Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

why would he say it's a religion in crisis in response to a terror attack in france? what's the connection between that and sunni-shia?

the vagueness and casual elision of these matters is what makes it easy to portray him as a crusader who is specially singling out islam for some time-tested, age-old european laundering.

If we're talking about the relationship with regards to the west, the fact is that quite a few Islamic schools, through their dogmatism, rigidity, idealisation of the first caliphate, have a (very) hard time accepting or tolerating any progressive social ideas let alone western cultural norms, media or social practices. Qutb's writings weren't the ravings of a madman, and much of it perfectly defensible in the context of his environment. In the advent of a smaller and technologically connected world, that isolationist fundamentalism can be termed as a crisis within the religion as well.
to be sure, everything from the muslim brotherhood onwards is a fascistic strain in islam. but not an existential threat to the west, nor was it in 2001, either. only ever construed that way by right-wing conservatives and warhawks. the bigger terrorist threat to western nations thesedays is posed by the far-right, as recent FBI reports have portrayed - who, incidentally, love to portray the majority of law-abiding, peaceful, tax-paying muslims as 'threats' to society and 'incompatible' with our way of life.

again, really seems worth pissing off 1/4 of the world's population for. qutb and wahhabism, those enormous threats.
You know I went and watched the speech and he addresses all of this, in a very measured manner. The fact that the guardian and other pundits analyse this as 'Macron inciting hatred against all of Islam!' is such a terrible interpretation I don't even know where to start. Actually, it may even be an intentional misreading and frankly considering how in depth and extensive he is I find that in itself an affront. Deliberate misrepresentation.

I found an english text translation on the diplomatique website, here's a segment of the controversial speech:

Macron wrote:

There’s been a lot of very in-depth writing, description and analysis about what our country is experiencing in this regard. I’ll be humble enough not to claim to be an expert, but in a few words, to share things as I see them. Islam is a religion that is currently experiencing a crisis all over the world. We’re not just seeing it in our country, it’s a deep crisis linked to tensions between forms of fundamentalism, specifically religious and political projects which, as we’re seeing in every region of the world, are leading to a very strong hardening, including in countries where Islam is the majority religion. Look at our friend Tunisia, to take just one example. Thirty years ago, the situation was radically different in the way the religion was applied, the way it was lived, and the tensions we’re experiencing in our society are present in that one, which is undoubtedly one of the most educated and developed in the region. So everywhere there’s a crisis of Islam, which is being infected by these radical manifestations, these radical impulses and the desire for a reinvented jihad, which means the destruction of the Other. The project for a territorial caliphate which we fought against in the Levant, which we’re fighting in the Sahel, and everywhere the most radical, more or less insidious forms of it. This crisis affects us by definition too.

In addition to this, external influences and systematic organization by political powers and private organizations have pushed these most radical forms. It has to be said that we’ve let it happen, both at home and abroad. Wahhabism, Salafism, the Muslim Brotherhood – many of these manifestations were also, initially, peaceful for some. Their discourse has gradually deteriorated. They themselves have become radicalized. They’ve promoted messages of separation, a political project, radicalism in the denial of gender equality, for example, and through external funding, through indoctrination from outside, they’ve reached the heart of our country.

This reality affects us, strikes us. It’s grown in recent years. It needs to be named.

Added to this is the breeding ground where everything I’ve just described has grown. We ourselves have built our own separatism. It’s the separatism of our neighborhoods, it’s the ghettoization which our Republic – initially with the best intentions in the world – has allowed to occur; in other words, we’ve had a policy, it’s sometimes been called a settlement policy, but we’ve created a concentration of abject poverty and difficulties, and we’re very aware of this. We’ve crowded people together often according to their origins, their social backgrounds. We’ve concentrated educational and economic difficulties in certain districts of the Republic. Despite the efforts of elected representatives, of the Republic’s prefects, whose commitment I pay tribute to, we haven’t been able – precisely because of this – to rebuild sufficient integration, and above all, we haven’t managed to keep up with this phenomenon in terms of educational and social mobility. In this way we’ve created neighborhoods where the promise of the Republic has no longer been kept, and therefore where there was an attraction to those messages, those most radical configurations, which were sources of hope, which delivered and are delivering – let’s be clear – solutions to educate children, learn the languages of origin, care for elderly people, provide services and enable sport.

Basically, what the Republic no longer provided, because it was overwhelmed by its own difficulties, because it had sometimes gone backwards in terms of public services – those organizations promoting this radical Islam systematically took over from them. And so they built their project – again systematically – on the basis of our withdrawal and sometimes our cowardice. That’s why the shortcomings of our integration policy, of our battles against discrimination, racism and anti-Semitism – each of which feeds the others – have also gradually encouraged this development.

Added to all this is the fact that we’re a country with a colonial past and traumas it still hasn’t resolved, with facts that underpin our collective psyche, our project, the way we see ourselves. The Algerian War is part of this, and basically this whole period of our history is being replayed, as it were, because we’ve never unpacked things ourselves. And so we see children of the Republic, sometimes from elsewhere, children or grandchildren of today’s citizens of immigrant origin from the Maghreb and sub-Saharan Africa, revisiting their identity through a post-colonial or anti-colonial discourse. We see children in the Republic who have never experienced colonization, whose parents are on our soil and whose grandparents have been for a long time, but who fall into the – again deliberate – trap of some others who use this discourse, this form of self-hatred that [they say] the Republic should nurture against itself, but also taboos we ourselves have maintained that make their origins mirror our history and also fuel this separatism. I’m systematically distinguishing each of these elements, but they all blend into the reality of our lives. They all blend together and feed off each other. And the political project, by the way – that’s why I called it Islamist separatism, because it sometimes even strays from strict religion into a specially-designed project – well, it mixes up all these realities, but they are there.
This section is a pretty bad translation but the gist is to not stigmatize all muslims. He even says it before all the above:

If you want to tell things as they are and believe that millions of our citizens live in the Republic as full citizens and believe in Islam, you’re told “you’re naive, you’re covering up for them, you aren’t facing up to the problem. If we want to address the abuses I’m talking about, including in their most radical forms, we fall into the trap of stigmatizing a whole religion.
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/comin … uel-macron

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-28 11:33:21)

Larssen
+99|1883
Also a welcome respite from Trump to hear someone speak who can form coherent thoughts and do so eloquently. He's a great speaker.
uziq
+492|3448
but you yourself are using this rhetoric to launch off on ranting platforms about 'fuck turks' and 'multiculturalism has failed', which isn't what macron is saying at all?

why are you spouting this populist claptrap about the total failure of muslims to integrate, a deepening crisis for europe, threats on the border, etc?

you are literally lapsing into 'stigmatising a whole religion'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-28 11:38:07)

Larssen
+99|1883
Quite expected that when you first rant and rave about the guy inciting hatred all over the ME you now turn to saying that it was me all along who did so. First off, I never at ANY point said, insinuated or even implicated that all Turks are terrible people. In MANY different posts I've highlighted that it's not at all most or a majority who are part of a very nationalistic subset. It's incredible that even after including tons of disclaimers you still try to pin me on this horseshit, just like that guardian analyst who nitpicked a single sentence in that entire speech. Secondly, I explicitly said fuck turkey as in the country. That should be beyond obvious. It is Erdogan who has completely destroyed any notion of a secular, democratic society in that country, and who also does all he can to incite nationalism and hatred among his emigrant diaspora.

I merely defended the notion that Islam is in crisis, perhaps not as incredibly extensively as the above, but many of the exact same arguments.
uziq
+492|3448
i'm sorry but none of those things he named -- wahhabism, salafism, the muslim brotherhood; AQ, ISIS, etc -- are even in the same ballpark as turks doing national service and being patriotic despite living in germany/the netherlands/the UK, and so on. erdogan is a right-wing strongman but turkey is still a secular nation with a secular military. it is not even remotely close to a clerical state like saudi arabia.

you tied together macron's speech with claims that 'many people think multiculturalism has failed', and pinned the blame on turks and other law-abiding, non-terroristic migrant groups who still show support for their home lands. that's so fucking different from a disaffected youth becoming radicalised by ISIS. even linking the two together as 'proof' that europe has a multicultural problem is dangerous. you are stigmatising an entire religion, there, and suspecting innocent, law-abiding citizens and honest migrants with the very most radical and extremist sects on the planet. erdogan is NOT that, for all of his chauvinism and hard-man posturing. he's not encouraging anyone to cut off heads or detonate bombs in crowds for glorious martyrdom. you are smearing an entire religion, the GREAT majority of which have no interest in that whatsoever.

i've already made my point about why your alarmism and scaremongering over erdogan's very real and very culpable nationalism doesn't make any fucking sense when you're so blasé about the resurgent nationalisms within europe's borders. so erdogan is the great international pariah, doing the unforgivable, but you're still willing to sit at the table and consider poles and hungarians as european bedfellows? doesn't. make. any. fucking. sense.

lastly, macron's speech puts due emphasis on the colonial aspect. as i said above. it's very easy for these regions and communities to see and remember the unresolved pains caused by the french empire, specifically in algeria, where france was the cynosure of the islamic world -- before and above even the USA -- for its brutality and bloodshed directed towards muslim independence fighters. this is why his comments are easily inflammatory to muslims around the world: the symbolic place and individual from whence they come. that is again VERY different from placing the failure of integration on 'incompatible' foreigners or 'a religion in crisis'. that's taking responsibility as a nation for their own colonial history. you don't seem interested in that at all: you've barely even glossed it. you're too busy ranting about how all muslims in the west are suspect, doing national service for their home militaries, etc, as if that's hugely worrying behaviour. how many turks have committed terror attacks in the west after doing national service? didn't turkey fucking arrest some of the belgian ISIS attackers?

you slip into this populist-rightwing cant quite a lot whenever you talk about anything that is evidently close to you and your pondlife low countries origins. maybe you're echoing the boilerplate racism and suspicion of your great uncle or parents back home in loosdrecht or wherever the fuck. you take a little too much glee in placing the blame at the foot of completely ordinary, minding-their-own-business citizens. most muslims feel as far away and alienated by the actions of wahhabists as you or i. but you're just like the le pen voters who lap up these speeches and see in it an excuse to talk once again about 'incompatible values' and 'the failure of muslims'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-28 11:59:29)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Azerbaijani drone strikes on Armenian soldiers. This is like the 50th one Azerbaijan released.
https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/ … _armenian/

Are these the moderate Muslims Uzique is speaking of? Invading a region full of Christians who want no part of their Islamic Republic. This is the end result of Muslims living anywhere near non-Muslims once the Muslim have the power to do it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
armenia are partly responsible for hostilities over nagorno-karabakh. it's not a cut-and-dry issue.

but you keep watching your internet gore. you're really a very normal person.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Who is invading who again? The Muslims if they win will ethnically cleanse the Christians. If the Armenians win, they get to keep their homes.

NoT a CuT aNd DrY iSsUe!
uziq
+492|3448
nagorno-karabakh is internationally recognised as azeri, dipshit.

armenian military have been killing azeri civilians with missile strikes.

it's not a cut-and-dry issue.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

uziq wrote:

nagorno-karabakh is internationally recognised as azeri, dipshit.

armenian military have been killing azeri civilians with missile strikes.

it's not a cut-and-dry issue.
Do the Christians living in Nagorno-Karabakh not have a right to self determination? Is self determination only something Muslims living in China, Burma, and Israel get to have?
uziq
+492|3448
you make out like i am the one with strong ideological convictions/preferences when you are the guy literally saying elsewhere that you are glad that the weaker minority in x y z country are being methodically exterminated or re-educated. very confusing attitudes you have there.

you should read up on the history of that area rather than living out yet more 'clash of civilisations' fantasies on reddit.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Reddit isn't the only place where clash of civilizations is playing out. Between China and India alone you have almost half of the world's population and strangely both places have serious issues with their Muslim populations.

The U.S. and western Europe also have issues with violent Muslims. Between the U.S., North Africa, West Africa, Western Europe, the Middle East, India, the Philippines, Burma, and Eastern Africa you have by far the majority of the world's population and almost all of the world's Muslims. And all the places have issues with violent Muslims.

The only places that don't have issues with violent Muslims? Japan, Korea, Latin America, Eastern Europe...places with no Muslims.
uziq
+492|3448
muslims are persecuted in india by an extremely nationalist hindu government. how does india have a 'muslim problem'? can you explain to me? please give me a run down of modi's government's behaviour in jammu and kashmir in the last year. go on.

and, yes, china, which has subjugated every one of its non-Han provinces in the far west, and drawn international outcries and consternation for it (going back further than tibet). the problem there is definitely the muslims and not the other way around.

in both those cases you are laying the blame at the little guy, david rather than goliath. and yet in the azeri-armenian conflict you sympathise with the inverse?

you are a waste of time.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
So you are going to ignore the fact that anywhere Muslims exist is either in a state of religious conflict or Islamic domination?
uziq
+492|3448
there is no religious conflict with muslims in the west. extremists from syria or plane bombers inculcated in saudi arabia, sure. but you're dismissing the tens of millions of westernised muslims who live and co-exist just fine within secular democracies.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
A teacher just got beheaded by a guy upset about cartoons satirizing Muslim violence. These same cartoons got an office of writers shot up and a Jewish deli attacked because you know Jews. And those attacks took place just a few months before 10 Muslims ran around the same city killing 130 innocent French people.

But right no religious conflict at all. You sound like a Republican denying white supremacists violence in America but at least the white supremacists and Republicans are on the same side. You are defending people who would have shot you in the street if they knew you publish LGBT manuals.
uziq
+492|3448
LGBT manuals? i publish scientific research dipshit. what do you do again?

anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/oc … met-police

good for them i say.
uziq
+492|3448

SuperJail Warden wrote:

But right no religious conflict at all. You sound like a Republican denying white supremacists violence in America but at least the white supremacists and Republicans are on the same side. You are defending people who would have shot you in the street if they knew you publish LGBT manuals.
and, no. but the biggest changes to our societies in our lifetime will come from within. our own political systems are extremely polarized, not to say radicalized, and at a point of high-tension at present. huge numbers of voters, especially those under 30, are pressing for radical change to the system; and there's an equal reactionary movement from those in charge, the billionaire class, the oligarch class, the vested interests, etc. the biggest threats and conflicts we will see to order in our own time will come almost entirely from within, not from stray youths with beards self-detonating in the name of allah.

politically we are basically and essentially in the 1930s again, with massive upheaval and huge challenges ahead. the right-wing seem to very conveniently want to raise the spectre of islam as some 'existential threat' during this time. i just don't see it. in fact, i don't see that 'multiculturalism has been a total failure', either, especially not because of terrorism or extremists. the vast majority of the religious or ethnic minorities are peaceful, law-abiding citizens. they might have different mores, different customs, different family traditions and a different mode of dress, but they are not subversive elements seeking to destroy democracy. we co-exist in the same enterprise, which is pretty much the best i can hope for any pluralist democracy (and all modern democracies must be pluralist, make no mistakes about this; if you want to shut-out the outside world with ethno-states, think again about the comment that we are a similar situation as the 1930s).

you're talking about extremists and radicals who are almost always influenced by outside forces as proof that 'islam is causing conflict in democracies everywhere'. it's just not the case. many western countries have large, multi-generational communities of muslims - just as they do any other religious group, be it jews or sikhs or evangelical christians or mormons. they might not all be 'comme il faut' and they might not all lead their lives as you see fit, or as mainstream society practices, but again that's part of the banner of liberal democracy: come here and live out your strange private religious customs all you want, within the bounds of the common law. if you don't believe that, you're not a liberal in the widest sense of the term and what you're craving is authoritarianism of one stripe or another. i don't believe you seriously want this, beneath all of your catholic-subreddit bluster and posturing. you're a suburban chickenshit living at home, who has frankly confessed many times to having no desire for conflict, war, or to live in fear. i don't think you, of all people, seriously wants the state to take a keen interest in what you practice or do   within your own private life or domestic sphere.

99.99% of all people everywhere, regardless of race, religion or creed, just want to be able to get on in life in peace and without hassle. that's why i have no appetite for all this declamatory talk about 'multiculturalism has failed' and 'democracy is under threat'. it's hot rhetoric and i have no desire to heat things up, as they are. by alienating or polarizing more of that majority, you are only inviting more trouble. put the problems in their right perspective: abhor fundamentalism, extremism, terrorism. but making sweeping statements about an entire religion, which composes a quarter of all humanity? where do you get the appetite from for this crusader shit? you need to divorce yourself from your alarmist, sensationalist, drama-seeking imagination. go outside and get on with your life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

good fucking god, half the claptrap you write. you're avowedly anti-religious and yet you hold it against the jews for killing jesus? the fuck is going on in your demented little head?

the jews carried out larger pogroms than the holocaust? really? can you point these out? careful you don't refer back to mythical events in the old testament again. you'll be claiming that magic jews can part large bodies of water next!
On a per capita basis the jews genocide and dispossession of the palestinians - and lets remember this was planned and begun before Hitler's birth so it wasn't payback for anything - is comparable.

Who is to say whats mythical? I'm sure in 1,000 years they'll be writing in their own history the third invasion of Palestine was mythical, they were welcomed with open arms, the Palestinians gladly offered their homes and land and the Egyptians, Lebanese and Jordanians were delighted to have the chosen people as neighbours.

But however you look at it, isn't it strange to have a doctrine which tells its disciples they can rob, rape and murder anyone who stands in their way or has something they want?
It doesn't really make for a peaceful and sociable clique does it?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
lmao 'on a per capita basis' hahahaha. wow that's one way to look at the holocaust.

'okay so 11 million people were systematically killed in half a decade. but on a per capita basis it's not actually so bad ...'.

if you can't tell the difference between mythical-biblical history and actual objective facts then i don't know how to help you. might i recommend you read some fucking history?
Larssen
+99|1883
It's as though you're completely wiflully ignorant to how the terrorism dynamic has helped foster the current climate. 9/11 was one of the most significant event of our generation and has defined world events for years to come, including our internal political struggles. Through all its consequences, most prominently in the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, a refocused NATO, the rise of ISIS, how this affected growing migration, and all the further associated outbreaks of radicalism, this all helped create our own current polarised politics. Every far right party in the west significantly won electoral votes starting in the early 2000s.

To say that there is no crisis in Islam is absolutely laughable. It doesn't mean that you're instantly discriminatory to an entire religious group, uziq, it's an acknowledgement of the fact that there's a crisis of authority in the fact sense many have taken it upon themselves to speak for and act on behalf of the religious community (most prominently the radicals), an absorption of the faith system by nationalist entities for nationalist purposes, and its further mobilisation in conflicts between sunni and shia, not only in the iraqi civil war or between all the various proxy wars among the saudis and iranians, but also conflicts of  'lesser' magnitude such as in Somalia per al shabaab or in xinjiang among the uighur population.

Of course there's many external influences that you can denote as being 'at fault' for, or part of this dynamic. The uighurs are oppressed by the Chinese, the Somalis are exploited climate refugees, the Iraqi civil war wouldn't have happened without the invasion. Of course there are millions of European muslims, or jordanian ones, or Iranians, or Turkish ones, who live in peace and take no part in those events. It's not an indictment of their existence to say that within the entire, global religious community there are abberant sub-groups with a fascist, though decidedly Islamic fascist, agenda, and to denote that a crisis. Your entire analysis completely ignores the internal social dynamics that have to occur before a conflict even starts; someone doesn't pick up a weapon to shoot at a different group simply because of 'oppression' or 'poverty'. To say that the religious dimension in the creation of the social dynamics that ushered in this wave of conflicts is of no importance at all is to be purposefully blind. It is through a religious organisation, connotation and motivation that all of this is happening, and it is religion which is (ab)used to help frame, other and 'monster-fy' the enemy and ultimately mobilise its subjects into violence.

I'm sure you'll pick up a history book some day and read on the thirty years war or any number of conflicts that involved lots of christianity and hear you loudly proclaim that it wasn't about religion at all, because that would have been an offensive indictment of all the orthodox and coptic christians who were at that time no part of this war and lived their lives in peace. How dare those ridiculous historians call it a conflict about religion.

All the above is so far away from populist rightwing claptrap you should really re-examine your own political position and biases. Now in light of the recent terror attack I'd also like to post the following video, which I don't think any populist would be familiar with:

Alright. Moving on to Turkey. I can be short here: you love to tell other people to fucking read, but perhaps you should do some more reading of your own on the total breakdown of secularism and democracy in Turkey. It places bottom of the barrel on journalistic freedom, that secular military was purged after the failed coup attempt, the directorate of religious affairs budget has increased more than fourfold and its bureaucratic support staff more than doubled in the last decade, Erdogan is intently anti-western and obstructionist, all of this combining into highly undesireable, extensive attempts to influence and manipulate European muslim populations. Because it brings him votes. Now besides all these actions creating more unstable democracies here, he's using parts of our population, the diaspora, to keep intact his deeply repressive, autocratic state, which I find despicable. The move from Macron to initiate the creation of a French school of Islam directly affects Erdogan as well, because that aformentioned directorate of religious affairs trains and educates many European Imams in a conservative AKP Turkish nationalist-religious reading of the Qu'ran, hadiths and other texts. It will in the long run weaken the influence he has recently expanded.

This has NO RELATIONSHIP to Poland or Hungary, the political link and issues of which with western Europe are completely different in every way, beyond a surface reading that Orban and Duda are assholes as well. Does that mean I tolerate them? Absolutely not, they are literally threats to the integrity of the EU. But that's not exactly what we're goddamn well writing about in the wake of two terrorist attacks in France is it?

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-29 09:50:38)

uziq
+492|3448
i haven't denied at all that there is a serious problem with fascist islam. my point is that most mainstream muslims don't recognize that as their religion, either, including most turks and any other number of moderate islamic nations.

you making out that all turks living abroad love erdogan isn't accurate, either. just as many will proclaim him to be an idiot and to point to the exact same things as you are doing above as evidence of it. most metropolitan or educated turks know what erdogan is up to in the same way that most educated poles see through duda. yet you have no problem stigmatizing an entire group and making out that turks in ghettoes in the netherlands are all suicide bombers or turkish militants in training. that's highly fucking spurious.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-29 09:57:37)

uziq
+492|3448
this is what i said above about hot rhetoric and world leaders being irresponsibly divisive. nothing good will come of it. you have people on both sides now pandering to their reactionary, right-wing bases to drum up electoral support. macron aiming for voter capture from le pen's demagogue-right is no different from erdogan appealing to the anatolian goat farmers.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
https://old.reddit.com/r/fightporn/comm … ve_hockey/

The accepted violence of hockey really bothers me. If two black athletes beat each other on the football field or basketball court people would call them nigs but when white guys do it in hockey "it's the culture of the sport "

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard