SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth, what do you think of Crusader Kings 3?
I haven't bought it and don't intend to. The steam reviews are very positive but I suspect those reviews are from people who only casually played CK2. From hardcore players of CK2, there are a lot of complaints about features in CK2 missing in CK3. With a total of 1400 hours in CK2, I think I am a hardcore player. And as someone who did everything there is to do in CK2, I see no reason why I would want to play a prettier stripped down version of the game.

I didn't intend to play it before the user reviews came out anyway. CK2 is still perfect for what it is. Seeing numbers fighting numbers on a screen doesn't require fancy graphics. The only new release I was even marginally interested in would have included Total War still battles. In fact CK2's engine would still work perfectly in Total War style battles were grafted onto it. Just pause the game and give the player an option to fight or simulate a battle when they are initiated on the campaign map. Doesn't require reinventing the wheel.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think they would have to procedurally generate a lot of terrain and structures for that. Seems similar to my estimation of HoI4 at any rate. I'd have been fine with it being basically HoI3, but with no Russia lag when you speed up time.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I was looking forward to Star Wars Squadrons to maybe relive something like Tie Fighter Classic with modernized graphics.

Learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling STAR WARS™ single-player campaign set after the events of Return of the Jedi. Seen from alternating perspectives between 2 factions, iconic and emerging leaders on both sides are battling for the galaxy. The New Republic fights for freedom. The Empire demands order. We need you to join the galaxy’s finest.
Ugh. I don't know if it's just me, but that mechanic feels way overplayed. I don't like investing maybe what, 15 minutes into a mission just to be swapped to the opposite side to "undo" my progress in the next. Just give me standalone campaigns per faction. I don't think I'm being too picky, since I don't intend to play multiplayer vs.

Will wait until it's the price of a sandwich.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I still want a modern vr podracer
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You know that no human can fly a pod!

I suppose one nice thing about the Squadron game being something I'd rather wait for was that the preorder was just an avatar border for your Steam profile. I guess some people might have felt impelled to get it because of that, but not me.
Chou
+737|6760
Port Royale 4, I like it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I played a bit of Kenshi in recent days. Not a bad little game.

Pros: I like the idea of just gaining more attacks/etc. with skill-ups and the character skin/sliders changing as you get stronger. It's a very relaxed approach where all you really have to do is just let your guys do their assigned thing if you don't want to micromanage a fight. Can play in solo or RTS mode. Can be a robot if you don't want to mess with food. Can be a cyborg if you permanently lose a limb. Very sandbox from the start without bothering with the onus of a story hanging over your head. Different scenario choices for the start. Highly moddable with Steam workshop implementation.

Cons: Some of the textures are a bit muddy, and I guess moving between areas can lag a bit. Structures are kind of a pain to place level (they want to rotate to conform with the landscape, and it doesn't look very good for new construction). There isn't really a snap system for interior furniture, workbenches, and decoration (cabinets set like a full meter away from the wall look weird). Defense walls sometimes don't connect with the ground or other sections of wall properly. Some parts of the terrain can't be moved to or built on with no good visible reason for it. No campaign (for those who care about it) except what you make, so a little like Mount & Blade in that regard. A little grindy. No mounts means it takes forever to move across the gargantuan landscape. Mobs of raiders can get insane if you have a solo settlement (I might see if there's a mod for defense drones or automated turrets).

A youtuber has a video of a playthrough I watched a little of where he starts as a limbless torso wiggling its way through the desert, and I guess ends with terminator prosthetics and absurd stats. That gives you an idea of how hard you can make it if you want.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD
Would anybody who has a World of Warships account but hasn't played in over 90 days be able to do me a solid and become shipmates?  Here's my recruitment link.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Do you have to play any games?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Do you have to play any games?
Nope, in fact if you do, then you're no longer eligible to accept the recruitment center thing unless it also happens to be an account with less than 15 games played, so make sure you accept before you start playing again .  But if we do play together, we both get recruitment points, or if you play by yourself, I get points every time you play.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2020-10-20 07:16:49)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Ah I see. I don't have it installed at the moment and have only played PVE, so …
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Ah I see. I don't have it installed at the moment and have only played PVE, so …
You don’t have to have it installed, just click the link and login with your wargaming account and that’s it.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I haven't played in years. I'll see if I figure out my password for ya.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

If you don't know your account's email, I'll say that I've had good experiences with WG's support crew. They should be able to help you out. Might have to produce some sort of receipt of a WG transaction though?
uziq
+492|3422
i bought red dead redemption 2 for my pc, seeing as i put together a pretty good new build at the start of this year and have played ... nothing ... on it except for 2-3 months on a game released in 2004.

probably don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said before. never really enjoyed single-player games very much but it's a pretty nice world to spend a while in.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

RDR/GTA/Elder Scrolls have the same kind of life cycle for me. I'll play them up until the point I get bored, then leave with maybe 1/3 of the campaign done.

I hope that won't be true of Cyberpunk or VTM2.
uziq
+492|3422
i actually bought RDR2 to see if i could acquire a taste for cyberpunk.

i have very low tolerance for shitty writing, and at least rockstar games have a sort of humour and wit about them -- as juvenile as that can be sometimes. i really hope cyberpunk isn't some po-faced collision of bad cliches. i've already read william gibson. i have no desire to sit through 20 hours of bad pastiche of him.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Cyberpunk looks awful. The game will be a disappointment.

The only game I have been playing lately has been a strategy game from 2013. The PC upgrade did makes the whole thing run better though.

I am happy I bought a new PC when COVID hit. My old PC could handle the big virtual classes but considering my home PC is now my work PC the purchase was justified.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I can ignore story to some extent if the game can set a good atmosphere or has other like redeeming attributes. VTM Bloodlines was a good example. I've played through that one as each clan.

I'll still probably only buy Cyberpunk on sale, though.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Cyberpunk looks awful. The game will be a disappointment.

The only game I have been playing lately has been a strategy game from 2013. The PC upgrade did makes the whole thing run better though.

I am happy I bought a new PC when COVID hit. My old PC could handle the big virtual classes but considering my home PC is now my work PC the purchase was justified.
yep, i agree. buying a new desktop and a huge curved screen has made the last year or so pretty painless. can't state the value of that enough.

probably going to get a nice herman miller chair or something, anticipating at least another 3-4 months of this.

cyberpunk does look borderline very bad and a potentially huge flop. all the actual gameplay footage i've seen looks like a way subpar-GTA. and i'm not even particularly interested in GTA. haven't touched that series since GTA IV.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

GTA 5 is actually a pleasure to explore. Very nice texture work for a large world. Snow and rain look amazing for its time. It's just that things like the tennis or golf minigames are more engaging than heist missions.

I think GTA 4 was the one where your cousin interrupted you with a text every 2 minutes? At least that's gone.

If you want over-the-top humor though, stick with Saints Row.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The Grand Theft Auto series is effectively dead due to it now being a pay to win online game. Last game was released back in 2013.

I never finished the campaign of GTA V anyway. The story was weak and the humor was off putting even in 2013.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

GTA had some interesting modded RP servers. I never took part, but saw some videos. Evading player-police who were communicating with each other looked more challenging/interesting than the cruise-missile squad car AI.

The P2W aspect can otherwise go die in a hole.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I played RDR2 earlier this year mainly for a similar reason in that I really like the Western setting and haven't played any other games in it. I'm still just dicking around early in the story hunting, fishing, and exploring because I like the environment. My meta-game is that Arthur Morgan likes to name his horses after types of cheese.

No desire to see whatever their Online play is like in that, really.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD

DesertFox- wrote:

I haven't played in years. I'll see if I figure out my password for ya.
Thanks, I would appreciate that!

I figure it was either you or Newbie that accepted the recruitment thing yesterday, as I have at least one new name that I don't recognize in there: TheKaiser64

Last edited by _j5689_ (2020-10-22 05:20:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard