DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Doesn't seem anyone ever mentioned Connery in this thread.
Larssen
+99|1857
He had a long life, a great career, and spent his time doing whatever he wanted. Don't think any of us could wish for more.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Well that explains my ghost situation then. I was visited by the ghost of Sean Connery.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

He had a long life, a great career, and spent his time doing whatever he wanted. Don't think any of us could wish for more.
Also avoiding tax.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
He died in his 90's in his sleep in the Bahamas. That's as smooth of a death for a James Bond you can get.
uziq
+492|3422
with a wife of 40 years, too. well played, he's levelled up to the next content tier.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Newsweek didn't wait very long before pointing this out:

Amid Tributes, Sean Connery's Views on Slapping Women Have Been Largely Overlooked
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amid- … r-BB1azZnn

Slapping to win an argument, not even to defend yourself against physical assault. Yikes.

Bill Murray is kind of a hero-worshiped dick too, but in a different way.
uziq
+492|3422
he grew up working-class in scotland, most scots still think robbie burns is alive and keep their cattle in the house with them. of course a slap is harmless.
Larssen
+99|1857
A guy born in 1930 in some poverty backwater had regressive views on gender equality, whodathunkit.

He was famous for acting not for having a functioning brain
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
As a domestic violence counselor from Morocco, I am really bothered by you guys condoning his violence against women.
uziq
+492|3422
i’m definitely not condoning it. this matter of ethics always comes up when writing obits. in fact, it’s a favourite pastime of theirs to write essays or commentaries on this very subject. i bet you can find extensive pieces by the obit writer of the times or whatever that goes into it.

there is such a thing as tact when talking about someone in the wake of their death. nobody leads a perfect life and there are conventions and graces when it comes to dealing with their sins, whether minor peccadilloes or major transgressions. (i recall an obit writer on a podcast talking about having to write one for osama bin laden ... eesh).

in terms of gender politics, well. it’s probably fair to say that a fair number of ww2 veterans go to their grave with unreconstructed views on gender or race. do we write 3 paragraphs celebrating their public service or do we go in hard on grandpapa sgt-major pyke for his views on african-americans?
Larssen
+99|1857

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yikes.
I'm coming to realise I have a passionate hatred for this word and similar exclamations like 'oof' and 'eugh' or 'wow'. Or 'yaas' for that matter. Why would you ever choose to write like this. It reads like the closure to some terrible joke in a sitcom or family guy. Like the verbalisation of the eye roll emoji. Perhaps, more accurately, how I imagine teenagers close their sentences to eachother on whatsapp when gossiping about their friend who showcases even more pimples and autistic behaviour than the rest of them. It's shit lingo. The sort of stuff I expect in YA novels. It's not even just in writing, if someone were to say this to me in any context I don't think I could hide my disgust.

No offence, I just intensely dislike these 'expressions'.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-01 12:31:38)

uziq
+492|3422
unnamednewbie IS the protagonist of a YA novel. he’s a werewolf trapped in the body of a man who is in love with children’s movies.
Larssen
+99|1857
Sean connery would've known how to deal with this behaviour
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Larssen wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yikes.
I'm coming to realise I have a passionate hatred for this word and similar exclamations like 'oof' and 'eugh' or 'wow'. Or 'yaas' for that matter. Why would you ever choose to write like this. It reads like the closure to some terrible joke in a sitcom or family guy. Like the verbalisation of the eye roll emoji. Perhaps, more accurately, how I imagine teenagers close their sentences to eachother on whatsapp when gossiping about their friend who showcases even more pimples and autistic behaviour than the rest of them. It's shit lingo. The sort of stuff I expect in YA novels. It's not even just in writing, if someone were to say this to me in any context I don't think I could hide my disgust.

No offence, I just intensely dislike these 'expressions'.
Of course now that you've commented on it twice, I'll put in extra effort to use words like "yikes," "wowsers," and "ruh-roh." Seems like a strange thing to get hung up on, but then I don't like using "oof" either.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/le-miiverse-resource/images/1/12/Wow.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150829150030

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie IS the protagonist of a YA novel. he’s a werewolf trapped in the body of a man who is in love with children’s movies.
If I'm going to be a YA protagonist, I want Harry Potter's wealth without the dead parents and deadly adversaries. I guess I could say the same about Bruce Wayne.

Harry Potter is Batman.
uziq
+492|3422
lmao
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

i’m definitely not condoning it. this matter of ethics always comes up when writing obits. in fact, it’s a favourite pastime of theirs to write essays or commentaries on this very subject. i bet you can find extensive pieces by the obit writer of the times or whatever that goes into it.

there is such a thing as tact when talking about someone in the wake of their death. nobody leads a perfect life and there are conventions and graces when it comes to dealing with their sins, whether minor peccadilloes or major transgressions. (i recall an obit writer on a podcast talking about having to write one for osama bin laden ... eesh).

in terms of gender politics, well. it’s probably fair to say that a fair number of ww2 veterans go to their grave with unreconstructed views on gender or race. do we write 3 paragraphs celebrating their public service or do we go in hard on grandpapa sgt-major pyke for his views on african-americans?
Jinkies this is pretty tasteless coming from the forum's premier spousal abuser. Haven't you learned from the bisexual women of Social Justice Twitter that condoning stuff like wife slapping can't be forgotten or forgiven?
uziq
+492|3422
hahah i've never laid my hands on a woman in my LIFE!

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

I'm of mixed minds on this. I think the most tact should be reserved for dealing with an inner circle of mourners. But if, amidst a thousand puff pieces targeted towards non-relation readers, one story calls to sense and points out reasons why a dead actor's reputation should probably be knocked down a peg or two, I'm fine with that too. When Bill Murray dies, I'm sure the internet will be overflowing with social media grief. But the man is apparently pretty beastly to work with.

If Sgt Pyke went into acting and spent a few interviews talking about beating up black people to put them in their place or whatever, I'd of course expect to see it brought up after his death at least once among all the "oh no, Pyke died? Worst year ever" sentiment. If he became a carpet salesman after leaving the military, his death probably wouldn't make international news.

Doesn't mean I'm crossing my fingers and hoping these guys die, or am thrilled when a low-key jerk kicks the bucket. I'll leave that for characters like this:

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

hahah i've never laid my hands on a woman in my LIFE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm593UgXoi4
I knew a guy who went on that show. His wife later knifed him
It seems that one Wife Swap participant might should of stayed with her new family! Season 2 alum and former Miss Teen New Jersey Jamie Czerniawski has been arrested for stabbing her husband Charles with a knife during a fight in their Freehold, New Jersey home on May 26. Jamie Czerniawski, 30, tells The New York Post that she acted in self defense, saying “I was so scared I just closed my eyes [and struck him] … If I didn’t do it, I would’ve been dead.”

Jamie claims the couple had just returned home at 1AM when a phone call from a mutual male friend sparked her husband Charles, 34, into a jealous rage. She says Charles told her, “If I can’t have you, no one can,” just after grabbing her wrists. She broke free and picked up a knife. Next, she says, Charles pinned her to the floor with his knees and that’s when she stabbed/slashed him.

Charles Czerniawski has “spent two days in intensive care, lost four pints of blood and hasn’t regained use of his right arm,” according to The Post. He disputed his wife’s claim that the attack was in self-defense, and his lawyer says his client will give “a detailed account of the true events” in court.
tl:dr, the wife was cheating on her husband with a firefighter. The husband had her phone and wasn't giving it back so she stabbed him.

This is first of two reality show people I knew. The other guy got beat up by Gordon Ramsey on set.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I know a guy that was an on an MTV reality show called the "Tool Academy". He said he agreed to it bc he and his chick got a free trip to Mexico to film it. They were eliminated after about a week.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
RIP Trebek.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Nooooooooo
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Hopefully Ken Jennings takes over as host. Jeopardy was a staple in my house growing up. Many fond memories of watching with my whole family. Truly a sad day
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard