Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Pretty sure plenty of people have been saying from day one suppression is the only option, with that failed - in most countries and therefore the world - we have nothing.

When will we thank China for aggressively sending their infected citizens abroad when they were locking their own country down?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
If America wasn't divided due to identity politics, COVID could have been a turning point against China. The U.S. could have led a global coalition to move production away from China but instead we had a reality T.V. host as a leader who has done more to divide Americans than anything else since slavery.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Great, but the average chemist can't exactly jump straight into virological research.
So what? Is every mathematician going to jump straight into theoretical astrophysics?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
An eighth grader in Franklin County died over the weekend from complications caused by the coronavirus, marking the first death under the age of 18 in the state.

Officials from Washington Middle School said Peyton Baumgarth died over the weekend after developing symptoms from COVID-19. He was 13 years old.
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/kmov.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/aa/caaade64-1cbb-11eb-a41e-b7dc2a7d56dc/5f9f7d9d9ef5e.image.png?resize=400%2C225

Really sad loss.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think Washington has done relatively well compared to the rest of the country. People are generally following the rules, which helps. But some of the measures don't make sense to me. Close a little food mart with maybe two visitors in an hour, but leave open the supercenter with social distanced lines all the way to the back of the store. Meddle with distribution of construction supplies except those involved in state projects (?). Room for improvement. I think some of the blame can be apportioned to Inslee, and other can rightfully be sent to federal Republicans and the president for sabotaging things every step of the way. Some of the incompetence and nonsense creates an opening for BuT tHE EcOnoMy grumblers to make at least partially reasonable complaints.

Why Washington state’s guidelines to open schools are more cautious than others
https://www.seattletimes.com/education- … an-others/

Granted, the state "doing relatively well" is probably scant comfort to the family of this poor kid. But it could be worse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

An eighth grader in Franklin County died over the weekend from complications caused by the coronavirus, marking the first death under the age of 18 in the state.

Officials from Washington Middle School said Peyton Baumgarth died over the weekend after developing symptoms from COVID-19. He was 13 years old.
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/kmov.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/aa/caaade64-1cbb-11eb-a41e-b7dc2a7d56dc/5f9f7d9d9ef5e.image.png?resize=400%2C225

Really sad loss.
He probably didn't have long anyway.
uziq
+492|3423
come on, now, what do you think jay looked like in his larval stage? and he grew up into a lovely toilet plunger.

some people really do just have had genes. remember all the swill and muck from europe populated america. like australia.
uziq
+492|3423
https://www.theguardian.com/environment … tists-warn

i expect dilbert to be furious at the disgusting danes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Danish Mink Flu doesn't have the same low-key bigoted appeal as Chinese Bat Flu.
Larssen
+99|1858
One rather important contrast is that the Danes are taking action early as possible and warning the rest of the world though. The Chinese made no such attempt, and while I won't ever align with the bigots it's clear the CCP government structurally suppressed and underplayed the disease until it couldn't be hidden anymore. Even now not just denying culpability but calling the virus 'the west's problem'.

I don't think you can find greater proof that the regime is shaping into a great new authoritarian/fascist hellhole, the ultimate destiny of such a regime a recurring tale in history of insane violence.
uziq
+492|3423
yes but barbaric practices, do we even need to keep mink in cages, we shouldn't have any contact with the animal world, barbarous culture, etc ...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I think the greatest evidence for that was when they repealed term limits and inserted Xi and his political ideology into the CCP constitution. I think the persecution of the Uighers in the east is a better indicator of slipping into fascism too

The clampdown on information-sharing caused far more damage to the west than it did internally to China. By design.
Larssen
+99|1858
You are right, but this particular episode deeply impacting the west will I believe play out in a big way when the dust settles and the (hi)story of the pandemic is established. They remain out of view now because everyone is too busy to deal with the immediate problems, but it won't stay that way when people are allowed a breather and books, articles, documentaries, films etc start to flood the public conscious.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-05 14:11:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

yes but barbaric practices, do we even need to keep mink in cages, we shouldn't have any contact with the animal world, barbarous culture, etc ...
It really would be best if we left the animal world alone, there's really no need.

Or we can keep bothering animals and encroaching on their territory and catch their diseases.
At this point I don't care, the system will look after itself, in a million years traces of humanity won't even be detectable - unless we turn the planet into a burning rock. Its about 50:50.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-05 15:10:01)

Larssen
+99|1858
At this point the only way we're going extinct is nuclear war or a huge meteor. I think we're good.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think the caves of China and jungles of the Congo have plenty more gifts we haven't even thought of.
Plus of course the Chinese are weaponising them as we speak.
uziq
+492|3423
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n21 … lientelism

this is the sort of piece we’ve been waiting for on the absolute cronyism of the current U.K. govt’s mishandling of covid. shocking stuff. all the usual guff about private sector solutions and the ‘quicker responses’ of business over the state, blah blah blah ...

Kleptocracies are bad places to live. People die poorer, younger. The trains do not run on time. In Britain, a culture of cronyism has contributed to one of the worst Covid-19 outbreaks in the world, from the failures of outsourced Test and Trace to the increasingly confused messaging provided by party political appointees. Decisions that were once the preserve of secretaries of state are now made by gauche special advisers with little experience beyond a stint at Vote Leave or a Tufton Street think tank. When Moody’s downgraded the UK’s credit rating on 16 October, it cited ‘the weakening in the UK’s institutions and governance’.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-07 03:18:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not that they want cronies in charge and delivering policy, its that they want no policy delivered and putting a dud crony in charge achieves that nicely.

It could be they wanted a period of no governance so people would be overjoyed when American private enterprise rode in to the rescue.

I believe Johnson wanted to pull a Blair and make a fortune in America, like Blair he didn't give a shit what state Britain or the world was left in.
uziq
+492|3423
i doubt he was money motivated. he was making millions off his journalism/tv and connections anyway. he was close to russian billionaires and media tycoons before he even attained high office (and continued to be so, problematically, whilst foreign secretary). he was the mayor of london, a plum job for money and business/city contacts, with much less scrutiny than the top job.

boris just wanted power from a very early age. unaccountable power. he’s never forgot the feeling of being top boy at eton. the world is just an enlarged stage for the same piffling schoolboy drama.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia
five of the warehouse workers employed by the firm my wife works for called in sick today. the other five are working, even though some have fever. all of them have been told by the management that if anyone calls for medical help and tests positive for covid-19 they'll be immediately fired.
there are times when i really want to kill some people. like, bash their heads in and strap the corpses to a light post somewhere in the middle of moscow.

Last edited by Shahter (2020-11-09 00:37:06)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3423
wow communist paradise has great worker’s rights! you should applaud putin some more. maybe it’ll help.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia
find me a post where i allpaud putin or call russian worker's rights anything but abysmal or gtfo.

Last edited by Shahter (2020-11-09 00:43:23)

uziq
+492|3423
it’s almost as if some of the liberal opposition you cheered being murdered might have reformed the system. but no, the only states with worker’s rights and rules for lawful dismissal had revolutions!!! wait ...
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

it’s almost as if some of the liberal opposition you cheered being murdered might have reformed the system.
did you read a reform program proposed by said "liberal opposition"? no? gtfo.
uziq
+492|3423
you do realise almost every liberal, non-revolutionary, non-communist government in western europe has worker’s rights? you do know that a legal citizen couldn’t be dismissed from their workplace in those circumstances just about, well, anywhere?

what sort of modern russia do you think putin’s opponents envisage? perhaps they want to become more like turkmenistan?

really make you wonder. anyway good luck. keep laughing when anyone who wants to change russia ends up in a red pool on the pavement. you sound very wise!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard