections? does the global system want to admit all nations onto an equal parity, as competitors in an open marketplace, or does it want to keep half of them as interest-paying debtors? i wonder why?

really make u think. 'colonialism improved the world for everyone'. yes, ok. if you lived in a georgian terrace in bath, maybe.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-22 03:20:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard