uziq
+492|3422
in essence the guy was accusing them of 'deism', as if a force/creator, call it a god if you want, set-up the universe and then just hit 'go'. the prime mover stuff from aristotle, in other words. scientists don't really think that way, or, at least, it's far more nuanced than that. to say nothing of chaos theory, quantum physics, entropy, and any other number of developments that complicate such a rigid and mechanistic model.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Stoners arguing about cosmology, this is great.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
the people in the video are all much more qualified than you. and i work on prestigious AAS journals as a large part of my job. i can talk about these things in general terms (and said straightaway of which i am not qualified to talk).

this is precisely why i said the video sums up the best thing about the scientific spirit, and you the worst. actual top-level scientists are humble and measure their words and thinking. you are so arrogant that you think being an engineer working on a lathe makes you master of the universe. most of those scientists, whilst being world-leading in their fields, are willing even to listen to a crank with a parapsychological theory about ‘morphic resonances’. you think you have the answer to everything and can dismiss half of all human knowledge out of hand.

most of the scientists i interact with on a daily basis, as well as being immeasurably smarter than you, would also readily admit that they probably couldn’t converse with or grasp even the work of their colleagues in the same corridor. you think you have the measure of the universe and know the worth of everything.

there’s something really very quite sad about that, at your age.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you think you have the answer to everything and can dismiss half of all human knowledge out of hand
you think you have the measure of the universe and know the worth of everything.
No I do believe thats you
you think being an engineer working on a lathe
You have literally no idea what engineers do

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-19 03:17:36)

uziq
+492|3422
when have i ever dismissed scientific knowledge? i don't even entertain these utterly ridiculous 'arts versus sciences' arguments. i never have done. i mock at you because you have turned your own back-garden of knowledge and profession into the sum-total of all that is worthy in human achievement. of course it's a position ripe for mocking. i don't seriously entertain any low opinion of engineers, let alone pure scientists.

and obviously i do know what engineers do, but i just think you, of all people, working in a small australian firm and regularly venting your spleen and workplace frustrations here, cuts a very funny picture indeed when you condescend about, well, just about everything and everyone else. i'm sure you're really the master of the universe, dil-derp.

you, on the other hand, have shown over the years a persistent lack of a clue about what historians do, or any other number of academics. at least jay eventually came around and confessed to his ignorance, and recanted some of his more arrogant assertions. you haven't mellowed at all in your wrongheadedness: still raging against the dying of the light. hence why i think most people find you a bit of a sad figure.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-19 03:31:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've never claimed anything for myself at all, all I've said is history and arts graduates should not assume they know everything and can ignore experts - which they seem to do with incredible arrogance and routine and repeated abject failure. Reading a book at leisure is very different from creating the future after all.
You take this as a personal attack - bad luck for you.
uziq
+492|3422
who are the 'experts' at national leadership or diplomacy? jurisprudence and questions of justice? matters of ethics and societal norms? people with materials science degrees from imperial college?

again, if you had much of a clue about policy-making, you would probably moderate your views. instead you seem to think there's a science PhD to solve every single human question.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
History, law and arts graduate have failed, lets try someone else

https://static.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20190709/c1_3252903.jpg

Musicians couldn't do a worse job, lets try them.

But for cosmology I'd stick with maths and physics experts.
uziq
+492|3422
the leaders of executives are not the experts, dilbert. are you dense? we live in a democracy, not a technocracy. the top job doesn't go to the biggest brain who can assemble and direct the whole picture. why do you always think like a child about this? bojo's incompetence as a leader is not because of the subject he read for undergraduate. boris has not made himself an expert in anything. only you seem to think that an undergraduate degree determines the cast of someone's mind and actions for their entire life. it is sheerly fucking inane.

here is someone who is a non-scientific expert, and who has succeeded very well.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/cc689470c4d20479ee07f478c6b2ad0afec2606b/0_54_5713_3427/master/5713.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=1e8798ae51fc14bd44cad5c9108eb559
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I can't wrap my head around the way of thinking that "experts are good (we should listen to what they have to say!)," but also that "experts have failed and that it's time to bring in experts from completely different fields of expertise to fix The Problem." Like, would you go to a podiatrist for a root canal? Would you hire a career truck mechanic as your defense attorney? Oh you don't want to do that? Too afraid to shake things up?

Running people like numbers has probably been a cause of much human misery. Yes, let's just oust the politicians and bring in a golden age of engineer dictatorships. Utopia in five years.

For dilbert, I can only imagine it's ultimately from behind a troll mask. But that doesn't make it look any better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
We should shoot all economist though. Can you imagine a world without economist?
https://i.imgur.com/TrtMPC2.gif
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uziq's not a stoner and it was a discussion not an argument.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3422
correct, i've tried weed about once or twice ever and never had any interest in it, let alone 'stoner' culture.

just usual arrogance from dilbert. because he can do maths he automatically is the expert on cosmology and any speculative questions or discussion is lol-worthy.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
I was just calling myself a stoner lol

here's the relevant video that made me take pause with the constants != constant thing

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I was supposed to do mescaline at Joshua Tree this past weekend and look at moonscapes but my friend couldn't leave the Alaskan bush fast enough so I didn't get to do any hallucinogens

Joshua Tree is still amazing, though.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

Dilbert_X wrote:

History, law and arts graduate have failed, lets try someone else

https://static.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20190709/c1_3252903.jpg

Musicians couldn't do a worse job, lets try them.

But for cosmology I'd stick with maths and physics experts.
Wait a minute - what is this multi-scoop sort of cone he's got? They're years ahead of us.
uziq
+492|3422
take it in a pot always. tempt the cone gods at ye peril.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

Wait a minute - what is this multi-scoop sort of cone he's got? They're years ahead of us.
No, we're fucking decades ahead skip to 3:10

uziq
+492|3422
quite amazing how dilbert is more literate in ali g and ‘idiocracy’ references than in actual history. did this guy check out on emotional development at 14 or something?

dilbert: why would anyone study history? historical knowledge is pointless, we need future problem solvers.
also dilbert: check this time stamp. i have an encyclopaedic knowledge of minor spoof shows and movies from the 90s and early 00s.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-20 01:27:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Amazing how the future never fails to blindside you.
uziq
+492|3422
to what are you referring when you keep producing that line? brexit? is that it? i’ve lived in the UK for the last 30 years. brexit was highly generational. my parents and grandparents voted to leave. let me tell you, ‘blindsided’ i wasn’t. depressed and frustrated, maybe. but you making out i am some naive bienpensant liberal who ‘isn’t in touch with real england’ is pretty fucking hopeless. i’m from the shires not islington.

also lmao, nobody who studies history thinks it gives them powers of prophecy, dilbert. what is it with you lapsing into religious-magical thinking all the time? whether it’s your faith that science is the universal key to human questions or your frankly idiotic assumption that history as a discipline is somehow akin to horoscopes. you keep leaping into the deep waters of faith thinking like a jabbering pentecostal idiot.

talk to shahter and the dialectical materialists if you want to speak to someone who is sure that they have divined the 'iron laws' of history and can predict the progress of the future. that isn't mainstream western historiography.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-20 02:00:47)

Larssen
+99|1857
Perhaps these posts are a realtime feed of Dilbert's decline into senility. Each next submission seems to have a lower word count, more sweeping statements, and a deeper regression into a childlike perspective on the world around him. In the end he will only be able to write in simplistic terms and monosyllables, like a decrepit 80 year old in a rocking chair in a retirement home, uttering to himself 'engineer perfect', 'historian bad', 'I hate the blacks' whilst quoting random phrases from idiocracy. I imagine his caretakers will keep that film on repeat as it will be the only thing that still engages his feeble mind and keeps him quiet. Eat your potato mash and shut up dilderp, stop sexually harassing and racially denigrating the chinese nurse, etc...

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-20 04:21:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You drone on and on, yet look at how you and your kind have thoroughly failed despite all the supposed historical enlightenment.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

Finray wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uziq's not a stoner and it was a discussion not an argument.
https://i.imgur.com/2I3HIty.png

Fuckin' ripper of a page turner, at that
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3422
when have historians ever led a government in calamity?

an undergraduate degree doesn't make someone an expert in anything.

margaret thatcher wasn't a 'real scientist' with her oxford chemistry BSc, but boris johnson is the representative of all professional historians ever with his blagged BA?

lol oh okay.

you do realise that people responsible for these 'blindsided' polls are mathematicians and statisticians, right? pollsters building models don't have classics degrees.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-20 07:20:18)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard